Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked up the study and seems they eat a lot of cabbage in Latvia and a lot of cucumbers in Greece, and the low rate of COVID-19 in both of those countries is similar, and they are looking at the high consumption of cabbage and cucumbers. I remember the cabbage soup recipe from years ago for weight loss. Might start making some cabbage soup again, especially this winter.

Good idea. It’s also a great detox.

Michelle Troconis denied hearing to remove GPS tracking device

July 10, 2020

STAMFORD — The state Appellate Court has denied Michelle Troconis’ request for an emergency hearing to have her electronic monitoring device removed.

The motions were denied as “untimely” and the Appellate Court can only step in if the motions were denied by a Superior Court judge — which has not happened, the order said.

Her attorney had a lot of nerve to file those motions in the Appellate Court!
Can't appeal a decision that's never been delivered in a hearing that never happened. It did not exist! MOO

Well, here's a new twist ..... cabbage and cucumber 'could' help the body fight the virus.

The science behind this is based on a protein called Nrf2.
The virus that causes COVID-19 often results in serious inflammation for the sickest patients. NrF2 can reduce that inflammation. Vegetables like cabbage and cucumber can boost the production of NrF2.

In short, more cucumber and cabbage means you have a better chance of battling the virus.

It’s all absolutely fascinating, and even promising, but like all things surrounding COVID-19 needs a lot more investigation.
https://7news.com.au/travel/coronav...er-could-reduce-covid-19-death-rate-c-1183365

I looked up the study and seems they eat a lot of cabbage in Latvia and a lot of cucumbers in Greece, and the low rate of COVID-19 in both of those countries is similar, and they are looking at the high consumption of cabbage and cucumbers. I remember the cabbage soup recipe from years ago for weight loss. Might start making some cabbage soup again, especially this winter.

Good idea. It’s also a great detox.
I've been making this for years - sometimes I use Kale or turnip / mustard greens too
Ww 0 Point Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup Recipe - Food.com
Will put this in the recipes thread too.

Coronavirus: eating more cabbage and cucumber might reduce death rate, European study says

Here's another link to the study of cabbage and cucumber and COVID-19 rates in Latvia and Greece. In Latvia, 30 grams of cabbage are consumed daily, according to the study. Not so much in Britain, France and other countries studied. Also, broccoli and cauliflower did not yield similar results, according to the study. And lettuce, which is consumed in Italy and Spain in large amounts, also did not have same results, according to study. So more research is clearly needed.

Virginia tops 1000 per day. No PC since last Tues.

Latest update from our Governor...

FB post with link to testing sites. My city has 2. One is a local federal clinic, doing telemed only and 1 CVS with NO open appointments. Our local physicians are refusing to test in the office. They'll give you a prescription but you have to find a site. Some are driving up to 100 miles to be tested.

Percentage of new positive COVID-19 cases rises in Virginia

The Virginia Department of Health is reporting 80,393 total cases of coronavirus in the commonwealth as of Wednesday morning. That’s up from 79,371 reported Tuesday, a 1,022-case increase. That’s up from the 996-case increase from Monday to Tuesday.

There are 2,051 recorded coronavirus-related deaths in the commonwealth, up from 2,048 reported Tuesday, and there have been 7,351 total hospitalizations. 951,174 PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests have been conducted, with a 7.9 percent positive rate over the last week, up from the 7.7 percent rate reported the last two days.

Coronavirus: People in care homes to be reunited with families as visits to resume

People in care homes are set to be reunited with family members after the government said visits will once again be allowed.

Care home visits, which had been halted during the coronavirus crisis, will resume once local officials decide it is safe to do so.

The government published new guidance on Wednesday for how care homes can restart visits while also limiting the risk of further COVID-19 outbreaks.

Risk assessments will be done prior to homes being reopened and, should visits then be allowed, visitors will be encouraged to wear face coverings as well as gloves and aprons, if necessary.

Care homes are also being urged to consider whether visits can take place in communal gardens or outdoor areas.

In order to limit the overall number of visitors and the risk of infection to a care home, the government said visits should be limited to a single constant visitor - such as a son, daughter or wife - per resident, wherever possible.

Well, here's a new twist ..... cabbage and cucumber 'could' help the body fight the virus.

The science behind this is based on a protein called Nrf2.
The virus that causes COVID-19 often results in serious inflammation for the sickest patients. NrF2 can reduce that inflammation. Vegetables like cabbage and cucumber can boost the production of NrF2.

In short, more cucumber and cabbage means you have a better chance of battling the virus.

It’s all absolutely fascinating, and even promising, but like all things surrounding COVID-19 needs a lot more investigation.
https://7news.com.au/travel/coronav...er-could-reduce-covid-19-death-rate-c-1183365
This makes me wonder about sauerkraut. I've just learned to lacto-ferment cabbage and I like it so much better than both canned sauerkraut or plain cabbage. MOO.

I am starting to believe denial is more contagious than COVID.
If I had to guess 45% of my friends, who I've known for decades, are still saying every death is called covid. Even from years ago, when a story comes out about a cold case, wait until November, it'll be gone, they have all been to Florida, most of them to the panhandle. Not gonna live in fear, not gonna wear a mask.
I'm shocked at the level of stupidity!!!
Just goes to show, you never really know anyone.
Somehow, every one of them has avoided the virus as have their immediate family.
I know one who got it, but she won't admit to having it and still acts like a fool.
Moo

I'm surrounded by these people. I decided it was too stressful trying to educate them. I'm trying to not even post on my wall about it to avoid the arguments. They'll learn on their own. Though I mean so far everything is always worse than they predict or assume and they still aren't learning anything. I assume they will figure it out once they or their loved ones get sick.

Or maybe they'll deny it even then and claim the doctor's are lying about their test results. They all seem really heavily invested in living in a state of denial. I however am heavily invested in facing reality and preparing my family for that reality. Also invested in protecting my family and minimizing risks. If things turn out better than expected we're still fine and still prepared to handle that. I consider that preferable to the opposite.

I wonder if life insurance companies are re-writing life insurance policies with covid clauses that exempt any payout for covid deaths?

We know that travel insurance companies are not covering covid related expenses.

Yikes, can they really do that? Because if they can and my husband dies we are totally screwed.

The article list each restaurants violations, most are bars.

3 Norfolk, 2 Virginia Beach restaurants' food permits suspended after violating COVID-19 guidelines

The Virginia Department of Health says 5 Norfolk and Virginia Beach restaurants' food permits after conducting complaint inspections over the weekend.

Norfolk health officials conducted 11 complaint inspections, which resulted in 3 food permit suspensions. Virginia Beach conducted a total of 12 complaint inspections, resulting in two food permit suspensions.

All five permits suspended this weekend are still suspended, officials say.

<snipped>
These violations led to the suspension of their food permits.

1,000 died of Covid-19 in 1 day. Now the US is on track to hit 1 million new cases in 2 weeks

FEMA head says coronavirus hot spots may face PPE shortages, U.S. isn't 'out of the woods'

Hundreds of Yosemite National Park visitors may have had coronavirus
The county began testing the wastewater from the Yosemite Valley, where the celebrated granite Half Dome is located, in June. Based on their findings, health officials believe that an estimated 170 people in the park the week of the Fourth of July may have been infected with the coronavirus.

Last edited:
Seems like this is still useful in early treatment.

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://www.foxnews.com/media/hydroxychloroquine-could-save-lives-ingraham-yale-professor&h=AT1pnUOSZ_pf-g_QYjCkB2KLZeBVhx5lPzHNX7Y74mM8oiCb38u_mz_-dDnBPGhV_FS22bV7MTG5TwaxW2yAXlmFx9VeMdy2AH8yqebqW6VsdjGVFfpdDVctUJullwEzlXbw49xYsGGyxcGkGw&s=1

The study, published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases, determined that hydroxychloroquine provided a "66 percent hazard ratio reduction," and hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin a 71 percent reduction, compared with neither treatment.

Unfortunately, it's a retrospective cohort study with no word on how the patients were divided into treatment categories by their doctors. Presumably, some of the patients weren't as sick as others. It would have been interesting to know how many of the ventilated patients, alone, did better on HCQ + Z (which was the most effective treatment but of course, I wouldn't think anyone without pneumonia would get Z - so that's already a confounding variable).

Interestingly and of note is that some of the patients also got a steroid, but this was not disaggregated in the study and several reviewers of this article have said that it will be difficult in future to withhold steroids from patient groups who are getting any other regiment, including HCQ.

No one with heart irregularities was put on HCQ + Z (and heart irregularities are a symptom of more severe CoVid). Some severely ill patients with mild cardiac irregularities did get HCQ by itself. No one over 76 was in the study. The median age of the HCQ only patients was younger than the median age of the No HCQ patients, presumably because their doctors worried about giving older patients with mildly abnormal ECG's the drug. There were also more males in the No HCQ group, which is itself associated with greater mortality.

The study itself says that more study is needed (blind). In short, this study shows that nothing bad happened to less sick, slightly younger, non-cardiac patients when they took HCQ - and they got better at a higher rate.

Since we know from other studies that people with cardiac arrhythmias (both prior to CoVid and first appearing during CoVId) don't do so well, that needs to be disentangled in future study.

The double blind studies do not seem to show the same advantage for HCQ, which is of course the kind of study that actually guides its use.

1. How would he know that the sleeping arrangements and common bathrooms were the spreaders? Was there a test group of children who had their own rooms and private bathrooms? And another test group of children who shared sleeping areas and bathrooms? I don't think so.

2. There are common bathrooms at every school.

Children also breathe inside of classrooms, just as in cabins. I suppose it could be argued that children are in cabins more often than they're in class, but only marginally.

Re: MIS-C

Cases of rare condition in kids caused by COVID-19 reported in Arizona

““It is very rare, but we are seeing it,” said Dr. Josh Koch, division director of the pediatric intensive care unit at Phoenix Children’s Hospital. “It seems to occur somewhere between 3 to 6 weeks after COVID infection.”“

[...]

““The most dangerous thing about it is its effect on the heart and cardiovascular system,” he said. “Many of these patients have decreased function of their heart. They have lower blood pressures and they’re very, very inflamed.”

He said some of the outward signs that appear in children with this disease include red eyes and rashes.

“That’s basically the inflammation we can see on the outside of the body,” Koch explained. “That same inflammation is occurring on the inside of the body on the internal organs, and the organ that it seems to affect the most from a dangerous standpoint is the heart.”

[...]

“In addition to Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Banner Health hospitals in the Phoenix and Tucson areas have also reported cases of MIS-C.“

(Link to MIS-C thread)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's a retrospective cohort study with no word on how the patients were divided into treatment categories by their doctors. Presumably, some of the patients weren't as sick as others. It would have been interesting to know how many of the ventilated patients, alone, did better on HCQ + Z (which was the most effective treatment but of course, I wouldn't think anyone without pneumonia would get Z - so that's already a confounding variable).

Interestingly and of note is that some of the patients also got a steroid, but this was not disaggregated in the study and several reviewers of this article have said that it will be difficult in future to withhold steroids from patient groups who are getting any other regiment, including HCQ.

No one with heart irregularities was put on HCQ + Z (and heart irregularities are a symptom of more severe CoVid). Some severely ill patients with mild cardiac irregularities did get HCQ by itself. No one over 76 was in the study. The median age of the HCQ only patients was younger than the median age of the No HCQ patients, presumably because their doctors worried about giving older patients with mildly abnormal ECG's the drug. There were also more males in the No HCQ group, which is itself associated with greater mortality.

The study itself says that more study is needed (blind). In short, this study shows that nothing bad happened to less sick, slightly younger, non-cardiac patients when they took HCQ - and they got better at a higher rate.

Since we know from other studies that people with cardiac arrhythmias (both prior to CoVid and first appearing during CoVId) don't do so well, that needs to be disentangled in future study.

The double blind studies do not seem to show the same advantage for HCQ, which is of course the kind of study that actually guides its use.

I truly appreciate the information from an academic standpoint. :)

This doesn’t surprise me at all. What does surprise me is the number of Americans who appear to be walking around with undiagnosed Axis II disorders.

Do any of you have friends or relatives who refuse to wear a mask? Thinking it over, do these friends/family seem to have difficult personalities or perhaps low IQ? <modsnip: removed political comment>

Last edited by a moderator:
Arizona reports 1,926 new coronavirus cases, 56 more deaths

“The rate of new Arizona coronavirus cases has shown signs of slowing in recent weeks following the implementation of face mask requirements in many areas — including all of Maricopa County — and statewide executive orders to close businesses such as bars and gyms and to restrict restaurant occupancy.

Those moves were made after the state became a global hot spot for the coronavirus, which has no impact on some people and is seriously debilitating or fatal for others.“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member