Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
But how many people are positive who are not getting tested? No matter what anyone says, minorities are usually the last ones who would be tested, along with the homeless population. That is the problem.
@mickey2942 if everyone gets tested, imo they will need to go on house arrest, with a bracelet. Otherwise it is a moot point, imo. How many have already had a negative test and now are positive? If a person gets tested today at noon, but stops at a drive in for a burger on his way home, he might get a negative result tomorrow, yet be positive after stopping for a burger. There is no end to it, unless a person is forced to stay in indefinitely. One trip out or contact with anyone means exposure. Moo
We must live as if everyone is positive. The homeless sector is probably highly infected but not interested in testing, or completely unaware of the crisis. Moo

Oh look, an article by our buddy Kevin Torres who helped cover Dylan Redwine’s case - remember some members even had a crush on him.

Glad to see an article from him. He was invaluable during that time.

What grocery store employees should be doing to stay safe

““Folks that are purchasing things from grocery stores need to be washing those items and if there is any doubt - they should cook those items before they eat them."”

[...]

“When it comes to grocery store employees using gloves to touch produce and other items right now, Kellerman referred to the practice as a 'double-edged sword.'

“Gloves often times bring about a sense of safety where there’s not,” Kellerman explained. “So people can touch parts of their body, their face, things like that. With gloves on, people think they’re safer than they are”.

As far as concerns over handling produce go, Kellerman said the following:

“If you have an orange or avocado for example, where there’s a peel on the outside, the risks are no different than touching any food contact space that could make you sick. So your kitchen counter would be no more dangerous than an avocado,” Kellerman explained. "For something like an apple, strawberry, something where you don’t peel the skin - you want to be more careful. But washing [them] should be able to take care of any threat”.”

I’m part of a huge payroll page where we share ideas and info. I have lost count of the number of inquiries about what to do if the employer can’t afford to keep paying people.

Each state has their own rules/laws about final pay, vacation payout, benefit continuation, employee loans, etc. Employers are shuttering their small businesses in huge numbers. If no one pays for the service they provide, regardless of industry, employees are the first to go.

Salary and wages are one of the highest expenses for a business. I don’t know how anyone, much less our leaders, can expect people to remain calm, when their ability to survive is yanked out from under them with no notice.

I truly fear for our people. I hope the suicide hotline, child abuse hotline and domestic abuse hotline are all manned 24/7. It’s getting ugly already.
I share your worry. I was wondering about whether people will see those checks soon. Still working it out...Stimulus checks: Congress resumes talk on proposing $1,200 per person, $2,400 for couples under US coronavirus relief plan

Ita, no one will ever know how many recovered (or not) before the first ‘diagnosed’ case, imo. The big thing is if one recovers, will they have immunity & for how long.....stay tuned. I think this is here to stay, even with a vaccine, it will be like the flu, some will still get it. A lot of us won’t take a vaccine or won’t be able to for med reasons.
Moving forward, everyone has to be more aware, I think.
I’ll think twice about large gatherings like concerts, rodeos, festivals, etc. knowing how it hangs on stainless steel, I doubt I’ll ever be interested in dining out, I’m not fond of dirty menus, dirty towels used to wipe things down merely transferring crud from one table to the next.

The conversations I've had with viral laboratory scientists and epidemiologists say that the immune response to SARS-CoV-2 is not like something they've seen before and they are not certain that it will follow the usual path of antibody production.

Do you ever wondery why SARS and MERS just disappeared without causing a pandemic?

Because these coronavirus strains had mutations develop in their DNA in the infectivity regions that caused them to become unable to survive long enough to infect widely and the strains and hence their disease died out quickly. As these viruses were very geographically isolated, that meant there was not enough transmission through travel to maintain the epidemics.

Isolation is really the key to outliving these viruses.

Coronaviruses are very subject to significant mutations.

Last edited:
Mayo Clinic Laboratories has expanded its COVID-19 testing capacity, so its Rochester facility is now working around the clock to conduct up to 3,000 tests a day for Mayo patients and patients at eight Minnesota health care centers.

Mayo Clinic Labs ramp up for round-the-clock COVID-19 testing | West Central Tribune
That is directly the result of the FDA approving the Roche Cobas testing protocol for the automated testing on their instruments. That FDA approval was about 7 days ago, if I recall right.

FDA Approves Roche’s Coronavirus Test Under Emergency Use Authorization | BioSpace

This means that laboratories that use the Roche Cobas instruments and platform can be expected to validate and use this assay; soon.

That Roche system is geared towards high-v0lume laboratories so large hospitals in major cities should also be able to test in house when they can get the validation done on their instrument.

Of course, it also means that Roche has to gear up dramatically to keep up with the accelerating demand for this reagent system. Suppply/demand is still the issue, so having some sort of screening to test the most appropriate or highest-risk patients and healthcare providers still needs to be in place

The real problem for Canada is going to be the Snowbirds. Geez, at a Florida Panthers game (NHL), it is the only place ever, where no one roots for the home team. Every one is wearing their maple leaf jerseys, singing "Hail Canada", it feels like being in Montreal.

Not just Canada. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and we have many, many residents go south for the winter. We do not have any cases of COVID-19 yet but are worried that will change when the Snowbirds return. I'm sure that other northern states will have returning Snowbirds as well.

NJ

The state’s first mass testing center for coronavirus was declared to be at capacity minutes after opening Saturday as hundreds stood in line for the site’s second day of operation.

Police began turning people away from drive-thru testing at Bergen County Community College in Paramus less than 15 minutes after it opened at 8 a.m., more than seven hours before it was scheduled to close at 4 p.m.

“There are no more tests,” officers announced through megaphones. “Come back tomorrow.”

Bergen coronavirus testing center declared at capacity 15 minutes after opening Saturday
Jeez..that many feel as if they have it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419