Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you, my family, tiny as it is and not big talkers, would not be silent. And if it were my loved one I would not be silent. I would be out there every day looking, researching and on the dang tv all day long. LE would hear from me every single day..every day.

Just weird.
Your family sounds like they're wonderful people !
And yes, totally agree.
Why the silence ?
Makes no sense.

When do they usually release a 911 call? Is it after an arrest? I would love to hear it and I’m sure it would answer the question being asked - did neighbor say she saw her on a bike ride?
I've never seen a 911 call released to the public in Colorado, in any case, unless it was referenced in an affidavit or something along those lines. I would welcome contradictory posting if I'm wrong. JMO

I believe it was the fire chief (please correct me if I'm wrong) who said Suzanne would always bike on Sunday mornings. If that is true, then I think that may be where the idea came from that she never came back from her ride. I don't find it hard to believe that she had a standing bike ride at the same time each week. I'm sure her daughters would know that.

If they couldn't get a hold of SM on Mother's Day, they may have said to the neighbor, "She always goes for a bike ride on Sunday mornings. Can you see if her bike is at the house?" Or possibly Suzanne even told them she'd give them a call after her ride that day and never did, something to that effect. Although it was never stated, I wouldn't be surprised if the neighbor had a spare key to the house and could check if the bike was not in the garage or wherever it was stored. We gave our trusted neighbors a spare key. What if something happened while we are out of town on vacation and it was an emergency that someone get into the house? Perhaps this neighbor was friendly with SM and they gave her a key in case of an emergency. I could also see exchanging phone numbers for the same reason, especially if neighbors are few and far between. This is all JMO.
It's also possible that the house had a key pad lock. If that's the case, one of the daughters could have easily given the neighbor a code to enter the house/check for a bike. I would think many million dollar homes have electronic security systems/key code access.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> I think the husband was keeping Suzanne on the move so as to hide god knows what.

An immediate offer of money with "...no questions asked...", and a carefully scripted infomercial to make it sound like she abandoned her own children...

I posted this in the last thread but that business of "release her to us and that's it, no questions asked..." -- doesn't sit well with me, and probably very few others.
Another man said this and it sounded as creepy then as it does now.

Of course there'll be questions !
Doesn't the husband worry that with no questions asked, another lady could be abducted ?
Imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
JMO I think this was a heat of passion crime for whatever reason. I think she wanted out of the marriage he wasn’t going to have it. <modsnip: Direct accusations against someone who is not officially named a POI/suspect by LE are not allowed>MOO

Hi! I grew up in Chaffee County and it’s a rural county. We have our neighbors’ phone numbers and have had them for years. As an aside, I’ve lived around the country for most of my adult life and still have the phone number of my last neighbor in the last state I lived in, which I gave to relatives and made sure he had the numbers of my relatives, too. He’s a buddy, now, even though I’ve moved.

But out in rural areas, especially, you need to know who your neighbors are and how to contact them for emergencies and to check on things. We’ve done that a few times — called a neighbor while away to check on something — and we’ve done it for neighbors who called us to check on something.

But you have a good point—why wouldn’t BM contact a firefighter colleague rather than a neighbor to do a welfare check? After all, that colleague would know what to do in a variety of situations. I’ve been wondering this for a while.

We're in a rural neighborhood, so I get what you're saying. Makes perfect sense.

But we don't know who called the neighbor. Could have been one of her daughters, that makes the most sense to me. One or the other wanted to wish her a Happy Mother's Day.

If someone wanted to set up a scenario where someone else reported their spouse missing, while they were out of town working, well ....

I feel the opposite. They may have reasoned that the neighbor could get there more quickly, and perhaps put their minds at ease, without their having to alarm their dad. It’s would I would have done in their situation - try to resolve things without freaking out another relative.

Another possibility is that Dad was out of reach for some reason. We don’t know where he was or if he told everyone he would not be reachable (if he didn’t wish to be disturbed).

That’s probably what I would’ve done as an adult, but definitely not what my young adult kids would’ve done. They’d call my husband—their dad. One, because it’s Mother’s Day and likely he has already tried to reach her. Maybe he knows where she is. Two, because the neighbor is 70 years old and probably the girls wouldn’t want to bother her unless they were really freaked out. And if they were really freaked out, they’d call dad . (IMO)

I wonder if they have a landline up there due to spotty cell coverage? If the neighbor had a listed phone number someone could have just looked it up. I havent had a land line in years so I only just thought about that.
I was also thinking about their TV. I don't know if they even own one, but if they have a smart tv or Netflix etc a record of viewing times would exist, wouldn't it? You can't tell who is viewing but most people would view from their own profile.
I'm thinking about what she was doing on the day before Mother's day and if she was in the house. Maybe they don't watch tv or stream or even have a tv. Just musing. Moo.

I don't think it necessarily says everything. We have no idea what the actual tip was or who provided it. Did BM go to check on the jobsite and someone thought they saw something untoward? Was it a red herring from someone who had a grudge against BM? We don't know the specifics, but LE has to follow up on every tip, so this one may have made sense to them for a variety of reasons and there may have been other evidence or tips that would tend to support.

Agreed and BM was not the only person who worked on that job site. We have no idea what possible relationships existed with the M's (separately or as a couple) and other workers there. BM seems to have a friendship with one of the other workers but we don't know if SM knew him or not.

Hi! I grew up in Chaffee County and it’s a rural county. We have our neighbors’ phone numbers and have had them for years. As an aside, I’ve lived around the country for most of my adult life and still have the phone number of my last neighbor in the last state I lived in, which I gave to relatives and made sure he had the numbers of my relatives, too. He’s a buddy, now, even though I’ve moved.

But out in rural areas, especially, you need to know who your neighbors are and how to contact them for emergencies and to check on things. We’ve done that a few times — called a neighbor while away to check on something — and we’ve done it for neighbors who called us to check on something.

But you have a good point—why wouldn’t BM contact a firefighter colleague rather than a neighbor to do a welfare check? After all, that colleague would know what to do in a variety of situations. I’ve been wondering this for a while.

Maybe his fellow firefighters live further away, or they had given that neighbor a spare key or garage code in case of emergency. Maybe Suzanne wasn't as familiar with the firefighters as she was the neighbor, and he thought she'd be more comfortable seeing a familiar female neighbor at the door vs. a male stranger?

I truly can't make sense of this. I can't get over the lack of validated info that has been shared, leaked, or discovered. Very little from family, and what we have heard appears to be from individuals who aren't all that close to either SM or BM. I listened to a podcast yesterday that interviewed a "friend" of BM and SM that clearly was barely an acquaintance and had plenty to speculate on, but zero new information. I wonder if COVID and the remote location has hampered true investigative journalism? People love to talk....yet with this there is almost nothing.....

My kids would never call the neighbor, they would call their other parent. Maybe Dad told them to call the neighbor? I would have thought Dad would then call the neighbor. Unless they couldn’t get in touch with Dad, or something was “up” that caused them to choose the neighbor over Dad if Mom was missing.

The source said they believed Suzanne’s daughters asked the neighbor to check and see if their mother’s bike was at the home.
I know this is just someone saying they “believe” so they aren’t positive but if true, why would SM’s daughters care if their mom’s bike was at the house or not? I guess I interpreted it to mean they called the neighbor and only asked her if she would go check on the bike. Maybe they could have asked because they couldn’t get in touch but you’d think they’d ask if her car was there before you’d ask about a bike. Something about this bike is off. It’s been the central point of this whole case. Why? Or am I overthinking things? Without solid facts it’s hard to make sense out of a few people’s quotes.

I truly can't make sense of this. I can't get over the lack of validated info that has been shared, leaked, or discovered. Very little from family, and what we have heard appears to be from individuals who aren't all that close to either SM or BM. I listened to a podcast yesterday that interviewed a "friend" of BM and SM that clearly was barely an acquaintance and had plenty to speculate on, but zero new information. I wonder if COVID and the remote location has hampered true investigative journalism? People love to talk....yet with this there is almost nothing.....
bbm
Ita.
Maybe they're afraid ?

If Suzanne is no longer with us and it looks like LE are treating this case as such --with what information they have that we're not privy to -- people might know something but are afraid to speak up lest they become the next victims<modsnip>?
Imo.

If LE is not going to search the area surrounding the Morphews home again, shouldn't local volunteers or Texas EquuSearch do so?

If we only knew what LE knows, we'd have a better idea if this was a good idea or not. On the surface, considering how many bodies are missed during initial searches and later found where people previously searched and sometimes more than once, it seems like a good idea. I'm hoping LE knows something that makes it certain SM won't be found there. Hoping, because if LE doesn't have such information, it seems like a missed opportunity.

It’s so convenient for LE that perps are rarely able to “cover all the basis.” I think the adrenaline takes over and muddles up the brain matter. So beneficial to LE, not so much the perp :rolleyes:
bbm
Exactly.
And it's possible that Suzanne kept notes or an online 'diary' of sorts; and that LE have read it.
What may emerge from this investigation might horrify us !
Imo

It does sound like the neighbor relayed information from the daughter that Suzanne disappeared during a bike ride.

No one could reach her on May 10 and no one saw her cycling. Why would anyone assume that she disappeared cycling without checking the house? Maybe she fell down the stairs. Maybe she went for a walk. Is it known that she didn't leave the house on foot? How was that known?

It was convenient that her bicycle and another personal item were found near the house, but that doesn't explain why it was known in advance that she disappeared while cycling.

Just as soon as the sheriff got involved the curtain came down. He didn't call in community help, in a place where he could draft hundreds for weeks of searching.
MOO he never thought she was simply injured or lost.

Stanger abduction, murder
Domestic abduction/murder

They searched the roads trails and bodies of water -
Pulled in the CBI and FBI.
MOO assume they searched the dumpsters and trash cans on 50 and alerted the nearby landfills to segregate trash coming in from the 8th for a dog search.
Acquired BMs car and phone and cordoned off the home.
Working hard, they just need some luck.

Last edited:
I am very frustrated that the sheriff said the investigation was going to start at the center and work diligently outward to gather the facts, and by all appearances the investigation seems to be bogged down in the center after two full weeks. JMO
“By all appearances,” that’s exactly where they need to remain. I don’t find that frustrating at all. Persistent perhaps and that’s likely because they know SO much more than we do. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74