Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hypothesizing that MSM in Sweden probably didn’t try to spin or cover up the facts. Can anyone confirm or refute?

I’ve talked to a scary number of people this week currently under the impression the worst of the virus is well behind us. They had no idea that cases are skyrocketing. Most of them are smart people, but they aren’t actively digging for info.

Maybe when the pre-election/election/post-election coverage is over people will be brought back into the reality of what is covid-happening, by the media.

As you say, at the moment it does seem that a person needs to dig further for vital current covid information due to other matters taking over the headlines.

Outside of Chicago, Illinois is all cornfields and a lot of folks are being stubborn about not wearing masks in my area. Small errands stress me out around here.

I have no idea how Chicago or the college towns are doing in terms of masks.

Sounds as if covid fatigue and disregard has set in. This article says that people are being urged to continue good practises. As well, Illinois is putting more restrictions on people entering the state.

Although the reasons for counties reaching a warning level varies, some of the common factors for an increase in cases and outbreaks are associated with university and college parties as well as college sports teams, large gatherings and events, bars and clubs, weddings and funerals, family gatherings, long-term care facilities, correctional centers, schools, and cases among the community at large, especially people in their 20s," the Illinois Department of Public Health said in a statement.

Thirty-four counties in Illinois are now at a "warning level" for coronavirus, the state's health department said Friday.

Dr. Arwady said while she knows people are tired of COVID-19, residents need to continue to employ mitigation strategies like wearing masks in public, practicing social distancing and washing hands regularly.
"Right now we need people more than ever to do things that we know work," she said.

Officials announced Tuesday that Indiana and three other states would be added to Chicago's travel order, effective Friday, with few exceptions to the quarantine requirement.

Illinois Coronavirus Updates: State Sets 1-Day Record of New Cases, Chicago Public Schools' Plan

Turkey has been contact tracing for a century. That offers lessons and perils. — National Geographic

“ Odabaşı is a contact tracer, a member of one of roughly 9,300 teams that the Turkish government has deployed during the outbreak. Situated at the crossroads of Europe, the Caucasus, and the Middle East, Turkey seemed a likely hotspot for a disease spread by international travel and social mixing. But five months after a modest early surge, daily cases remain low and steady, and the nation doesn’t make the list of the top 100 in cases per capita.”

How many know what exactly goes on in those nursing homes? There are probably some good facilities- but I can tell you about the unacceptable treatment my relatives have received in various facilities. A spokesperson needs to be there 24/7 to be sure things are done and done correctly. A real eye opener.
They don’t pay the aides enough and they don’t have enough staff. It’s about money and not compassion. JMO

As I was drifting off to sleep last night I was thinking about this. Could it be that the US government is readying for these folks to get the shots under an EAU, and that this is being done this way so that each person doesn't have to apply for a shot(s) under EAU prior to FDA approval which may come 2 years from now? Instead of each nursing home tasked with applying for each patient, the US government would be giving proactively a broad sweep approval for anyone in their care under EAU? (see below "any assessment regarding an EUA will be made on a case-by-case basis considering the target population")

Dunno??????

That's what my mind went to as all of these places must be licensed by the states and they would have info of where they all were and be able to do logistics evaluations on numbers of doses etc. as these licenses and annual updates would have info on numbers living there.

@CharlestonGal, wouldn't this make sense as a reason they are coordinating with CVS/Walgreens? But.... that said, have clinical trials even been done with "elderly folks" to get the information on dosages/effectiveness for the elderly? Dunno

Anyhow, that was my thought as I drifted off last night with a very bad headache (allergies, taking my Zyrtec like a good person should have before I worked in the garden with all the fall mold etc yesterday afternoon).

FDA Issues Guidance on Emergency Use Authorization for COVID-19 Vaccin
"An EUA is a different standard than an approval, as noted in the June guidance".....
"This guidance reiterates that any assessment regarding an EUA will be made on a case-by-case basis considering the target population"....
"The FDA plans to convene an open session of its Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC) prior to issuance of any EUA for a COVID-19 vaccine to discuss the EUA request and whether the available safety and effectiveness data support the authorization. The VRBPAC is currently scheduled to meet on Oct. 22 to discuss the general development, authorization and/or licensure of COVID-19 vaccines. While this meeting is not intended to discuss any particular vaccine candidate, the agency is prepared to rapidly schedule additional future meetings of this committee after submission of any BLA or request for EUA to further ensure transparency."

Much more at link.

ETA:

How long will it take for the general public to be vaccinated after a vaccine is approved?
It is not clear at this point in time when a vaccine for the general public will be available, but a reasonable guess may be at least six months to one year after approval.
The timeline depends on how rapidly vaccine doses can be produced and distributed.

How long will protection last following vaccination?
We do not know how long protection will last following vaccination but it will be critically important to measure long-term protection (at least two years) in the phase 3 trials and in other groups prioritized for early vaccination. We are still learning about the duration of protection following infection with SARS-CoV-2 and it is too early to tell how long protection will last.

Will we still need to wear masks and practice physical distancing once a vaccine is available?
We will still need to wear masks and practice physical distancing until a large proportion of the population is vaccinated and we are sure the vaccine provides long-term protection. Initially, we will not have enough vaccine to vaccinate everyone who wants the vaccine and the virus will still be transmitted.

Vaccines FAQ - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

Yes, key words 6 months to a year after approval (NOT EAU), and approval will follow the 2 years? MOO. Only EAU up until then vs. for the "mass distribution to the public"?

Expectations for the masses needs to be done soon MOO

Emergency Use Authorization-link with MUCH information

Last edited:
Given the experience with hydroxychloroquine and the lengthy struggle some people had to accept that the drug wasn't going to aid in the treatment of CoVid, will we see the same resistance to research results surrounding Remdesivir?

What will be done with the world's supply stockpiled in the hopes that this was an effective treatment?

I think Remdesivir does have a place. The second trial ALSO confirmed that it shortened the hospital stays from 15 days to 10 days (first trial said 15 days to 11 days). This is a VERY cost effective way to have less $$ due to hospitizations. It wasn't the FOCUS of the study MOO, as the focus was reducing mortality. But this PROVEN MOO fact is showing cost reductions that the hospitals and insurance companies could do as these trials were looking for the silver bullet of reduced mortality (not less hospital stay). Didn't meet the silver bullet, but did prove reduction in days/$$$$

As to lost costs, yes, that is going to happen with MANY vaccines and treatments, and is the reason that governments and WHO "funded them through contracts" to gear up and produce doses before they even knew they would work MOO so that they companies wouldn't be investing in a lost cause. MOO it's the reason the governments did many of the contracts. MOO

Signed, Dixie the mooing cow

I don’t know what is going on in IL and MO. I’m in MO but could be in IL in 15 minutes. It’s scary. I’ll be isolating even more than I already am.

Illinois added rapid tests to their numbers this week, that may be one reason? Let me add an IIRC as I read the article yesterday. Lemme see if I can find the link.

ETA: Found it

Illinois Coronavirus Updates: State Sets 1-Day Record of New Cases, Chicago Public Schools' Plan

"State health officials on Thursday began including both molecular and antigen tests in its number of statewide tests performed. IDPH said that antigen tests previously comprised less than 1% of tests performed and were not included before due to a "limited number of antigen tests and limited information about antigen test accuracy."

But Illinois health officials said Thursday that antigen tests were becoming more readily available, and would therefore be included in the daily counts.

The record high number of cases can't be entirely attributed to the large amount of tests conducted, however, because although a high number of tests were reported, the 7-day rolling statewide positivity rate also jumped from 4.9% to 5.1% on Friday, continuing a gradual rise and crossing 5% for the first time in several weeks."

Victoria has actually had 816 deaths. The 904 is for the whole of Australia.
(ETA: Sorry, I see that TX has the population of all of Australia. So yes, your comparison is spot on :) )

The other 7 states, combined, have had 88 deaths.
And three of those 7 states have actually had no covid deaths at all.

View attachment 268127

I just cannot wait until Australia lets us visit you again! You and New Zealand remain at the top of my bucket list!!! Maybe we can set up a Websleuths Tour...since you guys have taught us so much.

Red Zone - time to start in person school. o_O
————
Weekly governors' report shows NC back in the 'red zone' for COVID-19 cases

“In the month of October, North Carolina health leaders have repeatedly said the state's COVID-19 metrics are trending in the wrong direction.

This week, an updated report for governors from the White House Coronavirus Task Force, obtained by ABC News, emphasized that point, moving North Carolina back into the "red zone" for COVID-19 cases, meaning the state reported more than 100 cases per 100,000 people in the week from October 3 to October 9.

The report classifies the "zones" as follows:

• "Red zone": More than 100 new cases per 100,000 people, and more than 10.1% of tests returning positive.
  • "Orange zone": Between 51 and 100 new cases per 100,000 people, and between 8 and 10% tests returning positive.
  • "Yellow zone": Between 10 and 50 new cases per 100,000 people and between 5 and 7.9% of tests returning positive.
  • "Green zone": Fewer than 10 new cases per 100,000 people and fewer than 5% of tests returning positive.
With 122 cases per 100,000 people last week, North Carolina exceeded the national average of 100 cases per 100,000 people and ranks No. 23 in the country for most COVID-19 cases.”

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article245804120.html

“North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper announced Thursday that school districts can reopen elementary schools for full-time, daily, in-person instruction starting Oct. 5.”

NC Teacher: It's Way Too Soon for NC to Be Declaring 'Mission Accomplished'

“More school districts around the state are opening school buildings for in-person instruction but this is being done in spite of the still uncontrolled spread of COVID-19 and poor conditions of many school buildings.”

“Given the concern for our state’s “red zone” status and need to prevent spread of the virus, it is confusing to educators when, one week later, NC Gov. Roy Cooper announced local school districts could open classrooms for elementary school children with minimal social distancing requirements.”

——-
Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg school board has voted to allow students to return to school buildings under a hybrid plan starting with Pre-K students.

Under the new plan, Pre-K students will return to school buildings first and would report to school five days per week. All other students would be phased-in by grade level and report to school for one week, then return to remote learning for two weeks.

• Phase 1: Pre-K would return October 12
  • Phase 2: K-5 would return November 2
  • Phase 3: 6-8 would return November 23
  • Phase 4: High School would return December 14

I had forgotten something until you posted this. The governors in the US have their own group that meets regularly (remotely of course). Guess who is the head of the National Governors Association ---> Governor Cuomo!

Andrew Cuomo - National Governors Association

This site below is VERY informative MOO
CORONAVIRUS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW - National Governors Association

...it includes what we spoke of upthread about LTC facilities also
State Actions Addressing COVID-19 in Long-Term Care Facilities - National Governors Association

... and fall activities discussions
State Guidance for Halloween, Día de los Muertos and other Fall Activities during COVID-19 - National Governors Association

Perhaps one for bookmarking!

I just cannot wait until Australia lets us visit you again! You and New Zealand remain at the top of my bucket list!!! Maybe we can set up a Websleuths Tour...since you guys have taught us so much.

Covid: One-way 'travel bubble' opens between Australia and NZ
Covid: One-way 'travel bubble' opens between Australia and NZ
Published 1 day ago
None of the passengers on the flight from Auckland to Sydney will be required to quarantine in Australia.

However they will have to pay for their own quarantine in a hotel when they return to New Zealand.

At the moment, the bubble is one-sided, with Australians not allowed to enter New Zealand.

Australia and New Zealand are among the first countries in the Asia-Pacific region to loosen restrictions on international travel since Covid-19 travel bans came into effect earlier this year.

Singapore and Hong Kong announced on Thursday that they had agreed to quarantine-free travel between the two cities. They did not say when travel would begin.

Dr. Seheult spoke to Remdesivir on today's 15 minute video

Professor Roger Seheult, MD explains the largest study to date on Remdesivir that casts doubt on its effectiveness as a treatment for COVID-19. The WHO SOLIDARITY trial data was released on October 15, 2020 and included 11,266 patients hospitalized with COVID-19 and evaluated remdesivir, hydroxychloroquine, lopinavir/ritonavir, and interferon. None of the medications studied showed a statistically significant benefit (This video was recorded on October 15, 2020).

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007764
Remdesivir for the Treatment of Covid-19 — Final Report

“Solidarity” clinical trial for COVID-19 treatments
UPDATE: Solidarity Trial reports interim results
Repurposed antiviral drugs for COVID-19; interim WHO SOLIDARITY trial results

I really do love his videos....He is so good. He really describes the deep statistics that they have to look at, but explains data very clearly.

I really do love his videos....He is so good. He really describes the deep statistics that they have to look at, but explains data very clearly.

Then, this is for you. Yesterday's 22 minute video update on the US.

ETA: Oops, you were talking about Seheult. I like Dr. Campbell as well!

Keep an eye on Wisconsin

wisonsin.JPG

And Idaho, South Dakota, Iowa, Nevada, Kansas and others such as Utah, Wyoming, Alabama, Indiana, Nebraska

IdSCIANV.JPG

andothers.JPG

All way above the "WHO recommendation of at or below 5% for two weeks before reopening measures"

5percent.JPG

Source for all above are screenshots from Dr. Campbell

Last edited:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

America had the world's best pandemic response plan. Why did it fail?

Interviews with public health experts and reviews of studies by government agencies, watchdog groups and scientists reveal a cascade of blunders.

This really is a good article, a good summary of the downhill slide.

It is such a lesson in what coulda, shoulda, woulda.......

If we only had consolidated leadership starting with that Pandemic Plan from the previous admin.... we would have had a real Plan, but would give the states the tweaking and specialization needed..........

rather, we have 50 competing little countries going at it.........
moo moo moo

Last edited by a moderator:
Massachusetts reports 702 new COVID cases, 30 deaths as average positive tests climbs to 1.4%
State health officials announced another 30 COVID-related deaths on Friday, bringing the statewide death count to 9,482.

Officials also confirmed another 702 coronavirus cases in what continues to be a steady increase in cases and test positivity across Massachusetts. That number is based on 14,962 new molecular tests reported on Friday, according to the Department of Public Health.
The seven-day average of positive tests has climbed to 1.4% as of Friday, which remains elevated compared to a low of .8% observed through much of August and September.
There are currently 513 reported COVID-19 hospitalizations as of Friday, including 77 patients in intensive care.
There are now 63 Massachusetts communities considered “high risk” for COVID transmission. Last week, the state reported 40 communities in that category.

Boston Teachers Union Loses Court Battle to Work Remotely Amid High COVID Numbers

Next Phase of Boston Public Schools Reopening Plan Delayed Amid COVID Uptick

BSO Cancels Holiday Pops, Winter/Spring Season Due to COVID
The Boston Symphony Orchestra announced Friday that its hiatus from live performances with audiences due to the coronavirus pandemic will continue into the new year, and possibly beyond, with the cancellation of the BSO 2020-21 Winter/Spring season and Holiday Pops 2020 Series at Symphony Hall.

The BSO and Boston Pops plan to make an announcement with details on a newly recorded digital series for November and December on Oct. 28. In addition, they plan to start releasing new online content starting Nov. 19 and continuing into 2021.

‘This is not the year to come to Salem': City officials announce further visitor restrictions ahead of Halloween
In a typical year, the city hosts upwards of 50,000 visitors a day in October. This Halloween - prior to the rise in COVID cases worldwide - city officials and business leaders expected to set a new visitor record.

“If you’ve been here on Halloween night, you’ll know it’s sort of a street party,” Driscoll said. Halloween this year in Salem will feature no balls, no costume parties, no parades. Yet the city is still seeing visitors from neighboring states to others traveling across the country to visit the Massachusetts community.

Report: Broncos being told to prepare to play Patriots on Sunday at 1 p.m. as scheduled
On Friday, the Patriots canceled practice and all media availabilities after a player received a positive coronavirus test. According to ESPN, the team is waiting to confirm a second positive test as well, though it’s unclear if that test is for a player or staff member.

Mass. health officials ease travel restrictions for California, Hawaii, New Jersey and Washington state
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health on Friday announced that its metric for determining low-risk states for travel amid the coronavirus pandemic is shifting.

That change moves California, Hawaii, New Jersey and Washington state onto Massachusetts' list of low-risk states for travel, meaning people coming from those areas do not need to quarantine and fill out a Massachusetts travel form.

Massachusetts N95 mask facility among manufacturing grant recipients
Baker administration officials on Thursday announced $6.5 million in grants to 13 local organizations to support manufacturing efforts related to the COVID-19 pandemic, including personal protective equipment, ventilators, testing equipment and hand sanitizer.

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu says he’ll sue Mass. for taxing remote workers
New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu said Friday he plans to file a lawsuit against Massachusetts over a new rule that imposes income taxes on out-of-state workers telecommuting even though the coronavirus pandemic has prompted people to work from home.

Here's is a link for the 22 Oct 2020 vaccine meeting. Not sure if it can be viewed live but it sounds like it will be made public.

2020 Meeting Materials, Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee

October 22, 2020

The meeting presentations will be heard, viewed, captioned, and recorded through an online teleconferencing platform. On October 22, 2020, the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research’s (CBER), Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC) will meet in open session, to discuss, in general, the development, authorization and/or licensure of vaccines to prevent COVID-19. No specific application will be discussed at this meeting.

[
Turkey has been contact tracing for a century. That offers lessons and perils. — National Geographic

“ Odabaşı is a contact tracer, a member of one of roughly 9,300 teams that the Turkish government has deployed during the outbreak. Situated at the crossroads of Europe, the Caucasus, and the Middle East, Turkey seemed a likely hotspot for a disease spread by international travel and social mixing. But five months after a modest early surge, daily cases remain low and steady, and the nation doesn’t make the list of the top 100 in cases per capita.”

Interesting article...thanks for sharing. Learned things about Turkey, for sure!!

The embedded article is also very good.... From 1 Sept, but still totally relevant.

The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security issued a national plan back in April, reporting that until there’s a vaccine, “management of the COVID-19 pandemic will rely heavily on traditional public health methods for case identification and contact tracing.” The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned Congress in June that the U.S. would need at least 100,000 contact tracers—and billions of dollars to fund these programs.

She found that reducing delays in testing and tracing could prevent as much as 80 percent of onward transmission of a diagnosed case.

So here we are, heading into November!! If people angry about lockdowns only understood this when it could have worked.

moo moo

The magnitude of America’s contact tracing crisis is hard to overstate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members