Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also do not blame the Chinese people for this. Those wet markets are the way many of them make their living, and if they want to eat meat and can't hunt or don't want to, that's how they have to obtain it if they don't have refrigeration.

It would also not surprise me if the Chinese government is deliberately infecting the Uighurs, against whom they are conducting a holocaust, and then withholding treatment.

Everyone has refrigeration in China. They don't hunt. Their grocery stores look just like ours, such as Kroger, etc.

The wet markets are a thing of the past, part of the culture of older generations.

Canada sent 16T of medical supplies to China at the start of their epidemic. The goal was to stop the epidemic in China. That failed, but that is the reason that countries sent supplies to the first epicentre.
Well, it didn't really fail, did it. China seems to have successfully stopped the epidemic in China.
But we don't have enough PPE for medical professionals, let alone regular public, and our epidemic is spreading like wild fire.

I haven't been posting Dr. Campbell for some time here like was done daily in earlier threads, think perhaps is good to restart for all here. MOO He does criticize on some actions, but those that follow know he is very keen on basics. Use YOUR critical thinking to digest the information presented in totality MOO

Red Pine Distillery in Grand Forks switches from vodka to hand sanitizer

Seim plans to sell some of the sanitizer to the public for a donation -- people pay what they want -- to cover the cost of making it. A small bottle for individual use should run about $1 or $2, while the one-gallon jugs cost about $20. He is also working out how to allow people to stop by the distillery and refill their bottles.

He won’t sell it all. In fact, he intends to give it away to places that need it the most.

Red Pine Distillery in Grand Forks switches from vodka to hand sanitizer | Grand Forks Herald

Am I the only one that gets angry every time I see so-called "experts" telling the public to only wear masks if you are sick? This seems the equivalent of telling civilians under random sniper fire that they should not wear a bullet proof vest, even if they already own one, because we don't want the public buying up all the bullet proof vests. Sure you may get from place to place quickly a few times without a sniper getting you but eventually risky practices are going to catch up to you. I'm not in favor of playing Russian roulette with my health and the health of my family while all I'm doing is trying to keep them from starving, TYVM.

I totally understand that the medical workers need the masks the most but they could at least tell everyone else to cover their faces with what they have when they have to go out. The president has started saying in the last couple press briefings that people could use scarfs to cover their face to go to the store. But he's been very non-committal about it and the way he says it makes it sound like it's OK to do if it makes you feel better to do it. I wish the people at the top would URGE people to use scarfs and make their own masks. Sure, it's not as good as an N-95 mask but it's better than nothing. Why can't they at least tell people that!

I'm also pissed off right now because My DH had to go to his office this morning. He has been working from home but he still has had to go to the office about once a week for things that he can't do remotely. A couple times he could do what he needed to from the safety of his truck. One time last week he had to physically go in the building and the guards wouldn't let him enter with a mask on. They told him if he was wearing a mask it meant he was sick and infectious. So he took his mask off, did what he had to and got out as fast as he could. How stupid is that? That they let him enter after he took his mask off. What's to prevent someone who is sick and not taking this seriously from doing the same thing? Now he has to go enter that building again. He promised me not to touch his face, to wash his hands and to stay as far away from other people as he could. But I fear it won't be enough. He took a mask with him in case the business has changed their policy on masks.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just so angry that this bad advice to not wear masks continues to be put out there. The tide seems to be slowly changing in favor of masks for the public but it's way too slow for my comfort. :mad::(:confused:o_O

MOO.

There is a tremendous amount of confusion and plain old ignorance on the part of so many people---and might i add lack of common sense as in the situation you describe. sigh

Well, it didn't really fail, did it. China seems to have successfully stopped the epidemic in China.
But we don't have enough PPE for medical professionals, let alone regular public, and our epidemic is spreading like wild fire.

The US is the third epicentre for the virus. The US, with a population of 330 million, sent 17T of supplies to China. Canada, with a population of 37 million, sent 16T of supplies. I don't think sending supplies to the first epicentre is the reason that the US is the third epicentre, or the reason for an urgent need for supplies.

We have known for a long time now that physical distancing is the only way to stop the virus. Any country that delays in implementing this distancing is going to be an epicentre. Any country that reverses physical distancing during the pandemic is going to have a surge in infected people two weeks later.

Every country has a shortage of medical supplies. Hopefully all supplies arrive at their intended country going forward. Flattening the curve through social distancing is the best method to protect health care professionals.

Los Angeles mayor recommends people cover their faces in public

[...]

"Early data suggests that many who are infected with Covid-19 do not have symptoms, which is why everyone should wear cloth face coverings when leaving the house for essential activities. However, a face covering is not a substitute for other critical measures -- most importantly, staying home as much as possible, washing hands frequently, and practicing safe physical distancing in all settings."

The city's guidance can be found here

US public health officials at first advised against wearing masks, but may be shifting course. On Monday, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Robert Redfield, told NPR that his organization was reviewing its guidelines and may recommend general mask use to guard against community infection. President Trump said the government plans to release new recommendations on face masks in the coming days.

[...]

She [Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove] said the organization currently recommends that people who are ill or caring for the sick wear normal medical masks, while the more efficient N95s should be saved for frontline health-care workers. The WHO is studying other options, like whether the general public should use scarves to cover themselves.

[...]

Coronavirus live updates: Cases top 1 million globally - CNN

(Will also post to California thread)

I want to hug the LA Mayor!
But I'll practice social distancing and just give a round of applause, LOL.
We need more common sense like that from our leaders.
Wear scarves. Wash them after every trip out and wash your hands frequently.
Don't go out unless you absolutely have to.
MOO.

I want to hug the LA Mayor!
But I'll practice social distancing and just give a round of applause, LOL.
We need more common sense like that from our leaders.
Wear scarves. Wash them after every trip out and wash your hands frequently.
Don't go out unless you absolutely have to.
MOO.

Are you feeling better?

I truly think there's a bit of burden on the general population to have the sense to cover their face. Us rednecks in Kentuckiana are being told locally to do so. Jmo

I don't think I have any scarves. Other than the "pull that hoodie up to your eyes" I think I have some old school tights and thin leggings I can sacrifice for the cause.

(hmm... cotton fabrics should not be used for masks. Use reusable grocery bags instead. Read on. I think information in this article is true. Direction included.)

Popular Science
Make your own face mask—no sewing machine required
Researchers at the University of New South Wales who studied the use of reusable cloth masks several years ago found that doctors who wore them had a significantly higher chance of respiratory infection. Almost 97 percent of particles got through the cloth masks used in the study, compared with the 44 percent that penetrated synthetic medical masks. The cloth’s ability to retain moisture, plus the fact that the masks were reused, might have also contributed to their inefficiency.

No wonder that the World Health Organization says cloth masks are “not recommended under any circumstances” in healthcare settings during the COVID-19 outbreak.
.......Because of researchers’ hypotheses about cotton masks’ hydrophilic (water-loving) qualities contributing to higher rates of respiratory infection, we’ve stayed with MakerMask’s suggestion to use a hydrophobic synthetic material similar (but not identical) to the material used in surgical masks. And many people have it right in their own home.
All good points to consider. There's been research on this subject since at least the SARS outbreak. Due to the wide variety of types and styles of masks, it's hard to get an evidence based answer. It will be very interesting to see results of continued research studies.
In countries like China, it is more socially acceptable/understood that wearing of masks is to decrease the possibility of spreading illness.

(Note that this was published in 2013!)

Testing the Efficacy of Homemade Masks: Would They Protect in an Influenza Pandemic? | Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness | Cambridge Core

Conclusion
Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort to prevent droplet transmission from infected individuals, but it would be better than no protection. (Disaster Med Public Health Preparedness. 2013;0:1–6)

Everyone Thinks They’re Right About Masks
a surgical mask filtered 89 percent of viral particles a tea towel blocked 72 percent, and a cotton T-shirt blocked 50 percent.**In general, thicker materials are better than thinner ones, Marr said, and a tight fit across the face is important. If people use makeshift masks, they should thoroughly wash them afterward.
(BBM)

Good points for discussion!

I agree with this advice. I've been saving all my yogurt cups and other little containers I would normally take to recycling. I've got tomatoes, peppers and eggplants in dirt in yogurt cups in my kitchen window right now. I cut little spilt for drainage in the bottom before planting. All my seeds are old ones I have saved from past gardens, some from as long ago at 2007 but I'm hoping they grow this year more than ever because the online seed catalogues I normally order from are already sold out.

For anyone who can't get a hold of any seeds you can start growing items from your grocery produce. Seriously. Let a few potatoes grow eyes, slice them up and plant in a big bag of dirt. Keep the onion root ends and plant. Save seeds from peppers and squash and try to plant them. Organic produce is more likely to be able to grow from seeds in my experience but non-organic often works too.

I've got green onions in a cup of water on my kitchen county right now. I cut the green part to use for cooking and they keep regrowing. I change out the water every couple days to keep mold from growing on them.

I started a gardening thread :)

Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

My great state of VA is going to host the president's golf outing with emergency rental of 30 golf carts.
God bless us all

Thanks for posting, just adding a link to your story:

Secret Service signs $45,000 “emergency order” for golf carts: report

The Secret Service signed a $45,000 "emergency order" to rent golf carts at President Donald Trump's Virginia golf club on Monday, according to The Washington Post.

The agency signed a contract, which it described as an "emergency order," to rent 30 golf carts from a West Virginia-registered company called Capitol Golf Cars and Utility Vehicles from April 1 until the end of September, according to the report. The contract did not mention Trump but it "closely mirrors" previous contracts the agency signed before protecting the president at his New Jersey and Florida golf resorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa