Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Jersey's top officials are not recommending New York City's St. Patrick's Day parade. NJ Transit is even expanding its service to get people over the river and into the gathering of roughly 2 million people.

"When we start seeing community spread, there is no doubt that we will be exercising more vigilance in our recommendations for closures, travel, mass transit. But in New Jersey we're not there yet," Health commissioner Judith Persichilli said at a briefing.

Amid coronavirus fears, should you cancel your event? What NJ officials are recommending

bbm

OMG. NOW is the time to stop this. I previously responded to your post with Cuomo's comments. I'll say it again: he's swimming upstream. How frustrating.

Isolating is the best course of action, imo. As an expert just pointed out, if we wear gloves, once we touch ONE thing, our gloves are then contaminated.

my motto has been “live like everyone has it”.
Im stealing your motto :)

I wish everyone would! Most people are asymptomatic that are transmitting it, imo. Even in life at the grocery, if we are tight up to the person in front/behind us, we are inhaling their exhaled air, right? I think if people would stay home (if able) we can do our part to help. By staying home I mean avoiding shopping malls, movie theaters, Etc.
I’m not so convinced elderly are at greater risk than the younger. The Cynthiana, KY patient that worked at WMT is young & had zero health issues. She ended up on life support.

Just wanted to squeeze in here quickly to say you folks are Phenomenal! The information and updates posted since the beginning have been absolutely invaluable. I’m always pages behind but I wanted to send you all a heartfelt thank you!
Kindest regards :):)

It really seems like we are not being told what is truly about to happen.....
Like we are on hold.
Our gov’ contradicts himself, imo. After scrubbing our hands, we should live normally. Then we get a string of closings & cancellations.
Will we wake one morning only to learn no one is allowed to leave home and all public venues are closed?
The constant “no new cases today, but it is coming....we want you to know....and be prepared,” is very concerning.

Reminder, World Health Organization presser is in about 25 minutes. I will post a link .

For right now, Rest stop update of notes during the House of Rep meeting ongoing while driving.

My summary right now is not paraphrase very well as I took quick notes while driving and my notes are very poor. But I think the concept is there for discussion.
  1. The rest stop bathrooms are much cleaner in Georgia than they are in Florida
  2. There was discussion of why can't the United States just buy the South Korean test because they are testing so many everyday up to 15,000 a day. The answer was they would have to get FDA approval. The fast track that allows only United States companies does not allow FDA to approve an outside of US company for purchasing of a test. He wasn't sure, but he thought the company that produce them was Roche which is not United states-based. Also, the Koreans have very different platform is they have fast test and we have slow test. A different platform and our Health Department's do not have the equipment at this time to do fast testing/ hi throughput testing cannot be done in the United States because we do not have the equipment In our health Laboratories in our states.
  3. We have not considered drive-thru testing. We want to maintain the intimate relationship of Doctor vs patient in the United States. We believe in keeping contact with the doctor. The senator really lashed out at that person and said we don't see that. (E.d I agree!!!!!!!! This is one of those times that I wanted to yell in my car the Saturday Night Live quote that I said the other day "Jane, you ignorant sl*t"!!!!! Did you really just tell the American people and your constituents that?)
  4. A senator asked as a follow-up if the EPA or FDA I can't remember which in my notes could do a change to allow for the South Korean test. He said it would take a change in legislation. The only quick approval was for United States companies for even in emergency situations. It does not allow foreign companies.
  5. There was talk about South Korea doing an IGG and IGM test, but the senator was very confused that this was a serology test and not a diagnostic test so I'll skip that and get into it later. Those are two different to see if somebody has been infected in the past or in the future, and one of those antibodies is for long-term and one is for short-term.. I understand it but I'll go into it later when I'm not on the road.
  6. A senator whose name begins with Krishna...., focused on hanging the CDC person that bungled all this and they spent much of their time on that. Quit wasting our time and focus on what we need to do please senator. It wasn't one person it was the system so let's move on and let's focus on the solution is my opinion. In the middle of a crisis as we say, don't throw blame move on and try to fix it.
  7. Mr. Connolly oh, I don't remember what district or state he was with, he used almost all of his 5 minutes to be political. Again, I was disappointed they are using their time for politics. Also, he was using averages and not median numbers. I caught that but I don't think the Normal public would as I think he was using questions for sound bites for his district. It's very important when you were talking about ages to use median and not averages. The difference can be 15 years. In my opinion. I think the average may be 80 years, but I think the median maybe 65. That's just my opinion but I'm on the road and it's off the top of my head.
  8. Another Senator mr. Grothm (spelling?) Kept wanting to compare it to influenza. Again and again he wanted to compare it to influenza and NBA Games Etc. Another person who wasn't focused on getting two answers and doing sound bites.
Okay, I need to get back on the road after sitting at a rest stop to decompress after listening to that and I'm probably 40 minutes behind on the House of Representative hearing which will probably end in about 10 minutes but I will catch up later.

Have a good day everybody and the World Health Organization meeting live link should open up at about 12 p.m. Eastern, and as I said before I will post the link in about 20 minutes. They're late today.

ETA graph shown in hearing attached screenshot

View attachment 237830

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU ARE DOING!

That graph is freaking me out. The red color for the US doesn't even appear on that graph!!!

Top US doctors say the next month is a critical time to contain coronavirus

Speaking at the House Oversight Committee ... “It is critical because we must be much more serious as a county about what we might expect. ... A couple of cases today are going to be many, many cases tomorrow,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Doubling down, Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said, “This is a time for everyone to get engaged. This is not just a response for the government and public health system. It's a response for all of America.”

Live updates: Coronavirus cases pass 115,000 worldwide - CNN

Sweden reports first death

Sweden joins a number of countries which reported their first death(s) from covid-19 today.

The elderly patient, who had “an underlying sickness”, died in intensive care at a hospital in the Stockholm region.

Sweden has around 460 confirmed cases of the virus, the first of which was identified at the end of January.

The regional health authority said that one other patient with coronavirus was being treated in intensive care in the Stockholm region.

Coronavirus live updates: record rise in cases in UK and Iran, with deaths reported in Ireland and Bulgaria

Maybe we shouldn't panic until we hear the bullhorn calling, "Bring out your dead."

I'm old, I have the most to worry about from what I hear. I take precautions but intend to live my life. Fear and panic do no good for anyone. IMO

Maybe we shouldn't panic until we hear the bullhorn calling, "Bring out your dead."

I'm old, I have the most to worry about from what I hear. I take precautions but intend to live my life. Fear and panic do no good for anyone. IMO

Fear and panic is being brought on because we are getting conflicting information between the government(s) and the medical professionals/scientists. Any by government, I mean all around the world, not just here in the US.

We need direction and assurance of some sort, something that we are not getting from those in power.

MOO!

I am containing any uncalled for panic until I hear the dulcet tones of the Emergency Broadcast System, and the words. . ."This is NOT a Test." LOL. IMO

Doubling down, Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said, “This is a time for everyone to get engaged. This is not just a response for the government and public health system. It's a response for all of America.”

Yet huge sporting events with thousands of spectators continue.
I think in April we might get staggering news/statistics.
How many people are walking around right now, transmitting CV19? Oh, more than I want to know.....

Tech companies to meet with White House on coronavirus response

The White House is meeting with representatives from Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft and Twitter on Wednesday to coordinate efforts over the growing coronavirus outbreak.

U.S. Chief Technology Officer Michael Kratsios will lead the meeting, with some participants attending via teleconference.

Coronavirus updates live: Gov. Cuomo questions testing rates in U.S. as cases top 1,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675