Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #105

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon's At-Home COVID-19 PCR Test Is FDA-Authorized for Emergency Usage and Only $40

“As continue corona viruses continue to surge in the United States due to the highly contagious Omicron variant, the Food and Drug Administration has authorized a handful of at-home rapid antigen and molecular (PCR) COVID-19 test kits. Many of the kits can be conveniently found online, including Amazon's very own RT-PCR kit, which recently was FDA-authorized for emergency usage.

While many at-home tests are rapid antigen tests, meaning that you get results in 15 to 30 minutes, Amazon's test is a real-time polymerase chain reaction test, a variation of the PCR test that gets you results within 24 hours of lab submission. To use the kit, simply register your kit online at AmazonDX.com, collect a nasal sample following the instruction provided, and ship the sample the same day at a UPS location. (The test kit provides a prepaid next day delivery mailing label.) The test will be sampled at Amazon's College of American Pathologists-accredited and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments-certified laboratory, and your results will appear on AmazonDX.com within 24 hours of the collection time.”

Over 120 care home outbreaks over the weekend in Northern Ireland.

Covid-19: At least 120 outbreaks in care homes in Northern Ireland

Dr Armstrong said visiting relatives was a "complicated" issue.

"People need to see their loved ones as well but, at the moment, there is an unprecedented level of community transmission.

"Each care home will make their own risk assessment according to the vulnerability of their patients and what their staffing levels are like as well."

She encouraged members of the public to see what they could do virtually or over the phone.

Dr Armstrong urged those visiting to do lateral flow tests before going, get vaccinated or get their booster and to wear a good quality face mask.

She said some private care homes were taking the decision to restrict visitors.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And still here in my retirement community, visitors come and go, some without masks (as our director said "it's optional") We even had a bus from here go to the local Walmart this morning with residents going shopping - most without masks or if they bothered, flimsy cloth ones. I hope we are luckier than other places, as I sit here in my apartment, whilst most of the residents are eating in the dining room all together.....yikes!

People falling back to twitter even for testing advice...a throat swab may detect Omicron much better then a nasal swab....Why this has to come via twitter ????

T. Ryan Gregory
@TRyanGregory

·
1 jan.
Omicron is not a Pokemon-style "final evolution" of SARS-CoV-2. It's still mutating rapidly, including in the spike protein, and with the amount of replication it is doing out there right now, we can expect new variants. Hoping is not a strategy. Giving up is not a plan.

More realism...

The throat swab positive while nasal swab negative testing story is becoming quite common. Here is another person with 3 negative nasal tests but got an immediate positive when she switched to a throat swab.
HFZKFAHM_20220102-224902.png
#Omicron is different - we must adapt.

Well, there it is. Today, with the “wrong” (i.e. cold) symptoms and after a string of negative LFTs, I finally took Twitter advice and swabbed my throat as well as my nose (no mean feat with that diddly stick). If you think you might have COVID, consider adding the throat sample

I was about ready to post this. Swab the back of the throat/tonsils first then nasal.

Also full stadium for the orange bowl in Miami which is loaded
with Omicron infected people---it is just a jaw dropping scene

It sometimes seems like these football posts are a weekly occurrence, and it brought a question to mind. I know that this thread tends to revolve around an older demographic, but I wondered if any of you know younger people who take the same approach to Covid - triple vaxxed, double masked, haven't been in a restaurant in two years, would never consider flying, etc.? I know I've seen young friends wearing masks in their Facebook profile pictures, and I have a young relative that works for a company that takes it all very seriously, which is reflected in the attitudes of her and her coworkers. I don't know how wide spread this is among younger generations.

It sometimes seems like these football posts are a weekly occurrence, and it brought a question to mind. I know that this thread tends to revolve around an older demographic, but I wondered if any of you know younger people who take the same approach to Covid - triple vaxxed, double masked, haven't been in a restaurant in two years, would never consider flying, etc.? I know I've seen young friends wearing masks in their Facebook profile pictures, and I have a young relative that works for a company that takes it all very seriously, which is reflected in the attitudes of her and her coworkers. I don't know how wide spread this is among younger generations.
I'm 33 and mask when I go in places (usually only go in grocery store to get things here and there), vaccinated, haven't gone out to eat or movies, concerts etc. My two closest friends are the same way.

But I feel like there are plenty of folks in my age range, or even their twenties, who seem to think they're invincible against this.

Or beyond that, they don't seem to register that it's not always about their personal risk and how they would fare - but they can easily spread it to someone that doesn't have the advantage of youth or good health.

My daughter and her boyfriend are 28. Both of them have been very strict about their Covid protocol because of respect for their relatives.

Her boyfriend works with his Father, so he doesn't want to take the virus to work and infect his parents. So he is always masked up and doesn't go to restaurants or bars, etc. He and my daughter go and get take out together and then go sit on a mountain top or on their patio deck, to 'eat out.'

I am emotional and grateful that my daughter is thinking of my husband and I, and her grandmother, when she follows that protocol herself. She is very careful and she works from home mostly so we can all still visit often, even during this pandemic.

But almost all of her friends are being less strict with their protocol. She is in a large group text with her closest friends and most of them give her a hard time for not going with them to birthday dinners and concerts, etc. Many of those friends have had covid already.

She has gone to a couple of the events. She went to a close friends small wedding and she went to a birthday dinner at a B and B, that was catered. And everyone rapid tested before the event.

But one of her close friends is very reckless and travels a lot, goes out a lot, and had Covid twice already. She is vaxxed so she wasn't severely ill but she did pass it to her mother, who was sick for 2 weeks.

So I am in my late 50's. Am I old or young? Anyways, I am triple vaxxed. Mr. Pirate is a bit older but we both do the same things. Our friends are between our ages. Before vaccines, we isolated, shopped on line...no restaurants. Since we were both double vaxxed in January 2021 we have gotten back to what we enjoy. We eat in restaurants, have flown on a plane and in November went to an indoor football game and recently a hockey game. I take covid seriously, hence my vaccines and my utmost respect for those that prefer less social activity. My friends in our age group are like minded.
Oddly, my mid 20-mid 30 aged kids are much less likely to go indoors in crowds. I wear a mask if required, they probably wear them more often. I feel we are less risk adverse than they are. I don't know if they are a good reflection among the younger generation or not.

My son tested again this afternoon and is still negative. He's done a PCR and has sent it. My daughter-in-law, his wife, still has a faint line on the rapid test. They're assuming she still has it even though she feels much better now. They are still in quarantine.

I'm in my 60's and ULTRA careful.
If I was 20 or 30 something in this pandemic, I might have relaxed a bit more but one thing I know for certain is that I would have always worn a mask because I would have cared about others and never wanted to infect or harm them. I just don't get unthinking selfish unmasked people (without valid medical reasons). It is beyond my understanding.

Here we go again. I'm afraid to look at today's numbers.

L.A. County records nearly 45,000 new COVID cases over holiday weekend

'Explosive transmission’: L.A. County records nearly 45,000 new COVID cases over holiday weekend

Los Angeles County recorded nearly 45,000 new coronavirus cases over the weekend as the omicron variant continued its relentless spread.

Even with the holiday lags in reporting, L.A. County recorded 23,553 new cases on Saturday and another 21,200 on Sunday.

County officials say over 20% of those getting tested are positive for the virus.

My niece is 25. She is triple vaxed and wears her mask if she has to go indoors. She does this for herself and to avoid bringing any virus home when she visits her parents. All her friends are the same. She has been traveling post-vaccines, but she is super serious about all precautions.

My daughter is 40 and her eldest child is 17, with two young ones. Everyone is vaxed and boosted except the two little ones who are ineligible for the booster. Of course the teenager likes to go out with her friends, but they wear masks on the subway and anything indoors.

It’s not just older people who pay attention to the safety of themselves and their loved ones. It’s anyone who pays attention to reality.

IMO

80s vaxxed (idk about boosted) FIL caught covid a week ago. Is in hospital for 2nd time in 5 days after feeling worse. No one can go in and we have no updates. 80s vaxxed MIL now getting sick and sounds horrible. Immuno-issues middle age (their) daughter visiting there now coughing like crazy. We are all worried sick.
Several of my patients this week canceled due to being positive. Cases are skyrocketing.

Very few younger people around me at work or in my neighborhood/community are taking the same approach to Covid as I am, many are young families with kids involved in sports at school and competing statewide, etc. and some are from large and close families that get together regularly at all the holidays and special family occasions, etc. No mask wearing unless required at the stores they shop in, and at work if required by their employers, but otherwise no mask wearing or social distancing, etc. They respect my choices due to my age and being more at-risk for serious illness if I contract the infection, and I respect their choices for themselves and their families. In our neighborhood, there are only a couple of families, besides ours, that wear masks and social distance. We tend to be an older demographic.

I am also younger with young kids. I’ve been mostly at home for this pandemic. Went out to eat exactly twice for lunch at the time the restaurant opened so we were the only patrons. That was before omicron showed up. Triple vaxxed, always single and sometimes double masked. I do work with people for a living and kids are in school. But the first thing we do upon arriving home is shower and everything right into the washing machine. Oh and hand sanitizer strapped to every bag and purse and disinfecting soles of shoes. I don’t care if I’m spazzy. My family depends on me and I’ll be as careful with them and myself as possible. There’s no football game or bar beer that’s worth it. I have football on the tv and beer in my fridge. And individuality and freedumb isn’t as important as kicking COVID’s butt to me.

Two nights ago my 6 yr old granddaughter, K, woke up coughing. My DIL went to take her water, and saw that K was clammy and warm, and was having night sweats. When she drank the water, she began feeling nauseous, and holding her stomach, saying she needed something to throw up in....

My son heard the situation and went in with a large bowl for her just in case, and tried to comfort her. She seemed to be getting upset which is unusual for her, she is usually pretty confident and easy going. My son said he could feel her heart was beating very fast and it worried him. Did they need to call 911 or maybe jump in the car and go to the hospital?

K does yoga with her Mom sometimes, so my DIL got her to do the meditation deep breathing exercises with her, and they focused on taking slow deep breaths and relaxing the mind....

That helped a lot, and everyone relaxed ....my son hugged her and told her that she looked so much better and he could hear that her heart was beating normally again....so he asked her if she felt any better...

And she nodded, but then began to tear up a little---and she told them that when she started coughing and felt hot, she GOT REALLY SCARED and was afraid 'she had the deadly Corona.'

That ^^^^ was so heartbreaking to hear. They never speak about it in that way, and she doesn't watch TV. But obviously, living in a LA suburb, it is a impossible to avoid the subject. And she does wear masks and her 1st grade is mostly by Zoom....:(

And being only 6, the pandemic has eaten up a large chunk of her life so far. It makes me very sad.

Anyway, she has had two Rapid Home tests and both have been negative. They think it was just something she ate or a quick passing bug of some kind, thank goodness....

oh no the poor little girl being so scared
glad she's ok

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/interactive/2021/covid-health-worker-suicide/

“Respiratory therapist Alva Daniels fought in covid hot spots throughout the pandemic, but it was only in recent months that the strain began to show.

He started calling his wife from the hospital bathroom, crying, when he lost a patient. “We can’t save them. All we do is bag ’em and tag ’em,” he told a friend. Then, as coronavirus cases fueled by the delta variant rose over the summer, he told his wife: “Things are getting bad again and we don’t have enough people to fight it. If something happens to me — if I die — I want to be buried next to my mom.”

Alicia McAllister-Daniels, a nurse, thought her husband was talking about a breakthrough case of covid-19. Instead, Daniels, 38, died by suicide just five days later, his body found in a wooded area near the apartment in Fredericksburg where he was living while on a travel assignment.”

poor guy
so sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads