Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #81

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mass/more at links

Number of hospitalized coronavirus patients on the rise in Massachusetts

The number of hospitalized coronavirus patients is on the rise in Massachusetts, up 41 percent since a late August low, state data released Sunday shows.
The climb, which saw its sharpest increases over the past two weeks, comes as hospitals ready for what medical experts expect will be busy winter in combatting the contagious virus, The Boston Globe reports.

Mass. Hospitals Preparing for Long Winter Amid Spike in COVID Cases
Boston area hospitals say they are preparing for a long winter as COVID-19 cases continue to spike in Massachusetts and across the globe.

Over the past week alone, more than 4,000 new coronavirus cases have been reported in the state, including 1,226 over the weekend. The percentage of coronavirus tests coming back positive, on average, is at 1.1%, compared to the 0.8% it had been at in previous weeks.

COVID in Massachusetts: Coronavirus reopening plan reaches Step 2 of Phase 3 on Monday

Lower-Risk Communities Enter Next Step of Massachusetts' Reopening Plan

Milton public school closes for 2 weeks after three COVID cases
Pierce Middle School in Milton will be closed to students for at least the next two weeks after three positive COVID-19 cases.

In a letter to parents and staff on Sunday, the school said it had to close for the two weeks because of the number of teachers and staff who are now required to quarantine, the Patriot Ledger reported. The district didn’t have enough employees to keep in-person learning going during the quarantine, according to the newspaper.

Cape Cod high School moves to remote learning after students throw party without masks
“I am profoundly disappointed that Falmouth High School students would put our school community at risk during a public health crisis, especially after all of the hard work and planning we have done to ensure that the school year would start off safe and healthy for all,” the principal wrote in her message

12 members of the Attleboro Fire Department test positive for COVID

More at link
MGH doctor says not to forget White House essential workers with outbreak | Boston.com
As efforts to track down who may have been exposed to the outbreak of the coronavirus at the White House continue, the chief of infectious diseases at Massachusetts General Hospital is urging officials not to forget those who may have been impacted by the virus cluster who don’t have political titles.

During an interview with CNN, Dr. Rochelle Walensky stressed the importance of including essential workers in the ongoing contact tracing at the White House, who also, she said, should be receiving rapid testing and support for being potentially exposed to the virus with the outbreak.

“There’s been a lot of discussion about senators, about campaign staffers, and others who have been close to the president,” Walensky said. “My understanding is that there are about 300 other essential workers who work in the White House. People who work in the facilities, who work on the grounds, and these are probably more vulnerable persons than maybe even some of the senators we have been talking about in terms of the communities from which they come. And in terms of the people who they live with, their ability to really quarantine at home. And I just want to make sure we’re remembering those people as potential contacts for this president.”
I'll add to this. When people refuse to wear masks, social distance and isolate while infected only causes an increase in sick patients. This in turn means more people showing up in ED and hospitalized which puts medical workers at risk.

Lost on the Frontline
America’s health care workers are dying. In some states, medical personnel account for as many as 20% of known coronavirus cases. They tend to patients in hospitals, treating them, serving them food and cleaning their rooms. Others at risk work in nursing homes or are employed as home health aides. IMO

“Lost on the Frontline,” a collaboration between KHN and The Guardian, has identified 922 such workers who likely died of COVID-19 after helping patients during the pandemic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they owe it to the American people to disclose each and every person ? IDK but it seems like they should ?
JMO

I would think that federal HIPPA laws also apply to all federal employees. I think the contact tracers need this information to inform people who were at various events, but contact tracers don't name names, they respect HIPPA. A general overview is adequate for the general public, I would think, and many of the leaders in the WH probably would give permission anyway for their information to be shared regarding positive tests.

WASHINGTON, DC – Judicial Watch announced today that a federal judge ordered the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to begin producing communications and other records of National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci and Deputy Director H. Clifford Lane about the World Health Organization (WHO), China, and the coronavirus.

U.S. District Court Judge Dabney L. Friedrich on September 22 ordered HHS to begin producing 300 pages of potentially responsive records per month beginning on October 21. In a September 21 court filing, HHS said the agency could begin producing 300 pages of responsive records to the Daily Caller News Foundation beginning on November 30, eight months after receiving the Daily Caller’s request under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

The total number of responsive records is approximately 4200, which would push off the full release of the records until at least 2022. HHS also alleged that Fauci must personally review each one of his emails before they are released.

