Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
The federal government may issue Americans certificates of immunity from the coronavirus at some point, Dr. Anthony Fauci said today on CNN.

"I mean, it's one of those things that we talk about when we want to make sure that we know who the vulnerable people are and not," said Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. "This is something that's being discussed. I think it might actually have some merit, under certain circumstances."
Fauci: US may issue coronavirus immunity cards
I admit I have concerns about this.

Older people who stayed home to avoid the virus will not be able to get an immunity card. It's like being punished for doing the right thing - and it's a "legit" way to discriminate against older people because they are not immune.

I also worry that people will purposely try to get the virus so that they can get an immunity card, taking a risk that could kill them (or spread to others while they are infected).

I am uneasy about the idea of this card, but perhaps it's a reality we need to accept and my fears are unwarranted. ? IDK.

jmo

A nurse who believed she contracted COVID-19 while treating a patient at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit was found dead alone in her Michigan home just days after she was twice denied a coronavirus test because she did not show severe symptoms.

Detroit nurse, 53, who was twice refused a coronavirus test is found dead of COVID-19 in her home as Michigan mourns two other health care workers

This is so sad. How many stories now have we seen where people just drop dead shortly after they realize they are getting sick.

This, amongst other things, to me has been one of the biggest differences in this virus as compared to other normal sicknesses like a cold or flu. With normal sicknesses, we havent seen or heard much about people dropping dead in their tracks.

We saw this starting to happen way back in China in the early days where there were pictures of people literally laying dead in the street. We questioned those pictures at the time because it was just so hard to believe. Its not so hard to believe them now. Uggggg :(

How horrible for this person that did try to get more help earlier. She probably felt so helpless at home. :(

A nurse who believed she contracted COVID-19 while treating a patient at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit was found dead alone in her Michigan home just days after she was twice denied a coronavirus test because she did not show severe symptoms.

Detroit nurse, 53, who was twice refused a coronavirus test is found dead of COVID-19 in her home as Michigan mourns two other health care workers
How in the world are we denying healthcare workers tests???? I am just so sick of this.

l
This infuriates me. A family member is a nurse and has it. No test because not sick enough. No test, no diagnosis, no paid sick leave. She can use vacation time or personal time. She seems better today. No fever, satting at 97%. Jmo

that is beyond disgusting---as far as testing goes ,the United States is operating
like a third world country---my heart goes out to her family

Older people who stayed home to avoid the virus will not be able to get an immunity card. It's like being punished for doing the right thing - and it's a "legit" way to discriminate against older people because they are not immune.

I also worry that people will purposely try to get the virus so that they can get an immunity card, taking a risk that could kill them (or spread to others while they are infected).

I am uneasy about the idea of this card, but perhaps it's a reality we need to accept and my fears are unwarranted. ? IDK.

jmo
I hear your concerns. I'd like to know if I have antibodies so that I can be more useful in the wide world. But
I'd have to have a lot more knowledge about what immunity means for this particular disease, and a lot more faith in the competence and good intentions of those administering these efforts.

I had a nightmare that I was in the show Birdbox. In my version it was Covid we were hiding from.

My husband had a nightmare that he caught Covid and was telling everyone goodbye.
I have strange dreams were I am supposed to be social distancing and suddenly I am in a big crowd. I wake up terrified from that. Usually I don't even remember my dreams.

Apple and Google Team Up to ‘Contact Trace’ the Coronavirus
The technology giants said they would embed a feature in iPhones and Android devices to enable people to track the virus.

<snip> With the tool, infected people would notify a public health app that they have the coronavirus, which would then alert phones that had recently come into proximity with that infected person’s device.

Apple and Google Team Up to ‘Contact Trace’ the Coronavirus

A planned distribution of food turned into a bloody melee on Friday in a poor area of Nairobi, Kenya, where many people’s incomes have evaporated in the epidemic.

A crowd of people tried to force through the gate at the distribution site in Kibera, a crowded slum where many people live without basic amenities like running water. They were driven back by security forces.

Global Coronavirus Cases Pass 1.5 Million and Moscow’s Outbreak Gains Momentum: Live Updates

It is really hard living like we do and seeing so many loose their lives over this virus. But I am constantly reminded by how most are so blessed, especially me and my family! We may not get that loaf of bread, but we are capable of baking some ourselves if needed that badly. We are going without on so many things that we are used to doing, visiting family and friends or going here and there just because we can, but we DO have ways to communicate with them. We are enduring really hard times, but we are not having to fight one another for food to live! That's where I plan to keep my focus; on the blessings I may overlook because I take things for granted.

I only know my cranky old model IPhone, but there is a pre-installed app called Health that has a red heart symbol. If you have that, you can enter the pertinent information, so even if God forbid you are alone and unable to communicate, a first responder will be able to derive the important details about you. It is supposed to be visible even when your phone is locked. Blood type, age, meds, emergency contact numbers.

Your blood type is not of any help as a primary medical information.

All blood providers are required to do their blood typing on a validated specimen drawn in their facility before you receive any blood product, or give O negative if it is an extreme emergency.

I know my own blood type, but my daughter does not know her own. I also have a friend who isn't sure how to find out hers and her 2 boys types.

Donating blood is one way to find out your blood type.

I didn't find out my blood type until I was 24 and pregnant. I had to be notified and given some kind of treatment after birth because it turned out my blood is negative and my now ex-husband is positive. If that weren't the case, I don't know if I'd have found out. But I do know my daughter's, that same baby from when I was 24, who is now 38. I don't remember how I found out.
Maybe when you have a checkup at the doctor and he or she runs a blood test, you can ask for it to be typed?
And of course, as @papillon2126 commented, as a donor you can find out.

jmo

What I don't like about is that it makes people "Tier 1" and "Tier 2". So, let's say I have an "immunity card", for an employer to even ask about that would be illegal health information. But, let's say that they ask you to volunteer that information, and you do...then, any crap hazardous job, goes immediately to Mickey, because she has a "card". And everyone else can stay home in their jammie pants? Forget it.

Are they saying if you get the virus mildly, that you cannot get it again? Just been listening to Trump, saying those are the lucky ones.

I know my own blood type, but my daughter does not know her own. I also have a friend who isn't sure how to find out hers and her 2 boys types.
I asked my GP a couple of months ago if it was in my file. She said no, they don’t spend money to check the type unless needed. She said if you give blood, though, they’ll tell you.

Are they saying if you get the virus mildly, that you cannot get it again? Just been listening to Trump, saying those are the lucky ones.
It’s one of the biggest unanswered questions in the world at the moment. Once someone has had COVID-19, can they get it again? As with seemingly everything concerning the coronavirus pandemic, such as “masks, to wear or not to wear?” and “does hydroxychloroquine treat COVID-19?”, the answer is, unfortunately, not straightforward.​
Can You Get Sick With Coronavirus Twice? The Jury Is Still Out (Forbes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24