Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just popping in again. Haven’t read all the myriad of posts so this information may already have been given. My apologies if that is the case.

MOO only. In my hubby’s line of work they have a term “best practices,” to ensure safety during all operations. We use it here at home to ensure staying as germ free as possible :)

During a two year immune problem, my SO routinely flushed his sinuses after being out in public. If I sensed a cold coming on, so did I. Social distancing is nothing new for him just like others who have a compromised immune system. On his 70th birthday last month, his sister purchased a Navage System for him, which is the Cadillac of sinus cleansing, IMHO. Prior to that, we used a 10cc syringe, which many pharmacists will give you when you explain what you’re using it for. There’s also the Netty Pot which is another cheap alternative. The advantage to the Navage is the the water flows in and is essentially “vacuumed” out :). Personally, I love the thing! No, I have absolutely no affiliation to, or stocks in, the company. Wish I did! Just passing along my personal experience. My husband hasn’t even used it. He likes his syringe, but then again his sinuses are much larger than mine :)

Unfortunately, with the Navage system you are locked into the manufacturer as you must use their saline pods and this can be too expensive for some, but thankfully there are cheaper solutions for everyone! Put a 1/4 tsp of salt in a cup of warm water to dissolve. Iodized salt is likely best as iodine is a disinfectant. We use Himalayan salt and add a drop of Lugol’s solution for the syringe. I’ve been in self-isolation since returning from the US and flush daily. I will continue once my isolation is over. If I have to go shopping or whatever, I’m aware Covid 19 is still being carried by other asymptomatic people, and if I didn’t get it in the US, I could get it here :)

All MOO. Mods delete if not allowed. Thank you!

Thanks to all here posting valuable information! I think Canada is about to invoke the Quarantine Act, if it hasn’t already. MOO.

ETA: In response to OP’s, either distilled water or boiled and cooled water should be used. MOO, I have never made myself sicker by flushing my sinuses.

Last edited:
The virology people I work with tell me this is a lousy, useless test with very poor specificity and is very prone to bad collection techniques.

Here is what the Australian Public Health agency said about these Point-of-Care Rapid serologic tests for SARS-C0V-2

PHLN agrees that there is a need to explore new testing approaches to remain agile and at the

forefront of emerging testing technology. However, there are concerns about the quality and

clinical utility of rapidly developed tests.

There are significant limitations to the use of point-of-care serology tests and they are not

recommended as first line tests for the diagnosis of acute viral infection.

If used properly by a trained medical professional, validated serological point of care tests have

some utility in determining past infection for screening purposes e.g. return to work.

PHLN strongly recommends that
PHLN agrees that there is a need to explore new testing approaches to remain agile and at the

forefront of emerging testing technology. However, there are concerns about the quality and

clinical utility of rapidly developed tests.

There are significant limitations to the use of point-of-care serology tests and they are not

recommended as first line tests for the diagnosis of acute viral infection.

If used properly by a trained medical professional, validated serological point of care tests have

some utility in determining past infection for screening purposes e.g. return to work.

PHLN strongly recommends that validation of emerging tests be undertaken by an Australian

PHLN laboratory (or another government approved laboratory) before they are approved for

use, or through post market assessment, whichever is applicable. A mechanism to urgently

validate emerging tests is under consideration, however will require government support.

PHLN urges that emerging testing technologies are rigorously evaluated prior to use, to

safeguard Australia’s world-class testing capability for COVID-19 and ensure that the highest

quality testing technology is available to support the Australian community.

of emerging tests be undertaken by an Australian

PHLN laboratory (or another government approved laboratory) before they are approved for

use, or through post market assessment, whichever is applicable. A mechanism to urgently

validate emerging tests is under consideration, however will require government support.

PHLN urges that emerging testing technologies are rigorously evaluated prior to use, to

safeguard Australia’s world-class testing capability for COVID-19 and ensure that the highest

quality testing technology is available to support the Australian community."

So here are important issues:
1. The test is being released only because of the pandemic emergency

2. Being released does not mean it is proven to be accurate, or specific. The governmental agencies are requiring the manufacturer supply the data within 12 months.

3. It should NOT be used as a primary means of detection. (But you can see that it will INDEED, be snapped up and treated as such)

4. It cannot distinguish between any of the coronavirus types. Hence, false positives.

5. It's dependent on good technique with a quality sample.
Hence, false negatives

The problem is that the question this test is being asked to answer is far far more complex medically than a regular fingerstick glucose done by diabetics. The diabetic test is only measureing one thing: Glucose, a relatively simple chemical that is easily assayed in the blood and that we have a lot of experience with. And even those tests have very specific limits when we know they are not accurate: like when the patient is shocky, or hypothermic, or has a trama or hemorrhage situation.

Trying to apply the same technology to a very large molecule of immunoglobulin is very technically difficult and really limited when bad techniques are use.

Buyer beware. It's just not the answer.

I hope the stimulus checks are staggered. Think of the stampede if everyone gets a check on the same day. Stampede=spread, imo.
Didn’t think of that!!
Would have to deposit in ATM or via online banking here - now you are not allowed inside the branch without an appointment and it must be an emergency need.

A treat for Jackson Browne fans like me...or for anyone...to enjoy...

Shortly after testing positive for COVID-19, Jackson Browne dropped a new song, “A Little Soon to Say.” The track will be available digitally on Friday, March 27th, and is featured on his upcoming album, slated for October 9th.

“I wanna see you holding out your light/I wanna see you light the way,” he sings over a subtle, sparkling arrangement. “But whether everything will be alright/It’s just a little soon to say.”

“A Little Soon to Say” was actually written prior to the coronavirus pandemic, but Browne thought it appropriate to release now. “I thought, ‘Just do that now,’ ” he tells Rolling Stone. “Just put it out now while these things are so uncertain.”

Music at link:
Jackson Browne Drops 'A Little Soon to Say' to Help Us Through COVID-19
B e a u t i f u l ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

THANKS Trudie, I wish I had common sense like you. You sure have opened my eyes.

Lol, some think I’m too paranoid. I can’t tell you how many Xs I’ve entered a restaurant, only to become repulsed & exit hastily.
Really, the outbreak of a virus does not surprise me, considering how filthy our society really is. When did it become acceptable to sneeze/cough in public, lick fingers & touch things, allow kids to run wild touching “adult” things (I doubt soda dispensers were designed to entertain kids). Think of a buffet, even though one is to get a clean plate for each pass, many don’t. So the serving spoon then touches where their fork touched after being in mouth.....
Wait staff touch their hair & faces non stop. Next time you’re in a restaurant (should they ever open) look around. We know gas station/store clerks take out the trash, clean restrooms, then make coffee.
So, what can be done to ensure safety?

Just popping in again. Haven’t read all the myriad of posts so this information may already have been given. My apologies if that is the case.

MOO only. In my hubby’s line of work they have a term “best practices,” to ensure safety during all operations. We use it here at home to ensure staying as germ free as possible :)

During a two year immune problem, my SO routinely flushed his sinuses after being out in public. If I sensed a cold coming on, so did I. Social distancing is nothing new for him just like others who have a compromised immune system. On his 70th birthday last month, his sister purchased a Navage System for him, which is the Cadillac of sinus cleansing, IMHO. Prior to that, we used a 10cc syringe, which many pharmacists will give you when you explain what you’re using it for. There’s also the Netty Pot which is another cheap alternative. The advantage to the Navage is the the water flows in and is essentially “vacuumed” out :). Personally, I love the thing! No, I have absolutely no affiliation to, or stocks in, the company. Wish I did! Just passing along my personal experience. My husband hasn’t even used it. He likes his syringe, but then again his sinuses are much larger than mine :)

I recently read an Infectious Disease expert's comments that said using a nasal wash system, like Netti Pot was a really bad idea because it just forced the viral particles in the nasal passenges farther back into the back of the throat or sinuses and essentially keep "re-inoculating" the area.

But I would have thought otherwise. I would have thought that a Netti pot would be useful for the COVID-19 infecctions, as I find it quite helpful when I have one of the usual rhinorrhea, nasal congestion, sinus pain colds.

Last edited:
Lol, some think I’m too paranoid. I can’t tell you how many Xs I’ve entered a restaurant, only to become repulsed & exit hastily.
Really, the outbreak of a virus does not surprise me, considering how filthy our society really is. When did it become acceptable to sneeze/cough in public, lick fingers & touch things, allow kids to run wild touching “adult” things (I doubt soda dispensers were designed to entertain kids). Think of a buffet, even though one is to get a clean plate for each pass, many don’t. So the serving spoon then touches where their fork touched after being in mouth.....
Wait staff touch their hair & faces non stop. Next time you’re in a restaurant (should they ever open) look around. We know gas station/store clerks take out the trash, clean restrooms, then make coffee.
So, what can be done to ensure safety?
Normally our immune systems take care of it. Living in absolute sterility wouldn't allow our immune systems to develop. Covid is a novel virus so we have no immunity to it.

I recently read an Infectious Disease expert's comments that said using a nasal wash system, like Netti Pot was a really bad idea because it just forced the viral particles in the nasal passenges farther back into the back of the throat or sinuses and essentially keep "re-inoculating" the area.
Also, important point, you can not use un-boiled tap water with your neti pots. Some people have died using tap water in their neti pots from deadly amoeba.

I'm a New Yorker, high risk and 62 years old. Confined to a small apartment in an utterly locked down NYC. I posted this in the Gannon thread, and several posters asked me to bring this here. I hope it is helpful. I haven't read the Coronavirus thread at all, but I'm sure there have been a million helpful posts already. The post:

I used to teach Elie Wiesel's memoir, Night, and sometimes would arrange for elderly Holocaust survivors to speak to our eighth-graders. They endured such unspeakable atrocities, and lost their entire families to truly depraved acts of murder.

So many things that we've learned from them have made a deep impression on my students and me. I have Holocaust survivors in my family, (as well as some who were killed in my grandmother's generation), and still study about the Holocaust now. But one particular sentence from an ancient Holocaust survivor caught my attention. She said, "there's nothing so wonderful as a boring day."

Think about that. How wonderful would a boring day, nothing special happening, have been for Gannon's parents? For Chloe's family on the ship? For the families of every missing or murdered child?

I am reminded of that Holocaust survivor now, because I keep complaining to my family and friends about how bored I am trapped in my apartment during coronavirus. It flashed into my mind, though---how wonderful it is to have a boring day! That means nothing awful has happened! I'd certainly rather be safe and bored at home than to be in a hospital, sick with the virus and struggling to breathe.

So let's thank God that we here are not afflicted with something that has us in the ICU, and let's thank God that we are not identifying our children, and stay home and stay safe until this crisis is over, whenever that may be.

Good health and courage to all my fellow Websleuthers, to the mods, and pray for the health care workers and first responders.

Thank you for this - I’ve saved a screenshot to read to my Dad when we talk tomorrow morning.
It really is wonderful to have a boring day.

WV CASES
Updated: 03/24/2020

39 Total Positive Cases

759 Total Negative Cases

0 Total Deaths

6 Tests Pending*

NOTE: All test results, including those processed through hospitals and commercial laboratories, are reportable to DHHR and are included in the positive and negative case counts. *Tests pending only includes those tests processed through the state public health lab.

Counties with positive cases: Berkeley (2), Harrison (3), Jackson (2), Jefferson (3), Kanawha (4), Marshall (2), Mercer (2), Monongalia (16), Preston (1), Putnam (1), Tucker (2), Wood (1)

DHHR.WV.GOV

Last edited:
I was out for another run today. Again seen lots of runners and cyclists. And everyone kept their distance! There is something nice about seeing so many use the park for exercise now. But obviously it's in terrible circumstances.
I also did some exercises at home, some sit ups, press ups, squats and lunges.
I really need to get a good routine on the go as won't be at the gym for a long time. I have my yoga mat but haven't did a sesh myself yet, I normally go to a class. But that is something I can do at home.
I know some if you may think this is trivial but exercise is really important for my well-being and lots of other people I'm sure.
What is everyone else doing exercise wise during all this?

Thank you for this - I’ve saved a screenshot to read to my Dad when we talk tomorrow morning.
It really is wonderful to have a boring day.

I'm so grateful that you feel it will help your Dad. It's another blessing then, that this Holocaust survivor's words are helping people today. Her words have certainly inspired me, and are so relevant to encouraging us now.

Another drug in testing for virus management

"Roche has collaborated with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to conduct a Phase III clinical trial of Actemra/RoActemra (tocilizumab) in hospitalised adults with severe Covid-19 pneumonia.

Actemra/RoActemra is an anti-IL-6 receptor biologic approved to treat moderate-to-severe active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in adults.

Earlier this month, Roche received Chinese approval for the use of the drug to treat patients developing severe complications from Covid-19.

The new randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled Phase III trial will be conducted in alliance with the US Health and Human Services’ Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA)."​

Roche to start Phase III trial of Actemra in Covid-19 patients

I was out for another run today. Again seen lots of runners and cyclists. And everyone kept their distance! There is something nice about seeing so many use the park for exercise now. But obviously it's in terrible circumstances.
I also did some exercises at home, some sit ups, press ups, squats and lunges.
I really need to get a good routine on the go as won't be at the gym for a long time. I have my yoga mat but haven't did a sesh myself yet, I normally go to a class. But that is something I can do at home.
I know some if you may think this is trivial but exercise is really important for my well-being and lots of other people I'm sure.
What is everyone else doing exercise wise during all this?
Walking from the chair to the fridge here....:eek::oops:
I'm so sorry, I had too!:D
But you are right; REAL exercise is so important for the mind and body.

A true spirit you are!!! I do not know one person, personally, that would do this at all!!! And , IMHO, I do not think there are many people that would even consider this! I just want to say THANK YOU!
DH got laid off over a month ago. Signed up on unemployment benefits, but still have not received any payments. Now with this virus upheaving everything, we do not expect to get anything in the near future either. Wish we had the extra savings to help others, but just like the majority of the country, we, too, are struggling and will continue to do so.
Just thank you so much for doing this for others. So many families struggle daily, but with this mess, they are probably at Rock bottom!

ETA: With the backstory, we do not look for handouts or even want any type of pity. WE ARE BLESSED and I know this! My family knows who provides for us! And we will continue to look to Him for blessings!

Thank you @BHughes. You’re very kind. I like to think many would think of donating their check if it’s not needed...either to family in need or charities. It’s very hard to see hard-working people suddenly heading off a financial cliff through no fault of their own. I agree with your ETA...I believe that the One who provides for us does so partly through those He moves to give...we just need to heed that inner nudge. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawless311