Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it weren't for the bike found at the bridge, I would lean toward a stuck in the chimney, fell into a rolled up wrestling mat, got stuck behind the refrigerator kind of situation. (these were all actual cases) Maybe she fell into an unknown well or old mine-shaft on her property.

The condition of the bike is what I want to know. And if the bike was in normal condition, was the water below the bridge raging enough for it to be an actual or believable suicide location? Is it a case of her wandering from her bike just far enough off trail for her become injured and blend in with the rugged terrain?

If her bike was in normal condition, did someone she know pull over to say hi and grabbed her, leaving her bike behind? Maybe a townie had noticed her in town recently and she's pretty hard to miss riding her bike on the roadways of such a small community.

I do think accident, getting lost or injured or willful disappearance are still possibilities.

The church received information that there was a bike crash and a wild animal event. The Sheriff said there was no wild animal event, so we know that information did not come from the Sheriff.

She wasn't found with her bike, so we know there wasn't an accidental bike crash.

Kidnapping is where she would be grabbed off the road. There's a $200,000 reward for the kidnapper, no questions asked. Why hasn't the kidnapper arranged to get the money and return Suzanne?

Wondering if LE requested to review the Morphew daughters cell phones... if only to complete a record of timeline communications between daughters and parents.

Morphew house:
Desktop, laptop computers, tablets? → Internet searches?
Security system records? → House occupied on MD? → For how long?

How did daughters expect neighbor to check on their mother?
A simple knock on the door?
Does any neighbor have a key to the Morphew house?
Does any neighbor know any Morphew phone numbers?
Did the neighbor see something inside/outside house?
Did neighbor see SM bike at house and no answer at door make her call 911?

Just a thought...
Only 28 seconds of video for a virtual lifetime?
I think it would be protocol to verify locations of all the immediate family members including husband and daughters all allegedly out of town when SM vanished. Also see them taking all their phones to verify SM's communications with each of them up to the time she was reported missing. MOO

Too late to edit my post about neighbor vs family making the missing person report and want to add that I believe the Maysville neighbor had no knowledge of SM's day and was simply passing on information to the Police.

I recall we were first to believe that SM told her neighbor she was going off on her bike and to call 911 if she wasn't home by zero-dark-thirty.

Also, unless the neighbor was a close friend, I think family would be the best source to initiate a 911 call-- just to provide answers to the pertinent questions about the missing person asked by LE including birthdate, physical description, medical history, medications, last known contact, etc.
It's impossible for anyone to make a 911 call if they are not in the 911 calling jurisdiction. The only thing they could do is call the Sheriff's Office directly.
I assumed they knew because they were the ones who hired him to do the work.
Neighbors don't have to be "good friends" to look out for one another as neighbors. Our neighbors have the access code to our home yet we have never socialized as "friends." I don't believe SM told her neighbor she was going on a bike ride. I believe she told either her husband or one of her children and the neighbor was called to do a "well-being" check at the house. Those homes are large acreages and I doubt it is possible for the neighbor to see their property from her own home.

JMO

Gannon...If there was significant evidence a crime occurred there, could the release be delayed? IANLE, just curious?
In the recent case of the disappearance of Kelsey Berreth, her condo residence in Woodland Park, Colorado was held until after the trial a year later. It was totally trashed by four searches, but local people volunteered to help put it back together so her family could sell it.
Kelsey Berreth Murder: Authorities Release Hold Woodland Park Condo

I pretty much never go alone anywhere.
Maybe the grocery store and park up close by the cameras.
So maybe there's a different attitude in the country?
However, i don't believe she went on a bike ride that day

It's impossible for anyone to make a 911 call if they are not in the 911 calling jurisdiction. The only thing they could do is call the Sheriff's Office directly.

Neighbors don't have to be "good friends" to look out for one another as neighbors. Our neighbors have the access code to our home yet we have never socialized as "friends." I don't believe SM told her neighbor she was going on a bike ride. I believe she told either her husband or one of her children and the neighbor was called to do a "well-being" check at the house. Those homes are large acreages and I doubt it is possible for the neighbor to see their property from her own home.

JMO
On Google Earth, there appears to be a clear view of the home from the neighbor's deck. IMO

Respectfully,
What evidence is there to rule out the top three options? What evidence is there to suggest that murder is the case?
I agree that the focus of (an apparently capable) LE leads us in one “laser focused” direction; a direction that most of the commenters on this thread already put BM in prison for life.
But we know nothing, because no evidence has been released to the public.
I don’t know why, but I think there is more to this case than a “controlling” husband killing his wife of 30 years over a suggested divorce.
I also don’t put any merit in anyone’s analyzation of his 27sec video. Maybe that’s a result of the Shane Carey social media criticism.
Anyway, I don’t speak up often but I’m surprised on the lack of differing opinions on this thread. Until we get any real evidence, it might be worth exploring.

The 3 options you speak about considering are :
1=Voluntarily missing
2=Accident
3=Kidnapping

1= I don't see anything, at this time, that leans me towards her being voluntarily missing.

Of course it is always a possibility, however slight. But there are a few things which seem to point against it's likelihood. Reportedly, she had just a week earlier, been cleared of cancer, after battling it at least twice. She finished her treatments and was diagnosed as cancer free.

That in itself makes it seem unlikely that she would suddenly run away from her young, loving daughters, or do herself harm.

2= Accidents are always a possibility. But I think we would have seen physical evidence of that, somewhere near her bike, by now.

3= Kidnapping----a definite possibility

BBM- I believe her too, no doubt JC is telling the truth. She is obviously an excellent neighbor, not a peep out of her in the media. That's very honorable in this day & age.

IMO, she was contacted by the daughter(s) and told about the bike ride. IMO, the daughter(s) received that suggestion/information from BM.

My basis for not believing she went on a bike ride comes straight from CCSO. The only time a bike ride was mentioned was in the May 11th & May 13th press releases.

There have been 15 subsequent press releases since May 13th, not one of them mentions a bike ride or even a bike for that matter. If LE felt this was key in Suzanne's disappearance, wouldn't they reference it in their press releases?
No, because the media already knows the neighbor reported SM went on a bike ride. I think the daughters received that information directly from SM, not via their dad. My kids all called me directly on Mother's Day, they didn't first call their dad.

JMO

Last edited:
I pretty much never go alone anywhere.
Maybe the grocery store and park up close by the cameras.
So maybe there's a different attitude in the country?
However, i don't believe she went on a bike ride that day

Claims that she cycled every Sunday morning before church (relayed through the fire chief ???) don't make sense. It was cold during the month of April. Avid cyclists in cold Winter environments put bikes on trainers until the weather is warm.

It snowed April 12. When did she pick up the Sunday morning cycling habit? May 3 and 10 were good for mountain biking.

Gunnison, CO Weather Calendar | Weather Underground

Voluntarily Missing

There's nothing to support this idea. Not even the family thinks it is a possibility.​

Accident - investigated and rejected by Sheriff

"May 11: CrimeOnline has viewed a message that was sent to members of the Morphew’s former church in Indiana, requesting prayers following the news of her disappearance. The message notes that Morphew’s bike was found “crashed,” and mentions that a mountain lion had been seen in the area where the bike was discovered. ...

Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said during the first week of the search that investigators believed it was unlikely Morphew was the victim of an animal attack. (link)​

Kidnapping

$200,000 no questions asked reward for safe return. Kidnapper could get rich, yet no one has come forward.​

Murder

No evidence that we know of.​
Thank you for the response Otto, but nothing posted above “rules out “ voluntary missing, an accident (animal/otherwise) or kidnapping.
I realize that the odds of who did this are in agreement with the 99% commenters here, but there sure isn’t much evidence available to back that up.
Furthermore, I think the quick departure of the dig site and return of the homestead to BM means that LE might be back to the drawing board.
That said, I currently think:
50% BM
20% Abduction - Known
20% Abduction - UnKnown
10% Accident/Ran Off

Claims that she cycled every Sunday morning before church (relayed through the fire chief ???) don't make sense. It was cold during the month of April. Avid cyclists in cold Winter environments put bikes on trainers until the weather is warm.

It snowed April 12. When did she pick up the Sunday morning cycling habit? May 3 and 10 were good for mountain biking.

Gunnison, CO Weather Calendar | Weather Underground
Maybe it was a life long habit/hobby and she was just getting back to it, after recovering from her illness. ....?

I doubt the daughters talked to their father on MD or that he received a text from them. IMO BM had his phone turned off or had let it run out of charge. Why? His phone would have been a dead give away as to his location on May 10.

I doubt the daughters talked to their father on MD or that he received a text from them. IMO BM had his phone turned off or had let it run out of charge. Why? His phone would have been a dead give away as to his location on May 10.
I think if his phone had been turned off, LE would name him as a POI because his alibi would be in question.

JMO

IMO, SM’s disappearance was not the result of a random stranger but at this point I do not thoroughly discount it.

Please see the attached link to a random “event” that just occured on the anniversary of Jennifer Dulos’ murder in the same town she was murdered - New Canaan CT. Man, 31, Charged with Attempted Murder in ‘Random’ Valley Road Incident [UPDATING]

Imagine if the perp had been successful, with no witnesses or camera evidence and the victim vanished ? Just food for thought. There are those moments in time that sometimes result in crimes of opportunity.
I rarely rule out the possibility of random abductions. We have seen so many of them in this forum alone. Predators are more numerous than we'd like to believe.

I sincerely do not believe that the property owners were the informant, either. In fact, I would bet on it. JMO
I agree after re-reading the article on MSM. Very good point, wow my own bias inserted there. Thank you for keeping an eye on me!

“The property owner told CBS Denver that Morphew's husband, Barry, laid the dirt at the riverfront property. No other details about the search were released.”

No signs of Colorado woman who went missing on Mother's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member