Congressman Mark Foley resigned

BarnGoddess said:
Nova, I don't disagree with you at all. I'm one of those middle of the road Republicans...

I know, BG. I was just responding to one remark (which may not have been yours).

I don't think the Frank scandal is really comparable. A friend of his was using his house for illegal activity; Frank put a stop to it. Using poor judgment in choosing your friends is hardly the same as preying on teenagers.

But on the whole, I don't for a moment think Democratic legislators are any better in terms of their personal conduct.

IdahoMom said:
This is a developing detail, being reported on drudgereport.com :OOps! ABC screwed up, I guess. They said the IMs were with an underage page (meaning under 18). Guess what? The guy was 18 years old after all. See, ABC screwed up and failed to redact his name. Someone saw the name, and it turns out the guy is now 21, and this is 3 years after the fact.
that might be a story to follow for a few days...the one quoted above that Drudge cadged off of "Wild Bill". Other than Drudge, no one else will link to it, for obvious reasons...even tho it's been posted, taken down, re-posted, offered for sale, etc. for a day or so.

Drudge has already made his bones on FoleyGate by blaming those "little beasts" house pages...so, he can hardly sink lower in my very humble opinion.

GonzoReiter said:
that might be a story to follow for a few days...the one quoted above that Drudge cadged off of "Wild Bill". Other than Drudge, no one else will link to it, for obvious reasons...even tho it's been posted, taken down, re-posted, offered for sale, etc. for a day or so.

Drudge has already made his bones on FoleyGate by blaming those "little beasts" house pages...so, he can hardly sink lower in my very humble opinion.
LOL. I deleted my post because I knew some who say it can't be true if it's on Drudge, plus I thought it would be best to let ABC or another network of that type clear the air.

IdahoMom said:
LOL. I deleted my post because I knew some who say it can't be true if it's on Drudge, plus I thought it would be best to let ABC or another network of that type clear the air.

I heard this story on a talk radio program last night. The host was tying himself in knots trying to make this about ABC.

Shades of Rathergate, where CBS' errors were used to overshadow the fact that the woman who originally typed the incriminating memo re GWB's service said that the memo produced by CBS was essentially accurate, even if it was fake.

After all, Foley has already confessed publically and tried to displace blame onto alcohol and the clergy. Even if ABC did make errors, it's a little late to think those errors will clear Foley.

Nova said:
After all, Foley has already confessed publically and tried to displace blame onto alcohol and the clergy. Even if ABC did make errors, it's a little late to think those errors will clear Foley.
I'm not wanting to see him cleared- I want to see him prosecuted!:angel:

IdahoMom said:
I'm not wanting to see him cleared- I want to see him prosecuted!:angel:

I'm sorry, IM. My remarks weren't addressed to you. (And I'm not saying the ABC report shouldn't be corrected.)

I was talking about the emphasis on "media errors" that some of the rightwing media prefer to actually talking about the subject.

BarnGoddess said:
If 16 and 17 are children, then all of my examples, other than Barney Frank were children....

It's my understanding that the age of consent in the District of Columbia is 16.

Pedro, I am not an extremist. I am a realist. Not all Republicans are as right wing as you may want to believe. Extreme religion of any kind disgusts me. Every American has the responsibility to teach their children values and morals. You don't have to be an Evangelical Christian to do that. I would hope liberal Democrats hold the same values as I do, and as I have passed on to my sons.

Having lived in DC for 17 years, I understand the day to day workings of our government. That makes my a total cynic. In Washington, it's politics as usual.

Long and interesting post, still I don't see where there is justification to protect child molesters.

Just because some democrat did it 20 or 30 years ago, we can't say it's right.

Those children are entitled to the institution for their care. There is no justification for exposing them to a child molester, even less to cover his despicable actions.

The American people does not support child predators, period.

HeartofTexas,

Your right it has to do with politics, because he is a politican..But politics is not the issue here, he is a so called human when he is not at his job! That is not my point, child predators are out there everywhere, may be politican but could be your child's teacher... I am middle of the road when it comes to politics but tend to lean towards republic due to various issues.. What continues to amazes me though about steadfast dem's is you find it "ok" that a so called president gets bj in the whitehouse but try to beat up rep's over im's.. This doesn't make sense to me. I personally don't think either one is ok and think BOTH should pay. but then again don't understand the dem's side whole other world!!!!

Straitfan said:
HeartofTexas,

Your right it has to do with politics, because he is a politican..But politics is not the issue here, he is a so called human when he is not at his job! That is not my point, child predators are out there everywhere, may be politican but could be your child's teacher... I am middle of the road when it comes to politics but tend to lean towards republic due to various issues.. What continues to amazes me though about steadfast dem's is you find it "ok" that a so called president gets bj in the whitehouse but try to beat up rep's over im's.. This doesn't make sense to me. I personally don't think either one is ok and think BOTH should pay. but then again don't understand the dem's side whole other world!!!!
Are you KIDDING me???? You are making it sound like it is in innocent IM. He knowingly sent suggestive emails to a SIXTEEN year old boy who was working for him. He knew what he was doing was wrong and yet he continued to do it anyway, while smiling in public and letting everyone know that he would do what he could to take down sexual predators. What do you think would have happened if this boy showed any interest back? There is not a doubt in my mind that Foley would have taken this to the next level.

Bill Clinton is no saint and clearly has fidelity/women issues. However, he was involved with a willing participant who admittedly was obsessed with him, and WHO WAS OF LEGAL AGE OF CONSENT. That is the difference right there. And if you can't see that then frightens me.

Also, I don't hold any republican other than Foley and those who knew about this and covered it up, responsible. I would feel the same way if it was a Democrat who had done this.

What Masterj said. Exactly.

Masterj said:
Also, I don't hold any republican other than Foley and those who knew about this and covered it up, responsible. I would feel the same way if it was a Democrat who had done this.

Agreed

Masterj,

Don't think you read my entire post you quoted! I have never said sending IM's was ok, think he is a creep, makes me sick at my stomach and should pay big time cause if one is representing th country in any form (IMO) makes the matter EVEN worse. Don't think either one is ok and I don't really care "what side of the fence" they are on, wrong is wrong period!

Straitfan said:
Masterj,

Don't think you read my entire post you quoted! I have never said sending IM's was ok, think he is a creep, makes me sick at my stomach and should pay big time cause if one is representing th country in any form (IMO) makes the matter EVEN worse. Don't think either one is ok and I don't really care "what side of the fence" they are on, wrong is wrong period!
No, I read your entire post. I just took issue with you comparing Foley with Bill Clinton.

And.... ?!?! Comparable as to their issues, no, but comparable in so far as integrity, they can be compared, I do have also a problem with a President doing that in the White House, he could have stayed at home in Arkansas!!! Am I saying his is worse or whatever, I would not try to compare in that sense. As far as being wrong, they are both extremely WRONG! Have a good one.

1) Monica Lewinsky was after him and threw herself at him. She knew exactly what she was doing; and enjoyed it

2) She was of legal age

3) He was of legal age; he had an "affair", just like probably 50% of the male population has had

Integrity???? Just consider the difference between the above and stalking underage pages; who do not ask for it, do not want it, but are in the precarious position of not wanting to hurt their chances for recommendations or promotions, etc.

One is ABUSE, plain and simple. The other is not. Also against the law.

Straitfan said:
And.... ?!?! Comparable as to their issues, no, but comparable in so far as integrity, they can be compared, I do have also a problem with a President doing that in the White House, he could have stayed at home in Arkansas!!! Am I saying his is worse or whatever, I would not try to compare in that sense. As far as being wrong, they are both extremely WRONG! Have a good one.
"And...?!?!"

I don't think I need to elaborate further. I already responded to you previously. I take issue with you comparing even the integrity of a President who had an extramarital affair with a consenting woman of age and a Congressman who harrassed a 16 year old boy with sexually charged emails. It is clear that we have different opinions so let's just leave it at that.

Masterj said:
"And...?!?!"

I don't think I need to elaborate further. I already responded to you previously. I take issue with you comparing even the integrity of a President who had an extramarital affair with a consenting woman of age and a Congressman who harrassed a 16 year old boy with sexually charged emails. It is clear that we have different opinions so let's just leave it at that.
I am in total agreement with you. I really don't understand why Clinton's name keeps coming up in this Foley mess. Bill Clinton was an adulterer - Foley is a sexual predator.

So much for family values, anti-gay positions and protection of decency.

* Republican racist pedophile and United States Senator Strom Thurmond
had sex with a 15-year old black girl which produced a child.(Strom has gotten a lot of ovations!)

* Republican pastor Mike Hintz, whom George W. Bush commended during the 2004 presidential campaign, surrendered to police after admitting to a sexual affair with a female juvenile.

* Republican Congressman Dan Crane had sex with a female minor working as a congressional page.

* Republican congressman and anti-gay activist Robert Bauman was
charged with having sex with a 16-year-old boy he picked up at a gay
bar.

* Republican Committee Chairman Jeffrey Patti was arrested for
distributing a video clip of a 5-year-old girl being raped.

* Republican activist Marty Glickman (a.k.a. "Republican Marty"), was
taken into custody by Florida police on four counts of unlawful sexual
activity with an underage girl and one count of delivering the drug
LSD.

* Republican legislative aide Howard L. Brooks was charged with
molesting a 12-year old boy and possession of child *advertiser censored*.

* Republican Senate candidate John Hathaway was accused of having sex
with his 12-year old baby sitter and withdrew his candidacy after the
allegations were reported in the media.

* Republican preacher Stephen White, who demanded a return to
traditional values, was sentenced to jail after offering $20 to a
14-year-old boy for permission to perform oral sex on him.

* Republican talk show host Jon Matthews pleaded guilty to exposing
his genitals to an 11 year old girl.

* Republican anti-gay activist Earl "Butch" Kimmerling was sentenced
to 40 years in prison for molesting an 8-year old girl after he
attempted to stop a gay couple from adopting her.

* Republican Party leader Paul Ingram pleaded guilty to six counts of
raping his daughters and served 14 years in federal prison.

* Republican election board official Kevin Coan was sentenced to two
years probation for soliciting sex over the internet from a 14-year
old girl.

* Republican politician Andrew Buhr was charged with two counts of
first degree sodomy with a 13-year old boy.

* Republican politician Keith Westmoreland was arrested on seven
felony counts of lewd and lascivious exhibition to girls under the age
of 16 (i.e. exposing himself to children).

* Republican anti-abortion activist John Allen Burt was charged with
sexual misconduct involving a 15-year old girl.

* Republican County Councilman Keola Childs pleaded guilty to
molesting a male child.

* Republican activist John Butler was charged with criminal sexual
assault on a teenage girl.

* Republican candidate Richard Gardner admitted to molesting his two daughters.

* Republican Councilman and former Marine Jack W. Gardner was
convicted of molesting a 13-year old girl.

* Republican County Commissioner Merrill Robert Barter pleaded guilty
to unlawful sexual contact and assault on a teenage boy.

* Republican City Councilman Fred C. Smeltzer, Jr. pleaded no contest
to raping a 15 year-old girl and served 6-months in prison.

* Republican activist Parker J. Bena pleaded guilty to possession of
child *advertiser censored* on his home computer and was sentenced to 30 months
in federal prison and fined $18,000.

* Republican parole board officer and former Colorado state
representative, Larry Jack Schwarz, was fired after child *advertiser censored*
was found in his possession.

* Republican strategist and Citadel Military College graduate Robin
Vanderwall was convicted in Virginia on five counts of soliciting sex
from boys and girls over the internet.

* Republican city councilman Mark Harris, who is described as a "good
military man" and "church goer," was convicted of repeatedly having
sex with an 11-year-old girl and sentenced to 12 years in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back