Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you could wait 3-5 days between using your car and then any virus transmission to the car is dead.
Yes that's what I did. Generally we only use our car twice a week in normal circumstances anyway. I figured that stuff going in fridge and freezer would kill any virus too. Washing hands often is the most effective I understand. If in doubt wash hands. MOO.

I’m all caught up again - good morning everyone.

Yesterday morning I received a parcel of strawberry plants - I’m constantly amazed at how grateful I am to receive things I ordered way before the word ‘coronavirus’ became part of my regular vocabulary. So I’ve spent a couple of hours in the garden assisted by the cats, planting these, planting my cucumber seedlings and repotting the tomato seedlings. I mention this as for that brief time, I was focused on something other than the unrelentingly grim real world. The sun was shining, the air smelt so clean and fresh - it was bliss.
So at the top of today’s gratitude list - my teeny tiny garden and the fruits and veggies I am growing there.

Stay safe today, Sleuthers - especially those of you having to head out ❤️

I’m all caught up again - good morning everyone.

Yesterday morning I received a parcel of strawberry plants - I’m constantly amazed at how grateful I am to receive things I ordered way before the word ‘coronavirus’ became part of my regular vocabulary. So I’ve spent a couple of hours in the garden assisted by the cats, planting these, planting my cucumber seedlings and repotting the tomato seedlings. I mention this as for that brief time, I was focused on something other than the unrelentingly grim real world. The sun was shining, the air smelt so clean and fresh - it was bliss.
So at the top of today’s gratitude list - my teeny tiny garden and the fruits and veggies I am growing there.

Stay safe today, Sleuthers - especially those of you having to head out ❤️

Ah, just lovely, CCC.

Can't wait to get my hands in the dirt,
Mmm, the aroma,
but last frost ends May 9th
so will have to wait a while.

Yes that's what I did. Generally we only use our car twice a week in normal circumstances anyway. I figured that stuff going in fridge and freezer would kill any virus too. Washing hands often is the most effective I understand. If in doubt wash hands. MOO.
Putting stuff in the fridge or freezer isn't going to kill the virus IMO

We've had one get in our house twice. Once in an old farm house. Once in our log cabin. Took hours to get them out. I was never so scared in all my life. I don't care how many mosquitoes they eat. That's what bug zappers are for.
I had one come in the house and it couldn't get out despite the windows being open. Then I realised the radio was on so I turned it off and it went straight for the open window and left. The music was confusing it's sonar I think.

I attend a small older church in a city that has a country feel to it. At a mass, I heard a shuffling sound and the priest asked if there was a nurse or a doctor in the congregation. There were about 12-15 people who got up to help. The priest led the congregation in prayer and mass continued.

I can see it! We had a similar situation when a elderly man appeared to have a stroke. Immediately a dozen people were up and out of their seats. My dad was a tad annoyed, "I wish they'd sit down and let the medical people take care of him". "Dad", I said, "they are all medical people".

Hey!!! I sent a note out to you wishing you happy one month anniversary bc we have the same self isolation date, but then I realized yesterday it’s only been three weeks... I was celebrating it as a huge milestone but was really a week off ...

Sorry to hear about your cough, Lato...did you have to break SII (Self imposed isolation)?

Feel better soon!

Everyone feel better that’s not feeling well!

Well, congrats on the three weeks of self isolation, regardless.

Hi guys hope this is ok to ask here but I’m in the UK and my partner works for a small business, he started with a persistent cough and body aches last Tuesday and stayed off work last week. Every single day his boss rang to see if he was going in and yesterday he said ‘you’ll be fine once you’re here’ he’s told them he’s been advised to self isolate for 14 days but they don’t seem to be taking this very seriously. He’s just gone in still coughing, sneezing and headache, I told him to just stay at home but he’s worried his boss will end up replacing him. I have a weakened immune system and almost died from septic shock we also have 3 young children and I’m worried we are all going to be at risk now he’s going to and from work. Could they actually get rid of him if he’s self isolating I’m so worried! Thank you
He should get Statutory Sick Pay from Day 1 to 14 to stay at home. If he is laid off then his employer must pay him 80% of his pay. That's the current law. What is the firm he works for? Are they essential? Rules may be different if he is self employed. MOO.

He should get Statutory Sick Pay from Day 1 to 14 to stay at home. If he is laid off then his employer must pay him 80% of his pay. That's the current law. What is the firm he works for? Are they essential? Rules may be different if he is self employed. MOO.

He’s not self employed he works for a small business as a maintenance worker they do farm work aswell so that’s why they are remaining open but he told them he needed to self isolate for 14 days due to his symptoms. They’ve said that he is ok to go in now as he’s had a week off, they rang him every single morning last week to ask why he wasn’t there, it’s like they don’t fully understand the seriousness of this pandemic. I’ve told my partner I don’t care if it’s unpaid leave he shouldn’t be at work this week atall, he’s there now, he told them he’s still not 100% well but they said they need him there. Some companies really are more concerned about profits than their workers. They don’t care that he’s ill with Coronavirus symptoms or that there are vulnerable people in the household if he walks out of work and comes home he’ll be sacked.

I’ve had strong suspicions this whole thing was no accident, now even more so. This is getting scarier by the day.
Agree.
I missed the second page in my post so here are both pages of the Tactical Intelligence Report:

1st page
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/_.../2020-03/3a2404b0-7284-11ea-bffe-d806c49604cf

2nd page
https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/Z.../2020-03/be6c2770-7284-11ea-9fdd-22969c5df802

Yahoo News March 30th 2020
Suspected SARS virus and flu samples found in luggage: FBI report describes China's 'biosecurity risk'

WASHINGTON — In late November 2018, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents at Detroit Metro Airport stopped a Chinese biologist with three vials labeled “Antibodies” in his luggage.

The biologist told the agents that a colleague in China had asked him to deliver the vials to a researcher at a U.S. institute.

“Inspection of the writing on the vials and the stated recipient led inspection personnel to believe the materials contained within the vials may be viable Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) materials,” says an unclassified FBI tactical intelligence report obtained by Yahoo News.

The FBI concluded that the incident, and two other cases cited in the report, were part of an alarming pattern.

Last edited:
Other coronaviruses can survive freezing, so this one might too.

How long can coronaviruses survive in a freezer? Up to two years, warns expert

TY. Interesting. From your link.

"Given that studies on SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, two recent coronavirus outbreaks, showed that viruses could survive for up to 72 hours at the average temperature of a fridge (4 degrees Celsius), Dr. Mooty said, “It is safe for us to assume that the virus responsible for COVID-19 might be similarly persistent.”

If the new coronavirus is as persistent as its predecessors, it could survive on surfaces in freezers long after authorities aim to have suppressed the pandemic – living on food packaging in a freezer, for example.

“While we do not know the specifics of how long this virus can survive on surfaces, it is best to be safe and act as though it is able to survive on surfaces in freezing temperatures for anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of years,” said Dr. Mooty."

Latest developments

85028842-5693-4fa2-b5d3-bdfc9cfcf85e.jpg

British Airways and easyJet planes are seen parked at Gatwick Airport in Crawley, England, on March 29.

[...]

More flight cancellations: British Airways has suspended flights to and from London Gatwick airport, the second-largest in the UK.

[...]

Virus strikes younger demographics: Australia and New Zealand say a high proportion of those diagnosed with coronavirus in those nations are young people.

In New Zealand, 26% of confirmed cases are in people aged 20 to 29, and 21% of cases in Australia involve those in the same age range.

[...]

Coronavirus could drive millions into poverty: Countries in East Asia and the Pacific will be dealing with a recession if they do not act immediately to combat the economic shocks caused by the novel coronavirus pandemic, the World Bank is warning.

[...]

Much of the world is now encountering economic difficulties, but the crisis is particularly acute in Asia-Pacific because the region had already spent months dealing with the negative economic effects of the US-China trade war.

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 787,000 globally - CNN

He’s not self employed he works for a small business as a maintenance worker they do farm work aswell so that’s why they are remaining open but he told them he needed to self isolate for 14 days due to his symptoms. They’ve said that he is ok to go in now as he’s had a week off, they rang him every single morning last week to ask why he wasn’t there, it’s like they don’t fully understand the seriousness of this pandemic. I’ve told my partner I don’t care if it’s unpaid leave he shouldn’t be at work this week atall, he’s there now, he told them he’s still not 100% well but they said they need him there. Some companies really are more concerned about profits than their workers. They don’t care that he’s ill with Coronavirus symptoms or that there are vulnerable people in the household if he walks out of work and comes home he’ll be sacked.
Is he able to work on his own and therefore keep his distance from others?

Small Business Assistance:

$350 billion set aside for 'Paycheck Protection Program' - any small company can apply

"The package includes a $350 billion forgivable loan program intended to save jobs. It's called the Paycheck Protection Program.

Any business with fewer than 500 employees can apply. There's a formula that dictates how much they would get. If the business spent that money on employees, a mortgage, rent or utilities, the principal of the loan would be forgiven."

https://www.rubio.senate.gov/public...tection-program-faqs-for-small-businesses.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member