Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
"JAMA Network
62.1K subscribers
Anthony S. Fauci, MD returns to JAMA's Q&A series to discuss the latest developments in the COVID-19 pandemic, including the continued importance of nonpharmaceutical interventions (masking, handwashing, physical distancing) for managing rising case numbers in the US and globally."

It is scheduled to be live in 29 hours on October 28th at 3 pm and you can sign up to get a reminder.

I'm glad that Fauci is now going back to try to get folks on the same page. While geared towards medical professionals, I doubt it will be "over our heads" as to listening to MOO.

As shown above, the US perhaps just needs to get back to the da*m basic of a pandemic and perhaps he is now realizing that he can edge back in and start to get a cohesive message out and starting with those docs and others as a starting point?

Before he did not, perhaps he was concerned if he did try, that he may have a target on his back and some would try to force even more onto discrediting science, so he has been quiet. So that more attacks on him and science didn't foster? MOO.

So glad he's now getting back out there and doing what needs to be done and feels safe and confident in doing such MOO. It's gonna be hard to get back trust in science for many in the population. MOO

JAMA = Journal of the American Medical Association. They have invited for a live stream Anthony Fauci for a CEU (Continuing Education Credit) session on their channel live tomorrow. (This is legit JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association is a peer-reviewed medical journal published 48 times a year by the American Medical Association. It publishes original research, reviews, and editorials covering all aspects of biomedicine. )

Last edited:
Minnesota ICU nurse sounds alarm about rising COVID cases | kare11.com

According to the Minnesota Department of Health, in the last month there's been a 70% increase in COVID-19 patients requiring hospitalization. Turner says coronavirus patients have once again filled her ICU and another med-surg floor at the hospital, with others filling fast.

"And more importantly, we are starting to see our first cases of flu/COVID," she said. "A combination of the two."

But as she and other nurses brace for the next peak, two new studies indicate that COVID death rates are dropping, thanks to better treatments. Turner says she has witnessed improved outcomes first hand, but warns that it's not a reason for anyone to let their guard down.

"People have had much better outcomes. We're using the Remdesivir, Dexamethasone, Decadron, that's the steroid, (convalescent) plasma, but it's not like, 'Oh, you get the drugs and you're better,'" Turner said. "If you end up hospitalized, you are there for a long time. I know that President Trump got the best of care and he got out of there pretty quickly, but the normal course of the stay is like three to four weeks."

Minnesota ICU nurse sounds alarm about rising COVID cases | kare11.com

According to the Minnesota Department of Health, in the last month there's been a 70% increase in COVID-19 patients requiring hospitalization. Turner says coronavirus patients have once again filled her ICU and another med-surg floor at the hospital, with others filling fast.

"And more importantly, we are starting to see our first cases of flu/COVID," she said. "A combination of the two."

But as she and other nurses brace for the next peak, two new studies indicate that COVID death rates are dropping, thanks to better treatments. Turner says she has witnessed improved outcomes first hand, but warns that it's not a reason for anyone to let their guard down.

"People have had much better outcomes. We're using the Remdesivir, Dexamethasone, Decadron, that's the steroid, (convalescent) plasma, but it's not like, 'Oh, you get the drugs and you're better,'" Turner said. "If you end up hospitalized, you are there for a long time. I know that President Trump got the best of care and he got out of there pretty quickly, but the normal course of the stay is like three to four weeks."

While I agree re potential treatments, (and I DO know that one study has not shown such vs. age)... I think it will shown in later studies that the decrease in deaths is due either primarily or secondarily to that the numbers infected are now the highest in the 20-29 and 30-40 age groupings. (lower death rates significantly than those in the first wave over 70 years in LTCF) To me, is logical following but these studies take time to do.

The virus got into the most vulnerable and spread like the wild fires in California and Colorado.. and now into the lower folks... less mortalities. MOO

Last edited:
Landlords are suing the CDC for ban on evictions.

As an owner of rental property, I've been waiting to see when a suit would be filed. Thankfully, our renters are all paying on time, but if they weren't, we'd be in a world of hurt making the mortgage payments and utility payments on those properties without being able to recover any of the costs.

In my opinion -- the CDC has no right to tell property owners they must not evict a renter who is not paying. The only way that should ever be allowed is if the CDC is making the payments. This, MOO, comes under an unconstitutional "regulatory taking," and I'm watching this suit with interest.

Landlords are encouraged first of all, to try and work out a payment arrangement with their tenants. This might mean reducing the rent. In many cases, having a good renter who is paying a bit less rent for a period of time is better than having no rent at all, or a renter with an uncertain record of payment.

I know that there are significant costs to being a landlord. One of the federal supports during CoVid is to provide financial support to landlords, by reducing hydro costs, deferring mortgage payments and financial assistance for hired staff, among other financial incentives. If landlords are benefiting from gov't financial support, then they shouldn't be evicting tenants because of failure to pay rent due to the impact of CoVid on their families.

Evictions can be a very serious social problem that snowballs into further costly problems. That's why our provincial gov't as well as many other gov'ts were quick to put safeguards in place.

Last edited:
California's restaurant industry wants a refund: What happens next?

Kabateck said the owners want to be refunded fees paid for liquor and health permits and tourism fees.

He said even when restaurants were forced to close at the start of the pandemic in mid-March as a way to mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus, owners still had to pay the full cost of fees.

California's restaurant industry wants a refund: What happens next?

People who follow Trump believe what he says- they believe the numbers are "fake" and that the deaths are exaggerated ( i.e. heart attack death is being called death from Covid
because doctors get more money for Covid deaths- this is what Trump said)
I think you may be underestimating the silent majority who are social distancing and masking when they go out. Here's an example from Amazon. Thousands of reviews on MAGA Trump face masks. There are many examples out there at online shopping sites. And these are just the reviews not the actual number of purchases, and many supporters purchase regular masks so we can't determine that number. Please stop with the generalizations. Amazon.com : maga face masks

No---not even one in the crowd during the event.

Surely no one expected her, Judge Thomas, or the President to wear masks during the brief time she was being sworn in.

Yes, I do.

It would have presented a powerful picture of this point in time and illustrated that even those on high are the same as the rest of us when it comes to interaction for ceremonies.

Covid doesn’t care if it is a special occasion would be the message that many need based on all the public announcements of exposure at such.

Leading by example, actions speak louder than words, etc.

Just IMO

I think you may be underestimating the silent majority who are social distancing and masking when they go out. Here's an example from Amazon. Thousands of reviews on MAGA Trump face masks. There are many examples out there at online shopping sites. And these are just the reviews not the actual number of purchases, and many supporters purchase regular masks so we can't determine that number. Please stop with the generalizations. Amazon.com : maga face masks

My comments were not directed to masks. My comments were directed to Trump saying that deaths are exaggerated ,etc. etc. Trump stated loudly and clearly that the death numbers are exaggerated and that docs, for example, are calling a covid death if the patient died of a heart attack.

Yes, I do.

It would have presented a powerful picture of this point in time and illustrated that even those on high are the same as the rest of us when it comes to interaction for ceremonies.

Covid doesn’t care if it is a special occasion would be the message that many need based on all the public announcements of exposure at such.

Leading by example, actions speak louder than words, etc.

Just IMO
There is a saying in a commercial I have seen that kind of says it all for me...

A mask can say a lot about the person who wears it, but even more about the person who doesn’t.

Surely no one expected her, Judge Thomas, or the President to wear masks during the brief time she was being sworn in.

I would expect them to wear masks. They have a duty to protect their office, and not wearing masks, is disrespectful of their own elected positions, as well as those who stand near them.

Landlords are encouraged first of all, to try and work out a payment arrangement with their tenants. This might mean reducing the rent. In many cases, having a good renter who is paying a bit less rent for a period of time is better than having no rent at all, or a renter with an uncertain record of payment.

I know that there are significant costs to being a landlord. One of the federal supports during CoVid is to provide financial support to landlords, by reducing hydro costs, deferring mortgage payments and financial assistance for hired staff, among other financial incentives. If landlords are benefiting from gov't financial support, then they shouldn't be evicting tenants because of failure to pay rent due to the impact of CoVid on their families.

Evictions can be a very serious social problem that snowballs into further costly problems. That's why our provincial gov't as well as many other gov'ts were quick to put safeguards in place.

I think some state have rent assistance, but it's the renters who must apply for it -- and if they make too much money -- they're disqualified.

I agree that if the virus stops someone from working, they're not going to be able to pay their rent, but the landlords are not bottomless pits of money -- if the CDC is going to force the landlords not to evict -- the CDC should be making rent payments to them.

But, they're not doing that. Landlords have said they have other potential renters who would move in and pay but they can't evict the ones who aren't paying.

Situations like this would be better served by communities opening up larger shelters where those who truly couldn't pay the rent could go. The responsibility really should not fall on the landlords.

I'm interested in this lawsuit because from everything I've heard, the CDC's rule is unconstitutional.

Maybe it's just me but it looks like the whole crowd in attendance was socially distanced and wearing masks.

6f2fde75-10f2-4151-9aee-dd7cad2bae8d.jpg

I suppose they should be okay as long as they don’t hold any rallies in California.

They have mandatory requirements for gatherings in CA. They have rules for singing, chanting and shouting. You must do so quietly, at or below a normal speaking voice. I kid you not. I wonder what happens if you don’t obey.

Mandatory Requirements for All Gatherings

CDPH Guidance for the Prevention of COVID-19 Transmission for Gatherings 10 09
I don’t understand if shouting is bad why more protesters didn’t come down w/COVID. Many weren’t even wearing masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Can't Touch Tish