Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I have seen happening now, in the United States is that unvaccinated employees have paperwork for religious beliefs or disability exemptions. Then, they request full time telework as an "accommodation".

Well, now, isn't that special?! Don't get me started...

Nope, no work from home available, just come to work for 8 hours wearing a medical grade mask and sit in the closet to eat and drink, oh, and shut the door.
man-hiding-closet-600w-135852449.jpg

Man Hiding Closet Stock Photo

Last edited:
Studies needed into the long term effectiveness of mRNA vaccines as opposed to AstraZeneca .... essentially, Pfizer gets rid of the body's instruction on how to fight the virus, AZ teaches the body how to fight the virus.

The Pfizer vaccine uses genetically engineered messenger RNA, which instructs the body’s cells to make proteins found on the surface of the COVID-19 virus. That prompts a response from the immune system. The cells also break down the instructions and get rid of them, which Dr. Walker said could explain why the effectiveness fades.

The AstraZeneca vaccine uses genetic material from the COVID-19 virus and puts it in a harmless virus. Once injected, the viral vector teaches the body’s cells how to make the COVID-19 proteins, which trigger the immune system.

“These vaccines are just doing very different things,” she said. “They may be having the same protection overall, but how they are getting to that protection is quite different and we need to think about that long term.”

Fully vaccinated people still have high potential of spreading COVID-19 Delta variant, British study says

In the body, DNA is used to make mRNA, which is then translated into the protein.
Vaccines like AstraZeneca or J&J are based on adenovirus, which consists of DNA, and then that DNA is used to make mRNA, and then that mRNA is translated into the protein.
Pfizer and Moderna are already made of mRNA, so the step of making mRNA based on DNA is eliminated.
So Pfizer is the next step from AstraZeneca on protein making process.
The end product ends up being the same for both Pfizer and AstraZeneca-spike protein. Which is then used to provoke a response from an immune system. Novavax is the last step of the protein making process, so the two previous steps (transcription, or making mRNA based on DNA, and translation (making of protein based on mRNA are eliminated)). But the end goal is the same-expose immune system to the spike protein, so it knows what to look for if infected with covid. So all of the vaccines are used to help the immune system how to fight the virus if eventually exposed to it.

Last edited:
In the body, DNA is used to make mRNA, which is then translated into the protein.
Vaccines like AstraZeneca or J&J are based on adenovirus, which consists of DNA, and then that DNA is used to make mRNA, and then that mRNA is translated into the protein.
Pfizer and Moderna are already made of mRNA, so the step of making mRNA based on DNA is eliminated.
The end product ends up being the same for both Pfizer and AstraZeneca-spike protein. Which is then used to provoke a response from an immune system.

It is Sarah Walker, a professor of medical statistics and epidemiology at the University of Oxford. who says that the cells get rid of the Pfizer instruction of how to fight the virus, over time. Which she says may explain Pfizer's waning effectiveness, as seen in Israel.

Presumably she must have some research or data to back that up, and it is not a guess on her part.

It is Sarah Walker, a professor of medical statistics and epidemiology at the University of Oxford. who says that the cells get rid of the Pfizer instruction of how to fight the virus, over time. Which she says may explain Pfizer's waning effectiveness, as seen in Israel.

Presumably she must have some research or data to back that up, and it is not a guess on her part.
She means that mRNA is degraded (instructions on how to make the protein are mRNA in this case). mRNA will be eventually degraded once it enters the body. Before it degraded, its used to make spike protein (mRNA is translated into the spike protein). Spike protein is what helps the immune system to prepare for covid infection.
mRNA is not very stable (which is why Pfizer has to be frozen at ultra cold temperatures even before injection). So its not going to last long in the body. The goal of the mRNA is to make spike protein. It's the goal of all current vaccines.

I guess I'm about to find out just how well my double shot of Moderna holds up.
I'm down at my little sailboat, in a marina.
The bathrooms here have no windows and zero ventalation.
I used them at least 5 times, as well as the box store Target.

It's a holiday here. Many people out and about.
Yes, bathrooms were very busy.

I surely hope that I do not get sick!
If I do, not only am I going to be angry, but, I will question everything that my government has told me for close to two years.

If I do, not only am I going to be angry, but, I will question everything that my government has told me for close to two years.
Your 'government' has only told you what the rest of the world's government health agencies have told their citizens.

Nobody is promising that you won't get covid, but since you've been vaccinated, you most likely won't end up so sick that you need hospitalization.

A dear friend of mind tested positive two weeks ago. He had no symptoms and was only tested because his youngest son had symptoms and tested positive. The child was the only one in the family who was unvaccinated, and the only one with symptoms. The dad was the only other person to test positive in the family of six. They are convinced of the power of the vaccine.

Keep wearing your mask, avoid crowds and wash your hands often. That message hasn't changed for ages.

Aren’t the bathrooms only for owners at the marina? I’d talk to the marina staff if there is that many people using those bathrooms, they should step up cleaning protocols for a known holiday weekend.

Hopefully the crowds won’t be too bad and there will be some solitude for you to enjoy on your sailboat.

Last edited:
BBM

@KALI with all due respect, I don’t understand why you getting sick despite being vaccinated would cause you to get angry and question everything the government has told you for almost two years.

Consider these facts:
1) Covid-19 is a “novel [new] coronavirus,” so scientists and the government have had a steep learning curve and have not been able to predict every twist and turn on that learning curve. They are still learning. There will be changes as we go along.

2) Your vaccine was designed for the original virus before variants became more common. We are extremely fortunate thy\e scientists were able to develop the vaccines so quickly because of years of prior research. But it was never intended to prevent you from getting Covid-19.

3) Now we are dealing with the highly contagious Delta variant. There was no way to predict exactly how these different variants would behave.

4) The vaccine has been shown to reduce the severity of break-through cases and the risk of hospitalization.

5) But masks, social distancing and washing your hands are all part of protecting yourself. The government has been telling us this almost from the beginning.

If you get sick, getting angry or questioning everything the government has said is pointless and bad for your health, physical and mental. Be grateful that you were smart enough to get vaccinated and that the vaccine will most likely keep you out of the hospital if you get sick. And enjoy your time on your boat. :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the link.

I have found data and news articles, that do in fact support the fact that IF a vaccinated person does become infected they MAY carry viral RNA in their nose, and may POSSIBLY transmit the virus to others. However, my research and links do not support the notion that vaccinated individuals "can catch and spread the virus exactly the same" as an unvaccinated individual.

Links:
Effectiveness of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna Vaccines in...

Fully vaccinated people might not be as contagious as you think

COVID transmission among vaccinated, unvaccinated. What experts say.

Risks of the Delta Variant for Vaccinated vs. Unvaccinated People

I know this may come across as being overly pedantic, but I think it's really important to have accurate information, particularly about the risk of spread from vaccinated individuals, which I have already seen being used to denigrate vaccines against Covid 19. JMO ;)

Thanks CrimeAway. ITA we need accurate information which is what I always strive to provide. As I'm sure you would agree, there is a multitude of conflicting information regarding Covid.

Below is a quote from a recent research paper (not yet formally peer reviewed) however I feel it offers a good explanation on why Delta is able to evade the vaccine.

"The Delta variant is highly contagious and breakthrough infection to fully vaccinated individuals is often observed (Lopez Bernal et al., 2021), suggesting that neutralizing antibodies in fully vaccinated individuals are not sufficient to protect against infection by the Delta variant. Anti-RBD antibodies are thought to play a major role in protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection. The Delta variant has L452R and T478K mutations in the RBD, and L452 has been shown to be an epitope for some neutralizing antibodies (McCallum et al., 2021; Wang et al., 2021b). However, most neutralizing antibodies bound to the Delta RBD and neutralized the infection. Therefore, mutations in the RBD alone may not explain the decreased neutralizing titers of the BNT162b2-immune sera against the Delta variant."

In basic terms, the spike protein in Delta has mutations that affect at least one epitope (where the neutralizing antibodies would normally bind to) compared to wild type spike of the Wuhan strain which the vaccines were manufactured against.
In contrast natural infection creates neutralizing antibodies against all five proteins of the virus in addition to T Cell immunity.
This explains why the boosters will have spike proteins with different receptor binding domains but will that cause an even greater risk of antibody dependent enhancement? No one knows.

The SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant is poised to acquire complete resistance to wild-type spike vaccines

Hopefully, you'll stay well. I just read that the CDC says 83% of Americans over 16 have some immunity to covid now. That's encouraging.

Still, there are concerns about waning vaccine immunity and the delta variant that's more dangerous to children.

I sure hope we're on the downhill side of this thing, but I think we need a plan to protect us from future pandemics.

Covid: Will I need a jab and what will university be like this term?

Glad to see we have some plans in place for Uni students returning. Also coincides with vaccine passports being required for nightclubs etc at the end of this month. Less happy to see on social media the number of students going straight from festivals to Unis :rolleyes:.

There's a low rumble here about the October break for schools, aka autumn half term week, being expanded to two weeks. A circuit breaker, to help with the rise in cases anticipated.

This is how NSW intends their residents to display proof of vaccination for venues (due to start when they hit 70% fully vaccinated - which they hope will be by mid-October).

Fully vaccinated NSW residents will be able to use a quick flash of an app to gain special entry to venues once the state starts reopening

The MyGov and Medicare apps already have that function. But the state government is also working on boosting its Services NSW app for a one-click approach. Ms Berejiklian said its aim was to be a “one-stop shop” on people’s phones.

“The system NSW is developing means when you check into a cafe or a restaurant your QR code will show your vaccination status and the check-in capacity in the one app,” she said.

Customer Services Minister Victor Dominello has shared a sneak peek at what the updated app would look like.
It shows a user signed in to a cafe, with a green tick next to their name and the word “vaccinated” in green.

'One-stop shop' to shake up check-ins as NSW pubs, restaurants reopen

Daily coronavirus infections are more than four times what the U.S. was seeing on Labor Day last year, or a 316% increase, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

And daily deaths are almost twice as high.

Hospitalizations are up 158% from a year ago, U.S. Health and Human Services data shows.

Alabama hospital officials are planning a statewide moment of silence at noon Tuesday to remember the more than 12,000 Alabamians who have died of COVID-19.

At least 1,000 schools across 35 states have closed for in-person learning because of COVID-19 since the beginning of the school year

Reddit shut down a popular anti-vaccine subreddit that had been connected to pushing misinformation about the pandemic and vaccine.

New infections are up 316% from last Labor Day: COVID news

Military doctors and other federal emergency personnel are shoring up exhausted health teams in some parts of the US south where low vaccination rates are fueling the latest Covid-19 crisis.

In one hospital in Mississippi, four pregnant women died last week, said state health officer Thomas Dobbs. Three of them required emergency C-sections and babies were born severely premature.

“This is the reality that we’re looking at and, again, none of these individuals were vaccinated,” Dobbs said.

Military doctors shore up exhausted health teams in US south amid Covid surge

What I have seen happening now, in the United States is that unvaccinated employees have paperwork for religious beliefs or disability exemptions. Then, they request full time telework as an "accommodation".

Well, now, isn't that special?! Don't get me started...

oh...but i can certainly feel your grumblings!!!!

Studies needed into the long term effectiveness of mRNA vaccines as opposed to AstraZeneca .... essentially, Pfizer gets rid of the body's instruction on how to fight the virus, AZ teaches the body how to fight the virus.

The Pfizer vaccine uses genetically engineered messenger RNA, which instructs the body’s cells to make proteins found on the surface of the COVID-19 virus. That prompts a response from the immune system. The cells also break down the instructions and get rid of them, which Dr. Walker said could explain why the effectiveness fades.

The AstraZeneca vaccine uses genetic material from the COVID-19 virus and puts it in a harmless virus. Once injected, the viral vector teaches the body’s cells how to make the COVID-19 proteins, which trigger the immune system.

“These vaccines are just doing very different things,” she said. “They may be having the same protection overall, but how they are getting to that protection is quite different and we need to think about that long term.”

Fully vaccinated people still have high potential of spreading COVID-19 Delta variant, British study says

Great article. This is one to keep as a reference as we go on.
I do get frustrated with people that keep "fighting CDC or the government" for mixed messages.... This article gives highlights of why there are so many differences as well as similarities, and why we simply have to keep informed....as this airplane is still being built when already in the air............

I am grateful for you, Aussie, and Rods for being here.... You cull out great stuff.

The end product ends up being the same for both Pfizer and AstraZeneca-spike protein. Which is then used to provoke a response from an immune system. Novavax is the last step of the protein making process, so the two previous steps (transcription, or making mRNA based on DNA, and translation (making of protein based on mRNA are eliminated)). But the end goal is the same-expose immune system to the spike protein, so it knows what to look for if infected with covid. So all of the vaccines are used to help the immune system how to fight the virus if eventually exposed to it.

thanks... more great data...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member