Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #84

Status
Not open for further replies.

A 7.6% chance of dying, right now, if hospitalized. The huge number of people who died at the beginning, before anyone knew what to do...is in the past in most nations. It was mostly older people and it was around 25% (think New York or northern Italy).

Overall, worldwide, it's gone down from a 6% mortality rate for all cases (including non-hospitalized) to 4%.

Still way more common that being murdered or dying from breast cancer.

I believe you are correct in the lack of knowledge about viruses, bacteria also. I was struck with a bone infection after ankle surgery and it was a very long process overcoming that, even to heal. Wound pump, pic line for antibiotics, skin graft, etc. I didn't fully understand but until I asked the Dr at cdc inside the hospital on the second visit. Couldn't understand why I had to go there for more blood work. She explained how the bacteria would try and change itself to survive and that is why the antibiotic's had to be done exactly 12 hours apart, no missing it. It's was fascinating to learn about.

It was also a time I started watching to see if people washed their hands in public restrooms. Over half did not and probably still don't. Not even going to get into urinating all over toilet seats and not cleaning up. People can be very nasty.

You're lucky for the modern medicine and techniques. The husband of a dear friend of mine had a bone infection, wow, it's been almost 20 years ago now. For 5 years, he battled it and the surgeons all urged amputation of his foot (new antibiotics were in the offing - he benefited very much from that).

And yeah - the hand washing thing in restrooms is gross.

A 7.6% chance of dying, right now, if hospitalized. The huge number of people who died at the beginning, before anyone knew what to do...is in the past in most nations. It was mostly older people and it was around 25% (think New York or northern Italy).

Overall, worldwide, it's gone down from a 6% mortality rate for all cases (including non-hospitalized) to 4%.

Still way more common that being murdered or dying from breast cancer.

The article gave me a little bit of hope. Ohio cases have broken records 5 of the last 7 days and I live in a county that has been red for over a month. We are supposed to wear masks but the Sheriff won't enforce the mandate.

Okay, so before I head off for the night - I thought I'd ask you all a few questions.

Do you know people who are over 80 who are still going out without masks? Do they go to indoor events where people sing (like church) or where people might spend a couple of hours indoors (like clubs or Rotary or whatnot)?

I'm asking because nearly all of my older relatives are gone. My MiL is 82 (got CoVid in hospital, is home, doing "okay," but now quite frail; she had a fall and had to go to hospital). My good friend is 71, has no clue how she got it (maybe a pharmacy?) Says she has worn a mask every time she's gone out - she's fine too. Maybe a bit of brain fog and fatigue. My cousin, aged 70, worked in a place with refrigerated air - did not wear a mask, was very very sick and now has a persistent cough, weakness, fatigue, brain fog, some kind of shooting pain in his head.

I keep wondering if the word is getting out to the older people. These church stories really get to me - so preventable and I don't get why people are still doing church in person. Do we blame the pastors for opening up on Sundays? Are the elderly demanding/asking for these services? My mom stopped going to church after her last cancer surgery (she was 80), it was just too difficult for her. She was a germophobe and would always call ahead before family gatherings to ask if anyone had the sniffles or any signs of infection.

Are there people out there who just don't understand - or do they think they've lived long enough?

Do you foresee a time (like, when you're 90 or something) when you just will want to go out and do whatever you want to do?

You're lucky for the modern medicine and techniques. The husband of a dear friend of mine had a bone infection, wow, it's been almost 20 years ago now. For 5 years, he battled it and the surgeons all urged amputation of his foot (new antibiotics were in the offing - he benefited very much from that).

And yeah - the hand washing thing in restrooms is gross.

So glad that he over came it! My cousin lost her leg after a nasty infection with knee replacement surgery.

Remember when bird flu almost started a pandemic? I was reading about the minks contracting Covid, and I believe another animal but can't think of the name of it. So if it is airborne can most animals get it? I'm wanting to research this but no idea where to start.

Okay, so before I head off for the night - I thought I'd ask you all a few questions.

Do you know people who are over 80 who are still going out without masks? Do they go to indoor events where people sing (like church) or where people might spend a couple of hours indoors (like clubs or Rotary or whatnot)?

I'm asking because nearly all of my older relatives are gone. My MiL is 82 (got CoVid in hospital, is home, doing "okay," but now quite frail; she had a fall and had to go to hospital). My good friend is 71, has no clue how she got it (maybe a pharmacy?) Says she has worn a mask every time she's gone out - she's fine too. Maybe a bit of brain fog and fatigue. My cousin, aged 70, worked in a place with refrigerated air - did not wear a mask, was very very sick and now has a persistent cough, weakness, fatigue, brain fog, some kind of shooting pain in his head.

I keep wondering if the word is getting out to the older people. These church stories really get to me - so preventable and I don't get why people are still doing church in person. Do we blame the pastors for opening up on Sundays? Are the elderly demanding/asking for these services? My mom stopped going to church after her last cancer surgery (she was 80), it was just too difficult for her. She was a germophobe and would always call ahead before family gatherings to ask if anyone had the sniffles or any signs of infection.

Are there people out there who just don't understand - or do they think they've lived long enough?

Do you foresee a time (like, when you're 90 or something) when you just will want to go out and do whatever you want to do?

I am very sorry about your family and friends.

Our family wears masks. Our church was closed for months and they reopened but requested that older people watch the service online. You also have to get a ticket and are spaced apart (for the people that do go...not us). We watch online.

I know of some older people that don't wear masks and I don't understand why not. I do believe that some want to see their grandchildren and feel that masks interrupt that.

My mother is 80 and still attends church. She had stopped wearing the mask there but has resumed once again. She says her faith is strong and she is not afraid, it's the biggest part of her life. I don't think she will ever stop going unless they go back to online services and I don't see that happening yet.

My parents are closing in on 87 but they are good about wearing their masks. Even though my mom broker her hip in June, she has rehabbed it well and is walking on a cane now. They have always been active (so grateful) and are trying to hold on to all of their independence while they can. I think they do understand if they get covid their chances of surviving at slim hence their willingness to mask up.

I am not ready to lose them and I sure don’t want to lose them to covid.

To answer your last question, plenty of things I want to do involve no crowds or people. If I get stir-crazy, I’ll be in an RV, hit the road & find spots I don’t need a mask. Dying of covid sounds like a horrible way to go, so I’ll continue doing my best to avoid exposure. Out of my control completely, but protecting my eyes & nose & mouth as much as possible.

It's tricky. My parents are mid 70s and have been out of the house maybe 5 times since March.

My mum's sister goes out for lunch once a week to a local pub. Goes to the nail salon, hairdresser.

My dad's sister gets the bus to other towns for shopping days.

My mum is torn by wanting to avoid the virus at all costs, but feels confused that her contemporaries have some normality, get to do "nice" things. They're still committed to riding it out though.

My area (and my parents) is what we call now Tier 1, supposedly the lowest risk. Even so, in my workplace we have had four positive cases confirmed in the last two weeks. Two asymptomatic, identified through contact tracing.

It's closing in again fast, and I think they are right to stay home.

I’ll be 77 in a few days. We have stayed home almost constantly since March. We have a bubble of two. Apart from visiting neighbours passing by outdoors at a safe distance we really haven’t been socializing. We haven’t been unhappy or uncomfortable doing this and have spent our time doing landscape projects and home repairs. But yes, in response to your query, there will come a time when if this pandemic drags on say for two or three more years when I will say enough. I will go and visit my adult children and my now adult grandkids just to see them one more time knowing that I will neither be able to drive forever, nor will I live forever. It’s in my head that this is a temporary price to pay while waiting for a vaccine,,,,but it’s not life and when you are older you realize that the few years left are too precious to waste.

On another note we did go out and about five days ago to get a few chores done. Dogs to groomers, pharmacy, grocery store and to vote. We wore N95 masks, glasses, made very liberal use of hand sanitizer, sanitized the shopping cart, vehicle surfaces, did not eat out, used no public washrooms, were in no line ups and were in and out of each business establishment in minutes. Washed the groceries at home, and washed hands and faces. So,,,,why then did we both come down with head colds? No coughs,,,just sneezes and runny noses.

I’ll be 77 in a few days. We have stayed home almost constantly since March. We have a bubble of two. Apart from visiting neighbours passing by outdoors at a safe distance we really haven’t been socializing. We haven’t been unhappy or uncomfortable doing this and have spent our time doing landscape projects and home repairs. But yes, in response to your query, there will come a time when if this pandemic drags on say for two or three more years when I will say enough. I will go and visit my adult children and my now adult grandkids just to see them one more time knowing that I will neither be able to drive forever, nor will I live forever. It’s in my head that this is a temporary price to pay while waiting for a vaccine,,,,but it’s not life and when you are older you realize that the few years left are too precious to waste.

On another note we did go out and about five days ago to get a few chores done. Dogs to groomers, pharmacy, grocery store and to vote. We wore N95 masks, glasses, made very liberal use of hand sanitizer, sanitized the shopping cart, vehicle surfaces, did not eat out, used no public washrooms, were in no line ups and were in and out of each business establishment in minutes. Washed the groceries at home, and washed hands and faces. So,,,,why then did we both come down with head colds? No coughs,,,just sneezes and runny noses.
Hello BW, I hope you dont mind me saying that as you are similar age to my parents I take a lot of comfort from your post knowing that you have been happy and comfortable. I have to remind myself that my folks have too, in the main (happy that is, definitely comfy due to big home improvements last year luckily).

Sorry about the head colds. It is bizarre. My mum regularly gets a sore throat which is linked to grocery deliveries! We've come to realise it must be for her connected to anxiety somehow, whether she sleeps or breathes differently we just dont know. Her safety process is mega tight though.

Hope you both feel better soon.

HKP xX

Here is some info about two antibody remedies - one of them that the president used, and said would be free to all Americans.

The Food and Drug Administration is evaluating two potential drugs that could help keep people healthy after they've been infected with the coronavirus.

So far, there's no clear system to make sure they would be allocated fairly or how to pay for these expensive drugs over the long haul. "Demand is going to far outstrip supply here," says Rena Conti at Boston University's Questrom School of Business.

The drug itself could be free at first – since the federal government subsidized development and production of the product made by Regeneron and has promised to purchase the first stream of that product.

Conti says that's only part of the cost. These drugs are given by IV infusion, so they are expensive to administer. That must be done in a hospital or specialized infusion center.

Equitable distribution had been a huge challenge with another scarce COVID-19 drug, remdesivir.

If demand again sharply outstrips supply, Fox figures hospitals would be hard pressed to follow a rubric based on equity.

How Will The Limited Supply Of Antibody Drugs For COVID-19 Be Allocated?
October 21, 2020

Last edited:
Here is some info about two antibody remedies - one of them that the president used, and said would be free to all Americans.

So far, there's no clear system to make sure they would be allocated fairly or how to pay for these expensive drugs over the long haul.
"Demand is going to far outstrip supply here," says Rena Conti at Boston University's Questrom School of Business.

The drug itself could be free at first – since the federal government subsidized development and production of the product made by Regeneron and has promised to purchase the first stream of that product.

Conti says that's only part of the cost. These drugs are given by IV infusion, so they are expensive to administer. That must be done in a hospital or specialized infusion center.

Equitable distribution had been a huge challenge with another scarce COVID-19 drug, remdesivir.

If demand again sharply outstrips supply, Fox figures hospitals would be hard pressed to follow a rubric based on equity.

How Will The Limited Supply Of Antibody Drugs For COVID-19 Be Allocated?

The Governor of Ohio has press conferences twice a week about COVID-19.

It seems like it was a few months ago, but the then health director said that Ohio had just received 20 doses of Remdesivir. They were sent to one location in Ohio and then the Ohio State Hwy Patrol had to drive the medication to whatever hospital had a patient in dire need.

The Health Director no longer works for Ohio due to people protesting at her house (shutdowns etc).

The governor has also mentioned that the vaccines will need to either be refrigerated or frozen and they are currently working on making certain that the state has everything needed around the state.

We have came a long way but we still have a long road ahead.

U.S. Covid-19 hospitalisations hit two-month peak
The number of Covid-19 patients in U.S. hospitals hit 40,000 for the first time since August on Wednesday, according to a Reuters tally, as the nation battles a surge in infections led by Midwest states. Hospitals have seen a 36% rise in coronavirus patients over the past four weeks and Midwest hospitals are setting new records every day.

In addition to hospitalizations reaching 40,264 on Wednesday, the seven-day average of new cases of Covid-19 have risen 45% in the past four weeks and is also approaching levels last seen during the summer peak, according to a Reuters analysis.

USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today

The potential to spread the virus in a building depends on the design of its HVAC system. Many apartments, assisted living facility rooms, dormitories and hotels/motels have individual systems that do not exchange air with other apartments/rooms. There would be very low to no risk in the rooms or individual units, but corridors, lobbies and public areas tend to have central systems that recirculate air. It isn’t easy - or advisable - to just retrofit high efficiency (HEPA) filters in existing buildings, because the existing equipment has to be capable of more airflow to supply adequate airflow if HEPA filters are used. Office buildings - and many others - are often sealed and use HVAC designs that depend on recirculated air. Our society needs to rethink many of the assumptions used in heating and cooling design. Building interiors with recirculated air present risk. Schools face great challenges with regard to indoor air, and most don’t have adequate budgets to retrofit or replace HVAC in their buildings.

There was also a case in China where plumbing facilitated viral spread in a high rise building. The story was mentioned in earlier threads on Covid-19, and can be found here https://nypost.com/2020/08/27/covid-19-can-waft-through-toilets-into-other-apartments-study/. In this case, contaminated air spread from the toilets to rooms below. However, the plumbing codes used in the US and Canada would likely prevent this situation by requiring traps and waste vents.

What a lot of great information! Thank you! It makes sense that trying to fit existing HVAC systems with HEPA-type filtration wouldn't work because it would restrict airflow and stress the system. I'm glad to hear a good number of apartments aren't subject to a community-type air system, but, as you say, the hallways and corridors would be at risk.

The plumbing story is interesting and it reminds me that when my dogs drink the trap in the toilet dry (big dogs on a hot day), I can smell sewer gasses that were previously blocked by the water in the trap. We live rurally and most apartments probably don't allow big dogs, but I could see it happening here in a rare instance.

Thank you again for all the great info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member