Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I also found odd was that I think the last time SM was likely in Church this year would have been prior to biking weather and/or trail conditions suitable for riding. SM would not have been present in Church since at least March when Church services were required to move to video streaming for social distancing per COVID-19 mandate.

I believe the bike trail prior to March would probably still have snow and just beginning winter break-up as I think is evidenced at the property where the walkway and stream crossing are being repaired and/or rebuilt.

Fire Chief's comment to the effect of SM being too nice and/or talks to everybody sounded close to victim-blaming. Do you think SM going biking prior to Church services would have been something the husband would have offered and not SM?

MOO

ETA: According to their website, their Church is still not holding services.

Welcome to Grace Church
Grace Church services are being held online at 9:00am. There will not be any on-site services until further notice. View the livestream on our YouTube

While I agree the pre-'Rona lockdown weather would not have been conducive to trail riding, maybe she just always did that, in decent weather?
I guess maybe if someone asked BM "does she have a routine, what does she normally do on Sunday?" he might have said she likes to go for a ride before church.
I mean, if she really did normally do that, and someone knew it, well, my my, what a coincidentally brilliant opportunity to have her suddenly disappear on a perfectly normal outing for her.

I don't think the fire chief saying she's too friendly was victim-blaming at all. I think that phrase is tossed around far too liberally, and folks don't really mean that at all when they make comments like that. Of course being too friendly is never the victim's fault if it's what got them into a dire situation, it's that some piece of human trash used that, to hurt them. I think that's more along the lines of what folks mean when they point out something about the victim that might have had some hand in the situation that they're in. (I hope that makes sense).

His comment about church: "Bertram went on to say that Suzanne and Barry were both well-respected members of the community, and active in their church. He said Suzanne was known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings before church, and said he did not believe she attended church on May 10, though he could not be certain."

Leads me to believe that he does not attend the same church since clearly, they're still having online streaming, and he didn't seem to know that.

And just going to leave this here, but whenever I read "well-respected members of the community, and active in their church" in any case,
I immediately think "Dennis Rader".

jmo

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thats a really good point too. Just because we dont think it is known by others doesnt mean it isnt known. :)

We used to have one neighbor years ago in a different place and she was a classic example of a Nosy Nellie. We learned to love that nice older lady and if we ever needed to know the latest news in the area, we would just talk with her. :)

Dating myself here, but hubby used to quite often stand up and walk over to the front window and look up the street, then turn and look the other way.
I started calling him Gladys Kravitz, and the kids just laughed and laughed every time he'd go stand at the window.
He was totally Gladys, and knew everyone's routine on our street.
I think every street has one, which is why she was so popular on the tv show, everyone recognized her. ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if Suzanne typically biked alone or with other friends who were into biking. She might have enjoyed her solo rides, or fitness hobbies often tend to attract other friends into the same activity. That can be part of the fun of the hobby. Did she ever go out for rides with friends? Those might be friends who would know some of her habits or just possibly what was going on in her life. But I don't personally believe she ever went for a bike ride on Mother's Day.

I think the leakiest leak was BM's nephew Trevor Noel. He seems to have gone quiet though. At least publicly.
On Nancy Grace's podcast, Lauren Scharf said that the nephew also stopped responding to their emails. (That's why they started looking for other family members to interview for the news, like BM's uncle who hadn't seen the couple since moving to Colorado.)

This case is so sad to me because I want to hold onto an alternative where she could still be alive and it is tough to consider them as realistic options.

The only three options I have thought about where she could still be alive is either Abduction for Ransom, or got lost, or running away for good to start a new life somewhere else.

The whole bike thing makes me lean away from abduction for ransom or getting lost. So I am left hoping she ran away with someone to start a new life which is sad in itself.

Any other options that are realistic where she could still be alive?

While I agree the pre-'Rona lockdown weather would not have been conducive to trail riding, maybe she just always did that, in decent weather?
I guess maybe if someone asked BM "does she have a routine, what does she normally do on Sunday?" he might have said she likes to go for a ride before church.
I mean, if she really did normally do that, and someone knew it, well, my my, what a coincidentally brilliant opportunity to have her suddenly disappear on a perfectly normal outing for her.

I don't think the fire chief saying she's too friendly was victim-blaming at all. I think that phrase is tossed around far too liberally, and folks don't really mean that at all when they make comments like that. Of course being too friendly is never the victim's fault if it's what got them into a dire situation, it's that some piece of human trash used that, to hurt them. I think that's more along the lines of what folks mean when they point out something about the victim that might have had some hand in the situation that they're in. (I hope that makes sense).

His comment about church: "Bertram went on to say that Suzanne and Barry were both well-respected members of the community, and active in their church. He said Suzanne was known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings before church, and said he did not believe she attended church on May 10, though he could not be certain."

Leads me to believe that he does not attend the same church since clearly, they're still having online streaming, and he didn't seem to know that.

And just going to leave this here, but whenever I read "well-respected members of the community, and active in their church" in any case,
I immediately think "Dennis Rader".

jmo

I should have included the Fire Chief's actual quote instead of just paraphrasing it so I edited my post already. I think the word that rubbed me wrong was
"downfall." I guess I would never consider friendly to be a downfall.

“Her biggest downfall is the fact that she’s so friendly,” Bertram said of Suzanne. “She’s one of those people that wouldn’t hesitate to talk to anyone, to help anyone.”

Just curious, but... am I the only one that finds it slightly creepy that SM is "known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings before church" as the fire chief RB was quoted as saying in the CrimeOnline article?

I mean... for you married folks, do co-workers of your spouse know your fitness/recreation/hobby routines?

It just seems odd to me.
Unless they were all really close friends or something, that's not information a co-worker of her spouse should really know.

Maybe it's just me.
Maybe the husband had mentioned it to him at some point and he was repeating or paraphrasing what was said.

The husband says to fire chief: “She always goes for a bike ride before church on Sunday mornings, everyone around us knows that. And she is always so friendly to everyone. That’s her biggest downfall. She wouldn’t hesitate to help anyone, anytime.”

Any other options that are realistic where she could still be alive?

I don't believe there are any realistic scenarios for an alive SM or a situation where she ran away from her life--IMO she wouldn't have done that to her daughters. Sadly I think she's deceased and has been from the beginning. This is exactly how the vast majority of cases go when there's a missing and married adult woman with children.

Good morning WS-Ers! I’ve been away from the threads for more than 24 hours and I’m going back to catch up, but wonder if anyone could give me the Cliff notes on anything new?
TIA!

Here’s the Zillow listing for the home. The photos do show a stone walkway at the home but there aren’t any good photos of the patio/backyard area to compare.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/19057-Puma-Path-Salida-CO-81201/96847591_zpid/?mmlb=g,15

JMO.

What a stunning home!

When I find this happening in a case i'm following on WS - I check out the media thread.
CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Thank you! I will definitely look at that more often.

I just to express my moopinion, I really think this is about controlling the situation ...such as planting the bike and doing the self video. Watching the video of BM, makes me to believe he's trying to set the scene to look like an abduction. In that video nothing else was talked about such as ...like is she hurt ran away and so on... He seemed so sure that this was an abduction and not talking about other possibilities.

Just my moopinion

What you expressed is also what I have found confusing from the get-go. I have never followed a case at WS where a $100,000 reward was posted on day 2 of a missing person's case. At that point the media really had not even really taken off yet. Odd, but I assumed the family had reason to believe she was abducted and LE was not going to release any details to substantiate it.

Wild speculation here. I could understand if someone went out of town for, say, an extramarital tryst, they might tell their friends the trip is for work, and tell their work friends it is for pleasure (same thing could be applied if you had two jobs). Unless something terrible happened, those friends might never know you gave two different stories. That said, if I was planning to break the law while on said trip, I might be more careful about my stories matching up. This example is another reason for me to believe in, and hope for, the likelihood that this is not familial.

I'm not saying this happened!!! I'm just thinking out loud for an example of when one might tell two tales about the reason to go out of town.

We don't even know the source of any of the "in Denver for..." statements. BUT, IMO, it would be pretty stupid to tell different stories about your purpose if you plan to commit a crime and your whereabouts would be questioned. (But Colorado isn't known for having smart criminals, is it? :D )

All that to say, I don't believe there were two stories told - I just think the people who have made statements about why BM was in Denver made assumptions about what "in Denver for work" meant.

JMO, wild speculation. On the fence, leaning with my heart.

Here’s the Zillow listing for the home. The photos do show a stone walkway at the home but there aren’t any good photos of the patio/backyard area to compare.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/19057-Puma-Path-Salida-CO-81201/96847591_zpid/?mmlb=g,15

JMO.
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen an antler chandelier before. That's a very large house for LE to search. I hope they find evidence that will help find Suzanne.

Didn't one source say they found an item about 2000 feet from the home? I wonder if that's true. I think it was Nancy Grace.

I should have included the Fire Chief's actual quote instead of just paraphrasing it so I edited my post already. I think the word that rubbed me wrong was
"downfall." I guess I would never consider friendly to be a downfall.

“Her biggest downfall is the fact that she’s so friendly,” Bertram said of Suzanne. “She’s one of those people that wouldn’t hesitate to talk to anyone, to help anyone.”
I think he is just suggesting that because she is friendly and trusting, she is vulnerable.

Maybe the family believes the perpetrator is someone she recently met and tried to help.

Maybe the husband had mentioned it to him at some point and he was repeating or paraphrasing what was said.

The husband says to fire chief: “She always goes for a bike ride before church on Sunday mornings, everyone around us knows that. And she is always so friendly to everyone. That’s her biggest downfall. She wouldn’t hesitate to help anyone, anytime.”

That or she documented her life on social media, her children mentioned it, she talked about it at church, to co-workers, etc.

Now if the husband started dropping it in out place conversations, that’s weird.

Example: How’s it going? Good, got a early start this morning, my wife is out on her Sunday morning bike ride.

What are you up to tomorrow? Got some projects to start around the house but my wife will be heading out for a bike ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleuthy1101