Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #59

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.
Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Updates and chat - United States:
Current Statistics for Each Individual States

Updates and chat - Other Countries:
Stats and Information from Other Countries

Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined

Facial Mask Making - Coronavirus
Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine
Recipes to share during Coronavirus quarantine
Health and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine
Quarantine Vegetable Gardens

WS Members/loved ones who have Coronavirus and testing

Individuals and Companies that have donated to the Coronavirus COVID-19 cause

Memorial Thread - COVID-19 Coronavirus

______

Case details for US and Canada:
COVID-19/Coronavirus Real Time Updates With Credible Sources in US and Canada | 1Point3Acres

Case details for the entire world:
Coronavirus Update (Live): 206,893 Cases and 8,272 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Everyone,

If you want to quote what the president or anyone in his administrations who give information on what they are doing to contain the virus that is absolutely fine.
THIS IS ME BEGGING NOW. NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT.
PLEASE USE OUR PRIVATE MESSAGING SYSTEM IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS POLITICS IN ANY WAY. YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 20 PEOPLE ON A PRIVATE MESSAGE. LOOK IN THE UPPER RIGHT-HAND CORNER. YOU WILL SEE YOUR USER NAME. NEXT TO THAT IS "INBOX". CLICK ON INBOX AND YOU CAN ACCESS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGE SYSTEM.

OK, not begging now.

I am so impressed with our members posting much-needed info and members helping each other. I swear I sit here and cry happy tears at how incredible you are with this pandemic.

Please join me tonight on Websleuths Live on YouTube at 10:00 PM Eastern. CLICK HERE to join us live. We have a great chat room going on. and I want to personally invite you all to join us. One main rule. If you a jerk in chat or if you start making inflammatory comments about politics or whatever you will be kicked out. Then you will be forced to listen to Donny Osmonds "Puppy Love" for 30 days. So please behave.
See you tonight.
Love,
Tricia
PS. I actually love Donny Osmond. Very talented, a great businessman and fantastic human being, but, Puppy Love is painful. LOL

Please remember ...

No blatantly political posts.
Do not be rude or argumentative.
Do not discuss other members or enquire as to their whereabouts. Members are entitled to their privacy.

Do not discuss moderators, moderation, or removed posts. Doing so can result in a temporary or permanent ban from Websleuths.

If you state information as fact, you must provide a link to support that fact. No link, no post !!

Members may copy their own posts from the general discussion thread over to relevant, more local threads in other appropriate Covid-19 sub-forums. If you think someone else's post relates specifically to another thread within the forum, please use the Report feature to let Mods/Admins know and we will move it on over for you.

If you wish to start a new thread, please run it by a Mod or Admin for approval.

Stay safe, healthy, strong and be kind to others.

MOD REMINDER:

THERE ARE A NUMBER OF SPECIFIC SUB-FORUMS THAT HAVE BEEN CREATED TO DISCUSS THE MANY ASPECTS OF THIS EXTRAORDINARY TIME. PLEASE TRY TO KEEP YOUR POSTS ABOUT SPECIFIC TOPICS IN THOSE SUB-FORUMS TO ALLOW THOSE INTERESTED IN THOSE TOPICS TO SEE YOUR POSTS. POSTING THEM IN THIS MAIN THREAD MAKES IT MORE DIFFICULT TO FIND THEM AND CAN VEER THE MAIN THREAD A BIT SIDEWAYS. THANKS FOR TRYING YOUR BEST TO KEEP US ON TRACK!

BELOW ARE SOME QUICK LINKS, BUT THEY ARE EASY TO FIND UNDER THE MAIN COVID HEADING ABOUT SAFETY TIPS AND THINGS TO DO WHILE QUARANTINED:

VEGETABLE GARDENS

QUARANTINE RECIPES
GROCERY SHOPPING
HEALTH & SAFETY TIPS
MAKING YOUR OWN HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS
FACE MASKS FOR PROTECTION
HOMESCHOOLING
SMILES CAFE

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

Permanent thread bans have been and will be issued for members who persist in trying to make the thread about politics.

In case you have not read the opening posts above, please etch this part of Tricia's post above in your memory:

NO MATTER HOW FRUSTRATED YOU FEEL, HOW GRATEFUL YOU FEEL OR HOW YOU FEEL WITH ANY OF THE COMMENTS COMING FROM THE WHITEHOUSE OR THEIR ADMINISTRATION DO NOT PUT IT ON THIS THREAD. DO NOT PUT TOGETHER A POST THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POLITICAL STATEMENT AND THEN TRY AND SAY IT IS NOT

Coronavirus: Can we stay safe as lockdown eases?

As we venture out this article may help.

What are the key factors?
The most obvious is distance.

Research that began in the 1930s showed that when someone coughs, most of the droplets they release either evaporate or fall to the ground within about one metre.

That's why the World Health Organization (WHO) settled on its "one metre" rule for social distancing.

Some governments have opted for a safer limit of 1.5m with the UK and others preferring an even more cautious 2m.

The guidance essentially means that the further you're apart, the safer you ought to be but it's not distance alone that matters.

The second key factor is timing - how long you're close to someone.

_111510366_060545244.jpg
Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionThe UK government has adopted a 2m rule for social distancing

The UK government's advice is that spending six seconds with an infected person 1m away carries the same risk as spending one minute with them if they're 2m away.

And where it's not possible to keep your distance from a colleague, the aim is to limit the time together to 15 minutes.

But as well as timing, there's another important issue: ventilation.

Being outside carries the least risk because any virus released by someone infected will be diluted in the breeze.

That doesn't mean the possibility of transmission is zero.

Even out of doors, the UK's official advice is to stay 2m apart and, if you're closer, try not to talk face-to-face.

But inside, where there isn't much fresh air and where people might be close together for longer, the chances of becoming infected are obviously greater.

More at link.

Committee asks why there was 'no plan' for nursing homes, and concerns about a winter flu surge: Today's Covid-19 main points

(Ireland)

TAOISEACH LEO VARADKAR called it a “significant milestone” that no deaths of people with Covid-19 was recorded yesterday for the first time since mid-March.

The last date we had no Covid-19 deaths was 21 March – over two months ago.

If further evidence was needed that the social distancing measures and lockdown restrictions are working, this morning Health Minister Simon Harris tweeted out a graph of the number of confirmed cases in Irish hospitals.

It’s fallen from a peak of almost 1,000 to less than 300.

But we’re also not out of the woods yet.

Dr Catherine Motherway, president of the Intensive Care Society of Ireland, told RTÉ’s Morning Ireland that hospital staff are “considerably worried” ahead of next winter’s flu season as the hospital system is always under pressure during that period.

“That’s going to be very difficult and will be a significant challenge for those of us trying to get elective surgical activity through the hospital system in the winter.”

Here are today’s Covid-19 main points:
  • Nursing Homes Ireland (NHI) will today tell the Oireachtas Special Committee on Covid-19 that NPHET challenged the NHI’s decision to restrict visitors to nursing homes, and hundreds of discharges were made from acute hospitals to nursing homes in the first weeks of the pandemic.
  • Follow our political correspondent Christina Finn’s coverage here.
  • Phelim Quinn of Hiqa, HSE representatives, and officials from the Department of Justice will also appear before the committee later.
  • There have been a total of 1,606 deaths, and 24,698 cases of Covid-19 in Ireland.
  • The Children’s Rights Alliance is asking for measures to be put in place for children during the summer months, amid concerns that young people may “disengage” from education.
  • There is “considerable worry” among hospital staff about this year’s winter flu season, coupled with the coronavirus pandemic, on the Irish hospital system.
  • An outbreak of the mumps in Ireland has significantly declined due to restrictions imposed during the coronavirus pandemic, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre has said.
  • Solicitors have voiced their concerns at being unable to speak to clients in custody while maintaining social distancing.
  • Trade union Siptu has called on employers in the contract cleaning sector to honour a 40 cent-per-hour pay increase for cleaners that they say has been agreed upon but not implemented.
  • Energia has partnered with not-for-profit social enterprise GIY, to give away 1,000 large GROWBoxes and a bag of Irish Wildflower Beebombs which help re-create bee habitats and are vital to help the threatened species survive.

My stimulus money pretty much went toward covid gear. Like has been pointed out, unfortunately in the summer it might get really hot if using all these masks and face shields. It is also hard to stay in the mask for a long period of time (my job wants me to have the mask on when I am at work). But I am finding out that mask wearing gets a little easier with practice, as originally I couldn't stay in it for long at all without constantly trying to adjust it (which kind of defeats the purpose of wearing it-you shouldn't touch it after it's on and you are in public). But now I feel I can stay in a mask for longer periods (although not all day yet). But hopefully with practice I can stay in a mask for a long time like a pro.

My stimulus money pretty much went toward covid gear. Like has been pointed out, unfortunately in the summer it might get really hot if using all these masks and face shields. It is also hard to stay in the mask for a long period of time (my job wants me to have the mask on when I am at work). But I am finding out that mask wearing gets a little easier with practice, as originally I couldn't stay in it for long at all without constantly trying to adjust it (which kind of defeats the purpose of wearing it-you shouldn't touch it after it's on and you are in public). But now I feel I can stay in a mask for longer periods (although not all day yet). But hopefully with practice I can stay in a mask for a long time like a pro.

I have the luxury of driving from store to store so I don't wear one nonstop. We had a hot, humid day yesterday. I found out I have to adjust to mask wearing in the heat. It wasn't pretty. Jmo

I have the luxury of driving from store to store so I don't wear one nonstop. We had a hot, humid day yesterday. I found out I have to adjust to mask wearing in the heat. It wasn't pretty. Jmo
I think you can take the mask off in the car and put it back on when going back out (using hand sanitizer before taking it off and putting it back on). Keep it in a paper bag in between. That's what they were telling the doctors to do when reusing their supposedly one time disposable N95s-keep it in a brown paper bag between uses.

Not sure what isn't pretty... But I know what isn't pretty for me. I am quite the sweater. I find myself opening some of the freezer cabinets more than I should when at the grocery store. I am so used to it..but think some must think I am sick when sweating so!

Not sure what isn't pretty... But I know what isn't pretty for me. I am quite the sweater. I find myself opening some of the freezer cabinets more than I should when at the grocery store. I am so used to it..but think some must think I am sick when sweating so!

Same. I was sweating buckets. Lol.

I think you can take the mask off in the car and put it back on when going back out (using hand sanitizer before taking it off and putting it back on). Keep it in a paper bag in between. That's what they were telling the doctors to do when reusing their supposedly one time disposable N95s-keep it in a brown paper bag between uses.

I don't wear it in my car. I was sweating so bad wearing it, my shirt was soaked.

I just have them hanging from all my knobs!! Guess that doesn't sound very "clean"...

hey...are the pages stuck here...I cannot go to a new page...
Mine is in brown paper bag. Paper bag allows it to breathe and any virus if it's on there will dry out. If you put it in a plastic bag it can not breathe. After use I stick it in a UVC box for sterilization. I've read that some hospitals are using UVC light to sterilize their used N95s. After sterilization it goes into a new clean paper bag. The masks are not supposed to be reusable, but obviously with these prices and difficulty of finding them, I can't throw them out after each use (I presume same goes for most of people). So I am trying to follow practices that hospitals use when re-using their N95s. If you don't have a UV box, you can alternate your masks, and after a period of time, the virus will just die on its own (presumably).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members