Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet, as someone with a congenital heart arrhythmia, it might not be the drug for me.

And yes, doctors would certainly ask a person to fill out a family history before prescribing. But what if the patient is already on a ventilator and there is no family history available?

That's just one of the many problems of a pandemic. People are found unconscious or with such acute breathing problems that they cannot give a family history and do not have one written out. Doesn't hurt to have it written out, along with any advanced directive.

That's why it's good to have that medical ID filled out on your cell phone. It's accessible even when your phone is locked, and lets you give the basic medical info...blood type, medications you're on, whom to call etc.

I respect the points you brought up.
I hope you don't think I'm being argumentative when I bring up my thoughts in regards to Hydroxychloroquine.
(1) I've seen what dosage some doctors are saying was CV-19 successful, and it's not anymore mg than I've taken before. I've taken 400 mg for years in the 90's , instead of just ten days like a CV-patient might. (2) True, if the patient is taking other medication or has some underlying condition that the doctor feels would create heart issues then it would definitely be up to the doctor to not authorize that drug for that patient.

This virus moves in so fast and kills so fast. Yes, side-effects to the heart are of consideration, but also, so is, stopping this virus from killing the patient. Ventilators kill some patients too. So, all this criticism about one drug, that's been around awhile with much success in other conditions, mystifies me.

BTW, when there's talk of the USPS stopping service, I can't believe I got this bulky envelope in the mail from my health care provider containing an annual colon stool test at a time like this! They just shorted me on my Rx refill counting it as a full refill, and didn't care at all, but they're worried about my colon at a time like this. They keep sending me emails that they are there for me, but all I needed was my refill, so I wish they'd get it together.

FWIW, I saw someone commenting anecdotally on a message board, that H-C prescriptions don't even require a baseline EKG...

Also, some good news for those who wear CPAP machines, or are using fingertip meters religiously to monitor their oxygen levels:

Ventilators are overused for Covid-19 patients, doctors say - STAT

This is weird to me because people should be eating the same amount
I don't get it either.

I can see that there would be some differences in the types of food that people eat at restaurants and schools vs at home but wouldn't that be minor?

Are people eating less while at home?

I wore a mask for the first time about a month ago. I'm in NYC and have emphysema. I live in a 23-story building, and ran into a good friend in the elevator. He was teasing me about the mask, but I told him that I had to go to the supermarket and since I'm 62 with COPD, I couldn't take the chance. I had worn the mask for approximately one minute at the time, and pulled it down to talk to him. But truthfully, I felt kind of stupid and also found it uncomfortable and difficult to breathe. He told me that his wife (my friend for 30+ years) was begging him to wear a mask, because she is homebound and has severe asthma. Then he told me that he just will not wear a mask (very few in my neighborhood were wearing it then). He works with an optician, has to deal with customers and has to do all the running around because his wife is homebound. It was too inconvenient and silly.
Yesterday, his wife died. She was also 62. He is a good guy who has taken care of his wife for years, and took care of his son when he was young, too. He is pierced to the marrow in case he brought something home to her. It hasn't been determined yet if she had Covid. She only spent two days in the hospital and he doesn't appear to be ill. She wasn't a well person to begin with, so it may be something else that killed her. But every time I think about how maybe it would be different had he worn a mask....
Please, everyone, don't give up on the precautions. One never knows.

OMG, your neighbor lost his wife. That is heartbreaking. Now, he struggles with guilt. I am so worried about family members thinking they're being careful enough.

Me too, same as you...COPD. We can not catch this devil virus. West Coast here, your building has more stories. Do you have to use a laundry room? I know I was stocking up way before my neighbors, and telling people on the elevator in the building that it was possible we weren't going to be able to go out. They laughed at the thought. There's many here that still don't think they could get the virus. I'm so sorry he lost his wife. Take care dear.

I am absolutely disgusted with the Daily Mail website for showing photos and video of the mass graves in Hart Island New York. People have enough distress and anxiety without having to see that. The media has no sense of dignity and decency for the poor people who have lost their lives. It is utterly shameful publishing these extremely distressing images and video to generate clicks for advertising.

I go back and forth. Are the pictures too much? Or is it the truth that people need to see? I think people need to see this for a reality check.

I respect the points you brought up.
I hope you don't think I'm being argumentative when I bring up my thoughts in regards to Hydroxychloroquine.
(1) I've seen what dosage some doctors are saying was CV-19 successful, and it's not anymore mg than I've taken before. I've taken 400 mg for years in the 90's , instead of just ten days like a CV-patient might. (2) True, if the patient is taking other medication or has some underlying condition that the doctor feels would create heart issues then it would definitely be up to the doctor to not authorize that drug for that patient.

This virus moves in so fast and kills so fast. Yes, side-effects to the heart are of consideration, but also, so is, stopping this virus from killing the patient. Ventilators kill some patients too. So, all this criticism about one drug, that's been around awhile with much success in other conditions, mystifies me.

BTW, when there's talk of the USPS stopping service, I can't believe I got this bulky envelope in the mail from my health care provider containing an annual colon stool test at a time like this! They just shorted me on my Rx refill counting it as a full refill, and didn't care at all, but they're worried about my colon at a time like this. They keep sending me emails that they are there for me, but all I needed was my refill, so I wish they'd get it together.
I didn’t think you were being argumentative. I was just bringing up reasons our experience could be different. 400 mg a day would be terrible for me and anyone my size. So if 400 mg a day is needed, that might not be ok for everyone. The amount of plaquenil given for RA and lupus is based on size.

