Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much love for Andy, PE, WS, LS and all of the youtubers out there covering this when our own media in CO have not done a fantastic job. Even a shout out to DM who was the only media outlet sometimes to give atleast some information (I know they got things wrong too). We were all tuned in to the highest degree and the let down is palpable but also the strength behind it.

I am so grateful that Andy was able to do whatever he could for the family and what an AMAZING effort he put in!! I was also nervous that the coming snow would destroy anything that was visible. I think they accomplished so much more than I ever thought possible and although I wanted an answer, I think they did what they came to do. PE you are such an amazing asset to the cold case community and I want to see you all solve cases ( as well as this one!). I knew Andy had a very small chance of finding that needle in a haystack but think that he shed light on so many things that will now go forward as part of the investigation and will make some certain people aware that people are watching.

It will be interesting to see what transpires in the coming calm months ahead. No doubt that whoever is responsible will feel very safe that they did not get caught.

Thank you WS! Its so hard to be sad at the outcome but amazed at the group of people here and all included in the search and see how much goodness is still in the world.

Well, as deflating as this news is, I think we've all thought this was very possibly going to be a no body case. I have to believe that LE has a pretty good circumstantial case against BM - knowing that we're only aware of some of the evidence they have and it's pretty compelling, IMO. One of my favorite TV shows is "Cold Justice" and I love the way Kelly Siegler (former DA) describes a circumstantial case.... how every piece of evidence is like a pencil. By itself, it may not be very strong (easily snapped with your fingers) - but when you put all the circumstantial pieces together, they become strong (just like holding a handful of pencils that you can no longer snap with your fingers). Here's to hoping they continue to build a strong circumstantial case (one where they can establish a timeline that shows BM had opportunity to commit the crime, uses digital evidence to catch BM in lies or expose circumstances for which he doesn't have a reasonable explanation, has some forensic evidence from the house, and other eyewitness testimony that fits the DA's narrative of what happened). Maybe most importantly, I hope they have a district attorney who is comfortable moving forward with such a case. These take a long time to build, as they only have one shot and I think they always have to consider waiting for another tip, another lead, another piece of evidence that might come in that can make a difference. So I don't think this will happen anytime soon, but am still hopeful it will happen eventually. MOO.

Well, as deflating as this news is, I think we've all thought this was very possibly going to be a no body case. I have to believe that LE has a pretty good circumstantial case against BM - knowing that we're only aware of some of the evidence they have and it's pretty compelling, IMO. One of my favorite TV shows is "Cold Justice" and I love the way Kelly Siegler (former DA) describes a circumstantial case.... how every piece of evidence is like a pencil. By itself, it may not be very strong (easily snapped with your fingers) - but when you put all the circumstantial pieces together, they become strong (just like holding a handful of pencils that you can no longer snap with your fingers). Here's to hoping they continue to build a strong circumstantial case (one where they can establish a timeline that shows BM had opportunity to commit the crime, uses digital evidence to catch BM in lies or expose circumstances for which he doesn't have a reasonable explanation, has some forensic evidence from the house, and other eyewitness testimony that fits the DA's narrative of what happened). Maybe most importantly, I hope they have a district attorney who is comfortable moving forward with such a case. These take a long time to build, as they only have one shot and I think they always have to consider waiting for another tip, another lead, another piece of evidence that might come in that can make a difference. So I don't think this will happen anytime soon, but am still hopeful it will happen eventually. MOO.
I was thinking about all of you in IN and how hard this may be for those that knew and loved SM - I believe in justice but I think it will be awhile
IMO

Andy makes the point -- they searched and searched and didn't find her -- what does that mean? Somebody went to great lengths to hide her. Who does that? A rapist? A robber?

Without saying it, he said it.

JMO
bbm
Exactly.

"Who does that" --A spouse who is unwilling to let someone go , as they might feel they "own" that person.
"A rapist" --Domestic abuse ? Andy mentioned Suzanne was possibly in one of those groups to seek help or even to comfort.
After what little we've heard of her--she sounds like a caring person who would reach out to help even in her own time of need. :(
"A robber" -- Right there.
Spending money that was in Suzanne's name that he had no right to whilst she was alive.
BM may be a thief as well as a killer.
After possibly coercing the daughter to sign it over.

MOO

I thought we were told this was not true?

Andrew Moorman, Morphew’s brother, told FOX31 about the discovery around 12:30 p.m. on Monday.

The discover was made by search dogs in Poncha Springs and is on land owned by Morphew’s husband, Barry. It’s located about 20 minutes from where they lived together with their daughters.

None of the dog hits panned out after CCSO/FBI/CBI investigated.
None of the three properties investigated with cadaver dogs are owned by BM -- this was just bad reporting. Also, there's no evidence BM owns property in PS or that Poncha Springs was the subject of a search. That's why this search suffered without local media coverage. MOO

I respectfully disagree. Releasing information to the public is the default position, not the exception. In our system of government, police officers are given a lot of discretion; the only way to exercise meaningful oversight is to have public disclosure of information. Moreover, taxpayers foot the bill for police, through property taxes and through state and federal grants: How else will taxpayers know that they are getting their money's worth unless information is disclosed?

In some specific instances involving a criminal investigation, certain exceptions to the general rule of disclosure do exist. It's reasonable to not disclose children's names to protect them both physically and from unwanted attention. It's also fine to keep certain small details secret to ensure that the inevitable false confessions can be weeded out. There may be a few other exceptions as well, such as personal information of officers (SSNs, addresses).
Well, up until about a month ago the public was not aware of the overwhelming odor of chlorine in the hotel and the strong smell of bleach in the Morphew home. We didn't know anything about BM's strange behavior at the beach site and that he had seemingly not prepared for the wall repairment job. Nobody knew about the huge gaps in the timeline.

The public had heard nothing about BM being offered two lie detector tests and a voice analysis test to help clear him, and that he refused. Instead we heard BM state that he had been cleared a couple of weeks ago.

The construction site was searched early on and LE stated they found no connection to her disappearance. Then, suddenly, it looks like there is a good chance her body is buried there.

Would investigators really be comfortable with all these details being released? The PE guys stated that back in the day they were transparent when it came to a case like this. They acknowledged that in present times, LE "needs" to be less transparent. In the age of SM, news travels fast, and speculation and rumors can be mistaken for facts. Couldn't all this hinder the investigation? Could it potentially taint the jury pool and wouldn't investigators be concerned about this?

And what about releasing important details about the case that only the suspect would know? Wouldn't detectives be at a disadvantage if this information became public? Do they really want the perp to know what they know? Do they really owe that to the public at the risk of harming the investigation?

Last edited:
I ‘think’ BM did it but @lamlawindy ‘s reminders of the law always bring me back to earth. I’m glad we live in a country where you can’t put a man in prison because;

1. He doesn’t act the way I think he should act when his wife goes missing.
2. Lots of people decide he is guilty based on third party hearsay from her brother and others about what people are telling him when we haven’t heard directly from those people and had a chance to access their credibility.
3. Where people look at his every action and decide to take the worst possible view of why he did something.

Andy (with PE’s help) has done a great thing. If every missing person had such a wonderful advocate, we would have a lot fewer still missing I think.

After the sheriffs latest press release, I’m a lot more hopeful now that the sheriff office, cbi and fbi will find the evidence to convict the person responsible for her disappearance and make him pay. LE is the employee of the tax payer. I’m glad they have decided to communicate with us finally. Nothing they said could harm the case that I can see, but it certainly reassured they are doing what is needed to bring closure to it.

MOO

None of the dog hits panned out after CCSO/FBI/CBI investigated.
None of the three properties investigated with cadaver dogs are owned by BM -- this was just bad reporting. Also, there's no evidence BM owns property in PS or that Poncha Springs was the subject of a search. That's why this search suffered without local media coverage. MOO
Not sure I'd agree with bad reporting just yet.

Listening to PE Update 6. I now get why Chris was upset. Briefly it has to do with "chain of custody" once LE said they were taking over they should have stayed. LE claims they did have the property under surveillance but it wasn't known to Andy. Don't know how long that was the case last evening or when Andy was told they were there, he just knew they had left.

As to the communication (or lack there of) I thought Chris made a great point....the reality is LE works for us...make an effort to communicate.

Taking notes but by tomorrow if not sooner there should be a transcript. Andy is on...sad but grateful for the experience and Chris is begging for leads to end this for Gene's sake, his cancer kicked up again today, new tumors.

It was pointed out that Andy is committed and down to earth and many locals who knew Suzanne felt she was the same way. Andy remarked he used sonar, drones, dogs, technology, horses, psychics, he used everything he could.

ETA..not one lost or injured with 700+ searching. Why didn't LE provide a source for approved dogs? Could have saved a lot of stress and heartache. Learning lessons folks. Suzanne's story has made it to Europe today...now the world is looking...

Wishing to hit a love button on your post!

As we ponder who could have done this I Thought id share some interesting info about female homicide victims. The data from the chart came from a study called "Characteristics of spousal homicide perpetrators: a study of all cases of spousal homicide in Sweden 1990–1999. and comes from a study of all cases of spouse homicide in Sweden between 1990 and 1999 (n = 164), using all other cases of homicide in Sweden during the same period as the control group (n = 690)."

I may or may not have be thrilled to put one of my homicide data charts to good use lol

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 76
I am so far behind. Anyone want to just tell me if ANYTHING hopeful happened today?

It did.

Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

With the private search by Andrew Moorman concluding on September 29, 2020, the Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Investigative Task Force, consisting of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), 11th Judicial District Attorney’s Office and the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office provides a recap of the search for Suzanne over the last several days, and since she went missing on May 10, 2020.

As reported previously, the law enforcement team responded to collect several pieces of possible evidence found by the searchers across the county, and will continue to follow-up to determine if there is any connection to Suzanne’s disappearance.

Also this week, members of the law enforcement task force responded to the report of human remains trained dogs “alerting” on three separate properties in Chaffee County. To clarify, none of these properties are owned by members of the Morphew family. One of the locations investigated by the task force was along the Arkansas River in the county. The dog handler used on that private property was interviewed by our team and explained that the dogs did not “alert” to anything on the property but did show interest. Our law enforcement team obtained consent from the property owner, and after further investigation, including working with the private human remains dogs on the property, it was determined this was not a viable lead in this case.

A second property near the Morphew home was also investigated after the same dog team alerted to an area on that private property. Our investigation team, immediately upon being notified, secured the scene and provided around the clock security until investigators from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office, FBI and CBI arrived. This location of interest on the private property, with the consent of the property owner, was investigated extensively by members of the task force, and found to have no evidentiary significance to the case.

A third location was also identified in unincorporated Chaffee County near Salida on private property where a different pair of human remains dogs alerted. Also, once alerted, our team responded immediately and secured the property providing security around the clock. This morning our team, along with the FBI and CBI, and with consent of the property owner, excavated this location and once again, nothing of evidentiary value to the Suzanne Morphew case was located.

The Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Investigative Task Force remains dedicated to determining what happened to Suzanne. “The level of commitment from the entire team from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, CBI and FBI investigators is unprecedented and unparalleled,” said Sheriff John Spezze. “While the public may not see all of the effort being put forth in this case, I can assure the community that this investigation continues to move forward.”

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office is dedicated to assigning financial and staffing resources to this case, as leads continue to be extensively followed up on by investigators. “The investigative task force remains resolved in their commitment to finding Suzanne, and our hearts go out to her family and friends,” said Sheriff Spezze.

Anyone with information that could assist law enforcement in locating Suzanne Morphew is encouraged to call 719-312-7530.

Suzanne Morphew missing person Investigative Task Force Recap since May 10:

• 1,123 Total tips called to the designated tip line (includes hang-ups and duplicates).
  • 180 Interviews conducted in Colorado, Indiana and other locations. This number does not take into account the hundreds of other contacts made between investigators and individuals as part of this case since May.
  • 130+ Searches conducted (including warrants, which remained sealed at this time)
  • 4,000+ Hours spent by Task Force investigators on the case.

Now, I can't speak for anybody else, but personally, I take a lot of encouragement from this statement by LE.

I really never questioned their dedication to pursuing justice Suzanne, but seeing the actual numbers r/t the searches and man-hours that have been poured into this investigation, I'm feeling extremely optimistic that LE is going to see this case through to an arrest, no matter how long it takes.

The other hopeful news is that hundreds of people who never even met Suzanne came from all around the country to invest a great deal of time and emotional energy into the search for SM.

Is it disappointing that SM wasn't located?
Yes. It is.

Does the fact that she wasn't found mean the search was a failure?
No. It doesn't.

This very much takes me back to when the landfill search for Kelsey concluded without her remains being found.
It's hard not to feel disheartened.

But, then, I remember all those hundreds of searchers out there for the past week, including WS members here on this thread, working diligently to find Suzanne.
And SM's brother, pouring every last ounce of energy and devotion he could into finding his sister.
And the LEOs who are working so tenaciously to ferret out the truth despite all of the perp's efforts to conceal his crime.
And all of the amazing people here who continue to keep Suzanne's thread alive and active.
I find that pretty inspirational.

And, too, I'm reminded of this fact:

At the end of the day, Goodness does ultimately prevail over Evil.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

JMO.

Last edited:
It did.

Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

With the private search by Andrew Moorman concluding on September 29, 2020, the Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Investigative Task Force, consisting of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), 11th Judicial District Attorney’s Office and the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office provides a recap of the search for Suzanne over the last several days, and since she went missing on May 10, 2020.

As reported previously, the law enforcement team responded to collect several pieces of possible evidence found by the searchers across the county, and will continue to follow-up to determine if there is any connection to Suzanne’s disappearance.

Also this week, members of the law enforcement task force responded to the report of human remains trained dogs “alerting” on three separate properties in Chaffee County. To clarify, none of these properties are owned by members of the Morphew family. One of the locations investigated by the task force was along the Arkansas River in the county. The dog handler used on that private property was interviewed by our team and explained that the dogs did not “alert” to anything on the property but did show interest. Our law enforcement team obtained consent from the property owner, and after further investigation, including working with the private human remains dogs on the property, it was determined this was not a viable lead in this case.

A second property near the Morphew home was also investigated after the same dog team alerted to an area on that private property. Our investigation team, immediately upon being notified, secured the scene and provided around the clock security until investigators from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office, FBI and CBI arrived. This location of interest on the private property, with the consent of the property owner, was investigated extensively by members of the task force, and found to have no evidentiary significance to the case.

A third location was also identified in unincorporated Chaffee County near Salida on private property where a different pair of human remains dogs alerted. Also, once alerted, our team responded immediately and secured the property providing security around the clock. This morning our team, along with the FBI and CBI, and with consent of the property owner, excavated this location and once again, nothing of evidentiary value to the Suzanne Morphew case was located.

The Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Investigative Task Force remains dedicated to determining what happened to Suzanne. “The level of commitment from the entire team from the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, CBI and FBI investigators is unprecedented and unparalleled,” said Sheriff John Spezze. “While the public may not see all of the effort being put forth in this case, I can assure the community that this investigation continues to move forward.”

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office is dedicated to assigning financial and staffing resources to this case, as leads continue to be extensively followed up on by investigators. “The investigative task force remains resolved in their commitment to finding Suzanne, and our hearts go out to her family and friends,” said Sheriff Spezze.

Anyone with information that could assist law enforcement in locating Suzanne Morphew is encouraged to call 719-312-7530.

Suzanne Morphew missing person Investigative Task Force Recap since May 10:

• 1,123 Total tips called to the designated tip line (includes hang-ups and duplicates).
  • 180 Interviews conducted in Colorado, Indiana and other locations. This number does not take into account the hundreds of other contacts made between investigators and individuals as part of this case since May.
  • 130+ Searches conducted (including warrants, which remained sealed at this time)
  • 4,000+ Hours spent by Task Force investigators on the case.

Now, I can't speak for anybody else, but personally, I take a lot of encouragement from this statement by LE.

I really never questioned their dedication to pursuing justice Suzanne, but seeing the actual numbers r/t the searches and man-hours that have been poured into this investigation, I'm feeling extremely optimistic that LE is going to see this case through to an arrest, no matter how long it takes.

The other hopeful news is that hundreds of people who never even met Suzanne came from all around the country to invest a great deal of time and emotional energy into the search for SM.

Is it disappointing that SM wasn't located?
Yes. It is.

Does the fact that she wasn't found mean the search was a failure?
No. It doesn't.

This very much takes me back to when the landfill search for Kelsey concluded without her remains being found.
It's hard not to feel disheartened.

But, then, I remember all those hundreds of searchers out there for the past week, including WS members here on this thread, working diligently to find Suzanne.
And SM's brother, pouring every last ounce of energy and devotion he could into finding his sister.
And the LEOs who are working so tenaciously to ferret out the truth despite all of the perp's efforts to conceal his crime.
And all of the amazing people here who continue to keep Suzanne's thread alive and active.
I find that pretty inspirational.

It all serves to remind me of this fact:

At the end of the day, Goodness does ultimately prevail over Evil.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it."

JMO.
Holy cow @GordianKnot beautifully written post - I was taking a break but saw this and now I feel better - thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilhuda