Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to let everyone know they removed the picture and reference to the uncle in that article. Deleted it all.

Someone needs to tell the Republic American to remove the video as well as WTNH.

oh! I was thinking they meant the person lost was a parent and a child.

huh?? :waitasec:

I read it as... he visited two families and one of them (a family) lost both a parent and a child. So AL's family would fit... unless I'm confused (which isn't a stretch sometimes!)

:waitasec: hmm I didn't catch that.
I just want to know that the parents of the victim's were
visited and told in private...

It sounded like parents all rushed to the school when they heard of the shooting. News travels fast in Close knit communities, so I imagine alot were at the scene before anyone could address this tragic news to them.

Agreed. Sadly some like Ms. Long will face this when her son is an adult or when he is "stronger" than her. That is the question none of us can answer how do we deal with these issues? We can't "lock" them up and we can't make them take their meds. I think sadly this has no real solutions.

You deal with a violent person by calling the police even if this person is your child.

The police can lock them up and make them take their meds if they are sent to juvi or jail. Once they are medicated/sedated at the jail and they are not experiencing extreme impulse control problems/rage/delusions/hallucinations, it becomes much easier to medicate them every day.

You deal with a violent person by calling the police even if this person is your child.

The police can lock them up and make them take their meds if they are sent to juvi or jail. Once they are medicated/sedated at the jail and they are not experiencing extreme impulse control problems/rage/delusions/hallucinations, it becomes much easier to medicate them every day.

I'm so sorry, my friend felt like he was "cured" one day and then the next he felt like he was a "zombie". It did not in his case become easier to medicate. He ended his life because he could not live on the meds nor off the meds. I so wish you were correct and maybe you are in most cases, but in my friends case it did not become easier to medicate him in any way.

If Obama visited the families of victims, then he met with Lanza family also..IMO

huh?? :waitasec:

I read it as... he visited two families and one of them (a family) lost both a parent and a child. So AL's family would fit... unless I'm confused (which isn't a stretch sometimes!)

OH sorry I just meant I read it as the family lost a parent and a child- for example the principal was someone's parent and someone's child- so that family lost a parent and a child.
I am only saying that is how I read it not that it is accurate!

And if they show no violence to themselves or others? Until it's too late.....?
Educating family members about the "red flags" of upcoming psychosis/mania/suicide/and etc... can reduce the numbers of "too lates".
Patients must have knowledgeable and observant people watching their behavior for this to occur though.

Caretakers must have immediate access to mental health providers who can change the patient's medications when "red flags" are observed. This unfortunately cannot be a reality in America when there is a shortage of psychiatrists and a severe shortage of primary care docs that are willing to appropriately medicate the mentally ill.

OH sorry I just meant I read it as the family lost a parent and a child- for example the principal was someone's parent and someone's child- so that family lost a parent and a child.
I am only saying that is how I read it not that it is accurate!

Gotcha!

I'm so sorry, my friend felt like he was "cured" one day and then the next he felt like he was a "zombie". It did not in his case become easier to medicate. He ended his life because he could not live on the meds nor off the meds. I so wish you were correct and maybe you are in most cases, but in my friends case it did not become easier to medicate him in any way.

Yes, that is a common complaint with patients who are noncompliant with their medications and especially bipolar patients (who have almost a 20% likelihood of committing suicide). Caretakers also frequently refuse to medicate their mentally ill loved ones because antipsychotic medications "alter" all areas of their loved one's personality. There is not a magic medicine YET that sedates/calms only the angry, violent , or irrational impulses. Such medications have other effects. These important meds can make patients sleepy, have slurred speech, feel jittery, have difficulty in concentration, have a less exuberant personality, gain weight, and etc....

Reminder
NO airtime to the protesting group that surfaces from time to time.
Also be sure to take any gun control discussion to the appropriate thread.
Thanks.

:).....

My question still stands...what do you do when they refuse to take the meds? I have first hand experience with this. My friend on meds felt like he was "cured" and then sometimes he felt like he was "non-emotional therfore not a person". He decided to end it, thankfully he took no one else with him.

How do we medicate one who doesn't want to be medicated?

Maybe this helps you...And I'm so sorry you had to go through the death of your friend

A Power of Attorney -- at least in Ohio-- fully encompassing all aspects of the patient's life will give the guardian POA the ability to do whatever is necessary to make sure meds are taken

This means a POA can administer the meds or hire someone to administer the meds if necessary for an unwilling patient

If a patient is totally unwilling to take their meds, then legally the POA can use tactics, ie, institutionalizing a patient or take away some freedoms, etc

Fortunately for us it was'nt so dire as your situtation, we controlled our brother's money, so cigarettes, entertainment, going out, etc was the motivation for taking his meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member