Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Wal-Mart from 6am to 7am.

I ventured out this morning at 6. Five minutes into my trip to Wal-Mart I encounter a mom with 3 kids.
Just as I pass the canned tomatoes, the two year old throws up. Yeap, mom keeps shopping and I hear an employee offer to get her immediately checked out. The mom said, no thanks and kept shopping. This mom is one row behind me, as I rush to grab stuff and leave. The kid or maybe another kid throws up AGAIN. As I'm heading to the checkout, I see what appears to be a manager arguing with the mom.

I wasn't happy. I realize stores can ask customers to allow over 65 to shop special hours but can not refuse others entry.

Am I wrong to be upset with this mother who choose to put others at risk?

For another perspective... we never really know someone else's story. Maybe she had an emergency herself. I prefer to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Do the stores in your area have early hours for seniors?
Yes, but the shelves are empty, no eggs, milk, etc. I am fortunate that I drive and can get to the store. Some of my neighbors cannot. Even though I am in my seventies I am trying to help by getting items for them when I can, but even with doing that, people in line behind me make comments about me hoarding, which I am not doing. This is something many of my neighbors say we are dealing with, anger towards one another instead of kindness and understanding.

I feel for those who no longer have an income coming in. If we do not get our country up and running again, we will have many people suffering not just from the virus, but mentally. Closing businesses for a short while I can agree with, and trying to keep our distance, but this cannot be for months. The long term suffering will be more than just from the virus. JMO

Checkin in. This would be week 4 of quarantine for my family and surprisingly I am enjoying our "new" life. More flexible daily schedule, no late mtgs for my husband, no waiting up for my daughter to come home from work, no 20,000 freshman teens hanging out at our house (Yes, that number is exaggerated but my fridge was always depleted of food after an invasion of my son's friends) . Hope all is well with all of you..

This is a very cool site. I have been having fun with this :)

Psst! Take Your Kids On Virtual Rides While Disney Parks Are Closed Due To COVID-19

Do the stores in your area have early hours for seniors?

Mine do. As a result I've told my almost 94 year old mother she will probably go nowhere ever again. (We laughed). If it was the last hour of the day instead of the first I might have a chance. She is not a morning person at all. I'm not either but I can force myself out if need be. Jmo

I’m not sure if this has already been posted (it’s hard to keep up on the ongoing threads) but bill gates made a powerful speech which I needed to hear at this moment in time... if nothing else it gives us hope and reflection at a very dark time.

A SPIRITUAL PURPOSE’
“I’m a strong believer that there is a spiritual purpose behind everything that happens, whether that is what we perceive as being good or being bad.

“As I meditate upon this, I want to share with you what I feel the Corona/ Covid-19 virus is really doing to us.

1) It is reminding us that we are all equal, regardless of our culture, religion, occupation, financial situation or how famous we are. This disease treats us all equally, perhaps we should to.

If you don’t believe me, just ask Tom Hanks.

2) It is reminding us that we are all connected and something that affects one person has an effect on another.

It is reminding us that the false borders that we have put up have little value as this virus does not need a passport.

It is reminding us, by oppressing us for a short time, of those in this world whose whole life is spent in oppression.

3) It is reminding us of how precious our health is and how we have moved to neglect it through eating nutrient poor manufactured food and drinking water that is contaminated with chemicals upon chemicals.

If we don’t look after our health, we will, of course, get sick.

4) It is reminding us of the shortness of life and of what is most important for us to do, which is to help each other, especially those who are old or sick.

Our purpose is not to buy toilet roll.

5) It is reminding us of how materialistic our society has become and how, when in times of difficulty, we remember that it’s the essentials that we need (food, water, medicine) as opposed to the luxuries that we sometimes unnecessarily give value to.

6) It is reminding us of how important our family and home life is and how much we have neglected this.

It is forcing us back into our houses so we can rebuild them into our home and to strengthen our family unit.

‘OUR TRUE WORK’
7) It is reminding us that our true work is not our job, that is what we do, not what we were created to do.

Our true work is to look after each other, to protect each other and to be of benefit to one another.

8) It is reminding us to keep our egos in check.

It is reminding us that no matter how great we think we are or how great others think we are, a virus can bring our world to a standstill.

9) It is reminding us that the power of freewill is in our hands.

We can choose to cooperate and help each other, to share, to give, to help and to support each other or we can choose to be selfish, to hoard, to look after only our self.

Indeed, it is difficulties that bring out our true colours.

10) It is reminding us that we can be patient, or we can panic.

We can either understand that this type of situation has happened many times before in history and will pass, or we can panic and see it as the end of the world and, consequently, cause ourselves more harm than good.

11) It is reminding us that this can either be an end or a new beginning.

This can be a time of reflection and understanding, where we learn from our mistakes, or it can be the start of a cycle which will continue until we finally learn the lesson we are meant to.

12) It is reminding us that this Earth is sick.

It is reminding us that we need to look at the rate of deforestation just as urgently as we look at the speed at which toilet rolls are disappearing off of shelves. We are sick because our home is sick.

13) It is reminding us that after every difficulty, there is always ease.

Life is cyclical, and this is just a phase in this great cycle. We do not need to panic; this too shall pass.

14) Whereas many see the Corona/ Covid-19 virus as a great disaster, I prefer to see it as a *great corrector*

Excellent, thank you

Workforce Texas helping Texans find work:
Workforce Solutions Capital Area on Twitter

"For Austin's job seekers: Allied Universal is hiring 100 Emergency Response Team Members. No experience required & training available. Pay starts at $17" hourly.

"Employers can submit Mass Claims: basic worker information on behalf of their employees to initiate claims for #unemployment benefits."
1f449.svg

[Start here] → https://apps.twc.state.tx.us/EBS/security/logon.do You can get started 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

1f4b2.svg

Check out the job posting on http://WorkInTexas.com or call us at 512.485.3792! #WorkingInAustin #StandWithAustin

We don't have enough PPEs even for medical professionals. We don't have enough tests to monitor the outbreak. I am very curious how we can restore economic activity under these conditions.

Yes.

Let's not mistake the Priority: Getting adquate Personal Protective Equipment and Medical Equipment and Medications AND no impediments to testing.

No, they are not shut down, to answer my question (at least not in Iowa, unless there are outbreaks). Iowa Governor: ‘Shelter in Place’ Order is Still Not Needed So what is there to resume in these areas?
Nebraska is not shut down, but tightly curtailed. We are under a 10 person max for restaurants, bars, 6 ft distance for theaters. Because our businesses can't operate, many have closed indefinitely. Most of our cases have come from travel to other areas where the virus is more prevalent. We were a state with very low unemployment, now we have many without jobs or a future of jobs if the business don't reopen soon. We are testing using the necessary criteria, logically, not everyone needs to be tested. For those with symptoms, they are testing for influenza, if negative and the rest of the symptoms are consistent with travel to other states, or close proximity to outbreaks, we are presumed to have the virus, and sent home to monitor our illness. Nothing overboard, and as such our health system isn't overwhelmed. I don't understand why everyone wants to be tested. We know people imagine they have all sorts of illnesses just because they read it on the internet and a light bulb goes off - of that's what I have mentality. Many colds and flu also have common symptoms with C19, but people are going to assume they have C19 because of the hysteria.

MOO

Aw, HELL NO.

The manager can't possibly be happy with this. They probably should have closed down and disinfected the store, based upon responses we've been seeing other companies having and shoppers self-reporting; and maybe they did, thus losing valuable shopping time.

They have a big machine that vacuums and disinfect the area. They closed the isle but she just moved to the next isle.

I’m surprised my small Texas town is taking this as seriously as it is. The governor hasn’t put a shelter in place for the state but our mayor has. No one is out except running, walking and riding bikes (not in groups). Our grocery store is limiting amount of people in store and line is maintained by police for people to be far apart. Our library and city buildings were already closed before the shelter in place and people are generally adhering to the orders. I’m pleasantly surprised because we Texans don’t always think things pertain to us. :rolleyes:

Your little bit is now safe and sound at home....thank God. We have a 12 year old little bit in Atlanta on a ventilator fighting for her life. They could have shut the schools down sooner....but they didnt.

Henry, I am thinking about your little bit and hope she makes a full recovery. I am so sorry to hear this. I missed a quite a few posts and got behind so if I am late in this message, I apologize.

Thank you for all you do on this tread. I appreciate you.

Yes, Wal-Mart from 6am to 7am.

I ventured out this morning at 6. Five minutes into my trip to Wal-Mart I encounter a mom with 3 kids.
Just as I pass the canned tomatoes, the two year old throws up. Yeap, mom keeps shopping and I hear an employee offer to get her immediately checked out. The mom said, no thanks and kept shopping. This mom is one row behind me, as I rush to grab stuff and leave. The kid or maybe another kid throws up AGAIN. As I'm heading to the checkout, I see what appears to be a manager arguing with the mom.

I wasn't happy. I realize stores can ask customers to allow over 65 to shop special hours but can not refuse others entry.

Am I wrong to be upset with this mother who choose to put others at risk?

OMG! I would have been livid :mad: What is wrong with people? Does this mother not know what is happening? Her child/children are obviously ill and should not have been at Walmart - or any other store. Whether they are infected with COVID-19 or a flu, they are putting others in danger.

Last edited:
Homemade cloth masks cannot replace N95 respirators for health care workers -- but the idea is that cloth masks could help those respirators last longer at a time when healthcare workers are being asked to reuse them Peopleare sewing coronavirus masks for hospitals facing dire shortage - CNN
CNN International on Twitter

A local nurse here started a group to make a specific Cover for n95 masks. But the group got out of control with hundreds of people making their own stuff that would never be accepted or worn by a medical professional. One was coffee filters and rubber bands. They had one mask pattern to use that is all. Not that hard.

There was also an influx of people claiming their nurse wife or husband needed these. And to mail the cover masks to them. Betcha these will end up on eBay.

I was glad to see our stores reserving times for our seniors to shop. I did not expect to see this when checking the hours we can shop at specific stores. I feel like crying you all :(

Coronavirus: Clark County groceries reserve special hours for seniors, at-risk to shop
A Facebook post by the Clark County sheriff’s office highlighted some of the stores with the special shopping hours while another post explained deputies — some in uniform and others undercover — would be posted at every grocery store in the city of Springfield and throughout the county.

Sheriff Deb Burchett told the Springfield News-Sun that was in response to reports of elderly people being treated poorly in stores in the area.

“I’ve received several messages from the public and from managers of the stores saying that the elderly people are being shoved around,” Burchett said. “People have been trying to steal out of their baskets. They’re trying to take their purses out in the parking lot, and I thought, ‘We can’t have this for our community. We’re better than that.’ So I decided that I would post an officer at every one of the stores when the elderly and at-risk are going into get their groceries to let them know we’re here for them whatever they need.

Thank you Sheriff Deb Burchett

There is a real stand-up Sheriff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members