Found Alive Colombia - Cessna plane crashed in rainforest on 1 May, 3 adults dead, 4 children missing - 15 May 2023

ifindedout

Reaction score
Sad news and great news, it's not often that such a combination happens.
Three children and a baby have miraculously been found alive after 17 days wandering the Columbian Amazon after a plane crash.

The brothers, 11-months, four, nine and 13, were left at the mercy of wild animals and survived by eating jungle fruits before their rescue yesterday.

Three adult bodies were already found after the crash, which is believed to have happened due a mechanical failure on May 1.

The deaths included the pilot of the plane and the mother of the four brothers from the Huitoto ethnic group.

The Cessna 206 light aircraft was flying between Araracuara in Amazonas province and San Jose del Guaviare, a city in Guaviare province, when it disappeared in the early hours.

Colombian authorities have not yet given the cause of the plane crash but the country's disaster response body said the pilot had reported problems with the engine minutes before the plane disappeared from radar systems.

I just heard about this on the radio.

It said that it hasn't actually been confirmed that they have been found.

Colombians have accused their president of creating false hope after he announced four children had been miraculously rescued from a plane crash in the Amazon, only for the armed forces to declare they are still yet to find survivors.

CNN just aired a piece on this and said the children have not been found, but there is still hope that they might be. Rescue crews found signs that the children survived the crash and have moved away from the crash site, presumably looking for help. They found a make-shift shelter and some of the children’s belongings along a trail.

President Petro was misinformed. Whether by Min of Defence or by the Institute of Welfare for children ICBEF.

Even if these kids were Huitoto, they would not have survived these conditions at those ages

1684542393991.png
In this photo released by Colombia's Armed Forces Press Office, a soldier stands in front of the wreckage of a Cessna C206, Thursday, May 18, 2023. PHOTO BY COLOMBIA'S ARMED FORCES PRESS OFFICE /THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

''BOGOTA, Colombia — Colombians were on edge Friday as a search continued for four Indigenous children who might have survived a deadly plane crash in the Amazon jungle 19 days ago.''

'The accident occurred in the early hours of May 1 when a Cessna C206 with seven passengers on board declared an emergency due to engine failure. Shortly after, the small aircraft fell off radar and a frantic search for survivors began'.

''Colombian troops found the wreckage Tuesday along with the bodies of three adults: the pilot, a guide and the children’s mother. But there was no sign of the youngsters.

The children, members of the Uitoto Indigenous community, were identified as Lesly Jacobombaire Mucutuy, 13; Soleiny Jacobombaire Mucutuy, 9; Tien Noriel Ronoque Mucutuy, 4; and Cristin Neriman Ranoque Mucutuy, 11 months.''

Latest news. I'm doing a compliation of what we have heard. Will be happy to translate articles if anything concrete occurs.

As some may know from other tropical threads, I am local and both husband and I have worked for many years in the Colombian Amazon.

So, the theory is still that these children may be alive. <modsnip>

- My OH has spent over 40 years in the region, says there is a possibility that there are uncontacted tribes (many here in Colombian Amazon). In fact, he thinks that the most likely possibility ,given lack of cadáveres, is that these kids may have been picked up and are being sheltered or seen as a "magic gift from the sky".

In any casé, that would be the safest situation for them.

Will keep you updated and reporting my post for approved or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searches continúe. Today there was an air drop of food, water and firelighters.

The group of indigenous searchers will be replaced tomorrow by a new team, as the first is exhausted.

Still, hope being expressed as no bodies have been found or detected. These are high temperatures and any smell or circuling of vultures have not been perceived.

Latest news. I'm doing a compliation of what we have heard. Will be happy to translate articles if anything concrete occurs.

As some may know from other tropical threads, I am local and both husband and I have worked for many years in the Colombian Amazon.

So, the theory is still that these children may be alive. <modsnip>

- My OH has spent over 40 years in the region, says there is a possibility that there are uncontacted tribes (many here in Colombian Amazon). In fact, he thinks that the most likely possibility ,given lack of cadáveres, is that these kids may have been picked up and are being sheltered or seen as a "magic gift from the sky".

In any casé, that would be the safest situation for them.

Will keep you updated and reporting my post for approved or not.

wouldn't that be fantastic if they were sheltered by a local tribe but then will they be found?

Searches continúe. Today there was an air drop of food, water and firelighters.

The group of indigenous searchers will be replaced tomorrow by a new team, as the first is exhausted.

Still, hope being expressed as no bodies have been found or detected. These are high temperatures and any smell or circuling of vultures have not been perceived.
all good news

Looking at the wreckage, mostly intact except for the engine, and likely decelerated some as it went in through the trees I could see where someone in the back could survive, especially a child. A child surviving a plane crash that kills all adults is not rare. There was a Northwest Airlines flight many years ago, that killed all 140+ passengers and all crew, with only one survivor a four-year-old girl. Plane crashes with a sole survivor

It's simple physics - size matters in any accident that involves changes in momentum and collisions. Momentum is mass times velocity, If a child and an adult are traveling at the same speed - because they have different masses, they'll have different momentums. What dictates the damage done to someone in a "sudden stop" is the change in momentum. An adult with a greater change in momentum than a child would more likely be killed.

Children usually have chubbier bodies and almost always have a higher proportion of body water so they are more robust to injury. They have more padding around their bodies and their bodies are soft. A fall that will kill an adult might only injure a child. There bones are also going to bend with trauma rather than snap across. If you deform them, rather than break, they spring back to close to their normal position. This helps with survival until puberty when their bones become more like an adult. Their smaller body size also helps - they’ve got more seat structure around them to protect them than an adult.

So I can see their survival as a possibility but the fact that there are no reports they've actually been SEEN is concerning. They could not have been on board, they could have survived and wandered off, or they could have been taken by predators. Or they could have been found by the locals and are sheltered. Praying for a good outcome.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back