Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #76

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lilibet I don't go to Burning Man either (don't enjoy crowds, drugs or people on them, techno music, flashing lights, or all-night parties) but I do enjoy watching the BM folks pass through my town on the way there and back. People-watching on the post office bench for an hour and then going home to peace and quiet

Yes agreed they are counterculture but in a way that includes respecting their own authority, as well as ethics of putting health of the broader community over their week's vacation that they can do again next year. And as you say, without the infrastructure it's a harsh environment and no festivities if you're the only one there...

I wonder if that cooperation will wane if it's still not safe for crowds a year from now...

I've been reading about the 1918 flu and have the perspective that these pandemics happen every so often -- rare enough that they make noticeable history, but often enough that we ought to know better than to pretend we can deny or politic our way out of it...

One more humbling true thing.
I have literally lost control of my bodily functions.
All bathrooms are closed here. I have had to flee grocery shopping several times.
Even at my home, I have had unavoidable accidents repeatedly requiring hours of
Clean up and sanitizing.
It's so humiliating.
My husband came home tonight and literally collapsed into bed.
I can only kiss and tell him how much I love him.

All bathrooms are closed here. I have had to flee grocery shopping several times.
Clean up and sanitizing.
It's so humiliating.

I’m so sorry @KALI. Please be aware that this can be a symptom of Covid-19. Take care!

Don’t anyone click on that list; it induces all manner of symptoms and a massive dollop of paranoia :D

LOL! Yes, I was reading the list, check, check, check...yeah, that is just me, normally! I don't know, I am not usually a person who runs to the doctor for a cold, or cold sore. But now, we should run out for an immediate Covid test, STAT, when you have a headache, feel tired, and depressed? Heck, then I have had Covid since March!

Seriously, the one symptom I have read the most about is loss of smell (me, again, always), and loss of taste.

A few more specifics re that Maine wedding. The woman who died didn’t even attend the festivities. (Again.. We all know this is how it happens. Sigh).

Woman dies from COVID-19 in outbreak linked to Maine wedding on Aug. 7 - The Boston Globe

Approximately 65 guests attended the Aug. 7 wedding ceremony at the Tri Town Baptist Church in East Millinocket and the reception at the Big Moose Inn in Millinocket, officials said.
One of those who tested positive, an adult female patient at Millinocket Regional Hospital, died on Friday.
The median age of confirmed positive cases linked to the wedding is 42 years old; those who have tested positive thus far range in age from 4 to 78 years old, Maine CDC officials said.
As of Friday, Millinocket Regional Hospital had tested 366 individuals for COVID-19; test results had been received on 263 and the remaining 103 tests were pending, hospital officials said.
“All positive patients have been contacted directly, given care instructions, and further instructed to quarantine,” Peterson said in the statement. “The CDC has initiated contact tracing on all positive patients to ascertain the full extent of the outbreak.

There are 32 cases of the virus associated with the wedding, Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention director Nirav
Woman dies of COVID-19 she contracted from someone who attended Millinocket wedding
[*]Millinocket Regional Hospital says the woman did not attend the Aug. 7 reception at the Big Moose Inn but became infected with the coronavirus after she came in contact with someone who did.

Maine CDC issues imminent health hazard citation to Big Moose Inn in Millinocket | newscentermaine.com

Dr. Shah said the median age of those who have tested positive is 42 years old, with a range spanning age 4 to age 78. Seven cases right now are among children under the age of 18.
About 87% of those who have tested positive have been symptomatic. Dr. Shah said it's not uncommon for a high percentage of positive tests to be symptomatic early in an outbreak, because they typically discover those who are positive but asymptomatic later in the investigation.
Five of the cases thus far reside in Somerset County and the rest reside in Penobscot County, according to Dr. Shah.
One guest reported experiencing symptoms the day after the wedding. However, most of the guests who have tested positive and reported symptoms said they experienced them about four days after the wedding.

Last edited:
It's funny how every time I mention my keeping track of my activities in case contact tracing is needed, it devolves into a discussion about the smartphone apps.

Personally, I think of my log as an awareness/consciousness exercise.

I assume this is only true physically at your home as opposed to when you are out and about in your community?

Quote RSBM.

I don't go anywhere except shopping every ten days and l save till receipts with time and date. We were in complete lockdown for 3 months and I have been shielding also which has only recently changed. However, I have BT internet landline which means it automatically connects to public wireless internet for free or I can choose to change it to mobile internet when that is available. We still pretty much keep to our lockdown rules even now, so it is easy to know where we have been.

Therapy dogs brought in to help struggling nurses

ABC NEWS

Therapy dogs brought in to help struggling nurses
6 hrs ago
A hospital in Bendigo has signed up some new staff to help lift the load on its nursing staff during the pandemic. Therapy dogs are boosting the spirits of exhausted frontline health workers.
Wellstar Kennestone Hospital neuro ICU Therapy dogs!!
Macy Marie and Cassie Bear!!!
The nurses love them. But they have not been allowed to visit lately. 20200822_045855.jpg
Wellstar Health System

37 Places You’re Most Likely to Catch Coronavirus | Eat This Not That

I thought this was a very interesting article: it rates 37 activities/places and risk involved in contracting the virus. I was shocked that going to the hair dresser is considered a moderate risk (7) with 9 being the highest risk. going to the hair dresser, even with masks, is on the same risk level as playing football!!! i go to the hair salon every couple weeks and honestly i have never assessed the risk that high. now i am freaking out. They recommend having the stylist come to your home.

Waiting in a doctor's office is rated as 4 and it is suggested you wait in your car. I have visited a couple docs and i waited in the waiting room. hmmmm

This is a great list and some of it may surprise you as far as risk is concerned: i printed it.
I went to my hairdresser for the first time in 6 months. Door is locked. You have to have an appointment. Your temperature is taken at the door. You are given a mask. The employees all have face shields and masks. No magazines anymore. No hot or cold drinks anymore. Partitions between customer seats and less than 25% full anyway. No customer gowns but individual disposable plastic coveralls. Antiseptic cleaning spray constantly being used. Very impressed.

What seems absolutely morally reprehensible to me, is that the organizers of Sturgis, could have done the socially responsible thing, and chosen to not have the motorcycle gathering this year. As SO many other people have done, sacrificing financial gain, over doing the right thing.

Sturgis organizers get the blue loser raspberry prize. Greed over social responsibility.
Even if the rally was completely cancelled, the area is still open to tourists so they would still have had those tourists. This is the fault of the virus not the community. The community made responsible mitigating changes to their program that I saw in many of the videos I watched.

I just read an article that says the positive Covid case at the saloon was a South Dakota resident. I will find and post the link.

Coronavirus case at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally prompts health department warning

"The health department said the person who tested positive is a resident of South Dakota but did not give any other details."

I wonder if it was an employee?

I also just found this interview with the VP about Covid so will post that link in the meantime.

Mike Pence pressed over Covid claims

Last edited:
it was a similar chart about a month ago that canceled my Tentative planning to have my teen’s haircut (poor kid has really out of control locks at this point) oh well. Hopefully by the time school goes back in session it’ll be less risky in the salons as well.

37 Places You’re Most Likely to Catch Coronavirus | Eat This Not That

I thought this was a very interesting article: it rates 37 activities/places and risk involved in contracting the virus. I was shocked that going to the hair dresser is considered a moderate risk (7) with 9 being the highest risk. going to the hair dresser, even with masks, is on the same risk level as playing football!!! i go to the hair salon every couple weeks and honestly i have never assessed the risk that high. now i am freaking out. They recommend having the stylist come to your home.

Waiting in a doctor's office is rated as 4 and it is suggested you wait in your car. I have visited a couple docs and i waited in the waiting room. hmmmm

This is a great list and some of it may surprise you as far as risk is concerned: i printed it.

I am following the case of Covid for the 14 year old girl in Teton County, Montana. Because, they are still trying to figure out how this girl got exposed to Covid. She lives on a ranch, no one in her family has Covid, only one other case in the community, not related to her. Very interesting.
They mentioned something about contributing to a food bank and it sounded like she is really active in the community and also helps with the wrestling team. Perhaps they travelled around for competitions but it is terrible how the virus affects certain patients.

ETA I noticed the update that she is out of ICU. Keep praying.

Last edited:
Clean up and sanitizing.
It's so humiliating.
I too have to time my grocery store visits carefully or use one that has public toilets like Tesco's. You are not alone. Our public toilets have only recently opened after 4 months closed. The train station loos were closed, the library (with a public loo) was closed, the council and beach toilets were closed. Bars were closed. I think it was a plot specifically designed to keep us oldies at home and safe. :)

I went to my hairdresser for the first time in 6 months. Door is locked. You have to have an appointment. Your temperature is taken at the door. You are given a mask. The employees all have face shields and masks. No magazines anymore. No hot or cold drinks anymore. Partitions between customer seats and less than 25% full anyway. No customer gowns but individual disposable plastic coveralls. Antiseptic cleaning spray constantly being used. Very impressed.
Glad to know you ventured out to the hairdresser and had a reassuring experience.

I've re-assessed the whole hair thing since lockdown. Going to the salon isnt for me any more. I liked the head massage and the coffees and dont want to feel I'm inside a closed space. I think I'd feel ridiculously upset with the changes, some things get to me more than others.

Having a hairdresser come to my home worked well for me. I've replaced my shoulder length brunette for short choppy blond-ish, which will only need attention every couple of months. Saving me a fortune too.

Taking back control of certain situations always makes me feel better.

(Sorry @tresir2012 - I replied to your post and somehow made it about me!)

Thought it may be a good idea to post a Montana update. Good news/bad news. Unemployment is down but Covid is up.

Montana COVID-19 update: 142 new cases

Montana RT live chart shows a large peak then downwards and another smaller peak at present.

Montana Rt

Effective Reproduction Rate · Rt

Rt is the average number of people who become infected by an infectious person. If it’s above 1.0, COVID-19 will spread quickly. If it’s below 1.0, infections will slow. Learn More.

Last edited:
I hear you @mickey2942, but here is some nuance. The City of Sturgis is the organizer, and not to make excuses, but I think the City was caught between a rock and a hard place. The rally-goers gather all over the Black Hills, in towns like Keystone and Custer, not just Sturgis. We happened to be visiting friends in Keystone at the beginning of a long trip in our RV in 2004 and it was packed. Motorcycles parked on the main drag just as you see in photos. En route from Oregon, we saw people headed to Sturgis for a couple of weeks before the rally began.

According to the link posted below, there was no support for canceling from Governor Noem...

"We've been back to normal for over three months here in South Dakota, so we know we can have these events, give people information, let people protect their health, but let them still enjoy their way of life, and events like the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally," she said. "We hope people come. Our economy benefits when people visit us."

Even if the City of Sturgis found a way to cancel the rally and block access, they would have come anyway. Having been there, I can say that the “outlaw biker” mentality is alive and well, even though many who attend are just bike enthusiasts who come for fun and camaraderie. They would not have stayed home, so the City had to prepare.

"There was really very little we could do to stop them from coming. It's not a gated event where we can just lock the doors and not allow people to come in," City Manager Daniel Ainslie told Insider. "Given all that, there was a realization that no matter what the city decided, there were going to be an awful lot of people that came to the rally."

Earlier this year, the city canceled all advertising for the event and urged concerned callers from states with high infection rates, or those who are part of a high-risk group, to consider skipping the rally this year, Ainslie said.

Personally, I’m not sure what more the City of Sturgis could have done besides the various precautions they took on site as mentioned in this article. They were not even allowed by Gov. Noem to mandate masks. Given the prevailing attitude both in government and among citizens that “no one is going to tell me what to do,” plus the Mt Rushmore rally July 3rd, the rally at Sturgis was inevitable. Sturgis and the other Black Hills communities were hung out to dry for the sake of the almighty dollar IMO. I hope the price they and the rest of the country pay is not death.
JMO

'It's literally impossible to stop': Sturgis, South Dakota, braces as hundreds of thousands of bikers arrived in the middle of a pandemic

ETA: I noticed someone mentioned that Burning Man was canceled as a comparison. But AKAIK Burning Man has one entrance and is out in the desert, not in a large area like the Black Hills that cannot be closed off.

Burning Man 2020 is online: How to visit the virtual playa and what to expect
Had Sturgis locked up, they may have come, but they would not have stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member