Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pandemic related ;)
Greener pastures: Marijuana jobs are becoming a refuge for retail and restaurant workers

Many Americans reassessed their jobs and career prospects as the pandemic reshaped their social and working lives. Retail workers in particular are quitting at record rates, in search of consistent hours, better benefits, and more opportunities to advance — which many say they’re finding in the legal cannabis industry.
Additionally, some big companies, including Amazon, are allowing for cannabis users to be employed, as this opens up their options for employees during these short staffed times.

Amazon is supporting the effort to reform the nation’s cannabis policy
Sept. 21, 2021

“An update on our advocacy for equitable workplaces.

In June 2021, we announced that Amazon would exclude marijuana from our comprehensive pre-employment drug screening program for unregulated positions (e.g., positions not regulated by the Department of Transportation). We also reinstated the employment eligibility for former employees and applicants who were previously terminated or deferred during random or pre-employment marijuana screenings.

We made these changes for a few reasons. First, we recognized that an increasing number of states are moving to some level of cannabis legalization—making it difficult to implement an equitable, consistent, and national pre-employment marijuana testing program. Second, publicly available national data indicates that pre-employment marijuana testing disproportionately impacts people of color and acts as a barrier to employment. And third, Amazon’s pace of growth means that we are always looking to hire great new team members, and we’ve found that eliminating pre-employment testing for cannabis allows us to expand our applicant pool.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/21/amazon-will-lobby-government-to-legalize-marijuana.html

Amazon says "time has come" for U.S. to legalize marijuana - CBS News

Amazon ditched cannabis testing, and more employers will likely follow - CNN
June 23, 2021

“States and cities appear to be taking more proactive steps on establishing workplace protections for employees who consume cannabis during their off-hours, he said, noting Atlanta, Georgia, as a prime example. There, Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms enacted an executive order eliminating drug screenings for city employees entering "non-safety sensitive positions."

"This isn't simply a local municipality responding to the change in law that's occurring in their state, it's a municipality being proactive and responding to the change in the culture in their area," Armentano said. "That to me really highlights how far the pendulum has swung."”

[...]

“Last week, shop chairmen in Michigan and Indiana of the labor union UAW called on General Motors to stop screening for cannabis use as one potential solution for hiring shortages, the Detroit Free Press reported.

"In my 34 years [at GM], I've never seen the difficult time we're having right now to maintain headcount, to recruit headcount," Rich LeTourneau, shop chairman of the UAW Local 2209 chapter, which represents the Fort Wayne, Indiana, General Motors workers, told CNN Business in an interview.

The pay scale has to improve, he said, adding that he believes the automaker should seriously consider adjusting its drug testing policy in order to attract more workers.
The issue is under review internally within the company, Dan Flores, a GM spokesperson, told CNN Business.”

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/09/25/covid-vaccine-booster-confusion/

I am disappointed in the media for describing the booster rollout
as chaotic and confusing. I don't feel confused at all by the newest guidelines.
These guidelines involve Pfizer only for the time being. Boosters can be given to people over 65 and some younger people who have certain medical conditions that have left them with weakened immune systems- CDC then added a group of people who work in hi risk jobs. How is that confusing? I think the media with their constant blaring that the rollout of boosters is confusing, makes it more confusing for people and will cause even more people to avoid getting vaccinated. Thoughts?

In home tests from CVS aren’t free. Heck, there are places close to the house/work with free testing, so I’d rather do a drive up test or pop in Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Publix.
Are at at home test nasal swabs?

They are. I keep them on hand, and have used several (I pay about $20 per two-test box at HEB). But, the swabs do not have to go nearly as deep as the PCR swaps - only about 3/4".

Covid came calling to my sweet grand baby Willa. She is 18 months old. Her mom and dad are fully vaccinated but of course the girls are not. Willa is positive, Mabel is 3 and Eloise is 5. My daughter and son in law are ok so far. Poor Willa is so sick. They are watching her carefully but are scared. I feel so bad for them. They were careful! No indoor restaurants or activities yet here we are. The siblings are testing tomorrow morning. But it’s impossible to isolate a baby so all are highly exposed. What a mess.

Summit Middle School student kayaks to school instead of taking the bus

Josh Smith kayaks Sept. 8 to Summit Middle School on Dillon Reservoir. Jason Smith/Courtesy photo

A shortage of bus drivers at Summit School District has some students getting creative about getting to class.

Josh Smith, 12, is a Summit Middle School student and Boy Scout who got a kayak for his birthday a few years back. Given difficulties with busing this year, Josh decided he would take matters into his own hands and kayak to school.

“I’m always looking for new adventures, and I’m always trying to do cool stuff that I’ll remember,” Josh said. “I haven’t really used my kayak this summer, so I was thinking it’s pretty warm weather, and tomorrow I should kayak to school, because then I can tell everyone about it.”

On Sept. 8, Josh did just that. He and his father, Jason Smith, were up at 6 a.m. to load the kayak onto the car, and then the pair drove over to Heaton Bay on Dillon Dam Road. Josh set off for school on Dillon Reservoir at around 7 a.m.

Jason’s car said the temperature at the time was 34 degrees — which worried him — but he said he wasn’t about to change his mind.

“I didn’t like it when I dropped him in the water, and it was 34 degrees. If he falls, it’s going to be hypothermia,” Jason said. “I can easily say ‘no,’ but I think the consequences of ‘no’ are greater than the risk of falling in the water or being late to class.”

On his way over to school, Josh stopped to explore a small island. He said the whole trip took about 35-40 minutes and that he got to school a bit late. He walked into class still wearing his life jacket.

Covid came calling to my sweet grand baby Willa. She is 18 months old. Her mom and dad are fully vaccinated but of course the girls are not. Willa is positive, Mabel is 3 and Eloise is 5. My daughter and son in law are ok so far. Poor Willa is so sick. They are watching her carefully but are scared. I feel so bad for them. They were careful! No indoor restaurants or activities yet here we are. The siblings are testing tomorrow morning. But it’s impossible to isolate a baby so all are highly exposed. What a mess.
I'm so sorry. Hoping everything will be OK for them all!

I'm so sorry. Hoping everything will be OK for them all!

So sorry to hear.....Please keep us updated ... Thanks.

I’m so sorry @Yesiamapirate. How scary for all of you. Please do keep us posted. Hugs!

Sorry to hear about this, neighbor. Our 32-year-old nephew told us that he won't get vaccinated and that it is "his choice". His sister had a baby in June and is also not vaccinated. We don't know vaccine status of baby daddy. We have yet to meet our great niece but aren't sure about exposing ourselves to people who are unvaccinated. Maybe we'll consider it soon after we get our boosters when we'll feel super protected. I hope your family members will be alright.

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. Please keep us updated! (Also, as an aside, I absolutely love all of the girls' names!)

Connecticut doctor's license suspended for providing blank, signed Covid-19 exemption forms, health department says - CNN
More at link
)A Connecticut doctor's state physician and surgeon license has been suspended for providing blank, signed exemption forms related to the Covid-19 vaccine, Covid testing, general vaccines and medical opposition to wearing facial masks, the state Department of Public Health said.

Connecticut's Medical Examining Board suspended the license through a unanimous decision last week, the department said in a news release.
Retired physician Sue Mcintosh of Durham, who is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics, was giving signed forms to people without physically meeting them or examining them, the department said. She would provide the exemption forms to anyone who provided a self-addressed stamped envelope requesting one, they said.
Mcintosh provided signed medical exemption forms for vaccines and masks, and told people they could copy and distribute the signed forms to anyone, according to documents in the Connecticut Medical Examining Board's meeting agenda.

Mcintosh sent instructions to people who requested the forms, according to the documents, saying "Keep blank copies for yourself for future use," and, "let freedom ring!" :rolleyes:

I'm so sorry to hear this-- please keep us updated. Will be hoping for a quick recovery for Willa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500