Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #101

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not "rhetoric". It is sound epidemiologic science. The unvaccinated are a threat to everybody - vaccinated, recovered, never vaccinated - because continuing to allow SARS-CoV2 to replicate in the population anywhere allows conditions that greatly increase the odds of new variants appearing, quite possibly a variant against which no current vaccine or current medical treatments will work.

Vaccines are the most effective measure to stop/slow the replication of the virus, moreso now than ever because people are also refusing other measures to stop/slow the spread such as masks and distancing. IMO

Yup.

Unvaccinated people are 'variant factories,' infectious diseases expert says - CNN

Also you get these unvaccinated people around the vaccinated and a certain percentage of the vaccinated are not protected because the vaccine is not 100% effective.

Then you have those vaccinated who, due to age and health factors, are more at risk for breakthrough infections from the unvaccinated breathing all over them.

I think Biden made an interesting point about protecting the vaccinated from the unvaccinated. Controversial, yes, but an interesting point nonetheless.

Virus experts are buzzing about the discovery. Some suspect that these SARS-CoV-2-like viruses may already be infecting people from time to time, causing only mild and limited outbreaks. But under the right circumstances, the pathogens could give rise to a Covid-19-like pandemic, they say.

The findings also have significant implications for the charged debate over Covid’s origins, experts say. Some people have speculated that SARS-CoV-2’s impressive ability to infect human cells could not have evolved through a natural spillover from an animal. But the new findings seem to suggest otherwise.

“That really puts to bed any notion that this virus had to have been concocted, or somehow manipulated in a lab, to be so good at infecting humans,” said Michael Worobey, a University of Arizona virologist who was not involved in the work.

Newly Discovered Bat Viruses Give Hints to Covid’s Origins

Here's an article from Nature about a similar virus to Sars Co-V 2, which was recently discovered in Laos

Closest known relatives of virus behind COVID-19 found in Laos

Why are they required to be tested regularly and not all employees? We now know that fully vaccinated people can contract and spread Covid. If any are required to be tested then all should be, not just a targeted group.

Our local nursing homes are randomly testing vaccinated employees and visitors. All people who come through the doors must be fully vaccinated. There are no exceptions.

We have been very fortunate to have had just two cases, and no deaths in our community nursing homes, largely due to the pro-active work done by our health care teams and the nursing home staff along with the really wonderful support of the community.

Indiana parents say kids, ages 4 and 5, were accidentally given Covid vaccines instead of flu shots | Daily Mail Online

Two children, ages 4 and 5 got adult doses of the Covid vaccine by mistake at Walgreens.
The parents brought the kids there for a flu shot and they got the full adult dose of the Covid vaccine- they are now having symptoms. The pharmacy contacted the parents about the mistake. I hope the kids will be ok. I can see something like this happening too easily in a drugstore setting. Very careless.

Romania is certainly having some scary problems. Oh my!

From the article:

The College of Physicians of Bucharest, a non-governmental organisation representing doctors in Romania’s capital, said in a letter addressed to Romanians [...] “We are desperate because every day we lose hundreds of patients who die in Romanian hospitals,” the letter reads.

“We are desperate, because, unfortunately, we have heard too many times: I can’t breathe … I’m not vaccinated.”

Romanian doctors issue ‘cry of despair’ amid coronavirus surge

Indiana parents say kids, ages 4 and 5, were accidentally given Covid vaccines instead of flu shots | Daily Mail Online

Two children, ages 4 and 5 got adult doses of the Covid vaccine by mistake at Walgreens.
The parents brought the kids there for a flu shot and they got the full adult dose of the Covid vaccine- they are now having symptoms. The pharmacy contacted the parents about the mistake. I hope the kids will be ok. I can see something like this happening too easily in a drugstore setting. Very careless.
My local Walgreens is completely swamped all the time. They were always busy to begin with, especially during flu shot season. But now, with the same staff, they also have to do COVID testing and COVID shots. They are also selling certain nonprescription products through the pharmacy window. Their duties seem to have doubled but they haven't added staff.

I feel bad for them every time I go and if I have more than a couple of products outside of my prescription, I don't let them ring me up there. I go to the front to ease their load. It seems to me that corporate needs to authorize more pharmacy personnel during this pandemic.

No religious exemptions from COVID-19 vaccines: MC Canada.

Mennonite Church Canada’s executive ministers released a statement earlier this week ..

"We wish to clarify that there is nothing in the Bible, in our historic confessions of faith, in our theology or in our ecclesiology that justifies granting a religious exemption from vaccinations against COVID-19.

“We have heard concerns from some members of our constituency regarding the vaccines. However, we do not believe these concerns justify an exemption from COVID-19 vaccinations on religious grounds from within a Mennonite faith tradition.

“From the earliest biblical writings, in the words of Jesus Christ and in ecclesial writings since Jesus’ ascension, the command to love God and love our neighbour is paramount. Vaccinations allow us to live out this command."

No religious exemptions from COVID-19 vaccines: MC Canada.

Mennonite Church Canada’s executive ministers released a statement earlier this week ..

"We wish to clarify that there is nothing in the Bible, in our historic confessions of faith, in our theology or in our ecclesiology that justifies granting a religious exemption from vaccinations against COVID-19.

“We have heard concerns from some members of our constituency regarding the vaccines. However, we do not believe these concerns justify an exemption from COVID-19 vaccinations on religious grounds from within a Mennonite faith tradition.

“From the earliest biblical writings, in the words of Jesus Christ and in ecclesial writings since Jesus’ ascension, the command to love God and love our neighbour is paramount. Vaccinations allow us to live out this command."

Good for MC Canada! A very common sense, honest approach.

Yes it does. Right here: "As Christopher Martin, a professor of public health at West Virginia University, explains it, these undervaccinated pockets create more opportunity for the virus to mutate.

“Large numbers of unvaccinated people do make variants more likely,” he says. "
Creating variants doesn’t address how that is a hazard to vaccinated people.

Creating variants doesn’t address how that is a hazard to vaccinated people.
The same way Delta is a hazard to people vaccinated only against wild-type? The vaccine is less effective against new variants which does indeed make new variants potentially hazardous, even for vaccinated people.

As for your comment that your freedom does not end with my feelings, that might be true so far at is goes. But your freedom most definitely ends with my freedom to breathe uncontaminated air. jmo

MOD NOTE

Apparently some have forgotten that political debate of any kind is not allowed on Websleuths. Otherwise it seems some are choosing to ignore that long-standing rule. Posts are being removed and Time Outs are coming down the pike. Please stop doing what you all know you are not supposed to do.

Last edited:
So, we are tentatively starting to travel internationally (at least, the residents of NSW are tentatively starting to travel in two weeks time). The new NSW Premier is changing things, especially with regard to quarantine (for current NSW residents).

Millions of NSW residents will be able to fly overseas within weeks and won’t have to quarantine when they get home under a massive shift in international travel arrangements.

On Friday, the state government announced it was scrapping hotel quarantine for fully vaccinated citizens and residents from November.

They would need to test negative for COVID-19 before boarding their flight home and after landing.

But provided they weren’t carrying COVID and were fully vaccinated with a TGA approved jab, they wouldn’t have to quarantine.

TIME FOR TAKE-OFF: Qantas BRINGS FORWARD international flights

Also denied
Injunction denied: Mass. prisoners’ guard union argued COVID vaccine mandate a violation of their rights

more at link
A federal judge has denied a motion for a preliminary injunction sought by the Massachusetts Correction Officers Federated Union, which was arguing that a COVID-19 vaccine mandate was a violation of their rights.

With Gov. Charlie Baker’s deadline requiring all state government workers to be fully vaccinated approaching, the union argued the mandate was a violation of their Fourteenth Amendment rights.

Judge denies Massachusetts state police union's attempt to block COVID-19 vaccine mandate
A local judge has shot down the Massachusetts state police union’s attempt to block Gov. Charlie Baker’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate from taking effect next month.

In a nine-page ruling released late Thursday, Suffolk County Superior Court associate justice Jackie Cowen wrote that the lawsuit brought by the State Police Association of Massachusetts failed to show that the mandate, which requires roughly 44,000 state workers to be fully vaccinated by Oct. 17, would cause “irreparable harm” to the union’s members.

Cowen also disagreed with SPAM’s contention that an injunction to delay the mandate while the two sides further negotiated terms and conditions would not adversely affect the public interest, writing that the police union was “focusing on its members to the exclusion of everyone else.”

“The public interest is, unquestionably, best-served by stopping the spread of the virus, in order to protect people from becoming ill, ensure adequate supply of medical services, and curtail the emergence of new, deadlier variants of the virus,” the judge wrote, noting the evidence showing that unvaccinated individuals are more likely to spread and face complications from COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes