Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #37

Little did reporter Alice Stockton-Rossini know when she began covering the coronovirus outbreak in New York that she would unwittingly bring the germs home to Ship Bottom and infect members of her family and community, including her 90-year-old mother.

“I was covering the story as this coronavirus was marching towards reality,” said Stockton-Rossini, who was on the front lines, reporting on the rapidly developing COVID-19 for NBC. “I went on the air saying I don’t think it’s going to be that bad,” she said, regrettably. “I was telling people, ‘I know this is serious, but more people die of the flu,’ and I don’t want to be part of the media that gets blamed for making a big deal out of nothing.”

She paused, soberly. “And before I knew it … oh my God. It became what it is.”

Ship Bottom Family Battles Coronavirus, Demands Testing | The SandPaper

Two Women Dead; LBI Health Officials Link Spread of COVID-19 to Birthday Party | The SandPaper

On March 8, 25 people attended the 90th birthday party for Jackie Stockton of Ship Bottom in Barnegat Light. The next day, she became ill and was eventually hospitalized after falling down the stairs at her home and spiking a 102-degree fever, her daughter, Alice Stockton-Rossini has said. She tested positive for COVID-19 in the hospital.

Last edited:
In Coronavirus, Industry Sees Chance to Undo Plastic Bag Bans
They are “petri dishes for bacteria and carriers of harmful pathogens,” read one warning from a plastics industry group. They are “virus-laden.”

The group’s target? The reusable shopping bags that countless of Americans increasingly use instead of disposable plastic bags.

The plastic bag industry, battered by a wave of bans nationwide, is using the coronavirus crisis to try to block laws prohibiting single-use plastic. “We simply don’t want millions of Americans bringing germ-filled reusable bags into retail establishments putting the public and workers at risk,” an industry campaign that goes by the name Bag the Ban warned on Tuesday, quoting a Boston Herald column outlining some of the group’s talking points.

[...]

BBM: Reusable bags have already been disallowed at my local grocery store.
They make a good point, Imo. But paper bags would be better. We only have one or two stores that use paper bags now.

On the basis of a case definition requiring a diagnosis of pneumonia, the currently reported case fatality rate is approximately 2%.4 In another article in the Journal, Guan et al.5 report mortality of 1.4% among 1099 patients with laboratory-confirmed Covid-19; these patients had a wide spectrum of disease severity. If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.2

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

Gen. James C. McConville: "As of this morning, the Army has 288 confirmed cases of COVID-19. A hundred are soldiers, 64 are Department of the Army civilians, 65 are dependents, 9 are cadets, and 50 are Army contractors." The Hill on Twitter
The Hill on Twitter

just my opinion (not necessarily pointing to this article) - I don’t like the idea of the media potentially pointing out security gaps for cities or parts of our nation.I have read articles stating X% of X cities police force are ill or in quarantine, etc. Might some specifics be better left unsaid?

Tricia has firmly stated that if you want to talk politics, this is not the place for it.

NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOUR FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.

PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

Members who continue to make political posts will be banned from this discussion entirely.

No more explanations or warnings.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member