Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #100

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

Mu quickly became the dominant strain in Colombia, where it was first detected in January, but in the U.S., where the Delta virus is dominant, it has not spread significantly. After reaching a peak at the end of June, the prevalence of the Mu variant in the U.S. has steadily declined.

Scientists believe that the new variant cannot compete with the Delta variant, which is highly contagious.

But a Variant of Interest, like Mu still raises worries. Mu has many known mutations that can help the virus escape immunity from vaccines or previous infection. ...... some clues are emerging that Mu can weaken protection from antibodies generated by existing vaccines.

“[Mu] variant has a constellation of mutations that suggests that it would evade certain antibodies—not only monoclonal antibodies, but vaccine and convalescent serum-induced antibodies"

Still, the good news is that Mu is unlikely to replace Delta in places like the U.S. where it is already predominant

The Mu variant is on the rise. Scientists weigh in on how much to worry.

I am not sure if everyone can access this article ... it is National Geographic (I don't have a subscription, but it is delivered to my inbox each week).

Toward the bottom of the article there is a big map of the US, and by hovering over the different counties, you can see how many cases there have been in the last two weeks.
Eg:
Westchester County NY - one for every 434 people
Los Angeles County CA - one for every 374 people
Brevard County FL - one for every 92 people
Polk County GA - one for every 47 people

Just thought I would put the link here in case anyone wants to see how their county, or another county they are interested in, is doing.

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Where cases are growing and declining

I am not sure if everyone can access this article ... it is National Geographic (I don't have a subscription, but it is delivered to my inbox each week).

Toward the bottom of the article there is a big map of the US, and by hovering over the different counties, you can see how many cases there have been in the last two weeks.
Eg:

Just thought I would put the link here in case anyone wants to see how their county, or another county they are interested in, is doing.

Santa Rosa County, FL . . . one for every 49 people. A friend is having a huge (300 or so) party for her 60th tonight and is mad we won't come.

Eg:

Thanks! What’s also interesting is the progression of Covid monthly in the U.S. as a whole visually in the last series of maps. You see it increasing until Jan. 2021 (when we had it) and then sharply decreasing when vaccinations revved up from February through June. Then increasing again in July and BAM in August with Delta.

Santa Rosa County, FL . . . one for every 49 people. A friend is having a huge (300 or so) party for her 60th tonight and is mad we won't come.

Your friend is risking her life and that of her friends for a party! :mad: Even if she doesn’t stay mad at you, that’s a “friendship” to reevaluate IMO. I wonder how many cases and deaths that party will cause even among the attendees family and friends. Steer clear of all of them and keep us posted if you can.

Detroit couple with 7 children die one day apart after falling ill with COVID-19 (detroitnews.com)

Detroit — The family of a Detroit couple with seven children are grieving after both parents were infected with COVID-19 and died less than a day apart.

Troy and Charletta Green, married for 22 years, had plans to go to Florida with their seven children in August, Troy's sister Tiki Green said.

Charletta's mother died from COVID-19 in May and the Detroit couple had planned an August vacation with their kids, ages 10 to 23, to spend time together and grieve the loss of their loved one, Tiki Green said...

US coronavirus: Not getting vaccinated against Covid-19 is like driving while intoxicated, one health expert says - CNN

"The vast minority of Americans are resistant to vaccination, but that's where the virus has been circulating," CNN Medical Analyst Jonathan Reiner told CNN's Don Lemon on Friday. "We live in a country that has rules. You can't smoke in most buildings in the United States, and you can't drive drunk. You can't smoke on planes. And you can't blow virus into my face.

"That's how it has to be in this country. And if you're going to be a persistent threat to the public health by refusing to get vaccinated, well your actions have consequences, and the consequences may be you can't work at your job."

Detroit couple with 7 children die one day apart after falling ill with COVID-19 (detroitnews.com)

Detroit — The family of a Detroit couple with seven children are grieving after both parents were infected with COVID-19 and died less than a day apart.

Troy and Charletta Green, married for 22 years, had plans to go to Florida with their seven children in August, Troy's sister Tiki Green said.

Charletta's mother died from COVID-19 in May and the Detroit couple had planned an August vacation with their kids, ages 10 to 23, to spend time together and grieve the loss of their loved one, Tiki Green said...

All of the children eligible for the vaccine had been vaccinated. But the parents just had not found the time.

By the time this is over, everyone in the country will know someone whose parent died of COVID.

“But days before leaving for Orlando on Aug. 13, Troy felt ill and decided to stay back in Detroit until he felt better.

Charletta went ahead with the children and her sister, but when she arrived in Florida, she too fell ill, Tiki Green said. Within two days, Charletta was bedridden and taken to a hospital in the Orlando area.”

He was ill and was left behind. She was ill when they left for vacation. They went on vacation anyway. None of them were vaccinated. Did Covid not ever cross their mind? Especially after her mother died from Covid? What vacation is that d@mn important?
Please tell me they weren’t on a plane.....

They lost a loved one to Covid and still didn’t feel the need to get vaccinated.

Guess the parents thought their children wouldn’t mind picking out caskets on their Florida vacation.
JMO

Eg:

A weird thing . . . is Nebraska not reporting cases anymore? What the heck?

If you look around the country all you can see is life going on like pre-pandemic times: Football stadiums are packed, baseball stadiums are packed, concerts are going on: I cannot comprehend how, during this moment, when we are in the grips of the most contagious variant we have been exposed to since the pandemic began, people are living life pretty normally: So, it is no surprise that people are having large parties: Of course all of these activities are without masks. Sigh

Whoa! Hate mail alert ..I just got an alert to schedule my flu shot at Costco next week. Great plan. So, I thought I would forward this to people...wow, lots of negativity about just getting a flu shot.

Is this an episode of "Twilight Zone"?

DH was offered a flu shot when he picked up a prescription at Rite Aid last weekend. We think it's too early to get flu vaccine and will wait a while. I get mine during my annual physical in early November, and that's probably when DH will get his flu shot, too. We will be eligible for our Pfizer Covid boosters in late November.

I don't understand the negativity towards vaccines. I worry that many parents will object to their children receiving the Covid vaccine once it's approved for youngers under age 12. I suspect that those parents who object to masks in schools will also not want their children to get Covid shot/s.

If you look around the country all you can see is life going on like pre-pandemic times: Football stadiums are packed, baseball stadiums are packed, concerts are going on: I cannot comprehend how, during this moment, when we are in the grips of the most contagious variant we have been exposed to since the pandemic began, people are living life pretty normally: So, it is no surprise that people are having large parties: Of course all of these activities are without masks. Sigh
Which is why our covid cases are 4 times higher now than during the same period of time last year, even though we now have the vaccines. We dropped most precautions and are allowing large gatherings. Meanwhile hospitals are full to capacity.

Which is why our covid cases are 4 times higher now than during the same period of time last year, even though we now have the vaccines. We dropped most precautions and are allowing large gatherings. Meanwhile hospitals are full to capacity.

I just don't understand people. Those people who are vaccinated are out there in those large crowds feeling like they are invincible I guess: they are the ones most likely getting the "breakthrough' infections, but by and large it is the unvaccinated who are living life to its fullest, sans vaccines and masks-- with the result that they are getting very sick and taking up all those hospital beds while displacing people with heart attacks, strokes and other urgent and emergent conditions. Who woulda thunk that when we finally were able to get vaccinated, as a country we would be worse off than we were a year ago. It is mind-bending.

French health minister is CHARGED with 'endangering the lives of others' amid Covid | Daily Mail Online

Former French health minister Agnes Buzyn was charged on Friday over her handling of the Covid-19 pandemic after investigators at a special court in Paris concluded there were grounds to prosecute her.

Buzyn has been charged with 'endangering the lives of others', the prosecutor of the Republic's Court of Justice said, but not for a second possible offence of 'failure to stop a disaster'.

The former doctor, who will be able to appeal the charge, arrived for a hearing at the court on Friday morning saying she welcomed 'an excellent opportunity for me to explain myself and to establish the truth.'

The 58-year-old added that she would not 'let the action of the government be discredited, or my action as a minister, when we did so much to prepare our country for a global health crisis that is still ongoing.'

The charges are a blow for President Emmanuel Macron, whose handling of the health crisis will face scrutiny during election campaigning next year, but the court also immediately faced allegations of judicial overreach.

I was talking to a friend about this the other day. I feel like I'm living in a different world compared to so many who are back to "normal" life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa