Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've often wondered (and perhaps we'll never know) if the power had shifted slowly within the house to where NL had very little left.

Perhaps AL was really the one running the show?

Maybe NL's only power remaining was the control of the guns in the household?

It is quite possible that NL was living under the rules of her very sick son????

I've often wondered (and perhaps we'll never know) if the power had shifted slowly within the house to where NL had very little left.

Perhaps AL was really the one running the show?

Maybe NL's only power remaining was the control of the guns in the household?

It is quite possible that NL was living under the rules of her very sick son????

From what has been reported, she was living under his rules-but obviously because she let him. He wouldn't even go out most of the time. She was the one controlling the finances and with access to the outside world.

Yeah, if the co-author is NOT NL, then NL would definitely NOT be the blame for AL's violence. How could she be held accountable for something she did NOT know about her son?

Yeah, if the co-author is NOT NL, then NL would definitely NOT be the blame for AL's violence. How could she be held accountable for something she did NOT know about her son?

He lived under her roof and was completely dependent on her for everything. Shouldn't she have known a lot about him? As his mother?

There are severely mentally ill people who need constant, around-the-clock supervision and institutionalization for those people should be mandated. The problem is that, as with anything, there are those bad apples who would abuse the "commitment of mentally ill to psych facilities" and take advantage of a mentally ill victim with the institutionalization measures by exaggerating a person's psychiatric issues, and over-institutionalization of *non-dangerous* people then results. E.g., scorned lovers/spouses trying to get back at their exes.

There definitely needs be a better and more accurate, comprehensive screening system in place for institutionalizing mentally ill people who present a danger to themselves and others.

When I lived in Jacksonville, Florida, I worked at a group home for dually-diagnosed (mental retardation and mental illness) men. One of them had actually murdered someone by stabbing them to death, and there he was living in a VERY nice neighborhood with people who had no idea. He was free to come and go as he pleased, used to take walks around the neighborhood or go up to the store. The only feeling he expressed about the murder was that he was upset because they got his age wrong in the newspaper reports about it.

The second author was a minor child of 10 years old (or so, since they were in fifth grade) during the time of book creation. Who apparently haven't committed any crimes. As such it would be irresponsible to release his name and link him to Adam Lanza.

How old was Adam when the book was created? He may have been crazy but he was obviously intelligent and rather witty too.

He lived under her roof and was completely dependent on her for everything. Shouldn't she have known a lot about him? As his mother?

I read he had only communicated to her through email for months prior to the shooting and yet she wrote a check so he could buy a new rifle?

I read he had only communicated to her through email for months prior to the shooting and yet she wrote a check so he could buy a new rifle?

Yes, her Christmas present to him was going to be yet another gun.

Wow! That was going to be her X-mas present to AL?

It sounds like either she was in complete denial of the gravity of the situation OR NL was doing whatever it took to keep some form of interest/communication going with him.

AL sounds like he had control over her in a passive/aggressive way. In a covert type of way.....

Have not been here much of late but I did look at the pictures that were recently released and when I saw the plastic over the windows I assumed that was from LE using luminol.....then it hit me....there was no blood in AL's room....so he apparently had covered the windows himself...why? Did not want to see daylight?????

OMG. Such a disturbing crime. I simply cannot wrap my head around why some of his actions were not realized as dangerous prior to this crime. His mother is a victim so I shall respect that and keep my biggest questions to myself I suppose.

IMO.

Have not been here much of late but I did look at the pictures that were recently released and when I saw the plastic over the windows I assumed that was from LE using luminol.....then it hit me....there was no blood in AL's room....so he apparently had covered the windows himself...why? Did not want to see daylight?????

OMG. Such a disturbing crime. I simply cannot wrap my head around why some of his actions were not realized as dangerous prior to this crime. His mother is a victim so I shall respect that and keep my biggest questions to myself I suppose.

IMO.

Paranoid schizophrenics or severe drug addicts will do this too.
I've seen it with both types, it's rather unnerving. Most people will buy nice blackout drapes.

Yeah that is seriously messed up. If she wasn't dead she would likely be facing charges.

Wow, that is absurd. Cite the law that states that the mother/parent of an adult who committed a crime/murder should face charges.

Name one single case wherein a parent has been charged with crimes for an adult child's infractions. This doesn't even happen with parents of *child murderers/criminals*. So why would they charge a parent of an *adult* murderer/criminal?

I can see the family of victims suing the family of a murderer for wrongful death, but charging a parent of a criminal for crimes the adult child committed? That makes ZERO SENSE.

IMO.

Yes, it's called denial.

When I lived in Jacksonville, Florida, I worked at a group home for dually-diagnosed (mental retardation and mental illness) men. One of them had actually murdered someone by stabbing them to death, and there he was living in a VERY nice neighborhood with people who had no idea. He was free to come and go as he pleased, used to take walks around the neighborhood or go up to the store. The only feeling he expressed about the murder was that he was upset because they got his age wrong in the newspaper reports about it.

Yes, some mentally ill are easily offended, paranoid and off-their-rockers and *snap* for apparently no real reason. Some so-called "normal" people do the same...as in those who suddenly *snap* and murder their partners out of *jealousy/passion*.

:waitasec: So are you saying that any adult who takes care of an adult like AL, financing his life, feeding him, giving him clothes, etc. should be held accountable for that other adult's conduct and behaviors, despite the fact that the care-receiving adult clearly understands right and wrong?

What exactly is your point? It is evident that we disagree about NL's culpability in AL's mass shooting. What would you have had NL do? She couldn't get him committed for psych care because of the laws. She can't get him arrested because he had not done anything wrong yet...

Seriously, what would you have had NL do???

Wow, that is absurd. Cite the law that states that the mother/parent of an adult who committed a crime/murder should face charges.

Uhhh....any adult that willfully supplies high capacity semi-automatic rifles to their obviously mentally disturbed children SHOULD be charged.

Seriously? The kid in her own house communicated only through email for months? The obviously "not right" in the head kid? And she buys him rifles and allows him access to her gun safe???

Yes. I am sure a law on the books would cover this situation, and if there is not a law on the books there should be. Covering and excusing severe mental illness while providing ready access to firearms and actually PAYING for them to purchase firearms is messed up to an extreme. I can't believe anyone would even argue the point (though I can guess why a person might get offended and argue the point).

:waitasec: So are you saying that any adult who takes care of an adult like AL, financing his life, feeding him, giving him clothes, etc. should be held accountable for that other adult's conduct and behaviors, despite the fact that the care-receiving adult clearly understands right and wrong?

What exactly is your point? It is evident that we disagree about NL's culpability in AL's mass shooting. What would you have had NL do? She couldn't get him committed for psych care because of the laws. She can't get him arrested because he had not done anything wrong yet...

Seriously, what would you have had NL do???

Not purchase a whole bunch of weapons and not train her mentally ill son how to use them, for a start.

NL had been dealing with AL's condition all his life. There is nothing to suggest that he ever showed any outward violent tendencies. His other behavior characteristics, that might point to signs in another child, were normal for his condition.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/tc/aspergers-syndrome-topic-overview

I've picked out some of the possible symptoms below:

Have a very hard time relating to others. It doesn't mean that they avoid social contact. But they lack instincts and skills to help them express their thoughts and feelings and notice others feelings.
Like fixed routines. Change is hard for them.

May have only one or a few interests, or they may focus intensely on a few things. For instance, they may show an unusual interest in snakes or star names or may draw very detailed pictures.

Guns, computers, video games appear to have been his interests. I definitely don't approve of the shared interest in guns in AL's case, but in the mind of his mother, as others have mentioned, it may have been one of the only ways she found to bond with him and try to get him in a social situation. Since he showed no signs of violence, it obviously wasn't a concern to her, or anyone else for that matter, that he would ever do anything like this.

May be bothered by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes or textures.

If he was sensitive to light, bags on the window would be easily attributed to his condition. His eating habits would also.

Also:

Many children with Asperger's syndrome also have coexisting conditions and may have symptoms of these conditions also. They include:

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Anxiety disorder.
Depression, especially in adolescents.
Nonverbal learning disorder.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
Social anxiety disorder.

I've picked out some of the general strategies below:

Children with Asperger's syndrome benefit from daily routines for meals, homework, and bedtime. They also like specific rules, and consistent expectations mean less stress and confusion for them.

NL's catering to AL's eating habits and other things that she did were ways to alleviate stress and confusion.

Be aware that background noises, such as a clock ticking or the hum of fluorescent lighting, may be distracting to your child.

Try to identify stress triggers and avoid them if possible. Prepare your child in advance for difficult situations, and teach him or her ways to cope. For example, teach your child coping skills for dealing with change or new situations.

It says to avoid stress triggers if possible. Adam was now an adult. He didn't want her in his room could be equal to a stress trigger she could avoid. I don't know how she could have forced him to take medication that may have helped his condition. It is stated she was planning on moving so AL could go to school or get a job working on computers. She would have to of slowly worked with him on this idea, because of his resistance or anxiety to change. Some of the things that others may do with a child, the experts may recommend not to do with a child that has his conditions. In addition his behavior could be all explained by his conditions. So, no obvious red flags are present.

In hindsight:

No one should leave easy access to guns in the home.

Maybe his family should have put him in a group home or something. I don't know what the procedure is to accomplish this with a adult child. I don't know how you force a adult child with mental illnesses to do anything. As far as anyone knows, he was quietly minding his own business in the basement. She was thinking and working on plans to move forward for his future. What would the experts say to do with him?

Should she have had more support? Sure she should have, but I don't know who she was consulting with, if anyone and what they may have been telling her. Avoiding stresses and slowly working toward change (the move) may have been her plan to get him out of the basement and on with his life.

I don't know. This is tough because he had a condition all his life that could easily explain his behavior, up until his final act.

Here is a article about another school shooter. The doctor interviewed in the article talks about some things she sees in common with school shooters. Maybe a few of her comments can add some insight into what could have been going on in his mind.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/7288381/#.UptxrMRDulI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members