Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bewildered is my feeling as well. For someone who has been reported in MSM as being “in charge of what happens for a long time”, it’s odd that during one of the biggest and scariest moments of all, he was glaringly absent from all the reports we have read regarding who was attempting to contact/locate SM, or contacting authorities.

JMO IMO MOO

Attaching article for quote referenced
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]
Right. And for all we know he wasn't in the loop *at all* during the time this initially unfolded. It's been reported in MSM that he was in Denver, though I realize people have questioned the veracity of this (ie, suspecting he may have been lying to cover his tracks for being somewhere else at the time). We don't know the family dynamics, as it's been stated on this thread many times. Maybe the daughters didn't reach out to him with their concerns for reasons of their own that we have yet to learn and instead decided to call the neighbor first. Maybe the daughters' suspicions were immediate. And maybe once police got the call, *LE* took control and steered things a certain way. Who know when exactly BM was told anything about SM's disappearance?? SM's family says they're in the dark ... and so are we!

BBM:

I don't think the identity of the person who found SM's bike on Sunday has been made public.

I haven't seen anything in MSM re: the neighbor being the one to find the bike.

What has been reported in MSM is that SM's daughters called the neighbor and asked her to check on SM.

JMO.
In the beginning I wondered if it was the neighbor who actually found the bike. Since we hadn't heard about the bike being near the bridge I thought maybe it was found on the Morphew's property.

There have been so many rumors about where it was found, I'm still not sure what to believe until we hear it from LE.

:(

Actually, we don't know what evidence LE has in their possession, whether it is physical (the second personal item found) or digital.

As far as following their actions and not their words --which have been sparse -- they acted from the beginning with fervor.
They're not leaning towards an abduction; imo.
Nor an animal attack.
Which leaves us where ?
A possible money dispute ?
A relationship disaster ?
Whatever LE have as far as evidence... I think it could be a huge amount, and might surprise us.

MOO

Possibilites are:
  • voluntarily missing
  • accident
  • kidnapping
  • murder
The first three options seem to be ruled out. She isn't missing by choice. There was no accident followed by a wild animal experience. I think we know that she wasn't kidnapped. That leaves one option.

BBM:

According to CrimeOnline, the answer to that question is a resounding, "NO."

The neighbor did NOT see Suzanne go for a bike ride.

In fact, nobody did:

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance

According to sources who spoke to the Daily Mail, Morphew’s daughters contacted a neighbor when they were unable to reach her. <snip>

A woman identified as the stepmother of Morphew’s daughter’s best friend said that the homes in the remote central Colorado town are far apart. It remains unclear how long Morphew had been out of contact before the neighbor alerted Chaffee County authorities on May 10. The sheriff’s department launched an immediate search for Morphew on that day.

“The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ‘we never heard from Mom – can you go check on her?'” the friend’s stepmother said.

“Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle, sadly.”

MSM needs to stop reporting it as if SM disappearing during a bike ride is an established fact.

That bike ride story is a total bunch of hooey.

JMO.
I wish we could pin this post to the front page of any new threads!

Last edited:
BBM. I don't know what notions the Sheriff has entertained. LE belief that foul play is involved is because they can't rule it out. That alone isn't proof of the perp. All LE can do in these cases is follow the evidence.

JMO

That's true. I have no idea what the sheriff is thinking or doing or what he knows.... that much is for sure. I should have added imo. I often forget to do that :oops: .
ETA: BBM... but I wasn't trying to identify or implicate a certain "perp." I'm well aware that the sheriff must investigate the husband whether he suspects him or not.

Last edited:
Here's what I think. Bottom line.
BM was having an affair. SM found out. There's money involved.
just my opinion.
But I'll bet dollars to donuts on this.
Ita.
The money aspect is interesting.
Maybe a clue there ?
Theory : Who had the money in their marriage ?
BM ? SM?
Did one person come into the marriage with more $$ than the other, and a divorce would be catastrophic for the other person ?
Wondering out loud and speculating.
Imo.

Bewildered is my feeling as well. For someone who has been reported in MSM as being “in charge of what happens for a long time”, it’s odd that during one of the biggest and scariest moments of all, he was glaringly absent from all the reports we have read regarding who was attempting to contact/locate SM, or contacting authorities.

JMO IMO MOO

Attaching article for quote referenced
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]
^^^^^^^
This! Where is that person whose in charge of everything? He certainly acts like there’s no reason to search or reach out to public for help. Therein lies the reason I think he’s involved. I’ve seen too many “innocent” people in ACTION trying to find their loved one and/or trying to help find the perpetrator... BM is failing abysmally in all areas. JMO.

We don't know what we don't know, with that in mind if I was an investigator on the case, I would want to know when did the camera system become inoperable, why did it become inoperable (cut wire or ???) and was the system managed by an outside monitoring company? I would also want to see everything it did record up until the time the camera system went out. I think they likely would have done this though, but we don't seem to be getting a lot of information about what the investigators have found and what they know.
I don't think there has been anything official/confirmed about a home surveillance system not working.
I’m positive they know the underlying facts, which is why they never handled this as an abduction.

No abduction=No bike ride.

I don’t think Suzanne told her she was going on a bike ride, because I believe she was dead long before that 911 call.
I agree. I don't think there was ever a bike ride. But I think one other possibility is that the person responsible may have had Suzanne's phone and texted from it, saying that she was going out on a bike ride. Buy some time before people started getting worried about her, and also set the stage for the disappearance. Just one of my thoughts.

In the beginning I wondered if it was the neighbor who actually found the bike. Since we hadn't heard about the bike being near the bridge I thought maybe it was found on the Morphew's property.

There have been so many rumors about where it was found, I'm still not sure what to believe until we hear it from LE.

If we rely strictly on the May 11, 2020 police report, we know that the "reporting party advised" that her "neighbor" had "reportedly gone for a bike ride and failed to return home."

I don't see any ambiguity in this statement.

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

This is a link to a nine minute cell phone video of the drive from Fooses Lake Dam along CR 226 to CR 225, then along CR 225 to the stop sign at US 50, then up US 50 for about three miles. This is truly amateur video, but it's an excellent opportunity to see the search area. Both the road bridge over Fooses Creek and and the S. Arkansas bridge are shown, plus some spots where markers remained after the search:

April Isaacs, MS, RPT
38 subscribers
We drive from Fooses Dam back out to HWY 50, then to CR 226 which was the location of the search for personal items after finding something that was possibly Suzanne Morphew’s. Law Enforcement closed the Hwy on May 15th to search further. This is the area they searched, including crime scene tape area.

If I knew that my family member had been self-isolating except for a routine bike ride, and they had not come back by their usual time - yes, I would call 911.

Further, having lived in some isolated places and still keeping track of crime in the place I used to live, I'd be even more likely to do so. However, the Morphews hadn't been there that long (according to BLM's MSM information he became a volunteer fireman in August 2018, but they didn't buy the house until December - so presumably, they had only had about 17 months of local residency).

There were virtually no other humans living near their house, IMO. There's no place to "just stop by," IMO, except the neighbor whose house was called. However, it would be strange indeed for a woman who had been battling cancer and is probably still on some medication to risk breaking quarantine.

Ending up having dinner? During self-isolation? In that case, Suzanne would indeed be an extreme risk taker and if I were her spouse, I'd want to know what she was up to, that she'd risk her incredible health progress for dinner. Anyway, if we're just going to use our own notions about common sense, I'd say that yes, a spouse should be concerned if their spouse is out and about, in an unexpected manner, during CoVid self-isolation.

You can look up the residency situation of the other buildings in that little area where she biked. If she had completed her ride, it's my opinion that she would have encountered no more houses - only campsites.

I'll add one more risk factor, just in case other people don't worry about such things. Being one of the richest people in an area (as judged by locals eyeing your digs) is not the safest position on the social pyramid.

Keep in mind that it was the daughters who called the neighbor. Clearly, they expected to talk to their mother on Mother's Day (IMO). Then the neighbor for whatever reason (missing bike? finding the bike?) calls 911. The neighbor knows way more about the situation than we do.
I agree but how would anyone know her “usual” time? I know Chatty Cathy said she biked in the mornings but there’s a lot of hours in the morning. How would you know if she had left an hour, two hours or a few minutes earlier? Personally I’m not a routine person, I rarely do anything at the same time everyday ...I used to beat myself up about being so unpredictable but this website has made me appreciate my fault.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^
This! Where is that person whose in charge of everything? He certainly acts like there’s no reason to search or reach out to public for help. Therein lies the reason I think he’s involved. I’ve seen too many “innocent” people in ACTION trying to find their loved one and/or trying to help find the perpetrator... BM is failing abysmally in all areas. JMO.

Agreeeeeeeeed. If my adult child tried to call or text me on Mother’s Day and couldn’t reach me, the first thing she would do is call my husband, and say “Dad have you spoken to Mom? I can’t get her to answer.” His response would be “I haven’t, let me see what I can find out. Don’t worry, I’ll find her.” The call to the neighbor would’ve come from him, and he would have been front and center with LE trying to find out what happened, and begging for any word as to my whereabouts.

I asked how he would make a plea or offer a reward if he thought someone took me-he said “It damn sure would’ve been longer than 23 seconds, and it would’ve been with LE and a press conference-not some fb video-I would be everywhere on every station, trying to find you.” He’s normally a very private man, but when it comes to finding your loved one, things change.

Just an outside perspective and my own opinions. JMO MOO IMO

Well though... I think we all know the sheriff never entertained the thought for one moment that this was an abduction case even though abductions obviously do occur. He would have naturally, imo, have assumed accident at first before abduction imo. But, I agree with those who say something was found very early on that pointed the investigation in an entirely different direction when the sheriff felt it was not an accident at all and so, he never even had the chance to consider abduction. He skipped that and went straight to foul play.

ETA: I'd like to say it was when the bike was discovered and something about it was "wrong" for an accident as the cause... but I don't know if the bike was discovered so, that's where the frustration comes in.

BBM:

I'm convinced that something (or someone) alerted LE almost immediately that the account surrounding SM's disappearance was horribly, horribly "off."

The neighbor reporting her missing from "a bike ride" in the middle of the day raised red flags with me from the get-go, so it may very well have aroused LE's suspicions right away, as well.

LE's initial conversations with her daughters and/or husband may have given them cause for specific concern.

While LE has not confirmed that SM's bike was located, it has been reported in MSM that BM's nephew, TN, stated the bike was found later on that Sunday evening she was reported missing.

So, it's possible that where the bike was found, what condition it was found in, and/or who actually found it may also have steered LE in a certain investigative direction.

If the bike was planted in an effort to misdirect LE, it failed spectacularly.

Paradoxically, it seems to have had the opposite effect:

It appears to have pointed LE right toward the person trying to point the finger of blame elsewhere.

JMO.

Last edited:
I think it's possible the daughters had been trying to reach their mother for 8 or more hours on Sunday (e.g., 8 AM-5 PM) if not longer. I think this also explains the seemingly urgent manner the neighbor made the 911 call and reported SM missing.

From personal experience, it would be easy to dismiss mom not answering in the morning thinking church, walk, bike, etc., already knowing about spotty cell coverage at home but after not getting through ALL DAY, that would definitely warrant asking the neighbor to check the house. However, the neighbor calling 911 to report my mom missing (as understood by MSM reporting) would definitely be my last resort.

What I'd like to know is if/when the daughters contacted dad and if he was aware by his own efforts or by the daughters that SM had not been available and/or responding all day Sunday (or maybe longer).

More important to me is the incredible burden I saw placed on the neighbor. I can't even imagine that!

For example, if I was trying to reach mom under these circumstances, it would have gone one of two ways at whatever time of the 911 call to Police:

1) Dad would have long been aware I was trying to reach mom without success on Mother's Day.
2) Dad would have initiated the welfare check.
3)Dad would have contacted CCSO, advised them of his location, informed CCSO that daughters were also out of town, and dad and his family very concerned that mom has been out of reach all day, Mother's Day (or longer).
4) Dad would tell CCSO that neighbor was at the house now to give them access. 5) Dad would inform CCSO he was heading home and what time he was expected expect to arrive.
6) Dad would ask how to proceed.

OR

1) Daughter would contact CCSO and inform them of all the above except that she also had not been able to reach dad but does not believe they are together, and why not.
2) Daughter would give CCSO dad's (and mom's) phone numbers.
3) Daughter would advise CCSO that neighbor was waiting at the house to give them access.
4) Ask CCSO how to proceed, and confirm they have my contact information.

While I don't expect anybody else to respond the way I would per my example above, I think what I'm trying to say is that in my opinion, the response here to report the mother and wife missing did not fit the picture of the family I had in my head. MOO

ETA: To be clear, all the assumptions in my example are my own and not claiming how the day happened. There will be no links.

Too late to edit my post about neighbor vs family making the missing person report and want to add that I believe the Maysville neighbor had no knowledge of SM's day and was simply passing on information to the Police.

I recall we were first to believe that SM told her neighbor she was going off on her bike and to call 911 if she wasn't home by zero-dark-thirty.

Also, unless the neighbor was a close friend, I think family would be the best source to initiate a 911 call-- just to provide answers to the pertinent questions about the missing person asked by LE including birthdate, physical description, medical history, medications, last known contact, etc.

This is a link to a nine minute cell phone video of the drive from Fooses Lake Dam along CR 226 to CR 225, then along CR 225 to the stop sign at US 50, then up US 50 for about three miles. This is truly amateur video, but it's an excellent opportunity to see the search area. Both the road bridge over Fooses Creek and and the S. Arkansas bridge are shown, plus some spots where markers remained after the search:

April Isaacs, MS, RPT
38 subscribers
We drive from Fooses Dam back out to HWY 50, then to CR 226 which was the location of the search for personal items after finding something that was possibly Suzanne Morphew’s. Law Enforcement closed the Hwy on May 15th to search further. This is the area they searched, including crime scene tape area.
Wow! Thank you! What an awesome find. It does not appear secluded at all out there!

I agree but how would anyone know her “usual” time? I know Chatty Cathy said she biked in the mornings but there’s a lot of hours in the morning. How would you know if she had left an hour, two hours or a few minutes earlier? Personally I’m not a routine person, I rarely do anything at the same time everyday ...I used to best myself up about being so unpredictable but this website has made me appreciate my fault.
bbm
Therein lies the answer to one question -- Imo !
The neighbor maybe did not know the usual time, but may have known SM liked to take a bike ride; and that's all.

So --someone had to have called her (neighbor) ... and that someone was possibly called by someone else... and so on.
Like a trail of electronic breadcrumbs.
I don't envy LE and detectives in general for trying to find answers and have to weed through the red herrings.
MOO

I agree but how would anyone know her “usual” time? I know Chatty Cathy said she biked in the mornings but there’s a lot of hours in the morning. How would you know if she had left an hour, two hours or a few minutes earlier? Personally I’m not a routine person, I rarely do anything at the same time everyday ...I used to best myself up about being so unpredictable but this website has made me appreciate my fault.
It has been said in MSM that it was SM's usual habit to go for a bike ride on Sunday morning before church. I think I found every church in Pagosa Springs and Salida, and all of them who have Sunday services start at 11:00 am. If the daughters called the neighbor, and then the neighbor walked the short distance to check the house, walked back, called the girls back and then called the sheriff's office (or 911) at 5:46 pm................................she was awfully late for her routine 11:00 am church service attendance. We can't post a link to the church service prayer that fully acknowledges that the entire family are members, because other posters on WS are insisting that we have to prove the family belonged to the church BEFORE we can post the video acknowledging that the family belongs to the church. I choose to believe the preacher. He seems to have a pretty good reputation, and seems also to have connections in high places. So, it's JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288