Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez alcohol as ‘non essential’. I’m in Louisiana & from NOLA. It gives me life now, well that & Blue Bell Dutch chocolate ice cream, although not at the same time.
Miss their peaches and cream & strawberries and cream. And Binder’s glazed doughnuts in the upper 9th Ward. Waistline? At least I have fresh peaches in garden till raccoons catch wind.
Ooh peach wine sounds nice.

I received an email from a local grocery store here in SW Ontario Canada. You are questioned before entering. Employee will wipe down your basket and hand it to you. So I assume there not utilizing carts. Small staggered amt. of people let in at a time. Stand at your 6 ft. floor marker. Cashiers have the shields for their protection. So I gather it's get in for a few things of need and get the he77 out. Good.
How much longer can the cashiers & stockers hang on without needing ventilators. Talk about over exposure. I fear for them.

As New York is the epicenter, can we discuss scientific and health matters as to how he is handling on this thread? I'll do a trial balloon as it affects all of us - New York spread is coming to a city near all of us MOO and we would like to learn/discuss on this main thread perhaps?

e.g. right now he is talking about how they are handling the greatest shortage, even more than PPE's, which is the health care workers. It is science, it is the VIRUS. I'll post this short one off so folks can understand how their jurisdictions might handle.

Paraphrased from presser

"Health care systems don't work as an entirety. It's not one coordinated system. It doesn't matter which link in the chain breaks, the chain is broken.

The state is developing an internet portal of health care workers to move them (78,000) around the state. Broken out by region, discipline etc and sharing with the hospitals that are in need most, so what happened at Elmerst doesn't happen/avoid"

Great idea! It's never been done before where hospitals shared, and I would like to follow as to how it might come to my state, which is 2-3 weeks behind their experience.

Thank you for posting this snippet from Cuomo's presser. It’s a brilliant idea to organize on the internet to move healthcare workers around the state.

Please see post @Tricia and @sillybilly

Exactly. I sure want to know how everybody is doing and talk about how this is affecting people personally, but the main purpose of this thread I thought was to discuss facts and information about the virus.

This virus doesn’t know borders.
We need to have a global and national perspective as we monitor our own areas.
What happens in one place can affect what happens in another place. Everything is connected. We have to learn from other countries and States. This is a global situation.

We have to learn from what is happening in NY and what Cuomo is doing wrt to hospital overflow, etc. so we can all learn for when it happens to us. These are collaborative efforts. There is value in learning and monitoring collectively what is happening in the nation and world as a whole.

What is the purpose of this current main thread now? I’m barely seeing any news or science links now...Is this a chat thread now? I can go to SM for that...I’m here for facts and information as it applies globally.

It seems to me the meat of the threads is disappearing.

It is difficult if not impossible to navigate around several different threads. I imagine it’s a lot of extra work for the mods too to relocate and filter so many posts.

I was here for facts, information, studies, reports from the beginning...now everything is all over the place. These threads have gone through the cheese grater overnight. It’s going to be hard to proceed if there is not some unity.

I’m disappointed now there seem to be minimal msm, etc?

We are all going to miss out on a lot of important msm and information now bc it’s scattered all over the place. I want to know what is happening everywhere.

I don’t have time to navigate and find 60 different threads or however many there are now.

We were doing just fine with the way the threads were before..what happened??

Exactly. I sure want to know how everybody is doing and talk about how this is affecting people personally, but the main purpose of this thread I thought was to discuss facts and information about the virus.

What happens in one place can affect what happens in another place. Everything is connected. We have to learn from other countries and States. This is a global situation.

We have to learn from what is happening in NY and what Cuomo is doing wrt to hospital overflow, etc. so we can all learn for when it happens to us. These are collaborative efforts. There is value in learning and monitoring collectively what is happening in the nation and world as a whole.

What is the purpose of this current main thread now? I’m barely seeing any news or science links now...Is this a chat thread now? I can go to SM for that...I’m here for facts and information as it applies globally.

It is difficult if not impossible to navigate around several different threads. I imagine it’s a lot of extra work for the mods too to relocate and filter so many posts.

I was here for facts, information, studies, reports from the beginning...now everything is all over the place. These threads have gone through the cheese grater overnight. It’s going to be hard to proceed if there is not some unity.

We are all going to miss out on a lot of important msm and information now bc it’s scattered all over the place. I want to know what is happening everywhere.

I don’t have time to navigate and find 60 different threads or however many there are now.

dbm

Obviously it is rapid moving, so perhaps means more work for mods...but cannot a few techy volunteers help that? I feel the large fast moving group is extremely civil, and the worldwide perspective is the best thing about the whole thread.

How much longer can the cashiers & stockers hang on without needing ventilators. Talk about over exposure. I fear for them.
I know. They need PPE and training on how to use PPE. But we don't have enough PPE even for medical professionals. And then CDC was telling us (still is) not to use masks if we are healthy, which I knew from the start was really bad advice. At least they could have told general public to use cotton homemade masks to protect other members of the public.

I agree, and I would like to add that a number of states are coordinating their response with neighboring states, so what is news for one is news for all. I don't think a pandemic lends itself to artificial geographic borders.

I've been using this site to check for specific California counties:

COVID-19/Coronavirus Live Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Click on California and then the dropdown to see county-by-county

Plus checking the local newspaper will keep you relatively informed. Here's a Sonoma newspaper: Home, Sonoma Index-Tribune, Sonoma News, Entertainment, Sports, Real Estate, Events, Photos, Sonoma, CA

Thank you! This is a great tool....

This is a really good rundown of the PPE shortage, something that has been a recognized problem for years.

Why America ran out of protective masks — and what can be done about it

The problem, experts say, is that the federal government should have prepared for this months if not years ago — but it didn’t. It’s an issue that has been magnified by Trump but really transcends presidential administrations: America, along with the rest of the world, has never been ready for a major disease outbreak.

“Every serious look at US pandemic readiness and global pandemic readiness has identified PPE shortages as a major issue,” Jeremy Konyndyk, senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development, told me. “This is a known issue. We’ve seen it before.”

<snip>

The problem is about both supply and demand. Prior to the coronavirus outbreak, China made half the world’s face masks. When the outbreak took off there, China started to use its supply and hoard what remained. This problem has only spread since, as more and more countries hoard whatever medical supplies they can get — with some, like Germany, even banning most PPE exports. So as demand increased due to Covid-19 — not just from health care workers but from a general public increasingly scared of infection — there was less supply to go around.

Some public health officials and experts tried to tamp down on public demand by suggesting face masks wouldn’t help laypeople avoid infection. But experts told me this messaging backfired: There is evidence that masks help people avoid infection, and once the public saw doctors and nurses were using and wanted more of the masks, that likely fueled distrusttoward what public officials and experts were saying — and people bought up masks anyway.

The result, now, is a shortage that not only threatens doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals at the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic, but also puts us all at serious risk, since we’re relying on these same health care workers to literally save us if we get sick.

Please read this again and have some patience, thanks!

Hey everyone,

Please move on from discussing the set up of the forum as it relates to general discussion thread vs the state specific threads.

This is as new to us as it is to all of you. Tricia has been made aware of your concerns and as soon as we hear back from her, we'll let you know on the thread. In the meantime, post as usual and we'll get it all sorted out as soon as possible.

Thanks to everyone for your patience and your cooperation.

ETA: As we speak, Ms Tricia is reviewing this. Give her some time for a jug or so of her preferred beverage.

I know. They need PPE and training on how to use PPE. But we don't have enough PPE even for medical professionals. And then CDC was telling us (still is) not to use masks if we are healthy, which I knew from the start was really bad advice. At least they could have told general public to use cotton homemade masks to protect other members of the public.
Masks, ventilators and other gear was outsourced to other countries years ago. Now that we need them, they aren’t giving them to us. So now GM, Ford, and GE are making them. Then we are told they are going to ship them to countries overseas who need them more than us. What??

This is a really good rundown of the PPE shortage, something that has been a recognized problem for years.

Why America ran out of protective masks — and what can be done about it

The problem, experts say, is that the federal government should have prepared for this months if not years ago — but it didn’t. It’s an issue that has been magnified by Trump but really transcends presidential administrations: America, along with the rest of the world, has never been ready for a major disease outbreak.

“Every serious look at US pandemic readiness and global pandemic readiness has identified PPE shortages as a major issue,” Jeremy Konyndyk, senior policy fellow at the Center for Global Development, told me. “This is a known issue. We’ve seen it before.”

<snip>

The problem is about both supply and demand. Prior to the coronavirus outbreak, China made half the world’s face masks. When the outbreak took off there, China started to use its supply and hoard what remained. This problem has only spread since, as more and more countries hoard whatever medical supplies they can get — with some, like Germany, even banning most PPE exports. So as demand increased due to Covid-19 — not just from health care workers but from a general public increasingly scared of infection — there was less supply to go around.

Some public health officials and experts tried to tamp down on public demand by suggesting face masks wouldn’t help laypeople avoid infection. But experts told me this messaging backfired: There is evidence that masks help people avoid infection, and once the public saw doctors and nurses were using and wanted more of the masks, that likely fueled distrusttoward what public officials and experts were saying — and people bought up masks anyway.

The result, now, is a shortage that not only threatens doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals at the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic, but also puts us all at serious risk, since we’re relying on these same health care workers to literally save us if we get sick.
Yeah, just read an article like this! Great minds and all that.

Yes, a response of mine about quitting smoking got moved to a CA thread. But really, that’s useful information for the general thread. I don’t understand what is happening.

Yeah - I don't get it. The thread is labeled for "statistics" about the pandemic in California, so no one is going to stop by to help the smokers. Further, there are smokers in every state (and California has fewer of them and is rather intolerant of them, so smokers probably find this thread more helpful).

Someone said Wellbutrin and Nicotine patches. And Nicotine patches are still available in many places.

However, getting them is harder. I haven't checked Amazon but CVS may ship. They can't be sold to anyone under 21, though, so...not sure if they can be shipped. Local grocery stores/instacart can handle such sales if they are still working in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX