Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swimming pool !

Indulging myself for a bit of a whine.

I just realized it might be a very long time before the public pool opens, even for the hot days of summer.

I really enjoyed using the pool for lap swimming, especially the outdoor pool when it was open in late afternoon for lap swimming.

I'm sad to think about this.

• 16,284 cases across the state
  • 582 deaths reported
  • 63 parishes now affected by outbreak
  • More than 4,000 cases in New Orleans
  • Some signs state is flattening the curve
Louisiana leaders are growing optimistic that the state is potentially beginning to see signs of flattening the curve of the COVID-19 health crisis, but they warn it’s still too early to tell.

https://www-wdsu-com.cdn.ampproject...9-cases-in-state-582-deaths-reported/32068099

Swimming pool !

I just realized it might be a very long time before the public pool opens, even for the hot days of summer.

I really enjoyed using the pool for lap swimming, especially the outdoor pool when it was open in late afternoon for lap swimming.

Me, too!! I swam nearly every day at the rec center in the winter. I love swimming in the lake in the summer. It will be a long time before I am comfortable at the public pool indoors.

Swimming pool !

I can barely allow myself to even think that we will not be able to use our pool this summer. It spirals me into a heavy sadness.

So I have one elderly family member who has a McDonald’s addiction.

I just learned they’ve been sneaking out to go get McDonald’s even though they have been instructed to stay home and have others bring them what they need.

I suppose if they’re just going through the drivethru...Idk, still not a fan of this. Fast food seems dangerous to me. Maybe not if they wash their hands before eating the food.

Sigh.

Everything is dangerous. Everything.
What about the containers that they come in? I'm getting paranoid.

Sympathies and condolences to everyone with friends and relatives suffering from this pandemic.

Does anyone have a good link or data that explains the average amount of time between the first symptom and ending up in the hospital? Or even first symptom and recovery? I am still hanging in with this awful dry cough. It has been a week. It is worse now than a week ago, worse today than two days ago. No fever but my lungs hurt from coughing. Other than that, I feel fine.

Not sure where you are getting 80,000 from. Flu is less infectious and less deadly. Covid is more infectious and more deadly. So we don't want millions infected with covid.

"CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1). "
Estimated Influenza Illnesses, Medical visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths in the United States — 2018–2019 influenza season | CDC

I understand that COVID-19 is more infectious and appears more deadly. But I referred to the
widely quoted study Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), an independent global health research center at the University of Washington. It shows that with two months of social distancing that an estimated 80,000 people will die of COVID-19, and deaths will be rare after June 1. I referenced the 80,000 deaths from the 2017-2018 flu for context as to what that number represents. Only 45% of American adults get the flu vaccine, despite this death toll. Either they are afraid of the vaccine, undereducated about it, or don't care.

Sorry, I was referring to the 2017-2018 season for flu statistics.

An estimated 80,000 Americans died of flu and its complications last winter, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This means it was the deadliest season in more than four decades -- since 1976, the date of the first published paper reporting total seasonal flu deaths, said CDC Spokeswoman Kristen Nordlund.

Flu season deaths top 80,000 last year, CDC says - CNN

Was just speaking with my husband in Dubai - we've gone from boomers to zoomers this week.

You have to get a permit to leave home in Dubai now - probably all 7 Emirates but forgot to ask him specifically.

If you want groceries for example, you have go on-line and state who you are, where you are, where you want to go, how you will get there and what time. You then have to wait for a response/permit to come back to you. If you're caught outside without a permit, new accommodation will be found for you, immediately.

Can't imagine having to live with that much restriction on movement and not know how long it will last. The UAE is determined to knock this on the head sooner rather than later.

I just want to say thanks to everyone for the ventilator conversation in the last thread. It is really depressing but I was somewhat, uh relieved for lack of a better term, to see that you all were discussing this bc at that very moment I was having the same conversation with my family. I’m afraid one of them who is undergoing chemo MAY have been exposed during a hospital treatment recently so they are now in isolation, etc. Anyway too much to talk about atm and highly personal and distressing but thanks everyone for being here.
ETA: @mickey2942 we also had the same discussion you referred to. We decided this member can’t just stay at home and die, even though that’s what they want, bc it’s too much for the other relatives in the house to watch them gasp for air, etc., cross exposure, etc. Nutshell. So anyway the decision was made to seek hospitalization and die there and say bye via Facebook or whatever if it happens. This member also said there’s no reason for family to fly from out of state bc that is risky and also there’s no point because you can’t go in to see them anyway. So we will plan to have a ceremony, etc after it happens IF it happens. We are accepting that chances are slim this family member will survive due to their age and serious health conditions with cancer and chemo, if they do contract the virus.
Hugs!

It has already happened. I personally know people who have been furloughed but will still get their pay packet of 80% from their employers, who will be reimbursed by the govt, possibly by not having to send the tax and NI that they collect and send to the government on a normal basis. It is impressive if it works out OK. If this only goes on for another month those employees could possibly just get reemployed.
The way it will work is that employers will put in a claim to HMRC for the total amount of the 80% wages paid out. Employees will pax tax and NI on the 80%. I am currently setting up furlough. At the moment I believe they have guaranteed it until the end of May if needed. So as long as companies have the 80% wage bill available (many will take out a business loan, offered at 0% and payback over a decent period), people could stay on furlough until the end of May.

ETA they need the wage bill upfront to pay out on regular payday, then claim back.

I was so relieved when our government did this. Higher salaries are capped at £2,500 per month but it's still loads better than a big fat zero. I was afraid we'd be making layoffs. I think we are very fortunate to have this in the UK.

Last edited:
Was just speaking with my husband in Dubai - we've gone from boomers to zoomers this week.

You have to get a permit to leave home in Dubai now - probably all 7 Emirates but forgot to ask him specifically.

If you want groceries for example, you have go on-line and state who you are, where you are, where you want to go, how you will get there and what time. You then have to wait for a response/permit to come back to you. If you're caught outside without a permit, new accommodation will be found for you, immediately.

Can't imagine having to live with that much restriction on movement and not know how long it will last. The UAE is determined to knock this on the head sooner rather than later.

what about elderly people who have no access or knowledge to internet??

• 16,284 cases across the state
  • 582 deaths reported
  • 63 parishes now affected by outbreak
  • More than 4,000 cases in New Orleans
  • Some signs state is flattening the curve
Louisiana leaders are growing optimistic that the state is potentially beginning to see signs of flattening the curve of the COVID-19 health crisis, but they warn it’s still too early to tell.

https://www-wdsu-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.wdsu.com/amp/article/coronavirus-updates-in-louisiana-16284-covid-19-cases-in-state-582-deaths-reported/32068099?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=15862809042866&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.wdsu.com/article/coronavirus-updates-in-louisiana-16284-covid-19-cases-in-state-582-deaths-reported/32068099
The source used in the article is from Worldometer, but they do not have a curve per state. And again from there it is a Louisiana Link with numbers, no curves.
Is there any other source with a curve statistics for different states (or at least for Louisiana)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa