Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
My own curiosity is about how LE (in any case but especially this one) can rule out self-harm or suicide.

They don't know her, and suicidal people often take others by surprise. Sometimes, their mood and activity level improves right before they commit the act, as they are relieved to have finally decided a way out of an intolerable, painful situation (mental pain is real, depression is real).

Does anyone know how LE find themselves expert in such a matter or what kinds of clues they'd take as indicating "not a suicide"? I'm guessing it's totally circumstantial and practical - they didn't find her in the river or the reservoir, which would be obvious places for such an act.

But do they know everything about Suzanne? I don't see how they can. I've worked in a lot of psychiatric settings over the years (as a researcher), and suicides take even the most involved psychiatrists by surprise. People can be talking constantly about suicide and never do it, and someone else never mentions is and then does it. When it happens, everyone, even professionals, wrack their brains for clues. From that, there have been studies and publications about how an improvement in mood, giving things away, increased cheerfulness, reaching out to old friends and having a last conversation with each family member (all while being cheerful or at least not depressed-sounding) have emerged as prior "clues."

Given all that, why would LE be so certain it's not suicide? Just curious about your thoughts.

My own curiosity is about how LE (in any case but especially this one) can rule out self-harm or suicide.

They don't know her, and suicidal people often take others by surprise. Sometimes, their mood and activity level improves right before they commit the act, as they are relieved to have finally decided a way out of an intolerable, painful situation (mental pain is real, depression is real).

Does anyone know how LE find themselves expert in such a matter or what kinds of clues they'd take as indicating "not a suicide"? I'm guessing it's totally circumstantial and practical - they didn't find her in the river or the reservoir, which would be obvious places for such an act.

But do they know everything about Suzanne? I don't see how they can. I've worked in a lot of psychiatric settings over the years (as a researcher), and suicides take even the most involved psychiatrists by surprise. People can be talking constantly about suicide and never do it, and someone else never mentions is and then does it. When it happens, everyone, even professionals, wrack their brains for clues. From that, there have been studies and publications about how an improvement in mood, giving things away, increased cheerfulness, reaching out to old friends and having a last conversation with each family member (all while being cheerful or at least not depressed-sounding) have emerged as prior "clues."

Given all that, why would LE be so certain it's not suicide? Just curious about your thoughts.

I have been absolutely shocked at a few cases that turned out to be suicide. In this case, I don't think it is about Suzanne's state of mind, but rather an abundance of evidence that leads to another conclusion. We have absolutely no way to know what direction is. I don't anyway.

The easiest answer is they haven't ruled it out. In the sheriff's presser, he said it's not ruled out, but they don't suspect it.

Someone asked yesterday which day the missing flyer with “Last seen in this helmet” was posted to the family page?

The photo is timestamped and was posted to the page last Thursday, “May 14th at 11:43 AM at the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office”.

Find Suzanne Morphew

Attachments

• C473931F-D0EC-468E-AE44-C478BAD89C22.jpeg
    C473931F-D0EC-468E-AE44-C478BAD89C22.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 29
Well then, that's how to go about it from a distance !! Thank you. Sounds like a special place.
But they aren't in Salida.

They are in an isolated house at elevation (8800 ft) about 1800 ft higher than Salida ( they are in colder, more snowy elevation), and about 15 miles from town. Salida does look nice, small, a little western town.

I think you have to be careful in thinking the conditions in their location are going to be like Salida

Is this their vacation home? They still have their Indiana home? One poster said awhile back they looked it up and saw the Indy home was sold.

Agree, that was excellent information for us! Thank you @Dave F.

WRT the bolded-by-me part, my response was exactly the opposite! :D But it did make me want to hike that trail. Retirement in CO is a pipe dream for me.

This is probably a dumb question... Are the biking trails separate from hiking trails? I would be freaked out if I were hiking on that trail and had to keep moving out of the way. Not that I wouldn't be happy to provide "right of way" to the fast-moving bikes, but because it seems they would be on top of you before you knew they were there.

Edited for grammar. :oops:

Bikers vs hikers is a BIG controversial issue in recreational areas. There have been some nasty incidents of antagonism in these regions. Someone on one of the first threads showed a sabotage in the Salida area involving a board with what looked like 6-inch nails that had been only partially buried just under the landing of a jump that bikers had set up - probably teen kids and maybe it was on someone's property. But it was sabotage that would clearly damage the bike and possibly impale a kid with a 6" spike. Not Good.

maybe searchers will find her somewhere around Denver?

I really hope... that she staged this, took off on her own, told her daughters that she needed to get away from home and is about to connect with LE to call off the dogs because she's safe... sigh

Three things cannot be long hidden the sun the moon and the truth ... I think her being a christian with good daughters and what do good daughters do ? First thing is call mom on Mother's Day morning ... That, I think would establish somewhat of a time line as to ...was she home on that day..

Perhaps signs of a struggle, like ripped out hair, or an item with blood on it, or a broken item.

Speculation only.

Jmoo. Thoughtful dissection. My perceived disconnect of LE and family are a problem that I can't resolve in any positive way. As more information is revealed, perhaps that perception will change. It is reassuring that LE inlisted help from FBI early. MOO
Edited, this was a reply to Ontario Mom's last post.

Last edited:
Agree, that was excellent information for us! Thank you @Dave F.

WRT the bolded-by-me part, my response was exactly the opposite! :D But it did make me want to hike that trail. Retirement in CO is a pipe dream for me.

This is probably a dumb question... Are the biking trails separate from hiking trails? I would be freaked out if I were hiking on that trail and had to keep moving out of the way. Not that I wouldn't be happy to provide "right of way" to the fast-moving bikes, but because it seems they would be on top of you before you knew they were there.

Edited for grammar. :oops:

Earlier in one of the threads, someone commented about booby traps set for mountain bikers and the tension between bikers and hikers. We have that tension here as well and part of it is definitely due to what you are describing. It can be startling if you're either one, frankly. Most of our trails allow both.

One of the more intriguing aspects right now is the inclusion of the CBI and FBI. I believe the CBI inclusion would indicate reason to be investigating outside the county, and FBI would indicate investigating across state lines.

The other thing I find interesting is Suzanne having a non-profit registered to her, but it not having an operational website. A few of the oddities around that:
-Registered tax exempt non profit since August 2014 (Suzanne R Morphew Hope Foundation Inc - Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica)
-For a couple with presumably high net worth based on owning at least $2M+ in personal real estate, there isn't much financial activity reported by her non-profit. Just $6,680 in assets and anywhere between nothing listed and $1,000 - $4,680 in annual income for the non profit. SUZANNE R MORPHEW HOPE FOUNDATION INC | Open990
-The non-profit was originally set up in IN, but was dissolved and re-registered in CO in February 2020. Interesting timing since they lived in CO since 2018, and Feb 2020 is close to the current incident. (https://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/BusinessEntityCriteriaExt.do?resetTransTyp=Y)
-In addition to Suzanne & Barry, three other people are listed as officers/directors of her Non-profit: <modsnip: Please do not bring the names of innocent individuals to the thread> (Suzanne R Morphew Hope Foundation Inc, Form 990-EZ - Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica) That is a lot of 'key employees' for a non-profit that essentially has no activity
-Why have so many key employees, and why go through the effort to re-register the non-profit in CO so recently, when there is so little activity with the non-profit? Many people donate more to charities, file the contributions with their personal taxes, and take the deduction.

I'm not a tax expert, but there are much better vehicles for holding such small amounts of cash for charitable considerations that have a lot less requirements (990 tax filing, separate legal entity) than what I can see on the surface of her non-profit.

It's hard to understand why this non-profit existed and what it did if anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this their vacation home? They still have their Indiana home? One poster said awhile back they looked it up and saw the Indy home was sold.
qPublic.net - Chaffee County, CO - Report: R368531400097

Chaffee County Assessor - just type in Morphew after you agree to the disclaimers - not sure if it's their homestead (do they have that in CO?) - will check the tax collector in a bit - really no information that I can find about permanent home vs home still owned in IN...
JMO

One of the more intriguing aspects right now is the inclusion of the CBI and FBI. I believe the CBI inclusion would indicate reason to be investigating outside the county, and FBI would indicate investigating across state lines.

The other thing I find interesting is Suzanne having a non-profit registered to her, but it not having an operational website. A few of the oddities around that:
-Registered tax exempt non profit since August 2014 (Suzanne R Morphew Hope Foundation Inc - Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica)
-For a couple with presumably high net worth based on owning at least $2M+ in personal real estate, there isn't much financial activity reported by her non-profit. Just $6,680 in assets and anywhere between nothing listed and $1,000 - $4,680 in annual income for the non profit. SUZANNE R MORPHEW HOPE FOUNDATION INC | Open990
-The non-profit was originally set up in IN, but was dissolved and re-registered in CO in February 2020. Interesting timing since they lived in CO since 2018, and Feb 2020 is close to the current incident. (https://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/BusinessEntityCriteriaExt.do?resetTransTyp=Y)
-In addition to Suzanne & Barry, three other people are listed as officers/directors of her Non-profit: <modsnip: Please do not bring the names of innocent individuals to the thread> (Suzanne R Morphew Hope Foundation Inc, Form 990-EZ - Nonprofit Explorer - ProPublica) That is a lot of 'key employees' for a non-profit that essentially has no activity
-Why have so many key employees, and why go through the effort to re-register the non-profit in CO so recently, when there is so little activity with the non-profit? Many people donate more to charities, file the contributions with their personal taxes, and take the deduction.

I'm not a tax expert, but there are much better vehicles for holding such small amounts of cash for charitable considerations that have a lot less requirements (990 tax filing, separate legal entity) than what I can see on the surface of her non-profit.

It's hard to understand why this non-profit existed and what it did if anything?

I think it looks like a pretty normal personal charity used to facilitate donations (probably from other church members) and/or to get a tax break on their own contributions. Probably funded a missionary trip or two -- likely that they and the other key employees actually went on. Possibly been less active of late if Suzanne has been struggling with health issues/having ongoing treatments, but re-registered in CO because it still has cash subject to legal constraints.

ETA: FWIW, I think there is 0 chance that this has anything to do with her disappearance.

As someone else pointed out in another page of these threads ( ie: this is a good thought and not my idea) : Maybe it was just giving out Bibles or something low key.

My guess is that it seemed like a good idea at the time, but it ran out of steam and SM lost interest, or her health issues intervened.

And I agree. This is not at all related to her disappearance.

Many non-profits don't have a website - especially small ones. Also, if you are not asking for donations, or providing grants, why would you need a website?

My guess is that this lovely family set up the non-profit for future activities.

Also, a non-profit can be set up by wealthy people to receive a portion of a future inheritance - to save on taxes, of course. But also, the mindset is why give it to the government when I can give it to my foundation and do charitable work in line with my beliefs. I mean, they aren't getting out of all taxes, but they can sure decrease them. And bonus, it's money you can spend supporting causes/people you deem worthy.

Good morning. Gosh I’ve been away from WS for so long, since tapatalk went bye bye - finally made my way back to find this case/thread. I’m finally caught up.

It seems kind of silly to post because you’ve all said everything that can possibly be said given the extremely limited info we have. You’re all amazing by the way.

Opinion-wise, I guess I “wish” it was just an accident and that Suzanne will be found soon, tired and dehydrated and maybe injured - it’s weird to say that seems the best possible outcome, unless she really HAS been kidnapped for ransom and will be returned unharmed for money, though I think that’s not even remotely the case. Just doesn’t happen, not really, though of course it could.

One thought, if she was “taken”, and by that I don’t mean kidnapped, more stalker-type scenarios, as if they knew she’d be alone that weekend, etc and figured it was a good time to make their move, I truly don’t think that she’d have been taken from the home ON Mother’s Day. Too much likelihood of daughter(s) being there to celebrate, etc. (of course covid could take all that off the playing field).

IF it’s a stalker that knows Suzanne well enough to know the details of her life, ie., husband away, younger daughter gone (camping?), older daughter away, then it being MD not a factor.

I don’t think MOO that whatever happened happened on the 10th. If anything, I think she couldn’t be REACHED on the 10th and that may have triggered the escalation that led to 911 being called. (Assuming it was family that asked the neighbor to call and not the neighbor having reason to call on her own).

Sheesh for not having anything to say, I’m being long-winded.

I want to throw out one more thing. I think the real things that affect our thought process about this, at least for me, is 1) the reward money being offered so quickly, and 2) the terrain where she supposedly was biking. It occurred to me if she was biking on a flat road surrounded by prairie land, then the idea of her being lost in vast mountain terrain would be off the table. You find a bike next to a field, you’re pretty sure she didn’t have an accident due to animals/terrain, etc.

So if we take the terrain out of it, and by that I mean though she may be mountain biking but IF the bike was easily found by the road she never made to a trail, and we believe she WAS biking that day, then we’re left with a bigger likelihood of knowing it was an abduction, or hit-and-take/hide-the-body-run. If we DON’T believe she was biking then I lean toward “something” happening at the home any time from May 8 - 10 based on LE’s video preservation requests.

ok I’ve muddied my own waters enough with my rambling. Guess I had too much to say after all. Blame it on being away from WS so long!

Praying today is the day Suzanne is returned home safely.

All above is MOO/speculation

As someone else pointed out in another page of these threads ( ie: this is a good thought and not my idea) : Maybe it was just giving out Bibles or something low key.

My guess is that it seemed like a good idea at the time, but it ran out of steam and SM lost interest, or her health issues intervened.

And I agree. This is not at all related to her disappearance.
I don't think Suzanne's foundation was "doing" anything yet. If I remember what I read correctly, the foundation has only taken in funds to this point. I don't remember seeing any expenses listed on the 990 (so no employees, either - only officers/directors, who do not necessarily receive compensation).

Good morning. Gosh I’ve been away from WS for so long, since tapatalk went bye bye - finally made my way back to find this case/thread. I’m finally caught up.

It seems kind of silly to post because you’ve all said everything that can possibly be said given the extremely limited info we have. You’re all amazing by the way.

Opinion-wise, I guess I “wish” it was just an accident and that Suzanne will be found soon, tired and dehydrated and maybe injured - it’s weird to say that seems the best possible outcome, unless she really HAS been kidnapped for ransom and will be returned unharmed for money, though I think that’s not even remotely the case. Just doesn’t happen, not really, though of course it could.

One thought, if she was “taken”, and by that I don’t mean kidnapped, more stalker-type scenarios, as if they knew she’d be alone that weekend, etc and figured it was a good time to make their move, I truly don’t think that she’d have been taken from the home ON Mother’s Day. Too much likelihood of daughter(s) being there to celebrate, etc. (of course covid could take all that off the playing field).

IF it’s a stalker that knows Suzanne well enough to know the details of her life, ie., husband away, younger daughter gone (camping?), older daughter away, then it being MD not a factor.

I don’t think MOO that whatever happened happened on the 10th. If anything, I think she couldn’t be REACHED on the 10th and that may have triggered the escalation that led to 911 being called. (Assuming it was family that asked the neighbor to call and not the neighbor having reason to call on her own).

Sheesh for not having anything to say, I’m being long-winded.

I want to throw out one more thing. I think the real things that affect our thought process about this, at least for me, is 1) the reward money being offered so quickly, and 2) the terrain where she supposedly was biking. It occurred to me if she was biking on a flat road surrounded by prairie land, then the idea of her being lost in vast mountain terrain would be off the table. You find a bike next to a field, you’re pretty sure she didn’t have an accident due to animals/terrain, etc.

So if we take the terrain out of it, and we believe she WAS biking that day, then we’re left with a bigger likelihood of knowing it was an abduction, or hit-and-take/hide-the-body-run. If we DON’T believe she was biking then I lean toward “something” happening at the home any time from May 8 - 10 based on LE’s video preservation requests.

ok I’ve muddied my own waters enough with my rambling. Guess I had too much to say after all. Blame it on being away from WS so long!

Praying today is the day Suzanne is returned home safely.

All above is MOO/speculation

Welcome back Limecat! Nice to see you and your crazy funny avatar again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members