Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is behind a paywall- the message is frightening for us older folks: the article states that 9 out of 10 deaths from Covid are people over 65
Excellent article, thanks for posting. Here is a gift link for anyone who'd like to read it:

As an elderly person myself (late 70s), I didn't realize that 9 out of 10 deaths are in people over 65. But I am grateful for the protection from good masks and from the vaccines and 3 boosters I have received. IMO, it's a pity that so many elderly folks have not had the most recent (bivalent) booster. They will need it this winter, I think.

Excellent article, thanks for posting. Here is a gift link for anyone who'd like to read it:

As an elderly person myself (late 70s), I didn't realize that 9 out of 10 deaths are in people over 65. But I am grateful for the protection from good masks and from the vaccines and 3 boosters I have received. IMO, it's a pity that so many elderly folks have not had the most recent (bivalent) booster. They will need it this winter, I think.
Thank you for the gift link. An important read, IMO.

I was surprised when I read that not many seniors got boosters-- that certainly could
Account for an increased number of deaths among seniors-- this would be especially
True if seniors, like so many others, are doing things that include being around lots
Of other people.

This certainly is good to know. It confirms that I need to continue to be cautious and wear a mask as I head toward 77 in a couple of months. Covid is still hitting my large circle of friends, mostly ones under 60, and they aren’t getting too sick thanks to boosters. I haven’t lost any friends to covid, thankfully.

Is that a good thing?
I'm not sure- right now I am 4 months since my last booster. Before this last booster, it was 8 months since the one before and 8 months from the 2nd vaccine to the first booster. I probably won't wait 8 months this time, but I think I can wait another month or so to get the new Bivalent. What do you think about how long one should go between boosters. I just feel uncomfortable getting them too often.

I'm not sure- right now I am 4 months since my last booster. Before this last booster, it was 8 months since the one before and 8 months from the 2nd vaccine to the first booster. I probably won't wait 8 months this time, but I think I can wait another month or so to get the new Bivalent. What do you think about how long one should go between boosters. I just feel uncomfortable getting them too often.

I too am at my 4th month after my 2nd booster (4 total shots) - I was going to also wait until my 6th month (February) as I do not think my country has that new booster yet.
And you are right - do not feel comfortable having them too close together. I would wait until your 6th month, but that is just my opinion! I wear a mask where ever I go - even though NO one here does. Christmas with mask.jpg

“The vaccine, a mist that is sucked in through the mouth, is being offered for free as a booster dose for previously vaccinated people…”

“Scientists hope that such "needle-free" vaccines will make vaccination more accessible in countries with fragile health systems because they are easier to administer. They also may persuade people who don't like getting a shot in the arm to get inoculated.”

China debuts oral, aeriosolize COVID vaccine
China debuts oral, aeriosolize COVID vaccine

I don’t recognize the above source
Here is another source about the same subject but is behind a paywall if you’ve used up all your free articles:
Afraid of needles? China using inhalable COVID-19 vaccine - The Washington Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...9cea50-5501-11ed-ac8b-08bbfab1c5a5_story.html
Sounds like cases are increasing in china- not so sure this oral vaccine works very well and China has refused to use the Mrna vaccine.

My husband went to the ophthalmologist office and no masking required-docs and staff no masks.
I am puzzled by this lack of recognition that we are still in the midst of a pandemic. By the way if
It were me visiting this office i would have worn a mask.

Bad strain of flu this year, but the good news is that this year's flu shot is a good match to the influenza virus that is circulating.

My husband went to the ophthalmologist office and no masking required-docs and staff no masks.
I am puzzled by this lack of recognition that we are still in the midst of a pandemic. By the way if
Didn’t Biden say that the pandemic was over? No masks in doctors offices here in a long time.

I have Kaiser Permanente for my health plan, and they have been still requiring us to wear masks when entering any of their facilities, regardless of vaccination status. I appreciate that.

My father lives at a skilled nursing facility in Los Angeles. Since he and the other residents are of the group with the highest risk for serious illness/death due to Covid, I have to be as careful as I can be not to inadvertently bring it in to their building.

That said, however, I just got a notice today from them that 2 employees and 2 residents tested positive! *sigh* The notice states: “The 7-Day daily average for COVID-19 positives for Los Angeles is now over 9%. This represents a rapid increase over the past week or so,” and the letter goes on to ask us to adhere to precautions as much as ever for the sake of our loved ones there. :confused:

Didn’t Biden say that the pandemic was over? No masks in doctors offices here in a long time.

I’m happy to live in Oregon, where masks in medical facilities are still required. Anyone who takes a President’s words as gospel (whether it’s Trump or Biden) isn’t paying attention. The value of this thread is that it has allowed us to read news from a variety of sources and draw our own conclusions.
JMO

Coincidentally, DH has an appointment with an ophthalmologist later this morning (Millman-Derr). When they called on Monday to confirm his appointment, he was reminded to wear a mask. We were not required to wear masks in our dentist's office in mid-October. My primary care physician's office still requires masks, and the Beaumont building where DH swims requires masks when entering or leaving the building but not in the aquatic center or gym because the rest of the facility houses medical offices.

Our home backs up to a senior facility. During the spring and summer when the foliage is deep, we don't usually notice much activity, but now that the leaves have fallen, we notice emergency vehicles coming and going day and night. In the early months of the pandemic in the winter of 2020, we could see EMTs in hazmat suits when they arrived at the senior facility to take patients to hospitals. I hope what we're seeing now isn't an indication of increased Covid cases in the various buildings on the property.

It's so lovely to be the ONLY person masked at Target, Cracker Barrell (just went to the store part,not to eat) and Chick-Fil-A (went in to order a milkshake to go). I was on the Retirement Home's bus for some shopping, otherwise I would have used drive up at the fast food place...but anyways, I was behind a little boy and his mother in line and the boy was obviously sick and coughing and she only ordered chicken soup for him...so why do people take thier sick kids out???
Why is no one wearing masks during this busy shopping season?

More to worry about-- I was wondering what will happen globally if China goes out of control with the virus for reasons noted in this article.

It's so lovely to be the ONLY person masked at Target, Cracker Barrell (just went to the store part,not to eat) and Chick-Fil-A (went in to order a milkshake to go). I was on the Retirement Home's bus for some shopping, otherwise I would have used drive up at the fast food place...but anyways, I was behind a little boy and his mother in line and the boy was obviously sick and coughing and she only ordered chicken soup for him...so why do people take thier sick kids out???
Why is no one wearing masks during this busy shopping season?
The same parent that has a sick child (fever, flushed face, coughing and runny nose) who is not allowed to attend school for those reasons but brings them in for an hour or two “because it’s picture day”!
And then they are unhappy with how their child looks in the pictures.
JMO

Last edited:

More to worry about-- I was wondering what will happen globally if China goes out of control with the virus for reasons noted in this article.

It's an extremely difficult situation in the PRC. If the government eases up on the zero-Covid policy, the sheer number of people infected due to the population numbers will certainly overwhelm the hospitals and healthcare.

In addition, the vaccines that the PRC is using appear to be less effective than the mRNA vaccines that we are using in the West. Even though I'm not a big fan of the WHO, I believe that they have a good relationship with the PRC, so am hoping they can find a way to work with the government and come up with a plan that is effective and is less risky for the Chinese people.

I have family in Beijing, as I have noted before on this forum, and we have a home in Beijng that we have not been able to get to for almost three years now, since the Covid outbreak in March 2020. I worry about the Chinese people and what they are living through, with zero-Covid policy and what it is doing to their lives, economy, etc. And now with the protests and the government crackdowns on top of it, I am so additionaly worried for their safety.

I think you should go ahead and get the bivalent booster now. MOO
I would always get what's available, especially with my personal health/situation and experience top of mind.

Last July (after being sooooo careful) I accompanied my dear elderly neighbor to the hospital after he fell and was so weak that paramedics were unable to get him up. After sitting in the ER with him for five hours, his COVID test came back positive and I headed home with a heavy dread.

His dear wife was home with a serious chronic lung condition. In days she tested positive, as did I. The dear man was in the hospital for weeks but recovered and was sent to rehab. The silver lining for him was that he received a much needed pacemaker during his hospital stay meaning his physical health was better after his stay than it was when he was admitted.

During this time his wife got sicker and sicker at home and was eventually rushed to the hospital where her downward trend continued up to ICU admission and a vent. She passed away in August after every measure to save her failed. Now I tend to her husband as much as I can with my own limitations. They were married for 64 years and his grief is palatable daily. He's approaching 90 so this is what the rest of his life will look like. They were and have been my dear friends for 30 years.

I recovered the most of the three of us but still have little smell, weekly headaches, some shortness of breath and less energy than before COVID. Mostly COVID left me with a broken heart for two good and decent friends.

Having a front row seat to the scorched earth that COVID can leave behind means I still wear masks in public, avoid crowds/restaurants, and while understanding that frequent boosters don't have years of research behind them, I'll be first in line to get whatever is offered. My emotional journey through this has been difficult and continues with hope that one day I will not think of the ugly part of COVID that I've witnessed but instead remember the honor and comfort of being a part of their life.

As an added note, neither had COVID vaccines. They were of the belief that not enough research was available. I'll always wonder if they had taken the recommended vaccinations if the end of their story would have been different. I believe it would have but will never know. I was and will always be vaxxed to the max.

I've kept up with this thread but wasn't ready to put my experience with COVID into words until now. Hopefully sharing my experience will be meaningful to someone that reads it.

Happy holidays to those that celebrate. May we all stay COVID free or recover rapidly if it does find us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members