Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Phrase: Repeating, Paraphrasing, or Embellishing?
Fire chief said (~) Suzanne was
known to go bike riding ono Sunday mornings." (Maybe, "has been known.")
From that phrasing, some ppl posted:
--- SM has a "habit" of bike riding Sundays.
--- SM "normally" went" ...
--- SM "ususally" went ...
--- SM "always" went...
It's possible that fire chief made that comment because he himself saw SM biking on multiple Sunday mornings, over a course of months or the year + the M fam was in CO. If so, info in stmt could have been by his personal observation. Or possibly he was repeating virtually verbatim what someone told him, based on that person's observation, or thru another source.
The phrase itself "been known to" is quite
vague, even if based on chief's personal observations, to begin with and a couple more iterations, its evidentiary value is further diluted. Or maybe it was embellished somewhere along the line. "Been known to" could be a powerful understatement, as used in phrase "he's been known to take a drink," meaning the man is a heavy duty drinker. Maybe SM had been doing competitive riding/racing, and maybe in fact she always rides on Sunday mornings.
Without knowing the chief's source for stmt - his observations, or second, third, or fourth hand info - and seeing it in print, not in person or on vid, how do we know how much weight to give it? IDK.

So much MSM coverage, but few known facts. jmo.

Yes, he was a classic psychopath, who picked his victims randomly. He said he did it for the thrill.
Some studies find some thrill seekers to have different brain chemistrys that need above average stimulus. Gambling addictions are often based on that thrill element. So I perceive it as an addiction. Of all the things at one can truly chose, why chose something self or other destructive, when creation is also an option. Something broken.

Professor Adshead says offenders can have problems with the faculty of choice.

"Can We Treat Violence?" - Professor Gwen Adshead
(on you tube) I don't know if linking a youtube is allowed

While we don't know about this (and money certainly could have been a motive with this crime), I'd be surprised if any recent life insurance policies could have been taken out on SM given what's been reported in MSM re: her health. MOO

I have no opinion about who may have harmed Suzanne but that said, she may have had a long standing policy taken out when she was much younger.

Can the life insurance company cancel them if you get sick, or raise the monthly cost? Anyone?

Do we know what time the bike was found, or even whether people had seen it sitting on the bridge during the day. I suspect it was sitting there from overnight Saturday.

There must be some immediate other clue to explain why LE never seemed remotely interested in bike story

We know that SM was reported missing on Sunday, May 10 at 5:46 p.m.

On May 13, BM's nephew TN told local Denver news that SM's bike was recovered on Sunday.

Assuming the above is true, the bike would have been recovered on May 10 between 5:46 pm and midnight.

There have been other unconfirmed reports that the bike was recovered from a ravine (RB), and from a bridge (NG).

LE has not confirmed any details about a bike missing or located.

I also don't believe that LE thinks a bike ride occurred.

I have no opinion about who may have harmed Suzanne but that said, she may have had a long standing policy taken out when she was much younger.

Can the life insurance company cancel them if you get sick, or raise the monthly cost? Anyone?
A insurance company can’t cancel the life insurance policy if they become sick or raise the premiums.

Yes, especially since we don't know what type of cancer she had, what type of treatments she had or when.
The comments made by people who knew her in Colorado described her as being happy there. I haven't heard any mention of her being sick or unhealthy at the time of her disappearance.

Imo
Thanks @MsBetsy for your post confirms what I understood about SM.

It seems I missed out when SM and cancer were approved for WS discussion and now I've read that SM moved to Colorado in need of a new medical team, and hints of a medical "letter" that SM received shortly before going missing.

I'm recalling two types of letters for cancer survivors: 1) letter confirming you've completed your treatment plan and to continue seeing your PCP; and 2) letter stating you've had xx months of negative screens and are now deemed cancer-free.

Is there any reason to believe SM's been anything but healthy in Colorado and that perhaps she simply received the welcomed, cancer-free letter?

Remember, no social media rumors allowed on the main thread.

Last edited:
I’m not sure, as we don’t have even basic facts here, let alone know about any evidence they have.

Knowing someone did something is one thing, but proving that someone did something is another thing entirely.

I do think that when and if her body is found, an arrest will immediately follow. But there’s no telling what will happen if that doesn’t occur.

I just wish we had a clue as to where the investigation stands.

I just think that for whatever reason, this case is a slam dunk. They know the who, how, and when, just trying to find Suzanne. Makes me wonder if this could be another Kelsey situation where no body is found, but plenty of evidence to prove this happened.

Last edited:
I just think that for whatever reason, this case is a slam dunk. They know the who, how, and when, just trying to find Suzanne. Makes me wonder if this could be another Kelsey situation where no body is found, but plenty of evidence to prove this happened.
I think you’re referring to an interview with a former Pueblo County Sheriff.

This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct," Corsentino said.

This was prior to the search of both that construction site, and the Morphew residence though, so his opinion may have changed.

Investigator explains FBI's involvement in Chaffee County missing woman case - KRDO

Last edited:
I think you’re referring to an interview with a former Pueblo County Sheriff.

This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct," Corsentino said.

This was prior to the search of both that construction site, and the Morphew residence though, so his opinion may have changed.

Investigator explains FBI's involvement in Chaffee County missing woman case - KRDO
Thanks. I deleted that first paragraph because I obviously quoted the wrong person and don't want to cause confusion.

In one of the press conferences that the sheriff did, didn't he say that this is bigger than a family situation (not exact wording)?

I think the "bigger than a family situation" message was not by Chaffee County Sheriff but by former Sheriff Corsentinio that provided commentary about this case to KRDO.

I don't have your confidence about it being a slam dunk -- still too many unanswered questions for me.

MOO

Life Insurance. Raise Premiums or Cancel Policy?
I have no opinion about who may have harmed Suzanne but that said, she may have had a long standing policy taken out when she was much younger. Can the life insurance company cancel them if you get sick, or raise the monthly cost? Anyone?
Melrose :)
Depends on type of life ins policy. Briefly, if, a
'limited term' policy, at end of, say, 5 yr or 10 yr term, policy expires. Often can be renewed, at option of owner, if the measuring life (SM) is able to demonstate insurability/pass medical exam, likely w higher premium.
If an old-style 'whole life' policy, carrier cannot cancel policy or raise premiums.
^ A bit oversimplified.^ Besides those two basic types of ins, there are many variations, like 'universal' etc., but as we do not know there were any policies, I hesitate to go into any detail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_insurance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_life_insurance
Whole life insurance - Wikipedia
Universal life insurance - Wikipedia
I'd invite someone w more L/I expertise to chime in. I believe someone on this thread is a currently licensed agent.

I think the "bigger than a family situation" message was not by Chaffee County Sheriff but by former Sheriff Corsentinio that provided commentary about this case to KRDO.

I don't have your confidence about it being a slam dunk -- still too many unanswered questions for me.

MOO
Yes- @MassGuy already pointed that out- thank you! I did delete that paragraph hoping no one else would quote it, as I don't want to cause confusion.

BBM

Fire Chief report about BM-
Husband of Suzanne Morphew is having a 'difficult time' as diggers continue construction site search | Daily Mail Online
'He’s going out, driving up the road, and trying to remember any suspicious vehicles that he’s seen,' he added.

I hope LE has eyes on him as he drives these roads.

This reminds me of a Perry Mason episode where he had his client and her friend take the same cab/driver that she (client) had taken on the previous night which was the the night of the murder. In case the driver recognized the woman, it was suggested that maybe he recognized her only on that next day's trip, not on the night of the murder. "Can you be sure that when you saw the defendant, it was on the night of the murder and not the next afternoon?" Muddying the waters, gaslighting, creating a new memory.

Something like that I think. I'm not sure who would think that "driving the roads would jog a memory of any suspicious vehicle". It might help him, but it also might jog someone else's memory of seeing him in his vehicle depending on what he was driving while doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53