Coronation of King Charles III - 6 May 2023

1715865392045.png
'' It was reported that after looking at the painting, Queen Camilla told the British artist Jonathan Yeo: “Yes, you’ve got him.”

'' Philip Mould, an art dealer, gallery owner and co-presenter of the BBC television programme Fake or Fortune? hailed the painting as “the most progressive royal portrait done from life in a very long time”. He added that “it depicts continuity, mystery, a touch of divinity. It’s very different from the normal public offerings, but Johnny has done it in my view. How do you paint a modern monarch? He’s pulled it off.”

It resembles another modern portrait by
Justin Mortimer

"The Queen"

1715867242146.png

"The Queen
is a 1997 portrait by the English painter Justin Mortimer of Queen Elizabeth II.

The portrait was commissioned by the Royal Society of the Arts to mark their 50th anniversary of association with the Queen,
and hangs in their headquarters.

It was officially unveiled in May 1998.

The portrait was initially displayed to the public for five days in January 1998 at the Business Design Centre in Islington, north London."

Last edited:
It resembles another modern portrait by
Justin Mortimer

"The Queen"

View attachment 503909

"The Queen
is a 1997 portrait by the English painter Justin Mortimer of Queen Elizabeth II.

The portrait was commissioned by the Royal Society of the Arts to mark their 50th anniversary of association with the Queen,
and hangs in their headquarters.

It was officially unveiled in May 1998.

The portrait was initially displayed to the public for five days in January 1998 at the Business Design Centre in Islington, north London."

I don't care for this portrait either!

Have you noticed the butterfly on King's shoulder?

1715889049552.png

"According to Yeo,
the butterfly located above Charles' shoulder in the painting represents his transformation as a king.

When I started this project,
His Majesty the King was still His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales,
and like the butterfly that hovers over his shoulder,
this portrait has evolved as the role of the subject in our public life has changed,

the artist emphasized.

I am unimaginably grateful for
the opportunity to capture such an extraordinary and unique person,
especially at the historic moment of assuming royal power,

he noted."

"The monarch was immortalized in the painting with a butterfly to capture his

'metamorphosis from Prince to King'.

Charles even joked that it's good to know that
'he's a chrysalis'.

The painting was commissioned from Jonathan Yeo in 2020 to celebrate the then Prince of Wales' 50th anniversary as a member of The Drapers' Company."

Even in my country the portrait is widely commented.

:D

Above quotes are from my country's MSM:

Last edited:
The same artist
Jonathan Yeo

1715895854784.png

"A portrait by Jonathan Yeo
of Queen Camilla in 2014 when she was Duchess of Cornwall."

1715895930780.png

"A portrait released by Jonathan Yeo in 2008 of
Prince Philip, who died in April 2021"

1715896101980.png

The same artist
Jonathan Yeo

View attachment 504028

View attachment 504030

View attachment 504032

Wow... I think the painting itself is good. It's unique and it looks like the King so there's that. I do find for an official portrait, I don't like it. It's like his head and hands are coming out of the background and he doesn't stand out at all from the background either. It's rather busy.. my eyes are looking all over when I think of an official portrait, I think of the person being the focus.

My partner hates the portrait (he might be more valid, he lives in London) but I love it! I totally see why people wouldn’t care for it, but I found myself really captivated by it. I am a sucker for crimsons.

My partner hates the portrait (he might be more valid, he lives in London) but I love it! I totally see why people wouldn’t care for it, but I found myself really captivated by it. I am a sucker for crimsons.

Red is the colour of:
Royalty, Passion, Turbulence...

He is the King in turbulent times -
both at home/family and in the world.

And yet,
he is emerging from this turbulence with serene face and a butterfly on his shoulder :D

The same artist
Jonathan Yeo

View attachment 504028

View attachment 504030

View attachment 504032

I really like the top two portraits, just not the red one.

What would you think of the portrait if it were exactly the same, but the red was, say blue? or some other color? Is it the REDness that is problematic?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173
Back