Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure he’s aiming to be a martyr like Paul and increase his standing with his congregation. That’s why he doesn’t make use of technology to video stream his services as most congregations are doing...even ones that didn’t do it before and had never heard of Zoom like mine!

I suspect that he needs the crowd there to feed off their energy as he preaches and couldn’t do it without them. Sadly for his congregation, he seems to conflate the government limiting gatherings to shutting down religion/worship. It’s not. Rational people who understand scripture know when to obey the government and when to resist. This is the time to show love for their fellow man and obey.
JMO

Yes! We are Catholic and the churches here have not held in-person Mass since March 8th. So many parishes are streaming daily and Sunday masses live on Facebook, uploading to YouTube. The Pope has been streaming blessings and prayers he conducts alone. It has been wonderful. Also in every Mass there’s a prayer for the healthcare workers and scientists fighting this virus.

Mumps, measles, chicken pox, and rocky mountain spotted fever. Words from my youth. I have that scar on my arm :) Good Lord, standin' in line, as a young boy, seeing those ahead of me, like scared me to death. Traumatizing, and I ain't kiddin'.

Good luck all. My wife and I have had to establish 30 feet of social distancing for our own safety :) 6 feet was too close, could still get hit with stuff she's throwin'.

Just kiddin'. I'm 60, she's, well, a wee bit younger. I see folk my age dyin'. I'm stayin' put. I really think NOW is the time to hunker down. For several weeks.

peace.

I remember the terror of that small pox vaccine, too.

So far, I haven't lobbed anything at my hubby nor he at me (although I did just sneeze).

There is a great story of a recovered 52 year old in Santa Barbara who had 6 days of feeling the thing like to about kilt him but now he's feeling well enough to interact with his kindergarten class online (he has cute legos showing what it's like to be in a hospital - I bet the parents are so happy he's doing that).

We need to hunker until mid-May, most likely, and as hard as it is to believe. End of May even better. Those of us who are older and who can do it.

In pictures: NHS Nightingale Hospital London

Latest pictures of the creation of the new Nightingale Hospital in London.

Fantastic idea that they will be employing staff from temporarily defunct airlines, as they already have first aid training and security clearance.
This is a brilliant idea!! The U.S needs to close air traffic. Let the military fly essential workers.

I sent the link to my brother who works in operations for an airline in Atlanta. They are suffering because passenger traffic has dropped dramatically. My niece is a flight attendant and her husband is a pilot. They would all love to help where it is needed.

Submariners at sea likely shielded from knowledge of coronavirus pandemic

Submariners conducting missions at sea are likely among the last people in the world to be unaware of the coronavirus pandemic turning life upside down back home.

Current and former officers who served aboard France's nuclear-armed subs say mariners aboard ballistic submarines are routinely spared bad news while underwater to encourage undivided focus on their top-secret missions and to avoid undermining their morale.

Any crews that left port before the virus spread around the globe are likely being kept in the dark about the extent of the rapidly unfurling crisis until their return.

"All events that could affect or change the morale of the crew members are kept from them," said Chief Doctor Gabriel. (He spoke to The Associated Press on condition that he be identified only by his first name and rank, in accordance with the rules of his branch of the French military.) "Since there is no Internet, no radio and no television on board, the only news you get comes from messages received by the commander, and the commander filters the messages to not give all of the information to everyone."

These threads are moving too fast for me to keep up with everything. If this has been shared already, I apologize. This was always one of my favorite skits but now it’s rather sobering.
Yakko’s world but he counts Coronavirus confirmed cases

nsfw: a bit of language I didn’t catch the first time.

I remember the terror of that small pox vaccine, too.

So far, I haven't lobbed anything at my hubby nor he at me (although I did just sneeze).

There is a great story of a recovered 52 year old in Santa Barbara who had 6 days of feeling the thing like to about kilt him but now he's feeling well enough to interact with his kindergarten class online (he has cute legos showing what it's like to be in a hospital - I bet the parents are so happy he's doing that).

We need to hunker until mid-May, most likely, and as hard as it is to believe. End of May even better. Those of us who are older and who can do it.

You mentioned those who are older can do it. I thought the same, with age, for many but not all, comes wisdom, and even patience. Plus, I think we older folk have a few ideas of how to pass time, like, read, or take a nap, or ride a bike, or walk, or garden, or create, you know, write, journal, artwork, etc.

I've painted two wooden porch chairs, a garden trellis, I've organized the entire garage, finished off a nice piece of live edge wood, got my mowers ready to go, did some other yard work, you know the drill.

If you haven't considered it, you got time to turn over some ground and plant some pole beans :)

Thank GOD our grocery stores aren't empty, and the food supply is, for now, for the most part, relatively stable. IF the food supply goes, we all go with it.

peace

You are teaching her a valuable life lesson. That there are consequences for your choices. I applaud you Mama.

Since we've been ordered to stay at home starting at 8 pm tonight, I did take her restaurant food and groceries and have a quick (less than 30 minutes) socially distanced picnic with her at the park across from her house today. We sat on separate benches at least 6 ft apart and had no physical contact (nor was she allowed to touch her dog, she's the dog's favorite person). I hadn't seen her in about a month because of all this and may not see her again for a month now depending how this all plays out. In hindsight there were some little mistakes, like my handing her the phone she left on my bench, sitting on benches instead of on the separate blankets we brought to sit on the grass, etc. Ugh.

I’m not going out without a mask and I’m making some for my family, in addition to the nurses, so that when they realize they need them they will be available.

I posted this this morning and perhaps it's been reposted since then, but it's a must-read and should not be missed; from L.A. Times:

A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead

That is scary and pretty much proves that it can aerosolize and transmit through the air like we already know by now.

One personal tip I want to share that I have not seen mentioned anywhere. I used to take the train into NYC and on certain trains, 1/2 of the seats from the midway point of the train car would face one direction and the other 1/2 of the seats would face the other direction. You were given a choice whether you wanted to sit in normal forward facing direction or to sit backwards in the seats facing the other way.

In thinking about this virus, I would want to sit where the wind from the passengers in front of me would hit the back of my head and not directly into my face. So, given the choice, I would pick a seat that is facing backwards away from the moving train. Basically sitting backwards from the way the train is moving. That way, at least my face would not be confronting the air as the train moves forwards.

And there are drafts for sure on trains. The conductors will walk between cars and when they open the end door, you can feel the breeze sometimes depending on where you are sitting.

Yeah, and some people are getting both (with no known results as to how that works out). Does one confer any kind of immunity to the other? At that level, it's all about technical rNA and protease and stuff I don't understand. Or is it just plain bad to get both? Are the people who are dying the ones who got both? We don't know.

Normally, I'd say it would take a year or more to know that, but I'm seeing so much research in pre-publication on this topic that I'm hopeful our virologists (worldwide) will get a handle on this. I worry that the US will be the last to know about it, from a planning point of view.

It's a possibility that this virus will need a vaccine every couple of years to maintain immunity.

People with pre-existing medical conditions of all ages are vulnerable. Some healthy people are also getting very sick.

All countries are sharing information to save as many people as possible - this vaccine should not belong to someone. Like other vaccines that are necessary to improve the quality of life, small pox, mumps, measles, the covid vaccine should become routine until the virus is destroyed.

If the virus gets stronger than the vaccine each season, we're in big trouble - better find a way to settle on the moon than always have to one-up a virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supertooth