Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #51

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Detailed timeline of events in the Morphew case:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)

Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Verified Experts/Professionals/Insiders posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)
NatureLover (Verified friend of the Moorman family)

Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50

Please continue discussion here in accordance with The Rules:

Quick rundown of reminders from prior threads:

Rumors are not allowed.

A thread specific decision has been made by Tricia to allow members to discuss Barry Morphew and to speculate about him based on how he is being publicly treated by LE, information from MSM and other WS approved sources (except rumors). Do NOT sleuth him or his business and do NOT trash him.

Do not sleuth or make accusations against anyone else who is not an officially named POI/suspect.

Preview your posts to avoid broken quotes.

Lengthy personal anecdotes are off topic. Stay on topic.

Discuss the case and not each other; state your opinion and move one without arguing or bickering.

Random youtube videos or blogs are not allowed unless approval is given by Tricia or Admin.

Approved sources are MSM, LE, Profiling Evil podcast, Lauren Scharf podcast or social media, Investigation Discovery, Crimeonline, Tyson Draper (only the interview with Barry Morphew).

Do not discuss removed posts or question/challenge moderation on the thread. Doing so is subject to an automatic Time Out.

I agree with the critics of Reid, and I wish more police departments would implement reforms. But you have not cited any research contradicting the finding of professor Hirsch, that Reid is "The leading interrogation manual..." or providing evidence of a massive shift away from Reid training.

Nor have you rebutted the studies I have cited, to the effect that the technique has produced confessions, partial confessions, and admissions at a reasonably high rate.

If you look into the archives, you will find that BM stated he was interviewed by investigators, and CCSO issued a statement affirming that he cooperated in the investigation.

I have been speaking about this for reasons expressed in previous posts. If you truly don't understand why we're talking about this, please read them. I'd welcome your additional thoughts!
Yes, that statement affirming his cooperation was a doozy, something to the effect of “he has cooperated and we hope he continues to do so.”

I have no doubt that was intentional, and it was at that point this case took more of a firm direction for me.

Of course “cooperation,” doesn’t mean telling the truth. Patrick Frazee “cooperated,” which meant he talked initially and turned over his phone (he took his LE brother’s advice and never sat down for a formal interview). He of course lied through his teeth, which opened the door to search warrants.

But that comment from the Sheriff also reminded me of the turning point in the Frazee case as well, as the chief also threw shade. It was at that point we knew it wasn’t merely a “missing persons investigation.”

I do not know how to reply to a post from a previous thread. @Dalgliesh the article at the link below was helpful to me when I was researching behavioral analysis/evidence and how it applies to criminal investigations.

This article references behavioral analysis in murder investigations, which IMO LE is conducting a murder investigation r/t SM case.

The article is very thorough and informative, and I found the following excerpt very interesting:
“Without consideration of the actions and behaviors that the killer engaged in during and after the commission of a murder, an investigation will be incomplete at best”. and this:
“Generally, the more post-offense behaviors a perpetrator engages in, the more clues he leaves about himself”.

IMHO

The Importance of Behavioral Analysis in Murder Investigations - In Public Safety

Last edited:
I do not know how to reply to a post from a previous thread. @Dalgliesh the article at the link below was helpful to me when I was researching behavioral analysis/evidence and how it applies to criminal investigations.

This article references behavioral analysis in murder investigations, which IMO LE is conducting a murder investigation r/t SM case.

The article is very thorough and informative, and I found the following excerpt very interesting, “Without consideration of the actions and behaviors that the killer engaged in during and after the commission of a murder, an investigation will be incomplete at best”. and this:
“Generally, the more post-offense behaviors a perpetrator engages in, the more clues he leaves about himself”.

IMHO

The Importance of Behavioral Analysis in Murder Investigations - In Public Safety

Thank you for this! The author is clearly a well trained and experienced profiler working for a respected institution. Her observations in the article are astute and practical, and I hope CCSO has access to someone with her skills.

My slightly off topic comment to the effect that the scientific jury is still out on the efficacy of profiling was a clumsy segue to the question how a behavioral scientist might help beyond guiding the investigation, by offering expert testimony as to how and why, for example, an abused woman might suppress information about her situation, even from her children and friends.

The article is very thorough and informative, and I found the following excerpt very interesting:
“Without consideration of the actions and behaviors that the killer engaged in during and after the commission of a murder, an investigation will be incomplete at best”. and this:

IMHO

That's a brilliant link, thank you so much.. my mind is applying it to several cases here right now.
Alexis Sharkey and Baby Nylo where mum's body ws placed in a plastic garbage bag after being stabbed several times, transported to the Purple bridge and left draped over the railings.

IMHO

Good info @ fcavanaugh, thank you. Also demonstrates the importance of FBI joining the investigative team early.

It appears that the turning point in this investigation came the night of May 10th.
LE have never said what time BM arrived home but that is to be expected as it's part of the investigation.

The timing feels 'off' and whatever exchanged BM had with LE it appears that it was short, cut off too soon, or disregarded entirely.
As in -- LE asking where he was, and why the neighbor had to be the one to call 911, etc.

And it's possible BM did not answer a single question but wanted to know what LE were doing about it and why were they at BM's house at all when Suzanne obviously vanished on a bike ride several miles from home ?

We aren't privy to the conversation -- but one can speculate.
BM: "Why are you cops here ? You need to look on Hwy __ and along the creek and wherever else I tell you to search ? Your presence here is not helping find her."
Etc.

Last edited:
It appears that the turning point in this investigation came the night of May 10th.
LE have never said what time BM arrived home but that is to be expected as it's part of the investigation.

The timing feels 'off' and whatever exchanged BM had with LE it appears that it was short, cut off too soon, or disregarded entirely.
As in -- LE asking where he was, and why the neighbor had to be the one to call 911, etc.

And it's possible BM did not answer a single question but wanted to know what LE were doing about it and why were they at BM's house at all when Suzanne obviously vanished on a bike ride several miles from home ?

BM: "Why are you cops here ? You need to look on Hwy __ and along the creek and wherever else I tell you to search ? Your presence here is not helping find her."
Etc.
That was my impression too, that they were met by an angry defensive man and they needed to find a missing woman very quickly and they knew absolutely nothing about her, not quite the time to launch straight into a Reid, was it? Priority is to find the woman from a LE perspective I would imagine.
I'd be going for coaxing rather than coercion at a time like that and for several days afterwards while a hope existed that she might be alive.
IMO.

What, if one day SM is found and nothing can be determined anymore after more than 7 months (or more): neither time of death nor manner of death. They will call it a suicide, if BM is supporting this assumption, I'm fearing, and I think, he will do it.

If LE would request repayment of the immense costs for their searching, he might say, HE didn't call for a search, but his anxious neighbor had nothing better to do than call LE for a missing woman on a bike ride, which didn't end in time. After that the ball was rolling and he, BM, couldn't do any more than saying: nobody knows the truth.

What do you think: will the case "solved" by that possibly?

Etc.

If he was more interested in HOW LE was handling their search than in WHO LE was searching for, that's a problem.

IMO something was obvious, and off, from the start.

JMO

What, if one day SM is found and nothing can be determined anymore after more than 7 months (or more): neither time of death nor manner of death. They will call it a suicide, if BM is supporting this assumption, I'm fearing, and I think, he will do it.

If LE would request repayment of the immense costs for their searching, he might say, HE didn't call for a search, but his anxious neighbor had nothing better to do than call LE for a missing woman on a bike ride, which didn't end in time. After that the ball was rolling and he, BM, couldn't do any more than saying: nobody knows the truth.

What do you think: will the case "solved" by that possibly?

IMO if Barry thought he could have pushed the possible suicide narrative, he would have done so by now.

If BM speculated that SM may have been taken by someone known to her, how is that victim blaming or throwing her under the bus?

Forget about the majority of the feelings about BM here for a moment.

Example: if someone was abducted by a co-worker, this person is known to them or abducted by the neighbor down the street that the person talks to while walking the dog, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288