The judge’s order came in response to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia by Judicial Watch on behalf of the Daily Caller News Foundation (Daily Caller News Foundation v. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services(No. 1:20-cv-01149)).

The lawsuit was filed after HHS failed to respond to an April 1, 2020, FOIA request seeking:
  • Communications between Dr. Fauci and Deputy Director Lane and World Health Organization officials concerning the novel coronavirus.
  • Communications of Dr. Fauci and Deputy Director Lane concerning WHO, WHO official Bruce Aylward, WHO Director General Tedros Anhanom, and China.
The time period for the request is January 1, 2020 to April 1, 2020.

Judge rejects HHS effort to stall release of Fauci emails until after election

“NIH seems to be playing politics with the Fauci emails. The FOIA request at issue here concerns records that are likely to shed light on the China and WHO disinformation campaign on coronavirus—the stonewall seems calculated to undermine President Trump and protect WHO and China,” stated Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton.

Wonder why they're dragging their feet on this...

When we talk about "Essential Workers" at the White House, staff, housekeeping, cooks. I bet that they are actually okay. They were probably required to wear masks at all times, and keep six feet away from the "Important Folks".

That is the good news. The outbreak of Covid at the White House will more than likely stay within the walls of the WH. Not spread out to the rest of the community, except from the staff who were directly involved with the President, and the "super spreader" event.

JMHO...I would think any and all reporters in the WH press pool would consider/know the risk of exposure. They report on it daily. Many were in attendance at the SC nomination ceremony. If they are uncomfortable or feel a risk to their health, it is certainly permissible and I think should be encouraged to have the risk/exposure discussion with their employer.

Moo...
I think it would be reasonable for the press pool to expect WH staff to be following CDC guidelines when assessing risk.

So happy I'm not the only one to "enjoy" the benefits of Prednisone. First time I had pneumonia, so sick, two hours after my first dose I was mopping all my floors and cleaning the house. DH came home from work amazed, and said...I thought you were sick, my reply, I feel great!!
Moo...
I’ve had to take Prednisone several times for various conditions. It caused insomnia, spurts of energy, kind of a manic feeling. But it is an effective drug for short term use. Most doctors don’t recommend it for long term use due to negative side effects. JMO

When we talk about "Essential Workers" at the White House, staff, housekeeping, cooks. I bet that they are actually okay. They were probably required to wear masks at all times, and keep six feet away from the "Important Folks".

That is the good news. The outbreak of Covid at the White House will more than likely stay within the walls of the WH. Not spread out to the rest of the community, except from the staff who were directly involved with the President, and the "super spreader" event.
Unfortunately, if WH staff, housekeepers and cooks wear masks (which I'm relatively sure they do) it would only protect other people from them. They would still be vulnerable to catching covid-19. Unless of course they are mandated to wear N95's in which case they would still not be 100% safe.
The more prudent thing to do (and this is just my opinion) would be for everyone at the WH to wear masks while interacting with other people.

Trump says he'll leave Walter Reed tonight

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!

Really? This is what he’s going to push now?

Realistically, I guess I didn’t expect anything different from this man. Pathetic.

Trump says he'll leave Walter Reed tonight

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!
This is an unfortunate turn of events in my opinion. Not that the president is going home and feeling well. I would never wish harm on anyone. It's the part about not being afraid of the virus, There are many people with comorbidities who can and will die of this virus! Not everyone who is hospitalized will be given access to experimental drug treatments. I was hoping to see a more balanced response. I'm very disappointed (Angered actually).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an unfortunate turn of events in my opinion. Not that the president is going home and feeling well. I would never wish harm on anyone. It's the part about not being afraid of the virus. There are many people with comorbidities who can and will die of this virus. Not everyone who is hospitalized will be given access to experimental drug treatments. I was hoping to see a more balanced response. I'm very disappointed.

No White House contract tracing. Just wonderful (not).

Michael Shear, NY Times reporter:
"I have not been contacted by the White House," Shear said on CNN's "New Day" Monday morning. "Nobody from the White House has said 'boo' and asked anything about where I was or who I talked to or who else I might have infected."

New York Times reporter infected with Covid-19 says the White House is not doing contact tracing - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa