Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.
Very odd !
Was it dirty and dented, like a car ran into it ?
Or was it pristine and laid on the shoulder of the road ?
Which road ?
How far had she presumably gone ?
Etc.
And the public is not being warned about a kidnapper on the loose.

Right now I don't think she had an accident because I think she'd have been located by now.
Imo.
Maybe they have a suspect, but keeping things quiet so as not to spook him? Idk

Yes.
Very odd !
Was it dirty and dented, like a car ran into it ?
Or was it pristine and laid on the shoulder of the road ?
Which road ?
How far had she presumably gone ?
Etc.
And the public is not being warned about a kidnapper on the loose.

Right now I don't think she had an accident because I think she'd have been located by now.
Imo.
BBM
This has been alarming to me from the beginning!

Hitting CNN, lots of attention!

A 49-year-old Colorado woman who went cycling on Mother's Day hasn't been seen since, according to the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office.

BB145xtG.img
© Chaffee County Sheriff's Office Suzanne Morphew went missing on Sunday, May 10.
Suzanne Morphew went missing in the area of County Road 225 and West Highway 50 west of Maysville, Colorado, on Sunday.

More than 100 search personnel, numerous drones, eight tracking and scent dogs, and flyover missions by Reach Air Ambulance have searched the area for any leads.

A Facebook page has been set up to find Morphew, and Morphew's husband Barry has pledged $100,000 for information that leads to her safe return. That reward has been increased to $200,000 thanks to a matching donation from a friend.

The FBI has set up a dedicated tip line at 719-312-7530 for any leads.

A woman went biking on Mother's Day. She hasn't been seen since

LE has already stated they were not seeking volunteers to assist with the search.
Since the family is relatively new to the area, perhaps they are hoping to pay for friends and/or family from IN to travel to Colorado to assist (per GF).

Unless TN is aware that LE plans to suspend their search efforts, I wouldn't think they would attempt to coordinate their own search simultaneously with LE but I could be wrong. I'm also not sure if TN is local so they'd probably need to do a call-out for local volunteers familiar with area and terrain to help with the search.

Also - if the family will begin their own search efforts, I'd expect to find this info announced on the official SM Missing page.

MOO
Missing woman Suzanne Morphew’s nephew, Trevor Noel, left a message with The Denver Post that said he would resume searching for her at 7 a.m. Thursday.
Suzanne Morphew search: Reward for missing Colorado woman increased to $200,000

Hubby was in Denver, 2.5 hours away from Salida. He was training. He’s a firefighter. The family appears to be living their best life and spending a lot of money doing so.
Spending a lot of money? Possible robbery at the house and threw the bike out to make it look like an accident? Kidnap/ransom?
I have no idea what a salary would be for a firefighter in that area, maybe the landscaping business was the money source.

I know a lot of you assume Mother’s Day should be spent with your family and kids. Not always. There have been times when I had a spa day(alone) as well as the last couple years(obviously not this year, because of Covid) my girlfriends and I Rented a limo and went wine tasting. This was our choice to have a nice relaxing day to ourselves. This could have been a request from Suzanne that she wanted time to herself. Especially since everyone has been couped up together!

Something still doesnt make sense to me.

The call came in to LE from the neighbor about her being missing and she had not returned from a bike ride.

So at the time of that call to LE, someone would have to have known when she left to think it was way too long for her to be gone in order to get worried enough to call LE.

So the two questions I still have that seems to have no answer from anything we have seen so far are these two questions.

What day/time did she actually leave on the alleged bike ride?

What day/time was she last seen or heard from by anyone?

It sounds to me like the neighbor saw her bike at County Road 225 and West Highway 50 but no sign of Suzanne. Police were called to that specific area instead of her house so it doesn't sound like the neighbor or family were just worried about her not returning from the bike ride. In that case they would have called the police to her house and started searching from there. I think the bike being found abandoned is very possibly what started the call to police and this whole investigation.

This still does not explain why the police haven't given a description of the bike, etc to see if there are any witnesses. Very strange to me!

Last edited:
I'm really surprised at the lack of news conferences by law enforcement or the family. Usually a family is desperate to get the word out, but this family seems very quiet, except for offering a huge reward. When others have gone missing, there have been daily news updates. While I understand some details need to be kept quiet, there appears to be nothing getting out on this case.

His comment is very odd.
He does, though, seem to be spearheading finding her.
It's common for a missing person outside of a known crime scene to have LE asked NOT to have volunteer searchers. If they are covering a wide area (missing hiker, missing biker) the volunteers on the trail totally muddy up the scent trail for the dogs making it really hard to track her. That's not suspicious at all and I've seen that request many times in missing person investigations in outdoor areas.

From what I read upthread somewhere Suzanne went out on her bike at 4 something pm. and was reported missing around 6 pm. Don't know if the neighbor actually saw her leave. Which brings me to the question that if not, how would one know when she left. Did Suzanne call or text someone about her plan? If text, can we be sure it was her texting? Was her phone found btw? We know so little.

I may be wrong but 8 tracking dogs tell me they haven't picked up on a scent, and they are trying to get one. I would think if they did, one or two would be enough.
IMO she was abducted from someone in a vehicle, and the FBI is involved because they know this isn't a search and rescue effort involving someone that may have lost their way.
I'm not pointing fingers, but why hasn't the husband been involved with any public statements? Could it be he's aware that there would be many body language experts watching every move?
Did an Attorney tell him to keep his mouth shut?

It’s a Sunday.

College is closed. Restaurants and bars closed. Most college kids would not be able to afford staying in an apartment without a job. Maybe rooming with a bunch of friends and has a full time job working online.

Camping out of state.

Perhaps her husband had to pick up something essential for his business. Maybe the closest Home Depot is in Denver.

Pandemic. Safer at home. Essential trips only. Get outside, bike, hike - close to home.

It’s everything combined that makes it’s odd to me.

JMO

Was it confirmed the high-schooler was camping out of state? Sorry, I'm behind.

My two cents for the out of state college kid -- College is closed, but at least where I am, it had just closed that week, so a lot of cramming for finals prior. Most students, including mine, sign one-year leases off-campus that are paid for by the parents, so it's no skin off their backs to stay in the apartment. My kid officially graduated this May, but has the apartment paid through June, so he periodically drives back and forth. I accept the risk, so I'm probably a bad pandemic example but that's another story lol.

Suzanne Morphew search: Reward for missing Colorado woman increased to $200,000

5/14/20

“Police and family are seeking any information that leads to her safe return, no questions asked, and offer a $200,000 reward,” according to a missing person’s bulletin.

Missing woman Suzanne Morphew’s nephew, Trevor Noel, left a message with The Denver Post that said he would resume searching for her at 7 a.m. Thursday.

A family friend matched the $100,000 reward offered by Morphew’s husband, bringing the total to $200,000, Noel’s message said. He did not identify the family friend.

ETA: I will not be surprised if LE announces they are suspending the search.

I also got the sense that family was gearing up for their own search when TN set up the GF on Tuesday.

It sounds to me like the neighbor saw her bike at County Road 225 and West Highway 50 but no sign of Suzanne. Police were called to that specific area instead of her house so it doesn't sound like the neighbor or family were just worried about her not returning from the bike ride. In that case they would have called the police to her house and started searching from there. I think the bike being found abandoned is very possibly what started the call to police and this whole investigation.

This still does not explain why the police haven't given a description of the bike, etc to see if there are any witnesses. Very strange to me!

I don't think the bike was that far away from the house.

There is another property with two homes on Puma Path. The listed owner lives out of state and has the homes in the name of a LLC. I wonder if they are investment homes and are rented out on Airb&b? Just a thought ...
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

BBM What I find strange is how would the neighbor know that was her bike. It could have been anyone’s bike. In my neighborhood, the houses are much closer together and I couldn’t tell you what anyone’s bike looked like. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam