Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes your Province Otto is moving in phases appropriate with your situation. Ontario is going to be a bit longer rolling out. A very few things opening up Monday. Landscaping and Nursery's with curbside service. Businesses servicing watercraft open up to service boats but not open to the public yet. Car lots by appt. only, just to name a few.

Interesting. Sounds remarkably sensible. Not only does it speak to possible future use of bodies of water and public land, it reopens some essential businesses.

I think we'll see more of this as governors of provinces and states realize their own situation is different to all others.

Yes your Province Otto is moving in phases appropriate with your situation. Ontario is going to be a bit longer rolling out. A very few things opening up Monday. Landscaping and Nursery's with curbside service. Businesses servicing watercraft open up to service boats but not open to the public yet. Car lots by appt. only, just to name a few.

Exactly. Each province has to decide what is best, but with BC and Sask phasing in, Alberta had to get on board.

It sounds like the states are not at the point of developing phased re-opening for themselves and in collaboration with neighbouring states.

Exactly. Each province has to decide what is best, but with BC and Sask phasing in, Alberta had to get on board.

It sounds like the states are not at the point of developing phased re-opening for themselves and in collaboration with neighbouring states.
I am surprised Quebec is opening up more than Ontario yet Quebec is the hot spot in Canada.

Thanks for explaining. What is a PCR machine? It would be interesting also to know how much the tests and the machines cost.

Polymerase chain reaction. I honestly only know that because of my addiction to Forensic Files—in cases where only a tiny bit of DNA is left behind by an assailant, molecular biologists often use PCR to give them a sufficient amount of DNA to analyze.

Article on young CV patientss having strokes, Dr. Thomas Oxley

Thomas Oxley, a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai in New York and a coauthor of the new report from the New England Journal of Medicine:
Large-Vessel Stroke as a Presenting Feature of Covid-19 in the Young,

“It was very surprising to see the increase in this large-vessel stroke in young people, The bigger the vessel, the bigger the stroke."

“It’s the biggest story emerging” about Covid-19, he adds. The rate of large-vessel stroke victims under 50 they saw was seven times higher than before the pandemic."

Thomas Oxley wasn’t even on call the day he received the page to come to Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital in Manhattan. There weren’t enough doctors to treat all the emergency stroke patients, and he was needed in the operating room.

The patient’s chart appeared unremarkable at first glance. He took no medications and had no history of chronic conditions. He had been feeling fine, hanging out at home during the lockdown like the rest of the country, when suddenly, he had trouble talking and moving the right side of his body. Imaging showed a large blockage on the left side of his head.

Oxley gasped when he got to the patient’s age and covid-19 status: 44, positive.

The man was among several recent stroke patients in their 30s to 40s who were all infected with the coronavirus. The median age for that type of severe stroke is 74.

As Oxley, an interventional neurologist, began the procedure to remove the clot, he observed something he had never seen before. On the monitors, the brain typically shows up as a tangle of black squiggles — “like a can of spaghetti,” he said — that provide a map of blood vessels. A clot shows up as a blank spot. As he used a needlelike device to pull out the clot, he saw new clots forming in real-time around it.

“This is crazy,” he remembers telling his boss.

Reports of strokes in the young and middle-aged — not just at Mount Sinai, but also in many other hospitals in communities hit hard by the novel coronavirus

Even as it has infected nearly 2.8 million people worldwide and killed about 195,000 as of Friday, its biological mechanisms continue to elude top scientific minds. Once thought to be a pathogen that primarily attacks the lungs, it has turned out to be a much more formidable foe — impacting nearly every major organ system in the body. Until recently, there was little hard data on strokes and covid-19.

(Further down in article)

Many doctors expressed worry that as the New York City Fire Department was picking up four times as many people who died at home as normal during the peak of infection that some of the dead had suffered sudden strokes. The truth may never be known because few autopsies were conducted.

Chou said one question is whether the clotting is because of a direct attack on the blood vessels, or a “friendly-fire problem” caused by the patient’s immune response.

There is a video on the page:
As coronavirus hospitalizations in New York began to peak in April, emergency medicine physician Howard Greller recorded his reflections.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2009787

OT. When I want to sleep. I put on Forensic Files (netflix).
Within 10 minutes, I am out like a light.
No drugs here. Some red wine and Forensic File episodes. I'm gone.
Works like a charm! ;-)

Polymerase chain reaction. I honestly only know that because of my addiction to Forensic Files—in cases where only a tiny bit of DNA is left behind by an assailant, molecular biologists often use PCR to give them a sufficient amount of DNA to analyze.

Montreal and Toronto represent about 50 % of the cases in each province, so see what happens?

I think everyone is doing something along the lines of see what happens. Every country has its own approach. Some countries that have reduced restrictions have seen a rise in cases. Canada will find out in 2 weeks. The USA will find out in 1 week - given that many resumed normal life a week ago.

Every province in Canada will not only see what happens, but compare notes across the country to see what works better.

Sweden is a small country though. If you want to do this research, look at Italy (last I looked, they had zero child deaths - but some very seriously ill children).

It's already well known that children do not usually die from this, so I do not think you're going to find any place with numbers that are large enough to meet your view of statistical significance.

No one is studying asymptomatic children much or at all.

What's the point of studying Sweden, for you? Just looking for more child deaths? The deaths in Sweden have been largely in care homes, just like elsewhere. Swedes are known for common sense, so I doubt that they are having school age children visit care homes. So far, most nations have managed to shut down schools before CoVid took hold.

Can you explain why Sweden has such a higher case rate than neighboring countries that did shut down their schools? Because Swedes are certainly interested.

BTW, they did close universities.

Sweden has one of the highest death rates in Europe (22 deaths per 100,000 people).

Sweden says its coronavirus approach has worked. The numbers suggest a different story - CNN

Someone or something is causing increased transmission and death. What do you think it is?

The weather? Humidity?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/se/stockholm/314929/march-weather/314929
https://www.accuweather.com/en/se/stockholm/314929/april-weather/314929?year=2020

In April 22 Conference, Doc T says:

“There are disturbing reports in many countries, in all regions, about discrimination related to COVID-19.

Stigma and discrimination are never acceptable anywhere at anytime, and must be fought in all countries.

As I have said many times, this is a time for solidarity, not stigma.”

The SARS-Coronavirus, named Covid-19, has been given different names that have resulted in racial outbreaks. Spread is higher in areas with multigenerational homes, another factor that plays into race / discrimination.

“Blood Clots CV

Many patients are developing small-clots in their lungs, reducing the amount of oxygen they can move into their bodies. For others, their blood is clogging dialysis machines (which has been a problem due to the amount of kidney failure this illness is also causing).”

Coronavirus’s new mystery: It’s causing strokes in healthy people

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members