Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #102

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to believe we are in this spot two years later. We have 2 sides of family Christmas coming and the first one was cancelled this morning due to my step grandson getting covid. He is 4 and his test was positive this morning. They live down in Ohio so dinner reservations cancelled, Hotel cancelled and presents put away til another time. I am so sad. Most of us are triple vaccinated but poor Evan is only 4 so not him. So now we look towards Christmas day with my side of the family. It will be a true Christmas miracle if we can pull it off. 25 people from 4 different states. I know it sounds crazy but we are determined. All but three kids have shots and boosters. ( and they all had covid at one point so hopefully are protected with their two shots) I see the lights of the freight train of Omicron coming through the tunnel. I hope we can get our Christmas in before it comes.
ETA...Evan is feeling ok. So far a mild case. Hope it stays that way. Poor little guy.

CDC endorses schools' coronavirus 'test-to-stay' policies (clickondetroit.com)

NEW YORK – U.S. health officials are endorsing “test-to-stay” policies that allow close contacts of students infected with the coronavirus to remain in classrooms if they test negative.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention decided to more firmly embrace the approach, already used my many school districts, after research of such policies in the Chicago and Los Angeles areas found COVID-19 infections did not increase when using the approach.

“Test-to-stay is an encouraging public health practice to help keep our children in school,” CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said on Friday.

CDC's official guidance for schools has been that when someone in a school tests positive for COVID-19 infection, those who were deemed to be in close contact should stay out of school, in home quarantine, for 10 days...

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.16.21267785v1

Results: Up to January 15, 2022, we estimated a background rate projection in EU-27 countries, the UK and Switzerland of about 145,000 COVID-19 daily cases without Omicron, which increases up to 440,000 COVID-19 daily cases in the worst scenario of Omicron spread, and 375,000 in the best scenario. Therefore, Omicron might represent a relative increase from the background daily rates of COVID-19 infection in Europe of 1.03-fold or 2.03-fold, that is up to a 200% increase. Conclusion: This warning pandemic surge due to Omicron is calling for further reinforcing of COVID-19 universal hygiene interventions (indoor ventilation, social distance, and face masks), and anticipating the need of new lockdowns in Europe.

Booster at least 80% effective against severe Omicron

Something a little more optimistic, this article just published a couple of minutes ago
I've been looking for information about the boosters and under the current guidelines I am not eligible for a booster until March, six months after my second shot. I'm trying to find information about any discussion allowing us to boost sooner due to this turn of events with Omicron.

Does anyone know anything?

My Moderna booster shot is effective today!
animated-smileys-christmas-044.gif

I figured it would arrive here...

Omicron in Europe: Where has the new COVID variant been detected?

Latvia
Latvia's first two Omicron cases were confirmed on December 5. The virus variant was detected after saliva samples taken at Riga International Airport on December 4 were tested using genome sequencing. The total number of cases rose to 14 as of December 1.

I've been looking for information about the boosters and under the current guidelines I am not eligible for a booster until March, six months after my second shot. I'm trying to find information about any discussion allowing us to boost sooner due to this turn of events with Omicron.

Does anyone know anything?
Over here, its been brought forward to two months so we can get our over 18s boostered asap

Pfizer is testing a third Covid vaccine dose in young kids, delaying trial results (nbcnews.com)

The company said data suggest that people vaccinated with three doses may have a higher degree of protection.

Pfizer and BioNTech are testing a third dose of their Covid-19 vaccine in an ongoing trial of children ages 6 months to under 5 years after the companies found that the two-dose regimen didn’t generate a strong enough immune response in some children, the companies announced Friday.

The change to the trial protocol means that the companies won't have data to submit to regulators until the first half of 2022. That's a change from earlier this month, when Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said the company could have data on young kids by the end of this year...

Over here, its been brought forward to two months so we can get our over 18s boostered asap
Thank you. I've been scouring the CDC website for any updated guidelines, but nothing has been posted yet. It's still booster 6 months after 2nd shot (except for some immunocompromised folks) who can get them sooner.

Why such a rush for a third shot when 2 are suppose to keep you out of the hospital? I had my 2nd shot 3 months ago and it should protect me from being hospitalized still.

I am protected enough to dine out with 2 vaccines.

Why such a rush for a third shot when 2 are suppose to keep you out of the hospital? I had my 2nd shot 3 months ago and it should protect me from being hospitalized still.

I am protected enough to dine out with 2 vaccines.
Same. I am 3 months out from my 2nd shot as well. I wasn't thinking about boosters - until now. I've continued masking and social distancing while watching this situation play out and figured I'd just get my booster in March when it's due. But now we have this Omicron thing and who knows what's going to happen with that, but for now it appears our antibodies are not as effective against it as they are for Delta.

I'm smart enough to know my antibodies from the vaccine are not magically going to all go poof at 6 months. They are declining slowly, day by day, as we speak. What level of antibody is protective against Omicron? Even if I get my levels checked, no one can tell me how many I need anyway. Heck, for that matter I don't even know for sure if I developed antibodies from the first 2 shots, now that I think about it.

I know science takes a minute, but it would be nice to know what level of antibodies, even just a ballpark range, are protective. And an easy way to test your own levels periodically would be nice, too.

I really hate all these unknowns. Drives me batty. jmo

Same. I am 3 months out from my 2nd shot as well. I wasn't thinking about boosters - until now. I've continued masking and social distancing while watching this situation play out and figured I'd just get my booster in March when it's due. But now we have this Omicron thing and who knows what's going to happen with that, but for now it appears our antibodies are not as effective against it as they are for Delta.

I'm smart enough to know my antibodies from the vaccine are not magically going to all go poof at 6 months. They are declining slowly, day by day, as we speak. What level of antibody is protective against Omicron? Even if I get my levels checked, no one can tell me how many I need anyway. Heck, for that matter I don't even know for sure if I developed antibodies from the first 2 shots, now that I think about it.

I know science takes a minute, but it would be nice to know what level of antibodies, even just a ballpark range, are protective. And an easy way to test your own levels periodically would be nice, too.

I really hate all these unknowns. Drives me batty. jmo

Interesting we are in the same boat, both due in March for our boosters.

Quite frankly I wouldn't get a booster now if I could. I have read information that points out it could be better for your immune system to have a fairly long time between vaccines.

That it might have been better to have gotten the 2nd vaccine farther out then the 3 weeks recommended. This could be a reason the booster seems so helpful because the booster has a long gap between it and the second shot.

So I feel pretty safe and not rushed about it at all.

With this Omicron information coming out daily I think we are lucky to have more time to get more information before our boosters are due. I'm glad I got my vaccines later.

Last edited:
I had my (Pfizer) booster shot as soon as it became available, which was five months after my 2nd dose. The first two doses (Astra Zeneca) were three months apart. We were told that non-mRNA vaccines lost their effectiveness quicker and that we could get a booster even after two months. mRNA-vaccinated had to wait at least three months after the second shot.

Oof...the UK is taking a pounding. 93,000 new cases today. The highest ever previous peak was 67,000 back on Jan 8, 2021.

United Kingdom COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer
Do all those people have to quarantine?

I notice the big news in the UK (I look at the BBC) for days, seems to be who had Christmas parties last Christmas.

I realize it's about fairness, etc, but seriously, don't the media have a few other things to report on that are a tad more, current?

Do all those people have to quarantine?

I notice the big news in the UK (I look at the BBC) for days, seems to be who had Christmas parties last Christmas.

I realize it's about fairness, etc, but seriously, don't the media have a few other things to report on that are a tad more, current?

Most of us could care less, its just the media blowing it up.

Yes, people with covid must isolate for 10 days. Double vaccinated close contacts no longer do. Presumably to keep supply chains going and industry turning, hospitals amd schools operating etc, but I still find it v unnerving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe