Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sat, August 21, 2021, 10:43 AM

The bottleneck, however, has little to do with a lack of space. Nearly 30% of Singing River’s 500 beds are empty. With 169 unfilled nursing positions, administrators must keep the beds empty.

'Nursing Is in Crisis': Staff Shortages Put Patients at Risk

Cyndy O’Brien, an emergency room nurse at Ocean Springs Hospital on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi, could not believe her eyes as she arrived for work.

There were people sprawled out in their cars gasping for air as three ambulances with gravely ill patients idled in the parking lot.

Just inside the front doors, a crush of anxious people jostled to get the attention of an overwhelmed triage nurse.

“It’s like a war zone,” said O’Brien, who is the patient care coordinator at Singing River, a small health system near the Alabama border that includes Ocean Springs. “We are just barraged with patients and have nowhere to put them.”

Only Half My Family Is Vaccinated, And I’m Exhausted From COVID-Worry

Highlights from article

If you’re freaked out over the Delta variant, you aren’t alone. Out of my family of six, half of us are vaccinated, while half of us aren’t, the numbers are teaching us that our children are more at-risk than ever before.

Three of my kids are under age ten. Many of my family members and friends are in the same boat. Which leaves us begging the question, what are we supposed to be doing right now, especially now that it’s back-to-school time?

Over the past year and half (and counting), our family has tried our best to follow the rules— However, we are still stuck in a “but what about” place when it comes to many situations.

Take, for example, getting together with our extended families. We haven’t attended a wedding, funeral, birthday party, or any other event this entire time.

I’m tired of carrying (what feels like) the weight of this pandemic on our family. We see on social media all the fun others are having and feel resentful, jealous, angry, and disappointed.

It seems there are two camps: those who take the virus seriously and follow the precautions and those who have thrown caution to the wind and are living their best lives.

To top it all off, my kids have only been back to school for a week, and I’ve received e-mails from both schools about students testing positive.

I’m disheartened and am facing extreme virus decision fatigue, all because it feels as though half of my family will be OK while the other half, my youngest children, will possibly not.

Last edited:
The WHO Africa chief said rolling out booster shots 'makes a mockery of vaccine equity' as the US plans to offer them to most citizens

While the US announces plans to offer third shots, just 2% of the 1.3 billion people living in Africa have been fully vaccinated, and the more contagious Delta variant has now reached 40 of 54 countries in the continent, Moeti said on Thursday.

According to Our World in Data, only 1.3% of people in low-income countries have received at least one shot of vaccine, compared to 58% in high-income countries.

- Dr @MoetiTshidi #COVID19
Aug 19, 2021
"Moves by some countries globally, to introduce booster shots threaten the promise of a brighter tomorrow for #Africa. As some richer countries hoard vaccines, they make a mockery of vaccine equity."

"I know there's some world leaders who say America shouldn't get a third shot until other countries get their first shot. I disagree," President Joe Biden said on Wednesday, VOA reported

"We can take care of America and help the world at the same time."

"We will be donating more than 200 million, twice that number, additional doses to countries," he said, adding that the US intends to donate more than 600 million doses abroad.

Last edited:
I was sick for an entire 4 days after my second Pfizer. Headache, chills, fever, achy. Still glad I did it but it was no walk in the park.

Sorry to hear that. The good news is that side effects indicate your body is busy producing the antibodies you need.

Getting my 2nd shot in 12 days. After 1st one just sore arm. After 2nd one? Guess I'll find out.....:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that. The good news is that side effects indicate your body is busy producing the antibodies you need.

Getting my 2nd shot in 12 days. After 1st one just sore arm. After 2nd one? Guess I'll find out.....:rolleyes:

My Kindle app keeps track of how many days I have read, days I have missed reading...in over two years, I have missed two days of reading, both days were the 3rd and 4th day after my 2nd vaccine shot.

I didn't even realize that I felt that badly, until I was looking at those stats, wondering why I missed 2 days of reading...Bingo!

My Kindle app keeps track of how many days I have read, days I have missed reading...in over two years, I have missed two days of reading, both days were the 3rd and 4th day after my 2nd vaccine shot.

I didn't even realize that I felt that badly, until I was looking at those stats, wondering why I missed 2 days of reading...Bingo!

Mickey, it stands out to me that you say 3rd and 4th days.

I thought it more likely to be the 1st and 2nd day for side effects.

Thanks for the heads up. I won't plan alot for the first 4 days.

Only Half My Family Is Vaccinated, And I’m Exhausted From COVID-Worry

Highlights from article

If you’re freaked out over the Delta variant, you aren’t alone. Out of my family of six, half of us are vaccinated, while half of us aren’t, the numbers are teaching us that our children are more at-risk than ever before.

Three of my kids are under age ten. Many of my family members and friends are in the same boat. Which leaves us begging the question, what are we supposed to be doing right now, especially now that it’s back-to-school time?

Over the past year and half (and counting), our family has tried our best to follow the rules— However, we are still stuck in a “but what about” place when it comes to many situations.

Take, for example, getting together with our extended families. We haven’t attended a wedding, funeral, birthday party, or any other event this entire time.

I’m tired of carrying (what feels like) the weight of this pandemic on our family. We see on social media all the fun others are having and feel resentful, jealous, angry, and disappointed.

It seems there are two camps: those who take the virus seriously and follow the precautions and those who have thrown caution to the wind and are living their best lives.

To top it all off, my kids have only been back to school for a week, and I’ve received e-mails from both schools about students testing positive.

I’m disheartened and am facing extreme virus decision fatigue, all because it feels as though half of my family will be OK while the other half, my youngest children, will possibly not.

“I’m tired of carrying (what feels like) the weight of this pandemic on our family.”

Yes.
It feels like it’s a heavy weight that will never lift off your shoulders.

Do you see your grandchildren or your parents? Can’t do both.

After a year and a half of daily struggles and stress of trying to do the right thing - there are days I just feel like hiding in the closet.

There are times I wish I only had to worry about myself.
JMO

I'm thinking maybe I should stock up on at least a few months of my dog's heartworm preventative in case these idiots cause a shortage of products with ivermectin like they did with hydrochloroquine.

'Stop it': FDA warns people not to take veterinary drugs to treat Covid-19

upload_2021-8-21_16-6-7.png

"You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously, y'all. Stop it," the FDA tweeted from its official account on Saturday, alongside a consumer update detailing why the drug can be unsafe for humans.

upload_2021-8-21_16-7-30.png

Ivermectin, which is not an anti-viral drug, is generally used to treat or prevent parasites in animals.

These animal drugs are often highly concentrated because they are used for large animals like horses and cows, which can weigh a lot more than a human, the FDA update reads. Such high doses can be highly toxic in humans.

“I’m tired of carrying (what feels like) the weight of this pandemic on our family.”

Yes.
It feels like it’s a heavy weight that will never lift off your shoulders.

Do you see your grandchildren or your parents? Can’t do both.

After a year and a half of daily struggles and stress of trying to do the right thing - there are days I just feel like hiding in the closet.

There are times I wish I only had to worry about myself.
JMO

Yup agree. Easier if we only had to worry about ourselves. I have a family member who won't get vaccinated....GRR........!

I Took My 12-Year-Old To A Press Conference About COVID Safety, And All Hell Broke Loose

(Offensive Material From Anti-Mask Group)

Things continued to get more heated as the press conference continued. When a doctor, a woman of color, spoke, someone in the crowd yelled, “illegal alien!” and “Nazi!”

When a Black man tried to keep the anti-mask folks from crowding the speakers, a woman cried, “I can’t breathe” in a mocking tone. A local NPR affiliate reported that later, that same woman swiped at the man when he held the microphone for one of the speakers.

Unfortunately, children were not spared from the anti-mask group’s harassment. When a 16 year old girl spoke about losing her family in India to COVID, someone in the crowd yelled, “I don’t give a *advertiser censored*!”

Even my 12-year-old daughter was bullied. A woman shoved her phone in my daughter’s face and demanded that she say that no children have died of COVID.

As the mood grew more intense, my daughter, who is known for her fierceness, nestled close to me. I held my arm tightly around her for protection.

Last edited:
You made me LOL Sundog. It's currently a science fiction end of the world scenario. Like when zombies are running loose and you need to hide behind walls barricaded and manned by armed soldiers. Notice I said "currently a science fiction scenario" :)

No, it’s something people really believe the government is going to do TO them, not FOR them. See below.

Its a conspiracy theory :confused:

Yes, the FEMA Camp idea is a conspiracy theory about government-run internment camps where conservatives will be held, not an end-of-the-world scenario.
FEMA camps conspiracy theory - Wikipedia

The FEMA Camp conspiracy theory has had various ideas of “camps” including Walmart.
Walmart Closure Conspiracy Theories

<RSBM>
I really hope the people in lockdown in Aus and NZ can hold on, 4000 at a protest could be catastrophic with lower vaccine rates, outside or not.

I think the lockdowns, state border closures, and/or strict restrictions will hold up, because the huge majority support them. They will hold up until we can reach a certain level of vaccinations. (Perhaps 70-80%.)

Regardless of what MSM has been saying, Australia has never had a goal of Covid Zero. We have always had a goal of Covid Suppression, and to keep community cases as close to zero as possible. It is impossible to have zero covid when we are bringing home Aussies from all over the world. And when flight crew from other countries bring covid to us.

Since June 16th, NSW has now had 11,395 locally acquired cases of covid, and 68 deaths. It is not going to go away. But it will be suppressed, as much as possible, by all states here. (Perhaps a little less in NSW, because Gladys seems to have a different ideology - which favours big business.)

For now, our goal is to vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate. And keep people alive while we are doing so. Then things will ease up a bit. imo

24 July 2020
National Cabinet recommitted to the suppression strategy to address COVID-19. The goal remains suppression of COVID-19 until a point in time a vaccine or effective treatments are available, with the goal of no local community transmission.
National Cabinet | Prime Minister of Australia

16 July 2021
National Cabinet has agreed to a suppression strategy for COVID-19 with the goal of no community transmission.
National Cabinet Statement | Prime Minister of Australia

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) statistics - News

So is this the case at all State borders?? These huge waits. Or is it particular th Queensland for specific reasons? Like work, I guess.

Keep us informed of the Chase!!!!!

No, there are not huge lines at all state borders (other than supplies waiting to get in - as all truck drivers must be checked for negative covid test results).

Qld has these lines because travel between Qld and (contaminated) NSW is very popular. Families can live in both states, families can have holiday homes in both states, people can work in both states. And people from other states travel through NSW to get to Qld - so they enter Qld at the shared border between Qld and NSW.

Qld is a big holiday destination for many people. Think Surfers Paradise and Great Barrier Reef.

Last edited:
Wow! Imagine being there with your little girl and having this be the experience. These people sound a lot like the people in my neighborhood. I’m sorry, who are the sheep? Not the doctors and scientists. Not the medical workers battling through an emergency room full of patients who have no beds or gurneys. What in the actual world?
I Took My 12-Year-Old To A Press Conference About COVID Safety, And All Hell Broke Loose

(Offensive Material From Anti-Mask Group)

Things continued to get more heated as the press conference continued. When a doctor, a woman of color, spoke, someone in the crowd yelled, “illegal alien!” and “Nazi!”

When a Black man tried to keep the anti-mask folks from crowding the speakers, a woman cried, “I can’t breathe” in a mocking tone. A local NPR affiliate reported that later, that same woman swiped at the man when he held the microphone for one of the speakers.

Unfortunately, children were not spared from the anti-mask group’s harassment. When a 16 year old girl spoke about losing her family in India to COVID, someone in the crowd yelled, “I don’t give a ****!”

Even my 12-year-old daughter was bullied. A woman shoved her phone in my daughter’s face and demanded that she say that no children have died of COVID.

As the mood grew more intense, my daughter, who is known for her fierceness, nestled close to me. I held my arm tightly around her for protection.

Reading the last few posts, it would appear the world is going completely mad.

Yup! ("Rabbit Hole" Alert ... going down the "rabbit hole")

Skeptical of coronavirus shots, some patients demand blood transfusions only from the unvaccinated

"We are definitely aware of patients who have refused blood products from vaccinated donors," said Julie Katz Karp, who directs the blood bank and transfusion medicine program at Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals in Philadelphia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard