Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link please, on where Rhode Island pulled their road stops after the Rhode Island Governor changed her orders to all out of state people have to go into quarantine. Has Rhode Island stopped the National Guard going door-to-door looking for Tri-State refugees ? If so, link please ?........ I don't think Texas Governor Abbot gives a rat's butt what Cuomo thinks or says.....moo
Gov. Raimondo expands plate and home checks to all-out-of-staters, takes jab at Cuomo

Nope, just applied to everyone, including Gov. Abbott's folk. Good on her for finding a way to stick up for her state.

It's against the 4th Amendment of the Constitution. Rhode Island pulled their road stops after it was brought to her attention.

Cuomo said today during the press conference that he did not know that Florida was also breaking the 4th Amendment and said he would address it later today. I expect those roadblocks will be coming down soon, too.

No, those roadblocks won't be coming down.

Raimondo said at the Sunday press conference that her subsequent Executive Order limiting travel restrictions on all out-of-state residents coming into Rhode Island — not just New Yorkers — ordering a self-quarantine for people entering the state, from out of state, for 14 days, supersedes her prior New York order.

GoLocalProv | News | 3rd RI COVID-19 Death, 55 New Cases: Raimondo Responds to Cuomo, All Out of State Travelers Impacted

Link please, on where Rhode Island pulled their road stops after the Rhode Island Governor changed her orders to all out of state people have to go into quarantine. Has Rhode Island stopped the National Guard going door-to-door looking for Tri-State refugees ? If so, link please ?........ I don't think Texas Governor Abbot gives a rat's butt what Cuomo thinks or says.....moo

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

"expects the two states will be able to work it out amicably"

i hear ya... i just hope you scrubbed ferociously when you got to your car or home. I felt it recently in a store too...no gooey comments...but the young kid disinfecting the floors in my Winn Dixie just felt soooooooo close. All I think anymore is "carrier carrier" I really do gargle with mouthwash and sanitize my hands before and after any entry into a store! Probably have to give up the visits all together with whats coming in this next week.
I received my first ever food delivery from Shop Rite this morning. It was a blessing, and I received everything that I ordered, except for maybe 2-3 items. Maybe you could give that a try if you no longer want to go out to shop.

Here's a tip if you do - be proactive and place an order way ahead of time (before you really need it) and pick you delivery time first thing. I had to wait 6 days for this.

I worry about that too. So many people live in close quarters on a military base. There seems to be no right answer to these problems.
It reminds me of when we have to rescue American "hikers" on the border of Iran, and various others who we have to rescue from ill-advised junkets like the American/Canadian family in Afghanistan who were in captivity for years, because they purposely went out into the countryside looking for, whatever. IMO

That's what we've been doing here in Fort Worth!

The only news source for me other than Governor Cuomo (and I live in Texas!)
Cowtown ! Panther City !....Next time you are in M. L. Leddy's down by the Stockyards, stop in and tell Wilson Franklin, the owner, that San Angelo Cody said "Hello". We went to High School together a looooong time ago.......LOL!.....moo

I worry when they say Oh we'll just send them to a military base. :(
but it worked pretty well for returning AMericans from China, and other cruise boats. I think that the "no news" about all those who returned from China...was good news. Military command and control logistics training is perhaps the best thing we have going for us.

Mafia could be big winner in coronavirus-ravaged Italy
March 29, 2020 rbbm.
''ROME, ITALY -- As Italy mourns thousands of coronavirus dead, and survivors brace for life in an economic wasteland, one rung of society looks to win big: organized crime.

"The Italian mafia can turn threats into opportunities," top government anti-mafia investigator Giuseppe Governale told AFP.''

'On their terms'
"Just look at the portfolio of the mafias, to see how much they can earn from this pandemic," Italian anti-mafia author Roberto Saviano said in an interview in the Repubblica daily this week.

"Where have they invested the last few decades? Multi-service companies (canteens, cleaning, disinfection), waste recycling, transportation, funeral homes, oil and food distribution. That's how they'll make money.

"The mafias know what you have, and will need, and they give it, and will give it, on their own terms."
''The mafia "is already carefully planning ahead to when the economy will start to be rebuilt," said Governale, who heads up Italy's anti-mafia investigation directorate (DIA).

"There will be a lot of money going around."

The 62-year old Sicilian said his team was preparing a plan to combat mafia infiltration.

"They will be looking for loopholes in the system. We'll have to keep our eyes open for... suspicious operations, the creation of new companies, dummy corporations."

''According to the Stampa daily, Italy's secret service has warned the government of potential riots in southern Italy -- fomented by organized crime groups -- should the virus epicentre move from north to south.

Mobsters were believed by some crime experts to have orchestrated revolts in jails across the country early on in the epidemic, with prisoners fearful of catching the disease in overcrowded facilities demanding early release.''

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Yesterday (somewhere) I was reading about COVID and home humidity. Forgive me if someone already posted that information here. Low humidity allows the virus to live longer, and an in-door humidity of 40-50% is recommended. But then you have to be careful with humidifiers as they can get dirty easily. And too much humidity promotes mold. The article I read suggested the age-old method of putting a big kettle of water on a low burner to increase humidity in the air. We used to do this in Alaska where it's so dry in the winter in some areas. I use my greenhouse thermometer to measure the humidity in my cabin.

Last edited by a moderator:

PLEASE READ BELOW:

RHODE ISLAND

NEW: Rhode Island is no longer pulling over drivers because they have NY plates, a spokeswoman for the governor tells @jessemckinley.
Previously: Rhode Island Pulls Over New Yorkers to Keep the Virus at Bay
Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs on Twitter

RHODE ISLAND

NEW: Rhode Island is no longer pulling over drivers because they have NY plates, a spokeswoman for the governor tells @jessemckinley.
Previously: Rhode Island Pulls Over New Yorkers to Keep the Virus at Bay
Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs on Twitter

News from Maine Dept.
Armed Vinalhaven residents reportedly blocked driveway with felled tree to force quarantine
The sheriff’s department said in a news release that the events appear to be directed toward specific individuals and that there was no specific threat to the general public.
Several towns have asked seasonal residents and visitors to self quarantine and advised people to remain in their home states to reduce the spread of the virus and so local local health care systems aren’t overrun. (more at link)

Well, they seem to be dropping the football on keeping people alive and uninfected by the TV body counts......moo
While I can see why you see it that way, and that does appear that way, pretty much concluded that NY (and NJ) are closer to peak than most other parts of the country. The number of tests done there also boosts the number of positives. Remember the two-week buffer when seeing any progress, though there is noticeable progress with less hospitalizations, less needing ICU and slowing down the doubling from every other day to 4.7 days.

Source: All stated in Cuomo presser yesterday and today.

US

Depending on how many people need care, insurers, employers and individuals could face anywhere from $34 billion to $251 billion in additional expenses from the testing and treatment of Covid-19. according to the analysis. At the high end, the virus would add 20 percent or more to current costs of roughly $1.2 trillion a year.

Without help lowering their costs by having the government pay for the most expensive hospital stays, Mr. Lee warned that insurers are likely to seek rates that are double their additional costs from the virus. If their costs go up 20 percent, Mr. Lee says rates could jump as much as 40 percent in 2021.

Coronavirus May Add Billions to the Nation’s Health Care Bill

Did Florida discuss where they will be getting doctors and nurses for the 1,000+ passengers on this ship if they set up temporary shelter in Homestead? I hope they don't pull them from your hospital system.
Approximately 1,243 passengers were on the ship with 586 crew members.
Total of 1,829.
100 “well” passengers were transferred to the other ship. Unknown number of crew members.
Looking at over 2,000 that will need to be quarantined for a minimum of 14 days.

Where will the crew go? In quarantine too? Then back on the ship?

“The wait staff is from the Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia, many of whom are sick and need medical help, she said.”

Holland America cruise ship with dead aboard gets initial OK but still waiting to head to Fort Lauderdale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01