Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #70

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's terrific. Four of my son's coworkers have been waiting for 11 days for their results. He is teleworking but his coworkers chose not to, and their company said anyone who was uncomfortable could telework. They were exposed by another coworker who is currently in the hospital - mid 30s no underlying health conditions. Florida Panhandle. Where are you?
The 4 coworkers that are waiting for results are teleworking?

You are remembering right. Some independent sciencey people took a look and saw that if someone has had Covid, but they recover nicely and then 3 months later have a heart attack or get hit by a bus or whatever, it still has Covid on their death certificate and is counted in the daily stats. Which is clearly crazy!! I think in Scotland/Wales/NI there is a 28 day limit after which the Covid bit would not be included, whereas in England there's no time limit - but still, if you get hit by a bus at any time, surely that ain't a Covid death?!!

It's confusing and disheartening, but there is a full inquiry being held so hopefully it'll get cleared up and fingers crossed our death ratio will reduce.
Thank you. I have so much information in my head these days I sometimes don't know if I'm coming or going.

I wonder if the confusion may be down to the registrars receiving vague or conflicting instructions about how to code the data. Proper coding does require a level of educated discernment in interpreting the entirety of the data when coding it.

Unfortunately, someone is going to have to go back to the source data and reverify it all. That is going to take quite a bit of time or a large number of people.

I supervised the cancer registry at a very large hospital for years and there were indeed times we had to go back to source data and re-code it. Not fun. I do not envy whoever has to go back and do this. jmo

Thanks Mags, I'll try and condense it for you!!

Death rate: English rate being amended due to an over-reporting glitch, there is an inquiry underway and I hope it will bring our overall death toll down because it's terrible.

New deaths: averaging under 100 per day since the beginning of July. On tenterhooks hoping there's not a surge as we ease out of lockdown.

New cases: up and down but averaging about 600 a day. In the last few weeks anyone can have a test at a drive through testing centre (was previously restricted to hospital admissions and keyworkers)

Masks: already mandated on public transport, and in shops from 24th (varies in Scotland/NI/Wales)

Hospitals: under control and increasingly low admissions. The temporary hospitals weren't needed after all. Nursing course applications have sky-rocketed which is excellent to hear.

Schools: have been open throughout the pandemic for keyworkers kids, and to selected year groups in 'bubbles' of 10 since the beginning of June. No major problems or big scary outbreaks. It's now the summer holidays nationwide (7 weeks ish) and schools reopen around 8th September. Earlier, I think, in Scotland.

Economy: generally screwed, like everywhere, for the next million years. Government still paying furlough to employees and bonuses to companies for maintaining staff. Government also helping restaurants out by paying £10 towards each customers meal. I will take advantage of this if it helps local businesses.

Society: in limbo like that weird period between Christmas and New Year. Do I know what day it is? Not always! Are we still in lockdown? Probably not, but maybe a bit, but everything has changed, and people are worried about what is happening across the pond. Even though the shops and pubs are open I don't know anyone who is anywhere near back to "normal" yet.

Fabulous summary and totally agree with the limbo feeling.

This myth about factual reports in these discussions being based on political prejudice needs to STOP. Not only is it illogical as the facts speak for themselves, it’s unfounded. Posters shouldn’t have to deal with so much resistance and negativity when they come here to discuss this awful virus. Nor is it logical, constructive or respectful on any level to minimize it.

I agree with all the negativity spewing about, but I haven’t read posts minimizing the virus in here.

TWiV 642: Bringin' in 50 keys of spike mRNA | This Week in Virology

This Week in Virology podcast, Dr Daniel Griffin is on for the first part; they are starting to see cases rise in NY again, including ICU cases; he also laments the slowdown of testing and points out that rapid tests would make it easier to re-open schools.

Test turnaround in my metro used to be 1-2 days, it’s now over a week ...

Thank you. I have so much information in my head these days I sometimes don't know if I'm coming or going.

I wonder if the confusion may be down to the registrars receiving vague or conflicting instructions about how to code the data. Proper coding does require a level of educated discernment in interpreting the entirety of the data when coding it.

Unfortunately, someone is going to have to go back to the source data and reverify it all. That is going to take quite a bit of time or a large number of people.

I supervised the cancer registry at a very large hospital for years and there were indeed times we had to go back to source data and re-code it. Not fun. I do not envy whoever has to go back and do this. jmo

Yes, it will be a laborious task for some poor sod! I suppose they can 'green light' the hospital deaths from the CV wards and ICUs, but I am very averse to them counting a Covid death if it really wasn't.

An acquaintance's mum died of cancer recently. She'd suffered horribly and was receiving palliative care for a long time in a cancer hospice, and eventually given just hours to live. I don't know if she was tested just before or after her death, but it was positive and her cause of death was duly recorded as Covid. The family are very upset, not least as the hospice staff were brilliant and the family had raised thousands for them in the last few months. Above all, they asked for further investigation because they realised if her death was mis-recorded, how many others are too?

Weirdly, after saying they'd pause reporting, they reported 40 deaths yesterday and 27 today. Possible these are only hospital deaths and not all settings. Or they decided to carry on reporting and adjust the numbers when they've sussed it out. Not sure what's going on!

This reminds me of something Dr. Mike has talked about: While many entities are trying to get their case data reported as soon as possible, we have to remember that, paraphrasing, things are so hectic right now on the front itself; therefore, doctors, etc. can’t always report things as quickly as they’d like, because they are tending to other more pressing issues. Not saying this is related to the above, it just reminded me of it.

I can't speak to every area/county but the county where I reside has just declined federal testing sites because they aren't effective. In fact they are worthless when results aren't available for up to ten days. The county of Dallas will pick up the costs which are huge. Testing in the entire country is abysmal and as long as that is the case we can stand back and watch the numbers soar. ‘We'll Do It Ourselves': Jenkins Says Federal Test Results Take Too Long, Declines Extended Resources
Thank goodness Dallas has a county judge that follows the science and comes up with a plan when the federal response has been sorely lacking.

Yes, but we are discussing the provisions of the upcoming stimulus bill.

"The White House is trying to block billions of dollars for coronavirus testing and contact tracing in the upcoming stimulus relief bill, two Republican sources told NBC News, even as infections surge across the country and Americans face long wait times to receive test results amid high demand."
Report: Trump Wants To Block Funding For Virus Testing, CDC In Next Stimulus Package

This article says it is because they still have $25 billion from the last round available for testing.

Well, if you are talking about reporting on things they say and do about the crisis that has killed about 142,000 of the people who pay them, then we are talking about reality, honesty, science, and accountability. Those are the values that helped make America great, and I won't turn my back on that.

Excellent post, Reasonable&Just. Well said.

Unfortunately, not everyone lives in such a place. People in FL and TX are waiting a week or more. Sometimes two weeks. Where I live, it varies from 24 hours to 5 days. In Los Angeles County, they're working to get it back to 48 hours.

From what I'm observing, both the "sent home to quarantine" and the "awaiting test results" groups are not 100% staying isolated. In fact, the second group (waiting for tests) may actually be going to work, as some of my students are doing.
Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member