Thank you, and please be careful as well.

Yes, we have a laundry room in the lobby. That's where the mailroom is, as well. I'm hyperaware that the elevator is an enclosed communal space, and that in the lobby and laundry room we are all passing by each other and sharing the same air. That also goes for when it's empty, but people could have been there moments earlier. My 23-story building has three sections, and while I haven't been visiting friends in the other sections of course, so I'm not in those elevators now, all sections use the lobby. Within 5 blocks of me there are 19 buildings of the same size. I haven't gone out in weeks now. Just too much density here.

We are all still in shock about the death of our friend; she's the third person I know who died this week. The other two were Covid. While we still haven't heard that her death was from the virus, I know her husband will always hear her begging him to wear that mask because she was so afraid he'd bring the virus home to her. Whether or not that's what happened, this will tear him apart forever. And he really, really always sacrificed and did so much for her. It's awful.

He also was not allowed to go inside the hospital. She died alone. He can't hold a shiva for her (the Jewish ritual of mourning which involves many mourners comforting the bereaved).

@Curious Me ...this is in response to your post...I don't know why the quote didn't show...please stay well!

Last edited:
FWIW, I saw someone commenting anecdotally on a message board, that H-C prescriptions don't even require a baseline EKG...

Also, some good news for those who wear CPAP machines, or are using fingertip meters religiously to monitor their oxygen levels:

Ventilators are overused for Covid-19 patients, doctors say - STAT

True-- what you said about getting the Rx prescription with absolutely no EKG is true.

An oximeter is such a great health tool.

I do agree having an oxygen compressor or CPAP machine is a plus, but with my COPD and hearing even young people say they could not breathe... well, I don't think my oxygen equipment would save me. It's no surprise that I could catch a cold or flu and check out suddenly, but to hear that some young, healthy people are passing is shocking to me.

I didn’t think you were being argumentative. I was just bringing up reasons our experience could be different. 400 mg a day would be terrible for me and anyone my size. So if 400 mg a day is needed, that might not be ok for everyone. The amount of plaquenil given for RA and lupus is based on size.

JaneEyre, you're a joy on this forum. :) I learn something from everyone on this thread. Yesterday, I learned how to thaw frozen milk correctly. :)

It probably was too high a dose.
I was underweight and of small frame 5'2" at the time of the 400 mg, still didn't bother me, but now I only take 200 mg.

I don't believe that we have ever had a thread here on WS that enjoyed more multi-national participation. It's such a pleasure to hear from members from all around the world, even though the reason for this community is so worrisome.

Kudos to you for running a rescue.

On occasion we will drop by our local pet no-kill rescue/adoption place to drop off clean used towels and bags of dog and cat food when we can. They are always appreciative of things like that we can bring them. But do try to call ahead to make sure of the things they need if you can help them. Our local place must do a lot of bathing and cleaning of their animals because they always request good clean old used towels.

It really makes their day when they can get supplies they need and they do not have to use their limited funds to do it.
Your local animal rescue may not specifically ask, but they may be able to use cleaning supplies, surgical/incontinence pads, IV fluid bags and even medications. I work in vet (shelter) med and generous donations keep us going.

JaneEyre, you're a joy on this forum. :) I learn something from everyone on this thread. Yesterday, I learned how to thaw frozen milk correctly. :)

It probably was too high a dose.
I was underweight and of small frame 5'2" at the time of the 400 mg, still didn't bother me, but now I only take 200 mg.
Oh, my. If you are 5’2” you were definitely being overdosed! They actually go by height, IIRC.

I don't get it either.

I can see that there would be some differences in the types of food that people eat at restaurants and schools vs at home but wouldn't that be minor?

Are people eating less while at home?

I don't know. I have seen friends on Facebook who are baking tons of bread and cakes. Yet, in our house, I have really not been in the mood to cook. A sandwich or eggs for dinner.

Maybe people just are not eating out much, and that is where there is more food purchased and probably wasted.

America's first ER doctor to die on the frontline of the coronavirus battle (Guardian)

At about 5am on 19 March, a New York ER physician named Frank Gabrin texted a friend about his concerns over the lack of medical supplies at hospitals.

“It’s busy – everyone wants a Covid test that I do not have to give them,” he wrote in the message to Eddy Soffer. “So they are angry and disappointed.”

Worse, though, was the limited availability of personal protective equipment (PPE) – the masks and gloves that both prevent healthcare workers getting sick and spreading the virus to others. Gabrin said he had no choice but to don the same mask for several shifts, against Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines.

“Don’t have any PPE that has not been used,” he wrote. “No N95 masks – my own goggles – my own face shield,” he added, referring to the N95 respirators that are considered one of the best lines of defense.

Less than two weeks later, Gabrin became the first ER doctor in the US known to have died as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, according to the American College of Emergency Physicians.
(more)​

This article is from over two weeks ago, on March 24.
See Which States and Cities Have Told Residents to Stay at Home

April 9 update: Mandate still in effect, plus several cities have applied this to all residents.
Gov. Kevin Stitt has told older and vulnerable people across Oklahoma to stay home, but mayors in the state's major cities, including Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Norman, ordered all residents to do so. "We want to leave no doubt," Mayor David Holt of Oklahoma City said. "The safest course of action during this public health crisis is to stay home."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB