Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate when my region makes the news this way
White House report ranks Tri-Cities near the top for COVID-19 spread
BTW, I'm doing totally curbside pickup and ordering from online. I haven't been inside a store, even masked, for weeks again.
A precious neighbor caught up with me outdoors yesterday evening, but I maintained an extremely healthy distance across the fence telling her I'd eaten garlic for dinner (truth) and didn't want to offend her.

Another thought - long story, but my sister who just recently lost her husband (non COVID related) was relating to me an offer from a family friend to take her family out to dinner (my first red alert), as soon as the wife returns first of the week from a shopping trip in Gatlinburg. Her concern was only trying to schedule a date with the kids' different work schedules.
I'm talking with her almost every evening, I don't argue my viewpoints vs hers, but these conversations are really interfering with my sleep. Evenings seem to be the worse for her adapting to widowhood and I feel the need to provide a shoulder but it certainly is taking it's toll.

Couple whose wedding at Long Island country club turned into 'superspreader' event are revealed | Daily Mail Online

Superspreader wedding in October caused 139 people to go into quarantine and 30 cases of Covid

“'By now, every licensee should be well aware of the protocols in place to stop the spread and should know that an event like this is unacceptable. We are still in the midst of a public health crisis, and the SLA will continue to hold those who ignore these lifesaving rules accountable,' SLA Chairman Vincent Bradley said.

Governor Cuomo called the violations in the state, which was hit hardest at the peak of the pandemic earlier this year, 'obnoxious and irresponsible - not to mention illegal.'

'We are eight months into this pandemic and simply will not tolerate businesses that put New Yorkers at risk. Those who continue to ignore the rules will lose their ability to serve alcohol, and I thank Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone and his team for their cooperation in holding these bad actors accountable,' Governor Cuomo said.

Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone called the gathering 'extremely disappointing' and 'blatant disregard for the well-being of others.

'Suffolk County took swift action to contain the community spread this wedding could have caused, and I commend Governor Cuomo for taking appropriate action. If you violate the rules, you will be caught and you will be held responsible,' Bellone said on Monday.

The surge in cases in the county last month were also traced back to a second 'superspreader' event held on the same day, when 50 people gathered together for a birthday party in Bellport.

Despite being in compliance with gathering restrictions, 26 party guests tested positive for the virus, sending 132 people into quarantine.”

I really hate when my region makes the news this way
White House report ranks Tri-Cities near the top for COVID-19 spread
BTW, I'm doing totally curbside pickup and ordering from online. I haven't been inside a store, even masked, for weeks again.
A precious neighbor caught up with me outdoors yesterday evening, but I maintained an extremely healthy distance across the fence telling her I'd eaten garlic for dinner (truth) and didn't want to offend her.

Another thought - long story, but my sister who just recently lost her husband (non COVID related) was relating to me an offer from a family friend to take her family out to dinner (my first red alert), as soon as the wife returns first of the week from a shopping trip in Gatlinburg. Her concern was only trying to schedule a date with the kids' different work schedules.
I'm talking with her almost every evening, I don't argue my viewpoints vs hers, but these conversations are really interfering with my sleep. Evenings seem to be the worse for her adapting to widowhood and I feel the need to provide a shoulder but it certainly is taking it's toll.
This is really nice of you, giving your time and compassion to your neighbor and your sister. I hope she is involved in some sort of grief counseling group, or is willing to join one. All of life's normal tragedies become so much worse in the grips of this pandemic.

Snip:
Newly confirmed infections in the U.S. were running at all-time highs of well over 100,000 per day, pushing the total to more than 10 million and eclipsing 1 million since Halloween. There are now 61,964 people hospitalized, according to the COVID Tracking Project.

Several states posted records Tuesday, including over 12,600 new cases in Illinois, 10,800 in Texas and 7,000 in Wisconsin.

Deaths — a lagging indicator, since it takes time for people to get sick and die — are climbing again, reaching an average of more than 930 a day.

Hospitals are getting slammed. And unlike the earlier outbreaks, this one is not confined to a region or two.

“The virus is spreading in a largely uncontrolled fashion across the vast majority of the country,” said Dr. William Schaffner, an infectious-disease expert at Vanderbilt University.
US hits record COVID-19 hospitalizations amid virus surge | WKRN News 2

To further prevent the spread of COVID-19, the Allegany County Department of Health is recommending that Allegany County residents should ask family, friends and neighbors not to travel this Thanksgiving. In addition, any college students who are returning home should get a COVID-19 test before returning.

The department of health is also recommending the following low risk activities:

• Prepare traditional recipes for family, friends and/or neighbors — especially those who are at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 — and deliver the food in a way that doesn't involve contact with others.
    • The department of health suggests leaving the food on their porch or doorway and calling to let them know it's there. You can wave and talk from a distance.
  • Drop off a holiday food basket filled with family favorite recipes and the ingredients to make them.
  • Have a virtual dinner. Share recipes with friends and family so everyone can enjoy their favorites.
  • Send pictures of your holiday meal.
  • Shopping online rather than in person on Thanksgiving day or the days following.
  • Watch sports events, parades and movies from home.
  • Have a family game day.
Allegany County Department of Health releases Thanksgiving COVID-19 guidance | wgrz.com

There are several factors that contribute to the risk of getting and spreading COVID-19 at small in-person gatherings. In combination, these factors will create various amounts of risk:

• Community levels of COVID-19 – High or increasing levels of COVID-19 cases in the gathering location, as well as in the areas where attendees are coming from, increase the risk of infection and spread among attendees. Family and friends should consider the number of COVID-19 cases in their community and in the community where they plan to celebrate when deciding whether to host or attend a gathering. Information on the number of cases in an area can often be found on the local health department website.
  • Exposure during travel – Airports, bus stations, train stations, public transport, gas stations, and rest stops are all places travelers can be exposed to the virus in the air and on surfaces.
  • Location of the gathering – Indoor gatherings, especially those with poor ventilation (for example, small enclosed spaces with no outside air), pose more risk than outdoor gatherings.
  • Duration of the gathering – Gatherings that last longer pose more risk than shorter gatherings. Being within 6 feet of someone who has COVID-19 for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more greatly increases the risk of becoming sick and requires a 14-day quarantine.
  • Number and crowding of people at the gathering – Gatherings with more people pose more risk than gatherings with fewer people. CDC does not have a limit or recommend a specific number of attendees for gatherings. The size of a holiday gathering should be determined based on the ability of attendees from different households to stay 6 feet (2 arm lengths) apart, wear masks, wash hands, and follow state, local, territorial, or tribal health and safety laws, rules, and regulations.
  • Behaviors of attendees prior to the gathering – Individuals who did not consistently adhere to social distancing (staying at least 6 feet apart), mask wearing, handwashing, and other prevention behaviors pose more risk than those who consistently practiced these safety measures.
  • Behaviors of attendees during the gathering – Gatherings with more safety measures in place, such as mask wearing, social distancing, and handwashing, pose less risk than gatherings where fewer or no preventive measures are being implemented. Use of alcohol or drugs may alter judgment and make it more difficult to practice COVID-19 safety measures.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Hospital staffing issues
More at link
‘We have a childcare crisis;’ Mass. hospital staffing levels strained by remote learning

This article first appeared on the Boston Business Journal’s website.

Remote schooling demands and concerns over the coronavirus have created new staffing gaps for health care systems, which say they are struggling to find people to fill necessary roles.

Months after patient volume was slashed due to coronavirus lockdowns and precautions, hospitals and doctor groups have largely rebounded, bringing in patients who delayed care as well as people who would have normally come to the hospital for routine services.

But finding the staff to care for that influx hasn’t always been easy, and several health executives say they have confronted staffing challenges as their workforce struggles to balance their jobs with increased demands with parental and health challenges.

The pressures exist for employees in every industry across the state. But they are perhaps more acute within the health care sector, both because the work is largely done in person, and because of the risks front line workers have in potentially contracting the virus.

“We’re open in all of our sites, but we’re having trouble finding staff,” said Dr. Steven Strongwater, president and CEO for the state’s largest independent physician group, Atrius Health. “And that has to do with the fact that there are people who are either afraid to come back who have a chronic illness, and so they won’t see patients who have potentially have Covid, or who have major childcare concerns and despite what I think are fairly aggressive efforts on our part — short of setting up our own childcare program — there are people who just have not been able to come back.”

Kim Hollon, president and CEO of Signature Healthcare, said seven people resigned from their jobs because of childcare issues caused by schools going remote. Another 25 employees have shifted schedules or reduced hours to accommodate school schedules.

Massachusetts reports 2,047 new COVID cases, 21 deaths as hospitals brace for ‘second wave’

Also several hospitals closing to visitors again. Others limiting access. Full speed ahead with elective procedures and back to school plans. Gov Baker talking about field hospitals “more details to follow.”

Last edited:
Another COVID-19 lockdown a ‘hard sell’ in Charlotte despite data showing worse spread — The Charlotte Observer

“The average number of people in Mecklenburg County diagnosed with COVID-19 each day has nearly doubled over the last month. While more restrictions may be needed to slow the spread of the virus Public Health Director Gibbie Harris says that would be “a really hard sell in our community.”

“Harris said Tuesday she doesn’t have the individual authority to enact a stay-at-home order, intended to encourage social distancing and limit close interactions in public.”

Sigh.

Restaurants, gyms, hotels and houses of worship are among the 10 percent of locations that would appear to account for 80 percent of the infections, according to research published in the journal Nature on Tuesday.

“These are places that are smaller, more crowded, and people dwell there longer,” said study co-author and Stanford University Professor Jure Leskovec at a media briefing on the research, CNN reported.

Reducing the establishments’ capacity to 20 percent, as opposed to shutting them down entirely, could curb transmissions by 80 percent, the prof said.

New study reveals the locations at highest risk of spreading COVID-19
Maybe 20% capacity wouldn’t be sustainable for commercial activity but it could improve worship and community activities as relates to the spread.

Iowa numbers and news today: As of 10:00-11:00 a.m., we had 4,764 new confirmed cases for a total of 166,021 of which 104,211 had recovered (+1,297). 26 more were reported to have passed for a total of 1,898. There are 61,810 active positive cases. The positivity rate in the last 24 hrs. was 48%. There were 230 hospitalized in the last 24 hrs. for a total of 1,190 (+55). Here are the daily age group totals: 0-17: 15,426 (+482); 18-40: 72,254 (+1,939); 41-60: 47,014 (+1,434); 61-80: 24,360 (744); & 81+: 6,929 (+165). Nov. 11: 4,764 new COVID-19 cases, 26 more deaths, hospitalizations take another jump
Iowa COVID-19 Information
Thousands expected in the UNI Dome for state football semi-finals and finals
Starmont closing schools Friday amid rise in COVID-19 cases
12 Iowa schools or districts granted waivers for temporary remote learning due to COVID-19 7 schools on this list I had not heard about until today.
* On a side note, IMO although it has been in MSM, the Test Iowa sites are all closed today and closed early yesterday. Many people are having difficulty scheduling tests because they are full and having to wait up to a week. Today's closure will most likely result in lower numbers toward the weekend. Again all IMO.

Good for you! now you have me wondering, was the house a contender?

The housing market is crazy here. I don't understand landlords, apartment rent is being raised, to the point where is cheaper to pay mortgage.

Housing market is crazy here, houses are selling OVER ask, which is amazing for Montana.

I read somewhere, that when people are "Staying Home" all of the time, people are really evaluating what they need for homeschooling, teleworking. The needs are changing.

The CDC now (finally!) says masks protect the wearer:
Scientific Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Conclusions

Experimental and epidemiological data support community masking to reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2. The prevention benefit of masking is derived from the combination of source control and personal protection for the mask wearer. The relationship between source control and personal protection is likely complementary and possibly synergistic14, so that individual benefit increases with increasing community mask use. Further research is needed to expand the evidence base for the protective effect of cloth masks and in particular to identify the combinations of materials that maximize both their blocking and filtering effectiveness, as well as fit, comfort, durability, and consumer appeal. Adopting universal masking policies can help avert future lockdowns, especially if combined with other non-pharmaceutical interventions such as social distancing, hand hygiene, and adequate ventilation.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/health/masks-cdc-updated-guidance/index.html
(CNN)Wearing a mask can help protect you, not just those around you, from coronavirus transmission, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in new guidance Tuesday. The statement was an update to previous guidance suggesting the main benefit of mask wearing was to help prevent infected people from spreading the virus to others.

seriously.
sigh
I'm still gonna tell people "it's not about you"

Leaked recordings reveal WHO’s private analysis of pandemic

NBA issues COVID-19 protocols for potential fans (report)

Worcester considering using part of DCU Center for federal court trials
WORCESTER — During its 38-year history the DCU Center has hosted a wide array of entertainment and sporting events, as well as graduations, proms, weddings, trade shows, conferences and even city inaugural exercises.

The convention center of the city-owned facility was used as a field hospital during the local spike in the COVID-19 pandemic in the spring and as an overflow shelter for homeless residents who tested positive for the coronavirus.

Could a courtroom be in the cards next for the building?

City Manager Edward M. Augustus Jr. told the City Council Tuesday night that the city is entertaining a request from the U.S. District Court in Worcester to see if it can hold some of its trials in the ballroom area of the convention center.

He said federal court officials are looking at that option to allow for more social distancing at trials.

Augustus said use of the ballroom area on the upper floor of the convention center may provide a much-needed source of revenue for the DCU Center, which is under financial pressure because it has been unable to host any events or public gatherings since mid-March.

The U.S. District Court in Worcester is in the Harold D. Donohue Federal Building and United States Courthouse at 595 Main St.

The limited space in courtrooms has posed a challenge for social distancing during trials.

Under Phase 4 of Massachusetts' reopening plan, convention centers and arenas like the DCU Center are not allowed to host any public events until the development of a treatment or vaccine for COVID-19.

Because of the uncertainty about when a vaccine will become available, no date has been set for when the DCU Center will be able to open to the public and host events again, according to Timothy J. McGourthy, the city's chief financial officer.

ASM Global, the private management company that operates the DCU Center for the city, has reported a net income loss of slightly more than $1 million for the fiscal year that ended June 30, and it has projected a deficit of $1.475 million for the period from July 1 through Dec. 31, McGourthy said.

"This deficit derives from the lack of event income, coupled with ongoing required operating costs in the areas of personnel, building utilities and vendor maintenance agreements," he wrote in a report that went before the City Council Tuesday night.

"The city is working closely with ASM Global to monitor ongoing operating costs and identify areas for additional cost reduction," he added.

More:Historic photos: Worcester Centrum, DCU Center concerts A through Z

McGourthy said ASM Global has worked to limit the shortfall by instituting hiring and spending freezes and is operating at a skeletal staffing level.

He said the city is also working to secure potential "warm site" designation from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, allowing certain DCU Center operating costs from when it served as a field hospital to be reimbursed.

The field hospital was operated by UMass Memorial Medical Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa