Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they sue, saying that their child was 'indelibly damaged' by hearing the attack over the intercom. FGS---that intercom being turned on probably saved their DD's life!

Hearing that intercom warned the teachers that it was not a phony fire drill, but a REAL emergency. Many were able to lock down their rooms or move their students to safety.

Yes many were able to lock the doors and many might not of had keys and if true that is a big issue.Why have the staff have practice lock downs if they do not have the ability to lock the doors.If it is true IMO that might have cost teachers as well as students their lives.

And they have settled several cases out if court.
It's a rag. I'm not saying nothing is ever true, I'm saying you never can tell.
They pay their "sources" and run with it.

So sometimes their "sources" make up crap for a paycheck.

I don't trust them. I stay away from reading it.

To each their own.

But I prefer my news from more reputable sources.

But this is really off topic so ill move on.

Unfortunately, if you are alluding to mainstream media of ANY variety then it is to be taken with a grain of salt at best. Rule number one- do not trust the news for the truth- because it is usually seeded with propaganda and outright smoke and mirror tactics to keep the masses confused and comforted, or terrorized, depending on the flavor of the day. Mass media is OWNED by the moguls- so careful looking to any of them for the reality...they tell us what they want to tell us and nothing more. Look WAY past the media to get to the truth.

She only survived because she played dead.Even with therapy that little girl will never be the same child she was earlier that morning,neither will her parents ever feel the same as well.It is too early to tell but IMO all the parents or most will sue once the shock wears away especially if it is true some teachers were not given a key to lock their door in a emergency just because they were new teachers or for whatever reasons.If God forbid I was one of those parents and my child died because they did not give the teacher a key I would want to go after them as well.They had just put in security measures why would they leave students and teachers sitting ducks by not being able to do a lock down?Seems like an epic failure to me if true.

I don't think the child whose parents are suing is the one who only survived because she played dead.

The child heard "conversations, gunfire and screaming" over Sandy Hook's intercom after someone in the office apparently switched on the system, according to the claim. Pinsky said Saturday he didn't know whether his client saw anyone die.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/29/newtown-lawsuit-100-million-irving-pinsky_n_2381733.html

It sounds like it's someone from the other classrooms that the killer didn't go to.

They are reporting that AL's body has been claimed.

Yes many were able to lock the doors and many might not of had keys and if true that is a big issue.Why have the staff have practice lock downs if they do not have the ability to lock the doors.If it is true IMO that might have cost teachers as well as students their lives.

No disrespect but locks, keys, etc are really no match for an AR-15 or most guns in general. They may serve as a split second deterrant, but in reality they are just like sticking a finger into a dam.

I don't think that elementary schools ever really thought that a shooter would come and kill little children. I think most people expected another Columbine type situAtion, so high schools and even middle schools have been preparing for that type of assault situation---a student standing up and pulling out an AK-47 in the cafeteria, for example. But an elementary school? :what:

I don't think that elementary schools ever really thought that a shooter would come and kill little children. I think most people expected another Columbine type situAtion, so high schools and even middle schools have been preparing for that type of assault situation---a student standing up and pulling out an AK-47 in the cafeteria, for example. But an elementary school? :what:

I can honestly say that until Dec 14 2012, I never ever thought this could or would happen in an elementary school.Many here are teachers and I remember some posting about practicing lock downs in their rooms.Not sure what grades they taught but I would think the schools do it for every grade.Some times I really believe the world has gone mad and evil is truly living among us.

No disrespect but locks, keys, etc are really no match for an AR-15 or most guns in general. They may serve as a split second deterrant, but in reality they are just like sticking a finger into a dam.

True but even a few minutes could have been the difference between life and death.IIRC A teacher who was behind a locked door said the gunman tried her door it was locked and he moved on.That locked doors saved that teacher and her students.If every door were locked it might have saved lives and it would be horrible if it is true that some teachers did not have a key to lock the doors.

She only survived because she played dead.Even with therapy that little girl will never be the same child she was earlier that morning,neither will her parents ever feel the same as well.It is too early to tell but IMO all the parents or most will sue once the shock wears away especially if it is true some teachers were not given a key to lock their door in a emergency just because they were new teachers or for whatever reasons.If God forbid I was one of those parents and my child died because they did not give the teacher a key I would want to go after them as well.They had just put in security measures why would they leave students and teachers sitting ducks by not being able to do a lock down?Seems like an epic failure to me if true.

According to the reports, it doesn't appear that the child who is being used in this lawsuit was even in one of the rooms where the shootings occured so I don't understand how she played dead? It says she is traumatized by the intercom being on and hearing the shots and yelling.

IF we are talking about the same little girl, then weren't her parents talking to the media immediately? :waitasec: This story of this little girl playing dead came out pretty quickly and I remember us talking about how smart she was to play dead. I think that it changes things if she was actually in the room and watched her schoolmates and teachers get gunned down. Not to the tune of 100 million dollars, but it terms of needing long term care for trauma, I get that. Thing is... couselors are there right now. Those counselors can get them in touch with long term counselors. These counselors are offering their services for free.

I just find the suit extremely ill-timed (especially since it appears they sought a lawyer less than a week after the shooting) and insensitive. An investigation is not even close to complete.

I disagree that "all the parents or most will sue," but time will tell and if so I'll eat my words. While all schools should be prepared for emergencies, I think most parents will understand that it is impossible to guard against every possible scenario, including the unknown variable of a madman who is determined to kill at any cost.

I wondered if the family of the vice principal at my son's school might sue, but it never even entered my mind that survivors might sue. Fortunately no one did. While I'll admit to being a bit angry that the shooter's father (who was in LE) left his service weapon unsecured, it never once occurred to me that anyone but the shooter was to blame. I don't know if any kids saw the actual shootings, but I know that several were in close proximity and did witness the principal running out of the office with a GSW to the chest, yelling at security to initiate lockdown before collapsing, so the potential for trauma certainly exists for at least a few kids. I guess maybe we are just backwards-*advertiser censored* folk here in the midwest (lol), but there has been nothing but support from the parents for the school district here. Perhaps it would be different if children had died.

Btw, the vice-principal's son still teaches at the school, and the family has established a memorial scholarship in her name. My son just finished filling out the application for it. Wish us luck! :)

True but even a few minutes could have been the difference between life and death.IIRC A teacher who was behind a locked door said the gunman tried her door it was locked and he moved on.That locked doors saved that teacher and her students.If every door were locked it might have saved lives and it would be horrible if it is true that some teachers did not have a key to lock the doors.

Why would you even need a key to lock your door from the inside? You would only need a key to get inside from the outside... I would think? I know teachers lock their doors from the outside with keys when they are on breaks, but they should have been able to lock them from the inside without keys.

Would the two classrooms that the shooter did gain access to even have enough time to go and lock their doors while trying to gather 15-plus panicked children (some with special needs). I think I remember reading that the shooter left Victoria Soto's room before coming back and shooting himself? Or he shot himself in the hallway? Could that third classroom have been the one that had time to lock their door? He tried to get in... couldn't and then killed himself? These two classrooms that he did gain access to were right by his point of entry. Do we even know how long from the time he shot the victims in the main office and the time he finished? How many minutes?

ETA: Which brings me back to Victoria Soto. She did get all her children in a closet (poor things panicked) and she was standing in the classroom when AL entered. Was she running to lock the door after placing the children in the closet and that is why she was not yet in the closet with them like the other teacher? I think the fact that Victoria Soto never made it to that door after placing the children in the closet shows us just how fast things happened. There just wasn't enough time.

This. Who could have EVER thought that someone, who had no recent connections to the school, go into an elementary school and kill such little children. These shootings are usually the work of fellow students. Not adult men who have more guns and ammunition than at least three police officers combined. A single police officer couldn't have stopped AL's mission he set out for himself that day. He was determined. He was prepared. More than anyone could have ever imagined a person could be.

I've thought a lot about this recently and even if they did have a resource officer on duty, it would not have helped. He was way too prepared. There is no way a resource officer would have been able to retrieve his/her gun fast enough to have stopped him. He would have shot and killed them first. No doubt the officer would have been at the front of the school because school had just started. Really, there is no way to stop the AL's of this world from carrying out what they have set their mind to. That's scary.

So what else is there? What can we do to even have a remote chance of stopping something like this from ever happening again? I honestly have no answers. Oh, I have suggestions, but I keep going back to AL's determination. He would have still found a way, wouldn't he?

Just watch and listen over the next few years... that is what I did. Most of what they publish ends up being in MSM eventually... In any case, when the National Enquirer names specifics, I listen. In this case, they said one of the games AL liked most was something called "Dynasty Warriors". Anyone heard of it? I was hoping to find a character that I could merge into his own name and find an alias somewhere on the net. No luck so far....

Yea, they are a bunch of games based off of medieval China. Basically involves swords and stuff like that (third person I believe). They are all rated T for Teen.

Dynasty Warriors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfortunately I can't say I'm surprised by the lawsuit. People sue in this country for the most trivial things and there are enough lawyers around to take on cases like this. As a matter of fact I think in most shootings there winds up being a lawsuit of some kind.

I can honestly say that until Dec 14 2012, I never ever thought this could or would happen in an elementary school.Many here are teachers and I remember some posting about practicing lock downs in their rooms.Not sure what grades they taught but I would think the schools do it for every grade.Some times I really believe the world has gone mad and evil is truly living among us.

::raisesHand::: Me me me. I have been trained in CT for lockdowns at every level k-8 school and a HS -except the college where I teach.

The training video we were shown by the local police showed an example so close to what happened there it is absolutely frightening. ( then and haunting now)In the demonstration- they show you- the teacher looking outside and seeing someone -heavily armed -walking by the windows.

The examples we were told were all sorts of threats...including an alienated parent of a kid, or spouse of teacher or staff member. In a nursery school - in a synagogue a staff worker was literally brutally gunned -down by her ex husband in her office!!!!!

The other part of the lockdown demonstration film they showed us also showed the hypothetical perp- walking through halls...trying doors and moving on!

The directions were - specifically ...immediate system...UPON hearing code word started by anyone who saw it first!!!!!!!( so that would be teacher seeing armed gunman- or main office - or gym- where ever!!!!here are the procedures in CT: Locking doors-- covering windows- placing students and your self in a place in the room where they are not seen or heard. ( alot in ashort time) I gave the example that when the VP and I waved to the police officer through the window in our door...the officer told us- we would be dead. NO you do not ever face to face with the Killer!!!!! No you don't say..."the students are in the gym" :-( that protected THOSE Students...not that teacher...and also put the students who were in the gym in peril!

The ones who survived that shooting were trained. The example shared here in WS by the parent whose HS kids' Princ. and Vice princ were killed-in a school-shooting worked. Thank god They did what they were supposed to do. That is why noone is suing. They waited all day ( safely)till they were liberated by officers. That is the way it was supposed to be done.

IMO and in the training I have received in this state...I am sorry...noone should have heard anyone screaming,, crying ...or being shot. They only should have heard - some code word. Every one even substitutes need to know the procedures - have keys- and know- the one code word. "MR rogers" "Liverwurst" " helterskelter"--whatever it is.
:-( I am so sorry this whole thing makes my heart hurt for my colleagues, and the students, and the families and for the first responders, and those tiny little kids- who had to see it all. :-( ( no they did not close their eyes - they saw and heard A LOT)
I am sure there will be other law suits. I truly think thiis first one is symbolic.

I am so sorry to say...we are not invincible.

This. Who could have EVER thought that someone, who had no recent connections to the school, go into an elementary school and kill such little children. These shootings are usually the work of fellow students. Not adult men who have more guns and ammunition than at least three police officers combined. A single police officer couldn't have stopped AL's mission he set out for himself that day. He was determined. He was prepared. More than anyone could have ever imagined a person could be.

I've thought a lot about this recently and even if they did have a resource officer on duty, it would not have helped. He was way too prepared. There is no way a resource officer would have been able to retrieve his/her gun fast enough to have stopped him. He would have shot and killed them first. No doubt the officer would have been at the front of the school because school had just started. Really, there is no way to stop the AL's of this world from carrying out what they have set their mind to. That's scary.

So what else is there? What can we do to even have a remote chance of stopping something like this from ever happening again? I honestly have no answers. Oh, I have suggestions, but I keep going back to AL's determination. He would have still found a way, wouldn't he?

I know where you're thinking. But I beleive a trained security guard, maybe a retired LE officer working part time security could've shot Lanza

Lanza did not have body armor, he wore a hunting type vest, and black clothes, ski mask

IMHO a security officer could've shot & killed Lanza. Where I live in Cincinnati, OH we have several retired LE officers working security. They wear flak jackets with kevlar body armor and are fully equipped with a gun, taser, and the proper communications devices to instantly contact first responders LE officers for help

<modsnip>

Appears to be. AP reporting it was his father.

The father of the gunman who killed 26 people in a Connecticut school shooting has claimed his son's body.

A spokesman for the family said Monday that Peter Lanza claimed the remains of Adam Lanza. He didn't say when the remains were claimed.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/remains-conn-gunman-claimed-burial-18097781#.UOGf7OTAd_Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle