Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gunman’s behavior indicates planning and control: Ex-FBI profiler

NEWTOWN, Conn.—In stockpiling ammunition, smashing his computers and killing his mother as she slept, XXXXXXXX undertook considerable preparation before shooting up an elementary school on Friday, a former FBI profiler said.

"He didn't just snap. This takes a lot of planning," said Mary Ellen O'Toole, who worked for 15 years in the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit where she studied psychopaths and helped capture killers.

O'Toole retired in 2009 and has no direct connection to the case.

"I have not seen a case with callousness of this extreme," O'Toole said of XXXXX's shooting rampage. "It's off the charts."

Multiple reports have painted XXXXXX, who lived alone with his divorced mother, as being socially awkward but very intelligent, especially when it came to computers.

O'Toole said the way XXXXX carried out his killings suggested a high measure of control, including damaging the computers.

"His computers were very important him. They were a window to his world," O'Toole told Yahoo News. "He didn't want them to survive. He knew that they would give insight into him and didn't want people to have it."

"It's time we stop putting out the mental health issue as an excuse that he didn't know what he was doing," she said.

Shooting his mother while she slept and preloading numerous rounds of ammunition into the gun clips signals that XXXXX was on a mission, O'Toole said.

"He wanted to accomplish maximum lethality," O'Toole said. "He was not out of touch with reality. I think he put some security measures in place so he wouldn't be stopped."

Which unfortunately meant choosing the most helpless of victims, she added.

"If you pick older people you are going to have some blowback," O'Toole said. "He didn't want people to interfere. When people take security measures like that, you know what you are doing is wrong."

Redacted and bolded by me.

Thank you so much for this. There is no excuse. There are plenty of people with mental illness, millions, all across the world who would never do a thing like this. Unless a person is in a the throes of a serious psychotic episode, they know right from wrong and even most people in the middle of a serious psychotic episode know right from wrong.

But a person exhibiting this level of planning and control, they are not psychotic. Oh no. They are frustrated, rage-filled, vengeful, mean-spirited, entitled, cowardly, tantruming bastards. No excuse, no lack of reality, no inability to understand right from wrong. That's the "reason" for this. Not mental illness, unless we determine that every act of evil - pedophilic assaults, serial killing, domestic violence, child abuse - stems from mental illness.

BTW, thank you to all the posters who are posting lovely tributes to the little lives that were snatched from us last Friday. I come here for that reason.

Finally, there's no picture of little Madeleine Hsu that I have found. Has anyone found one? I'd like to remember her little face.

Never mind, I just found one:
8A-2012-12-18-madeleine-hsu-People.jpg

Another beautiful, beautiful child.
To Hsu family neighbor Karen Dryer, Madeleine was known as Maddy and was the little girl who wore bright, flowery dresses that matched her personality, and shared a ride to school with her 5-year-old son, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Dryer, in earlier reports, described Madeleine as a "very upbeat and kind” girl.

“She was a sweet, beautiful little girl,” Dryer told the newspaper.

“A beautiful little soul who was very loved, full of life and I know will be missed dearly by all who knew her,” was one of the comments written Saturday evening by Christen Buchert.

Judi Muir wrote Monday, “She is such a beautiful granddaughter and now a beautiful angel.”

People magazine reported that at night, she shared a bed with her two sisters. "They had their own rooms," a family friend told the magazine, "but they slept in the same room because they wanted to be together. … She was a gorgeous, gorgeous little girl."
http://www.registercitizen.com/articles/2012/12/17/news/doc50cfc5dc0bf45451693005.txt

I know zero about gaming but I looked up in google the Alchemy Community (World of Warcraft) and found that in playing these games you have either a profession or you have to reach a profession. Well two of the professions are engineering and cooking. Havent we heard out in the news from some who "knew" him that he wanted to be an engineer and his mom was teaching him how to cook? Any of you gamers know how you reach these professions in the game? I have no point I just find coincidence odd.

From a public saftey standpoint moving forward this would seem to be very reasonable. Or if they do refuse it is entered into some data base that could be accessed by the police, & not hidden away forever. There is the big hurdle of privacy of information.

We need to revamp the privacy laws to improve public safety of the children involved. A school psychologist is in a position to recognize a child needing mental health services and that child should be monitored for his own safety if he is home-schooled just as he's monitored in public schools. There was a case of a young boy a few years ago in Denver. His step-father withdrew him from school and spent the next few months torturing the child to death and he died in a closet.

JMO

I would also think his gaming consoles (if he was the avid gamer that he is being reported to be) would help too. Serious Gamers wear their gamer IDs proudly and often reuse them as usernames online.

NL's electronic devices, if any may provide clues.

I agree with you. These kids have endured so much pain. They are frightened and some nutcase continues to frighten them. The children are probably thinking no matter what school they go to they are not safe. I say let them stay home and relax and with family and try to enjoy the best they can under these sad circumstances.

There needs to be a criminal code charge for such actions. This is much much more than just a simple threats charge. Plus they can bill the offender for the cost of the police response.

We need to revamp the privacy laws to improve public safety of the children involved. A school psychologist is in a position to recognize a child needing mental health services and that child should be monitored for his own safety if he is home-schooled just as he's monitored in public schools. There was a case of a young boy a few years ago in Denver. His step-father withdrew him from school and spent the next few months torturing the child to death and he died in a closet.

JMO
ITA, Where do we start?

Classmate remembers Adam Lanza attending Sandy Hook
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2012/12/18/adam-lanza-sandy-hook-student/1777525/

Despite denials from relatives who said Adam Lanza never attended Sandy Hook Elementary School, Lanza apparently attended the school in fifth grade in fall 2002.

The signatures of Lanza and his fifth-grade classmates are on a Sandy Hook Elementary T-shirt made by the school and given to each student. Lanza and other fifth-graders attended the school in fall 2002 before moving in January 2003 to a newly built Reed Intermediate School for fifth- and sixth-graders.

Lanza "kept to himself, and everyone left him alone," Lynch says. "I can never recall him getting bullied."

Looks like Lanza did attend Sandy Hook Elementary School in 5th grade before all the 5th graders were transferred to a new school. There is a connection.

I know zero about gaming but I looked up in google the Alchemy Community (World of Warcraft) and found that in playing these games you have either a profession or you have to reach a profession. Well two of the professions are engineering and cooking. Havent we heard out in the news from some who "knew" him that he wanted to be an engineer and his mom was teaching him how to cook? Any of you gamers know how you reach these professions in the game? I have no point I just find coincidence odd.

I ask because I found an online profile for a gamer and the avitar is female. I'm looking around but I don't know enough about the game to know where to look at the profile. Am wondering out loud if maybe NL played too maybe to bond with AL. I say that only because I played hours of Mario Bro's when my son was young.

Classmate remembers Adam Lanza attending Sandy Hook
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2012/12/18/adam-lanza-sandy-hook-student/1777525/

Despite denials from relatives who said Adam Lanza never attended Sandy Hook Elementary School, Lanza apparently attended the school in fifth grade in fall 2002.

The signatures of Lanza and his fifth-grade classmates are on a Sandy Hook Elementary T-shirt made by the school and given to each student. Lanza and other fifth-graders attended the school in fall 2002 before moving in January 2003 to a newly built Reed Intermediate School for fifth- and sixth-graders.

Lanza "kept to himself, and everyone left him alone," Lynch says. "I can never recall him getting bullied."

Looks like Lanza did attend Sandy Hook Elementary School in 5th grade before all the 5th graders were transferred to a new school.

Appears they moved in the area in 1998 and that mom and dad seemed to be living apart by 2001 although dad saw him every week. Would be interesting to know, but it sounded like mom and dad never really got back together and divorced finally in 2008. Also, curious is that several articles say that Nancy Lanza hadn't had a job recently, but that recently may have been right before they moved in 1998.

"When she and then-husband Peter Lanza moved to the town in 1998 from southern New Hampshire, they bought a new colonial on more than 2 acres in the Bennett's Farm neighborhood. Nancy Lanza had previously worked as a stock broker at John Hancock in Boston and her husband was a successful executive."

His former grandmother said she remembered Adam as a young child but didn’t know him as a teenager. His parents had separated “years” before they divorced, she said.

Her ex-husband, who died in 2010, was a widower when she met him, with children and grandchildren of his own. They married in the 1990s and divorced in 2001, she said.
http://www.courant.com/news/connect...own-nancy-lanza-1215-20121216,0,1633415.story
http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/201...ut-family-of-suspected-newtown-school-gunman/

Perhaps he was delusional enough to believe doomsday is looming and he wanted to go with happy children.

I was just now thinking about this when I saw your post. Maybe he thought he was "saving" them all from the end of the world? I hadn't thought of him wanting happy children with him, who knows? JMO MOO

I don't believe Adam had his own source of money. His mother did all the purchasing, imo.

It will be interesting to know if he had a credit card in his name that Nancy paid for. Not trying to be mean, but a lot of the well-to-do kids I went to school with always had credit cards that their parents paid for. Especially college aged students. Sometimes even High School. Maybe she had set him up with his own debit account and gave him a monthly allowance? Who knows?

I also am very curious why he had Ryan's ID. What was he trying to do to his brother?

I've given a lot of thought as to him holding his brother's ID. I've come to believe that he really wanted all of this to be "pinned" on his brother and by him carrying that ID knew that LE would search his pockets, see that ID and immediately assume it was his brother. That would cause even more emotional damage. He knew that. Look at how we were all like "HUH?" wait, what's his name? The media ran with it - everything. That was terrible - I couldn't imagine that happening to me. But, yea, I believe that he wanted everyone to think it was his brother although he knew it would eventually come out.

JMHO

Stumbled upon this just surfing the Internet. Now a few websites that I saw this on are some "conspiracy theory" type sites, so I decided to search for just the actual map that I guess you could order before the movie came out? Anyways, what I'm talking about is a special map of the attack zones of Bane in the movie The Dark Knight Rises that I guess you could order and I think it came with a t-shirt too. I haven't done much reading or research on this, so if it needs to be deleted I'll understand. I just thought it was very eerie in light of the recent tragedy. Let me know if you guys saw what I saw and what you think of this "coincidence". Again, I understand if this needs to be deleted at any time. Here's one link:

http://www.ugo.com/movies/the-dark-knight-rises-viral-package

I've given a lot of thought as to him holding his brother's ID. I've come to believe that he really wanted all of this to be "pinned" on his brother and by him carrying that ID knew that LE would search his pockets, see that ID and immediately assume it was his brother. That would cause even more emotional damage. He knew that. Look at how we were all like "HUH?" wait, what's his name? The media ran with it - everything. That was terrible - I couldn't imagine that happening to me. But, yea, I believe that he wanted everyone to think it was his brother although he knew it would eventually come out.

JMHO

It was reported early on that AL had tried to buy a gun and if what I heard just a bit ago he tried to buy a gun twice. I wondered if he tried using brothers ID for that. idk jmo

again in catch up mode so am sorry for this likely landing amidst other discussion.. I now am curious as to why Nancy never allowed anyone in their home?..not even to step in for a brief moment, nor to look inside..in all the years of her playing bunco she never once hosted the game night at her home..every time her turn came around, she passed...for years and years...its a huge beautiful home and she went to the trouble of hiring people to help decorate elaborate outdoor Christmas decorations..so why the extremely careful to allow no one inside, not even a peek from her opening the door to someone knocking..rather she would go all the way around and come out the side door of the home and walk around to greet whomever was at the door knocking for a delivery or such..so as to ensure no one had any glimpses of the inside of the home..??

Number one:
Let's assume that a school is Locked Down.
What about the playground?
Would the whole school have to be enclosed in a gated type fortress?
Number two:
When a person shoots windows out, can windows be made of shatterproof glass?
I have heard that some people would like teachers to be armed with guns?
My idea is instead to arm them with Stun guns the type that throws a long wire and dart type contact end.

Number three:
The news reports were willy nilly and were non-factual. I was confused and had no true facts known to me when trying to get the answers to questions.

Number four:
Right now I am concerned with ways to help the families of the victims.A lot of them are still in shock, and will be angry and will need support from caring people.
Also they do have every right to be angry and all the other feeling they need to go through during this rough time.

Number Five:
Killing has become a sport.
Children mostly are the targets.
Lots of people are targets for many people who prey on them.
Number Six;
If a person makes any type of threats they really should be turned in to Police for that.
Not sure there ever will be a way to head off these Surprise killings.
People need to watch their backs and be alert at all times.
:sweep:

if only we could sweep the world of bad people who continue doing bad things...:praying:

How the heck did she travel to all of those places???

"travel a lot, spend time with friends, work with a couple of charities. Low key life and very happy.
A little bit of everywhere... Boston, New York, Maine, Toronto, London, San Francisco, Nantucket, Charlotte, Baltimore...that covers this year : )"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...overing-dark-family-secret.html#ixzz2FRKXsJUm
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members