Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope everyone is doing as well as they can.

JMO
One thought I have been having today is I really think scientists should try to figure out why certain "clusters" blow up. I have had a theory for some time now that there is something unique about when these clusters blow up. At bottom is an example of 31 people catching the virus just because they went to a wedding. That is a huge number of people catching it from one place in a short amount of time.

I have no idea what could be causing such a major cluster outbreak. I dont know if there is a certain strain that is more catching or if there is a medium like food or air ventilation or plumbing or something like that that could be causing some large breakouts. I do think certain clusters are occurring more than a typical person to person catching, and I think there is something unique about it that causes the cluster to blow up.

We have seen quite a few clusters now and some of them like the nursing home in Washington state they claimed was the vaporizing due to them using a bad method at first to help the patients breathe and were inadvertently putting the virus in the air. But even in that cluster I am not so sure anymore because we have seen other clusters breakout and it seems super contagious more than a typical person to person spread. I am leaning towards three possible things. Either a food source becomes infected and then is given to the people in the cluster or maybe the air ventilation systems that somehow gets piped into and out of all the rooms from an infected source, thus maybe sharing air particles from room to room. Or maybe even plumbing systems that can aerosolize the particles when flushing comodes or simply spraying water out a faucets nozzle with a stream that aerosolizes it. Or maybe even possibly a certain strain that is more contagious than others. Wait, that is 4 options. LOL I have no idea but I do think it is something that needs to be determined because I do think there is a common link in how the clusters are catching it so badly.

I think we have yet to figure out what is causing certain clusters to blow up.

This cluster in this news article below is an example of a mystery cluster. 31 people that attended a wedding ended up catching it. They could not have been there longer than 1/2 day or so and yet 31 people got it. That is a rather large cluster breakout. Something is unique about that IMO.

Im not convinced yet that it was simply person to person causing the big cluster outbreak. I think it is deeper than that and I think we will eventually find out something common that helped it spread within the clusters. Im leaning towards "some source" acted like a petri dish and had lots of the virus active in the source and then by some mechanism like ventilation or plumbing or food, it was then transmitted to the people in the cluster. So as the wedding guests all either breathed or ate or flushed toilets or ran sink water and lets say germs at bottom of sink got aerosolized, then something along those lines allowed the guests to become infected from the same "thing".

Anyway, its just a theory I have been mulling over for some time.

I hope scientists can figure it out because if they can and there ends up being a common thing about the clusters then that can go a long ways to prevent new clusters.

"A pregnant woman and member of parliament are among 31 people who have tested positive for the coronavirus after attending a wedding."

At least 31 wedding guests catch coronavirus from Sydney ceremony of Emma Metcalf and Scott Maggs | Daily Mail Online

A couple of people sneezing would do pretty well on the dance floor or at a pair of banquet tables. Sneezing really propels the virus (in its smallest form) into the near environment (12 feet is the actual "safe" distance for a healthy person - but no one should stay near a sneezing person).

There are a lot of these clusters, actually - that whole family in New Jersey rapidly caught it, three are dead.

2-3 infected healthcare workers are pretty much responsible for the giant outbreak in Washington State. Often times, a whole family is infected, but none or few are symptomatic - they go to a wedding and infect all age ranges quickly. IMO.

People weren't washing their hands every few minutes at that wedding, they all touched common surfaces. People can't help touching their faces. That's why social events are being cancelled (by law in some places).

Bars have been a particular vector (think of all the germs on the tables and the bar itself, with increasing concentrations each day as new people track in more virus - hardly any disinfection techniques exist that don't involve closing the whole bar and doing deep cleaning/sanitization). Of course, closing the bar for a week should do it, too. Two weeks is beyond the known survival time of CoVid19 for hard surfaces (we can't know for sure but 2 weeks would start a new cycle right now if the bar reopened).

Also, since it is a virus, some forms are surely more virulent than others - viruses mutate more quickly than practically anything.

What a strange world. I’m going to fill my grandma’s hand sanitizer and disinfectant bottles because they ran out. I have a limited amount of things, but enough to share with grandma. They will be leaving the bottles on the porch for me. I feel like a pandemic Santa Clause. :D Ho ho ho and a merry quarantine. :D

Ridiculous, IMO, having the states in competition with the buying power of the federal (U & I) government. Means we are paying taxes to compete with the buying power of our own states, unless there is a hefty state tax, then it means we are subsidizing 2 entities in competition with each other for buying supplies. I notice that one of the people on the president's side denied that there was competition. I don't believe that for one moment.

Me too!

I want to support them. I really need them!

If I ever see $ from our government, that's where it's going - to businesses that are faltering. Husband and I are lucky to have jobs where we can both telecommute (although we are used to working overtime - and no one knows if that can continue).

I just wanted to say that it's a very nice thing (if you can afford it) to send a little cash in the direction of your favorite hairdresser or nail artist. My daughter and I are going to continue our monthly budgeted amount at our nail salon.

A few of my friends & I discussed this earlier, and plan to do so. We have a few other things in mind, I will advise as we firm up deets.

If you expect to continue to have services such as massage, you can maybe help your masseuse out with a little donation at this time. I figure if I can afford the luxury of nails once a month, I can afford to help out.

I just discussed this idea with friends, we have another plan in the works, I’ll advise once deets are firmed up.

They are apparently now asking private citizens to make masks. So get on sawing!
"EVANSVILLE, Ind. — Citing shortages, Deaconess Health System, including Henderson's Methodist Health, will ask the public Wednesday to sew face masks for staff fighting coronavirus."
Coronavirus: Deaconess will ask public to sew CDC-compliant face masks for staff

I saw this you tube video a few weeks ago of a theatre group in Hong Kong sewing masks for health care workers during the travels to and from work. They wanted to help given that the supply of masks was low, so they organized this effort.

I've been watching a NC company in the Research Triangle Park that produced a rapid test for Covid19.

Approved !!!!

COVID-19 IgM/IgG Rapid Test – BioMedomics Inc.

Precise
  • Works with whole blood, serum, & plasma
  • Tests for both IgM and IgG antibodies
  • Validated using PCR
Fast
  • 15 minutes per test
  • Intuitive visual interpretation
  • No special equipment needed

NOTE:
Updated USFDA guidance issued on March 16, 2020, allows the distribution of this product for diagnostic use in laboratories or by healthcare workers at the point-of-care. The updated policy can be viewed by clicking here. Please see FAQ’s below for more detailed information.

What a strange world. I’m going to fill my grandma’s hand sanitizer and disinfectant bottles because they ran out. I have a limited amount of things, but enough to share with grandma. They will be leaving the bottles on the porch for me. I feel like a pandemic Santa Clause. :D Ho ho ho and a merry quarantine. :D

Hubby came home other nite said his mom couldn’t get chicken. I was going out in the morn, got 2 large legs,2 large packs thighs and a whole chicken. 2 packs for her, I felt like a hoarder, wanted to scream it’s not all for me.

Wondering if ppl are buying extra freezers?

I feel fortunate to have a yard big enough o plant veggies. And also because of location, close to bay/ocean water, have friends that have property on bay, fishing, crabbing and oysters which we have here now. Meat is the concern, shouldn’t have a problem with that at this time, hubby is hunter so that helps.

Hoping ppl on ss are included in the pay out.

Embarrased to admit I was on line looking at garage freezers last night.

I had to tell myself that it would likely get filled with frozen pizzas and ice cream and I still wouldn't eat the healthier stuff in the regular freezer in the kitchen !!!

In my experience, yes. About 10 days ago my freezer in the garage died. Was old, so no surprise there. I tried to order one from Lowes and was told it would be delivered in approximately 2 months. Other areas may be different though.

Hi,

Sorry I’m so behind.

I hope it went well with your team member at the hospital last night.

Stalking your profile now to see update.

Eta:

:websleuther:

Remember that old emoji? That was a good one too @dixiegirl1035

Last edited:
I saw this you tube video a few weeks ago of a theatre group in Hong Kong sewing masks for health care workers during the travels to and from work. They wanted to help given that the supply of masks was low, so they organized this effort.

We have the pattern our hospitals want here, though.

Deaconess - How to make a Face Mask

ETA - or at least this hospital. Plus, the CDC is going to upload something.

WASHINGTON

King County to site Temporary Field Hospital at Shoreline B Soccer Field
Post Date:03/18/2020 2:50 pm
King County, in partnership with the City of Shoreline and the Shoreline School District, has selected Shoreline B Soccer Field as the location of a temporary field hospital used for people exposed to, at risk of exposure, or becoming ill with the novel coronavirus. The majority of the County’s residents will isolate and recover in their own homes. King County is creating field hospitals at multiple locations throughout the county for those who cannot safely remain in their own homes without compromising the health of other family members, or do not have a home.

News | City of Shoreline

Re: Clusters, could it be breath transmitting it? Like getting too close to speak with a person that has a weak voice due to respiratory issues? Leaning in to hear or speak to someone would almost be direct F2F contact.
Or a cluster gathered to smoke,all inhaling/exhaling?

What a waste of tests.....meanwhile critical patients dont have test.....anc they may catch it tomorrow.

Houston residents are waiting in a line more than a mile long as drive-thru testing for the new coronavirus begins. Officials warn there aren't enough kits or protective gear to meet demand. Houston pleads for more tests, gear as cars pack hospital

The free testing was announced this morning, and I questioned then how this could possibly work out well.
Free coronavirus testing begins Thursday in Houston

And now we know....not good. :(
For the record, this is not one of the main medical centers in our Houston community. I had to google it to figure out where it was as I had never heard of it.

Hope everyone is doing as well as they can.

JMO
One thought I have been having today is I really think scientists should try to figure out why certain "clusters" blow up. I have had a theory for some time now that there is something unique about when these clusters blow up. At bottom is an example of 31 people catching the virus just because they went to a wedding. That is a huge number of people catching it from one place in a short amount of time.

I have no idea what could be causing such a major cluster outbreak. I dont know if there is a certain strain that is more catching or if there is a medium like food or air ventilation or plumbing or something like that that could be causing some large breakouts. I do think certain clusters are occurring more than a typical person to person catching, and I think there is something unique about it that causes the cluster to blow up.

We have seen quite a few clusters now and some of them like the nursing home in Washington state they claimed was the vaporizing due to them using a bad method at first to help the patients breathe and were inadvertently putting the virus in the air. But even in that cluster I am not so sure anymore because we have seen other clusters breakout and it seems super contagious more than a typical person to person spread. I am leaning towards three possible things. Either a food source becomes infected and then is given to the people in the cluster or maybe the air ventilation systems that somehow gets piped into and out of all the rooms from an infected source, thus maybe sharing air particles from room to room. Or maybe even plumbing systems that can aerosolize the particles when flushing comodes or simply spraying water out a faucets nozzle with a stream that aerosolizes it. Or maybe even possibly a certain strain that is more contagious than others. Wait, that is 4 options. LOL I have no idea but I do think it is something that needs to be determined because I do think there is a common link in how the clusters are catching it so badly.

I think we have yet to figure out what is causing certain clusters to blow up.

This cluster in this news article below is an example of a mystery cluster. 31 people that attended a wedding ended up catching it. They could not have been there longer than 1/2 day or so and yet 31 people got it. That is a rather large cluster breakout. Something is unique about that IMO.

Im not convinced yet that it was simply person to person causing the big cluster outbreak. I think it is deeper than that and I think we will eventually find out something common that helped it spread within the clusters. Im leaning towards "some source" acted like a petri dish and had lots of the virus active in the source and then by some mechanism like ventilation or plumbing or food, it was then transmitted to the people in the cluster. So as the wedding guests all either breathed or ate or flushed toilets or ran sink water and lets say germs at bottom of sink got aerosolized, then something along those lines allowed the guests to become infected from the same "thing".

Anyway, its just a theory I have been mulling over for some time.

I hope scientists can figure it out because if they can and there ends up being a common thing about the clusters then that can go a long ways to prevent new clusters.

"A pregnant woman and member of parliament are among 31 people who have tested positive for the coronavirus after attending a wedding."

At least 31 wedding guests catch coronavirus from Sydney ceremony of Emma Metcalf and Scott Maggs | Daily Mail Online
Earlier someone posted a link which said that the cruise ship outbreaks came from lowly-paid food handlers preparing all that showy food on the ship. Maybe the same thing happened at the wedding. The caterer may have been less than meticulously clean, or their helpers were. We've all seen the data where the life of the virus is quite long depending on the surface it lands on. A wedding dinner could easily have had plates, bowls, contaminated. Even on Stainless Steel, IIRC, the virus lasts up to 8 hours. Plastic, glass, copper in the same range, up to 6-8 hours.

The following study refers to "days", assuming it acts like already studied earlier corona viruses. I'm not at all surprised that clusters are turning up. If a whole wedding party got food poisoning from old mayo or bad shrimp, no one would be surprised.

Warning there is a lot of variability in these estimates according to the source, but the ones I've come across all say = long time. Here’s how long the coronavirus will last on surfaces, and how to disinfect those surfaces. | Live Science

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80