Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shut down the country and start over to contain Covid-19 - CNN

More than 150 prominent US medical experts, scientists, teachers, nurses and others have signed a letter urging political leaders to shut down the country and start over to contain the surging coronavirus pandemic.

Shut it down, start over, do it right | U.S. PIRG

Dear decision makers,

Hit the reset button.

Of all the nations in the world, we’ve had the most deaths from COVID-19. At the same time, we’re in the midst of “reopening our economy,” exposing more and more people to coronavirus and watching numbers of cases -- and deaths -- skyrocket.

In March, people went home and stayed there for weeks, to keep themselves and their neighbors safe. You didn’t use the time to set us up to defeat the virus. And then you started to reopen anyway, and too quickly.

Right now we are on a path to lose more than 200,000 American lives by November 1st. Yet, in many states people can drink in bars, get a haircut, eat inside a restaurant, get a tattoo, get a massage, and do myriad other normal, pleasant, but non-essential activities.

(More at link)

What Is Cohorting? And Is It The Cure For Colorado’s Coronavirus School Worries?

“School districts, parents and teachers are scrambling to figure out how to educate kids in the age of coronavirus as fall quickly approaches. Districts around Colorado have released various plans — some have turned to remote learning, others will have in-person classes while a few will have a mix.

One safeguard that’s been floated are cohorts or keeping a group of students and staff together throughout the school year. A certain amount of students specified by each district would stay together throughout the school day as they move through their lessons to limit exposure to other students and staff.

District officials say this will help them track any potential spread of the virus and if there is an outbreak, mitigate the spread to other students by isolating that specific bunch of students.”

[...]

“The state has advised cohorts as just one precautionary step districts should take for students to return to school during the COVID-19 pandemic, said Dr. Alexis Burakoff, a medical epidemiologist with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

“What we're hoping is that schools can limit the number of people that each student and staff member interacts with ideally to kind of one closed group so that if there is an illness among a member of that group, it's very clear who has been exposed,” she said.“

[...]

“We understand that this cohorting does not extend to what people do at home and on the weekends, et cetera, and so the best thing we can do is just continue to educate our communities about being safe outside of school hours,” she said. “What it can really do is help the response in the event that there are illnesses in school, which we know that there will be.”“

I had a conversation with a coworker today about the choice she has to send her child to school or E-learn instead. We keep hearing that kids really need face to face learning, that somehow they are going to be damaged if they only do E-learning. But I haven't heard anyone talk about the damage that will be done putting them through a series of unpredictable and constant changes to their routine.

We all know at some point they will each be pulled out for quarantine and that schools may open, shut down, open again, and on and on. I think this lack of routine and general inconsistency is what is going to cause them problems. It's going to be a sort of mental whiplash.

And have we even discussed yet how it might effect some of the more sensitive kids when their buddies are pulled out for having the virus and they worry if their friend is even going to be ok? Or their teacher? Because you know some of their teachers will get sick. Some may even die.

It seems to me they would be better off knowing what to expect for the entire year. And the only way that can happen is to just start off and stick with E-learning.

If parents choose to send them back, or have no other choice, I hope they pay extra close attention to their kids' mental and emotional well-being when routines start getting upset - because they will.

Obviously, JMO

I’m wondering who will teach the elementary children while the parents are at work. I’ve seen a lot of people posting that they had great success with homeschooling, how does that work with single parents that work full time?

I have a co-worker that has been seriously ill with the virus for 3 weeks. He is slowly recovering but his words to me 'this has been a scary ride'.. He is lucky in that his daughter that works in the virus portion of ICU. He was very lucky to have a personal contact with a person that deals with patients that have the Virus. My spouse's aunt died yesterday from the virus . This virus is for real.

Shut down the country and start over to contain Covid-19 - CNN

More than 150 prominent US medical experts, scientists, teachers, nurses and others have signed a letter urging political leaders to shut down the country and start over to contain the surging coronavirus pandemic.

Shut it down, start over, do it right | U.S. PIRG

Dear decision makers,

Hit the reset button.

Of all the nations in the world, we’ve had the most deaths from COVID-19. At the same time, we’re in the midst of “reopening our economy,” exposing more and more people to coronavirus and watching numbers of cases -- and deaths -- skyrocket.

In March, people went home and stayed there for weeks, to keep themselves and their neighbors safe. You didn’t use the time to set us up to defeat the virus. And then you started to reopen anyway, and too quickly.

Right now we are on a path to lose more than 200,000 American lives by November 1st. Yet, in many states people can drink in bars, get a haircut, eat inside a restaurant, get a tattoo, get a massage, and do myriad other normal, pleasant, but non-essential activities.

(More at link)

When asked about this letter, Dr. Fauci said that he doesn't think it is necessary to shut down the country and start over. He said some areas might want to hit "pause" if they are surging, or go back to an earlier phase of their reopening, but if people would practice social distancing, wear face coverings, and wash their hands often, then that would be best while we wait for the vaccine.

Dr. Fauci: Don’t think it’s necessary to shut down the country amid coronavirus pandemic

I am so glad that my children are adults. I feel for parents that have to work and school age children. It is hard today to live on one income and what is a single parent supposed to do?? There is no good answer. I feel for them. Life is so darn unfair.

I’m wondering who will teach the elementary children while the parents are at work. I’ve seen a lot of people posting that they had great success with homeschooling, how does that work with single parents that work full time?

Or in a home with 2 parents both working full time. Whatever type of schooling it's not going to be ideal for the kids or parents. IDK, I guess we just have to do the best we can and forge ahead.

Parents also need to weigh the potential psychological anguish experienced by children should they become infected at school and bring it home to their loved ones or pass it on to their teachers or friends. How will kids cope with the guilt if they unwittingly spread it to people who become very sick or die from it? That kind of harm can last a lifetime.

Especially since the latest studies suggest kids from 10-19 yrs old seem to have a similar infection transmission rate as adults (Fauci himself said this in a very informative online interview with Sal from Khan Academy today). Source:
Discussion about schools reopening and child infection rates starts at 17 mins in if you want to skip to that.

Anyone else have hippie hair?? My hair is as long as I had in high school and believe me it is too long and I am too old for hair this long. I work from home and go to Walmart once a week, no one sees me but my pups and they don't care about my hair.

Talking about education, what impact is this going to have on teachers??? I totally respect teachers (I could never be one) but how many jobs have been impacted. If kids and teachers are sent to school even with masks, there is still danger. Where I live, school starts soon and students will be in the virtual school world for several weeks. Are teachers losing their jobs??

Anyone else have hippie hair?? My hair is as long as I had in high school and believe me it is too long and I am too old for hair this long. I work from home and go to Walmart once a week, no one sees me but my pups and they don't care about my hair.
Yes,me! I am 76 years old...quite grey...and am now wearing a high pony tail. Second childhood I guess.

I think they create small co-ops of neighbors and volunteers who they know. They can use older teens and college students who are available as well.
I saw a post or an article about a teacher who could charge x amount of money to school 5-10 children and actually make more money per month than she would teaching.
Of course she'd need to have insurance through a spouse I guess.
I'll look for link
Here are 2
They don't discuss $
just options.
Pandemic school pods.
As school reopenings falter, some Texas parents hire private teachers. Others can only afford to cross their fingers.
Pods, Microschools and Tutors: Can Parents Solve the Education Crisis on Their Own?

Moo

Last edited:
I live in redneckville and the local nursing home that houses around 100 resisdents, 70 of them have tested positive for the virus. This is insanity. These poor people. With all the pre-cautions taken, these 70 residents have the virus, this will not end well.

I had a conversation with a coworker today about the choice she has to send her child to school or E-learn instead. We keep hearing that kids really need face to face learning, that somehow they are going to be damaged if they only do E-learning. But I haven't heard anyone talk about the damage that will be done putting them through a series of unpredictable and constant changes to their routine.

We all know at some point they will each be pulled out for quarantine and that schools may open, shut down, open again, and on and on. I think this lack of routine and general inconsistency is what is going to cause them problems. It's going to be a sort of mental whiplash.

And have we even discussed yet how it might effect some of the more sensitive kids when their buddies are pulled out for having the virus and they worry if their friend is even going to be ok? Or their teacher? Because you know some of their teachers will get sick. Some may even die.

It seems to me they would be better off knowing what to expect for the entire year. And the only way that can happen is to just start off and stick with E-learning.

If parents choose to send them back, or have no other choice, I hope they pay extra close attention to their kids' mental and emotional well-being when routines start getting upset - because they will.

Obviously, JMO

I spent a couple of hours with my hairdresser yesterday. She has two young children. In safe-ish South Australia - at the moment - her eldest (6 years old) has been asking "mummy, am I going to get sick and die?" "mummy, what is covid?" "mummy, what is a mask?"

She said that they have had to have some pretty deep adult-and-6-year-old conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa