Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i need some advice-- i posted about this on the wrong thread (Texas)---
my husband is freaking me out--we are in a gated community in Fort Myers Fla--
There is a driving range here -' in the past few evenings my husband has been hitting
golf bakks on the range. There are a couple other older men hitting golf
balls --so my husband and these two men are talking to each othef- i asked him how far apart they are and it is not 6 feet--more like 2-4 feet-- he doesnt see anything wrong
with that situation and i am upset-- we are both in our mid 70s and i have asthma--
i dont know how to handle this but i see this as a threat to my life--i dont consider this time with this virus and all, a time for socializing---am i over reacting?
Just quarantine him for 14 days.

I do not know the answer to that. I never even thought of it before. I know the care aides do not make much money . It is really scary. These folks are in a Nursing home because they need round the clock care but most people don't care about 'old people' even though the Nursing home has residents of all ages.
Their visitors could be bringing the virus in too without knowing.

Save one person and you’re a hero.

Save thousands and you’re are a nurse.
493F72EA-6BA2-4AEE-95D0-D114EED23744.jpeg

Can you believe that a bill was passed in Australia today that a $5,000 fine be imposed to anyone who abuses or attacks our healthcare and emergency workers?
Yes, people are accusing them for spreading the virus so it’s advised no uniforms outside the hospitals.
Go figure.

The longer I live the less I understand the human race.

Last edited:
Adding Dr. Fauci's opinion here 4/7

Dr. Fauci said yesterday the study done in Wuhan was not a very robust study.

"It is still possible that there is a beneficial effect, but the study that was just quoted on a scale of strength of evidence, that is not overwhelmingly strong. It said 37% of doctors "feel" the drugs are beneficial. "We don't operate on how you feel, we operate on what evidence is and data is.

Although there is some suggestion that there is a benefit there, I think we have to be careful that we don't make that majestic leap to assume that this is a knockout drug.

I grant that, it is understandable why people may want to take something anyway, even with the slightest hint of it being effective. I have no problem with that."

The jury is still out on whether hydroxychloroquine is the answer to treating COVID19 because studies coming from abroad have been small, not randomized meaning they are not using a control group which american scientists hold as the gold standard of research.
I guess that's why they are doing the trial. It is not just hydroxychloroquine in this trial. The one I linked says this -

"The RECOVERY trial is currently evaluating HIV drugs lopinavir/ritonavir as well as anti-inflammation steroid dexamethasone and anti-malarial hydroxychloroquine. Additional experimental drugs can be added to the study in the future."

There are many trials worldwide going on ATM.

Last edited:
Warning graphic - positive dog news from China

China
has excluded dogs from farm animals in a drafted directive, which could see canine meat being barred from the dinner plate across the country.

The Chinese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs said it recognises dogs as 'companion animals' and 'not suitable' to be managed as livestock in the document released yesterday.

This means the proposal can potentially prevent around 10 million dogs being killed for their meat every year in the country.

I think i need some advice-- i posted about this on the wrong thread (Texas)---
my husband is freaking me out--we are in a gated community in Fort Myers Fla--
There is a driving range here -' in the past few evenings my husband has been hitting
golf bakks on the range. There are a couple other older men hitting golf
balls --so my husband and these two men are talking to each othef- i asked him how far apart they are and it is not 6 feet--more like 2-4 feet-- he doesnt see anything wrong
with that situation and i am upset-- we are both in our mid 70s and i have asthma--
i dont know how to handle this but i see this as a threat to my life--i dont consider this time with this virus and all, a time for socializing---am i over reacting?

You are not overreacting, in fact he’s being very selfish.
Asthma! He must realise the dangers.

"We have reached the peak" of the pandemic, says Spain's PM

da4b5dd3-15aa-472a-a1e0-f946b91a9218.jpg

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez delivers a speech at the Spanish Parliament in Madrid on April 9.

[...]

“We have reached the peak and now the de-escalation begins,” Sanchez told a nearly empty Spanish Parliament Thursday, as most lawmakers are working from home.

[...]

“We are facing the biggest threat to the planet’s public health since the flu of 1918,” Sanchez said, explaining that the resumption of normal activity would only happen in phases. “The last thing we should allow is a step backwards because that would be more than a setback” but “it would be a rebound”, for the virus.

[...]

Spain has been the world's second most heavily affected country by the coronavirus pandemic so far, after the US. Almost 150,000 confirmed cases of the virus have been detected and the death toll currently stands at 14,792.

US death toll reaches 14,808: Live updates - CNN

More than 330,000 people have recovered from coronavirus

[...]

In reality this number is likely to be far higher given that many people do not know whether they have had the virus.

China leads the way in terms of recovered patients, with more than 77,000, according to Johns Hopkins, followed by Spain with more than 48,000; Germany with more than 46,000; and Iran with more than 29,000.

US death toll reaches 14,808: Live updates - CNN

Meanwhile, in FL untested people can congregate in a church. Makes perfect sense (no).
And, here's another one. ND requires anyone returning from Minnesota to quarantine for 14 days ALTHOUGH Minnesota has a stay at home order, and ND does not. Makes perfect sense (not).

That's not entirely accurate.

Fargo ND, the states largest city, DOES have a stay at home order issued by the mayor of Fargo.
Minnesota has 1154 cases and 39 deaths. North Dakota has 251 cases and 4 deaths. Makes perfect sense to me why ND wants people coming in from MN to quarantine for 14 days.

ETA:
Doug Burgum (Governor of ND) announced Wednesday that a 14-day quarantine order has been amended to basically exempt people living along the Minnesota border.

People commuting across the border for work, outdoor recreation, health care treatment and shopping are now exempt from the order.

Last edited:
The Disney Wonder cruise arrived in San Diego on March 19 and now we've learned that several crew members and passengers have tested positive for COVID. My niece was on that cruise, and now is deathly ill with pneumonia and is presumed COVID positive. She has multiple health challenges and required an organ transplant last year.

From what I understand, the company is offering these passengers a cruise next year for half price. (!)

San Diego ends cruise ship deliveries after Disney Wonder passenger, crew member test positive

I’m so sorry your Niece is extremely unwell. I hope and pray she will recover. Please let us know how she is doing.

I consider myself a true Christian. Our parish chooses to stay home to protect everyone, especially the most vulnerable. "Greater love has no man than he that lays down his life for his friend". We risk lives going to church. We protect and save lives by staying home. We are all sacrificing a lot to do this. BUT we are laying down our lives for others in this way. I'm so embarrassed by people like this.

I think this is the right approach. I don’t understand putting people’s lives at risk I don’t think it is the will of God.

I wish you and your loved ones a Happy and Safe Easter.

I am hearing that it is being recommended to UK cat owners that they keep them inside. I will find a link.

Coronavirus: 'Pets no risk to owners' vets stress

There are many links on this and at first it was thought only people with the virus or self isolating with symptoms should keep their cats in. Radio 4 are now clarifying that they are talking about all cats because they can pick up the virus when they are out and about and could bring it into the home.

Last edited:
You are not overreacting, in fact he’s being very selfish.
Asthma! He must realise the dangers.

I had a chat with him this morning. I told him he had to stop being a social butterfly: this is not the time for that. This is the time to make sure both of us don't get sick and that if he didn't take it seriously we would have to change our living arrangements in this house and I am not fooling. For me the virus is death (with asthma that i have)-- he said well, we don't stand that close together - I said do you stand 6 feet apart? well of course they don't-- i said if you want to hit golf balls fine, but you cannot use that time to socialize- it is a risk I am not taking - i told him i know you are not going to tell these guys you have to stand at least 6 feet away- he won't do that. so the chat will continue.

I am hearing that it is recommended to cat owners that they keep them inside. I will find a link.

Veterinary scientists have recommended cat owners keep their pets indoors to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus among animals.

But the British Veterinary Association stressed "owners should not worry" about risk of infection from pets.

"There isn't a single case of a pet dog or cat infecting a human with Covid-19," Dr Angel Almendros, from City University in Hong Kong, told BBC News.

Research has shown cats may be able to catch the virus from other cats.

Dr Almendros added that it would be sensible to keep cats indoors - where it is safe and possible to do so - during the outbreak.

Coronavirus: 'Pets no risk to owners' vets stress

The White House banned most air travel from China back in late January to stop the coronavirus from entering this country. But it turns out the strain of the virus that hit New York did not come directly from China, but Europe. And it began to circulate in mid-February, weeks before the first reported case. From The New York Times:

The majority is clearly European,” said Harm van Bakel, a geneticist at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, who co-wrote a study awaiting peer review.

A separate team at N.Y.U. Grossman School of Medicine came to strikingly similar conclusions, despite studying a different group of cases. Both teams analyzed genomes from coronaviruses taken from New Yorkers starting in mid-March.

The Times adds that the virus might have been detected months ago had sufficient testing programs been in place.

Coronavirus That Plagues New York Came From Europe - News & Guts Media

Warning graphic - positive dog news from China

China
has excluded dogs from farm animals in a drafted directive, which could see canine meat being barred from the dinner plate across the country.

The Chinese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs said it recognises dogs as 'companion animals' and 'not suitable' to be managed as livestock in the document released yesterday.

This means the proposal can potentially prevent around 10 million dogs being killed for their meat every year in the country.
Here is the link for that. This is absolutely disgusting. To top it off, they are not banning the consumption of dog meat.

"But in a sharp turn of the event, a worker from the Ministry denied that the proposal was aimed at banning the eating of dogs.

The unnamed official told Chinese news outlet The Paper the exclusion of dogs in the directory only means they cannot be 'managed' as livestock, and 'it has nothing to do with the eating or breeding of dogs'.
Activists and legal experts have in the past proposed animal protection law to ban the eating of dogs and cats. The earliest such campaigns can be traced back to 2009.

But so far, no national legislation has been released to officially forbid people from consuming pets."
China recognises dogs as 'companion animals' in 'game-changer' proposal | Daily Mail Online

Australian coronavirus cases under 100 for the first time in three weeks.

For the first time in three weeks the number of Australians testing positive for COVID-19 has fallen below 100, but the Government has warned the fight against the virus is far from over.

'Exceptionally important development': Under 100 new cases of coronavirus recorded
Excellent news Oz.

ETA I just read that Spain believes they have hit their peak, so good news there too we hope.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member